PDA

View Full Version : 350 trans question

J Cooper
11-14-2005, 07:35 PM
so what sound does a auto make when the torque converter is going out or you have something ****ed up with it... like if i slow doing coming to a stop at the last second you your a loud pop/click and same thing if im about to stop and still rolling like speeding up a little and back down i can make it pop back and forth. and now that i put the shifter in i ahve a small hole in the floor until i fid a boot for it, and i hear it when im driving now too.
and if i put the trans in nutral and just wiggle the rear drive shaft back and forth you can hear the same popping. and you can feel it when you put you hand on the trans.

torque converter? cluch packs? shift linkages? tail shaft bearing?

Sharpe
11-14-2005, 08:44 PM
I would say any funny noise coming from an auto is a bad sign. Start shopping for a new tranny.

mudtoy67
11-14-2005, 09:01 PM
It just pop kind of like tapping on the side of the trans with a socket wrench, isn't it? Does it only happen when it shifts? Or has it gotten worse? I asked a guy at Oliver Brothers a while back and he said that it shouldn't be any problem.

CheapJeep
11-14-2005, 09:05 PM
I think it could be the torque converter slipping or maybe shift linkage getting loose. I can wiggle my front driveshaft back and forth and hear the same type of noise, but I think that may be normal for my autotrac crap. I dunno, Eric should know better than anyone.

agjohn02
11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
torque converter is gonna be more of a rattle/ light grinding noise. till it gets bad, then it s a bad rattle/grinding noise. all the other stuff inside the tranny housing is black magic and shouldnt be talked about. shhhhhhhh

eight
11-14-2005, 09:19 PM
I was waiting to see what Oliver or Krebs had to say. But now I'm bored. It sounds like its drivetrain slop. Makes a pop when going from power to coast and back. Could be in transmission, t-case, u-joints, driveshaft, differential, or most often a combination of all the above. A torque converter or clutches won't make noise like that, and I don't think it would be shift linkages. If the tailshaft bearing went out it would probably vibrate. Lots of vehicles have drivetrain slop and run many years. You will find what was making the noise when it stops.

J Cooper
11-15-2005, 01:54 AM
yeah i actually think its just the u-joint combined with a little slop... i was just expecting the worst. it shifts fine and doesnt slip. so im pretty sure thats what it is after inspecting it tonight.