PDA

View Full Version : setting up gears

CRaSHnBuRN
11-29-2005, 11:48 AM
who here in town sets up gears, and who has the best prices? I heard aamco does it for around a 100 bucks. Do you think cooks napa may do it? (they're right down the road from me).

Or should I try doing it myself? Its just one toy diff, third member design of course. Right now I'm just checking if the total cost of this option is better than going a different route in my evil plans

Shaggy
11-29-2005, 11:53 AM
do it youself... i have the tool to check the backlash

bburris
11-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Aren't Toy thirds pretty easy to set up? If so and you can find someone to help out I'd say do it yourself.

CRaSHnBuRN
11-29-2005, 12:55 PM
How many people around here have set up their own gears? I wouldn't mind trying it if I could borrow the tools and had some help. Plus its something I would like to learn how to do anyway. I've heard toy diffs are not that hard to set up, and the third member design makes it much easier

Doug Krebs
11-29-2005, 01:45 PM
anyone have an inchpound torque wrench?

fbronco86
11-29-2005, 01:56 PM
How many people around here have set up their own gears? I wouldn't mind trying it if I could borrow the tools and had some help. Plus its something I would like to learn how to do anyway. I've heard toy diffs are not that hard to set up, and the third member design makes it much easier

I have done it. Its not hard. Get a dial indicator with magnetic base I bet you can do it.

Fredo
11-29-2005, 02:00 PM
I have done it. Its not hard. Get a dial indicator with magnetic base I bet you can do it.

Do a set of 4.10s in a 7.5 GM 10bolt and get them to be quiet. If you can do that, then you can say it's not hard.

RCcola55
11-29-2005, 02:31 PM

i got one, i think.

StevenAg03
11-29-2005, 02:55 PM
i have...in a third member axle and a regular axle. the easiest part about the whole third member thing is that you can do it on the work bench.

redcagepatrol
11-29-2005, 03:56 PM
me, Busa, Scooter, Cody etc... have all set up quite a few sets. I wouldn't set my own up on a tow rig or a daily driver though without the proper tools.

I just check the pattern with some grease or something and the backlash by hand. ie: "yep, that feels just right" and then throw it in the truck.

SO - do it yourself, the Toyota thirds are pretty darn easy

Fredo
11-29-2005, 04:05 PM
I just check the pattern with some grease or something and the backlash by hand. ie: "yep, that feels just right" and then throw it in the truck.

Ah, so THAT'S why you guys break so many 3rd members :flipoff2: :D

redcagepatrol
11-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Ah, so THAT'S why you guys break so many 3rd members :flipoff2: :D
partly...
1st time, one side of my weld broke
2nd time, gears, I was on my spare third member that I put in @ Clayton - this one broke because it was all my spare (second rate) parts... :flipoff2:

that's all since I built the Patrol. I re-installed the third member (because it leaked after installing it in 45 minutes in Mason and because I had a bent shaft) and found that many of the studs were bottomed out, stripped, loose, etc... that could have caused some flexing in the housing. I fixed all the studs and stuff before our last trip out West and I should be good for a while now - I hope

Shaggy
11-29-2005, 04:46 PM

i have one and have set up the gears in austins 60 and my front 44 that we put in adam's truck

eight
11-29-2005, 06:31 PM

I have one.

Doug Krebs
11-29-2005, 08:22 PM
I have one.

yes, we've been over this, you're too far away!

fbronco86
11-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Do a set of 4.10s in a 7.5 GM 10bolt and get them to be quiet. If you can do that, then you can say it's not hard.

I think its time you step up and let the camaro play with a big boy rearend. :gigem:

Then I will come over and help you set up the gears.

robertf03
11-29-2005, 08:38 PM
I think its time you step up and let the camaro play with a big boy rearend. :gigem:

Karl told me the something similar this weekend.