PDA

View Full Version : beadlocks

CRaSHnBuRN
11-23-2005, 06:06 AM
Lately I've been having a problem with burping tires, loosing beads, as well as getting stuff stuck between the bead and the wheel. At gilmer I had problems all weekend, and ended up having to cut a night wheeling trip short because of it. So I guess its time I start looking at beadlocks. I figure I have three options, buy a DIY set of rings, get ready made beadlocks, or get hummer wheels and recenter them. Honestly, the ready made ones are to expensive for me. A set of weld on rings seems like a good, semi cheap way to go, but there is on problem. I have heavily offset wheels (2.5), so the centers are reversed, which makes it next to impossible to get a tire back on it once you beadlock it. So that means I'll need a different set of wheels, which adds to the cost (and I have to be careful with the backspacing to get a non-reversed center, yet be enough to clear the springs). Option 3 is the H1 wheels, which I like for many reasons. They're double beadlocked, pretty stout, and I think they would look sweet on the buggy. They're pretty cheap, but would require recentering (but I could choose the backspacing this way). USA6x6 has some good prices on pressed centers for these wheels. But then I would need new tires, so the price gets even higher.

So what does everyone think would be the best option? Or does someone have a better suggestion? I don't want to do the rim screws, and the last time I burped a tire, I had like 9 psi in it, so I don't think more pressure is really the answer either

Cajun
11-23-2005, 06:50 AM
My 'laws have 4 38.5 x 14.5 x 16.5 SXs if you want cheap tires for a while should you decide to run hummer wheels. They all <50% and have a bit of dry rot IIRC, but they'll probably work fine for a while on a rig as light as yours.

CRaSHnBuRN
11-23-2005, 06:55 AM
would you mind PMing me with a price and any pics if you would have them?

CRaSHnBuRN
11-23-2005, 06:56 AM
Also, you run the H1 wheels, right? What is your opinion of them?

Doug Krebs
11-23-2005, 08:54 AM
If he's not interested I PMed you. I could really use a set for clayton, I posted a thread a while back looking for tires. Thanks!

StevenAg03
11-23-2005, 09:15 AM
if you get new centers, stay away from USA6X6...his customer service and quality sucks donky balls. i talked with daniel quite a bit a couple years ago via email. he was nice as could be until he realized that i didnt want to pay him to "refurbish" a set of rockwells. after that it was next to impossible to get him to respond.

my vote is stazworks.

Sharpe
11-23-2005, 02:13 PM
USA6x6 was horrible a couple years ago, but from what I've seen Daniel has got his **** together as a business man and has a competent certified professional welder making the wheels now. If you wanted to avoid having him do the wheels, you could just buy the centers seperately and do them yourself, I may end up doing that some day.

bburris
11-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Every person I know in Corpus that has recentered hummer wheels has ordered their wheel centers from USA6x6. Every person I know that has ordered them has received at least one wrong center.

One guy got three 6x5.5 and two 5x5.5 Another guy got two 8 lug, two 6 lug and a 5 lug. I can't remember the other combinations. The order was corrected a week or so later, and he told them to just keep the other centers, but that's a pain if you're on a time constraint. On the other hand, they all combined what they had and sold a complete set of 6 lug and a complete set of 5 lug to other people aroud town.

eight
11-23-2005, 05:06 PM
So how much are wheel centers now? I'd like to put me 38s on a set for offroad wheels, and get a set of 37" hummer tires to put on my current wheels for street.

CRaSHnBuRN
11-23-2005, 06:16 PM
I would never pay to have him recenter the wheels, I would just get the centers and do it myself. Last I checked his website had the six lug centers I needed for 37 dollars a piece. From what I've seen I don't think stazworks would be nearly that cheap. Daniels are also pressed centers, which I believe you have to pay more for with stazworks. Kopecki, you may also look at the ones that performance cryogenics sells (look on pirates vendor section). His prices are decent, but he only does 8 lugs

Cajun
11-26-2005, 12:32 PM
To answer the question about the H1 wheels, I really like them. The only gripe I have is that all 4 of mine have slow leaks, but I'm sure it's because of something I did wrong when I mounted my tires. I've had one leak down to just this side of flat overnight once and was able to drive it on the trailer without any issue. I'm running Stazworks UMHMWPE beadlocks instead of the factory rubber ones.

agjohn02
11-27-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm running Stazworks UMHMWPE beadlocks instead of the factory rubber ones.

gazoontite

redcagepatrol
11-27-2005, 10:34 PM
buy wheel adapters instead. They are about $100 a set and I think can be as thin at 3/4"

tigweld
11-28-2005, 10:56 AM
buy wheel adapters instead. They are about $100 a set and I think can be as thin at 3/4"

Ghetto!!! get the right backspacing from new wheels or recentered them

redcagepatrol
11-28-2005, 11:58 AM
it might be gheto but it's simple, cheap, and effective - all of which he is looking for

CRaSHnBuRN
11-28-2005, 12:25 PM
where have you found the spacers for that price? Most of the 6 lug to 8 lug stuff I've found was nearly a hundred bucks a piece, and wouldn't clear the toy hub (oddball dually wheel adapters). Even at around a 100 bucks a pair, its almost worth doing the new centers.

As for being ghetto, I have no problem with that. My whole rig is ghetto, so why change it now?