PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Starting Problems

DRaf
10-31-2005, 01:18 AM
A friend of mine is having trouble with his Jeep. It won't start, and I tried to take a look at it to determine the problem, but was not too much help to him. We tried jumping the car to see if it was the battery, but that didn't work, so i'm not sure what the problem is. It doesn't try to turn over at all. If someone could come out and look at his Jeep and maybe determine the problem he would greatly apreciate it.

Sharpe
10-31-2005, 01:27 AM
And when you're done with him come fix pigpen, same damn problem.

agjohn02
10-31-2005, 01:34 AM
is it clicking but not turning over?

high mileage?

beat the starter with a hammer and try again. if that doesnt work, beat it again, but harder this time, and try again.

stx4wheeler
10-31-2005, 03:52 AM
yr, make, and model? possibly ignition solenoid, starter, who knows, did you check all fuses?

DRaf
10-31-2005, 12:36 PM
It's a 97 TJ, about 80k miles or so, when you try to turn it over nothing happens ...and by nothing, i mean nothing. the fuses are fine.... it's a daily driver that just went dead when he went out take the car out one day. Mainly was just trying to isolate what could be the problem, and/if someone could take some time out and look at it, cause most of you guys know an assload about cars.

agjohn02
10-31-2005, 01:15 PM
sure, ill look at it. bring it by after work.

agjohn02
10-31-2005, 01:16 PM
seriously though...

give me a ring after 5 or so. 361-460-1251

CheapJeep
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
My proff canceled my other class for today so I'm free now if you need some help. Give me a ring, number's in my sig.

73bronco
10-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Well you see the problem is its a Jeep!!! Just go ahead and send that thing to the scrap pile and buy a real truck. hahaha

DRaf
11-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Sweet i will give you guys a call sometime tomorrow if that works ... i can't "bring it by after work." cause the problem is it doesn't start, but i will def give you guys a call tomorrow. Thanks.

bburris
11-01-2005, 02:26 AM
a '97 TJ, huh? I'm pretty sure that's the problem right there. Start with battery connections, then check the starter like John said. If none of that works, you might try to unhook the negative lead from the battery for about 15 minutes and then hook it back up and try again. Sometimes that resets the computer.

Does your friend leave the top off a whole lot? Has it been raining in College Station lately? If so there's a whole lot of electrical problems that it could be, but I don't think they would keep it from trying to crank...

AggieTJ2007
11-01-2005, 01:16 PM
also get yourself a test light so you can figure out where there is power and where there isn't

oh yeah, the starter solinoid is on the starter so you can try to jump it w/ a screwdriver and see if it does anything, there should at least be sparks

DRaf
11-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks John ... the problem was with the starter, and banging on the starter ended up being good advice so thanks to all who shared their imput. The battery also more than likely needs to be changed. Thanks again guys.