PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor

Shaggy
01-03-2006, 06:25 PM
When in Waco last week I went out to my ranch and picked up the old air compressor. This is the compressor I used to use in highschool when wheeling at my ranch. It is belt driven and always worked hella good. It is more than likely older than me. Well when i used it back then it was inside a building, since then we had a renter clear that building out and well it sat outside for probably atleast a year. the electric motor works, i tested it today, but the belt isnt tight enough to turn the pump. the pully on the motor is also chipped. I think it will still work without throwing belts if i can just get it tight. When loading it into the truck... note this is a heavy sum*****, i broke off the airhose line. this shouldnt be a hard fix but needs to be done nonetheless. i think the year outside may have something to do with it being so heavy( read: tank has lots of water in it) so i gotta drain this bad boy. I dont really know much about the pump or how to maintance it. i plan to atleast pull it all apart and clean it up really good. I will go out to the shop and snap a couple pics of it and get them up here shortly.

Shaggy
01-03-2006, 07:26 PM
here are some pics... it is a 3/4 horse motor... the gauge reads 300 psi max but i dont remember how high it goes

Graystroke
01-03-2006, 09:20 PM
looks like a good boat anchor. seriously, the amount of money and time to fix it wouldn't be worth it...and I don't think that thing will be pushing 300 PSI. I wouldn't trust the tank past a 100 PSI...no telling how thin the walls are now w/ all the rust that has been going on inside. my 2cents

fbronco86
01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
looks like a good boat anchor. seriously, the amount of money and time to fix it wouldn't be worth it...and I don't think that thing will be pushing 300 PSI. I wouldn't trust the tank past a 100 PSI...no telling how thin the walls are now w/ all the rust that has been going on inside. my 2cents

Yes all the water that was in the tank is kinda scary. If you plug it in I would be standing about 100 yards away for the first time. And you might want to have on some Z87 approved safety glasses just in case :)

CheapJeep
01-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Maybe take it to get pressure tested? :confused:

Shaggy
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
i already plugged it in.. the motor runs but the belt just spins... it isnt tight on the pump... but the pump turns fine when turning by hand... it worked good a few years ago so i figured it is worth messing with... and i dont plan on spending anymore money than a can of paint and maby a new belt... i am just gonna tear it apart to clean it up

BMFScout
01-04-2006, 09:10 AM
That pulley won't work like that more than likely. A new one can be had at Purvis. I say try it, just don't dump a bunch of money in it, the compressor in my shop is older than me, and it keeps chugging along.

Shaggy
01-04-2006, 04:10 PM
i dont plan to dump money on it that is what the bronco is for

BMFScout
01-04-2006, 04:13 PM
that belt is bigger than 1/2" too isn't it? Probably a "C" width, Purvis has or can get those too.

Shaggy
01-04-2006, 04:22 PM
ok thanks for the info.. i might mess with the compressor today when i get out there... depends if i wanna work on it or the bronco... we will see

Shaggy
01-04-2006, 08:21 PM
the belt is a "high-power II V-Bel. B42"
The tank says 1950 on it. I guess that is how old it is.
The plack on it says "American Brake Shoe Company.... Model B 211 A....Rochester, New York"
I took the motor and pump off... which turns out was the heavy part. The tank is still heavy but not as heavy as i though it would be. I drained it. There wasnt as much water in it as i suspected but a little rust came out of it. I hit it with a wirewheel on the angle grinder for a bit but my arms got tired... an uneven wire wheel vibrates like mad... I dont think i am gonna even bother tearing the pump apart if it works still but am gonna clean it up really good. I figure a new pully, belt, paint, and some tate lovin' and this could be a pretty nice air compressor... if not ill just put it on ebay :D

BMFScout
01-05-2006, 12:44 AM
it's a "B42" belt, Purvis will have that in stock, that is good too because the pulley will be cheaper and easier to get.

uglyota
01-05-2006, 01:33 AM
jimmy you crack me up

Seth
05-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, I 'm posting here to avoid starting a new thread, hopefully this is as good of thread as any to keep going.

I bought a compressor from A&M auction last summer for 10 bucks. 1992 model, good motor, compressor locked up.

Got a compressor for free to put on it. It's a little different, but I think I can make it fit just fine.

I am running hard lines in place of the old tubes. The compressor has two holes for output, one is 1/8" NPT the other is 1/4" NPT. Anyone know the diff between the two? Flem?

bburris
05-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Output to separator then quick connect and another for a pressure switch to kick the compressor motor on and off?

DRAGOONRANCH
05-12-2008, 11:16 PM
twin cylinder? maybe two stage if so???

Seth
05-13-2008, 08:41 AM
The pressure switch is teed off the main line into the tank, so I could plug it in that case. I don't think it is two stage, but could be wrong.

AggieTJ2007
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
the 1/8 line goes to the pressure switch so that when the switch kicks off it relieves the pressure in the compressor.

It makes it easier for the motor to start.

Make sure you have a check valve at the input of the tank

robertf03
05-14-2008, 11:59 PM
pipe plug

Seth
05-15-2008, 12:17 AM
already have it in there, just wanted to make sure it was not anything needed or that it would screw anything up. the piping to the tank is all black iron fittings. 4 long nipples, three elbows, one adapter, and two couplings. pretty kustom. I just hope the reducer seals to the male threads on the tank.