PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Chevy/GMC's

CheapJeep
01-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Just read in 4Wheel&Offroad about GM making a new hybrid 1/2 ton silvy and sierra in 2 and 4 wheel drive. "A 14kW electric induction motor is positioned between the 5.3 and 4l60 and replaces the conventional starter and alternator which shuts off the engine at idle and restarts it when the accelerator is depressed." Gets a couple more mpg. "And a 42 amp battery pack can be stored as well as 20 amps of 120 volt household like power through outlets in the cab or bed." I don't know if it's really worth the extra $1500 for the option? Your thoughts?

JeepPhisherman
01-07-2006, 09:05 PM
do the math. see how long it takes for you to start regaining money on gas, if not too long and hp and towing dont suffer, its worth it

CheapJeep
01-07-2006, 09:10 PM
That's what I was thinking. Most of your fuel is used by acceleration but saving some at idle would sure help. As well there would be benefits from the electrical side too. You wouldn't have to spend money on power inverters anymore? Hp would be the same too I'm guessing.

eight
01-08-2006, 10:24 PM
They made some Chevy/GMC hybrids a few years ago. They were GMC interior and Chevy exterior. They sold really cheap.

StevenAg03
01-09-2006, 12:31 AM
They made some Chevy/GMC hybrids a few years ago. They were GMC interior and Chevy exterior. They sold really cheap.

thats what i thought he was meaning at first as well...

uglyota
01-09-2006, 09:04 PM
is there still a $1000 tax credit for buying a hybrid car?
It's about time they put these into real production. A few years ago a limited run of hybrid silverados went out as fleet vehicles but I don't know how they fared.

Graystroke
01-09-2006, 11:58 PM
is there still a $1000 tax credit for buying a hybrid car?
It's about time they put these into real production. A few years ago a limited run of hybrid silverados went out as fleet vehicles but I don't know how they fared.
why so we can stop global warming! :flipoff2:
the military was buying them or specing them out. there were concepts of fully electric trucks that you could shut off the motor, switch to electric power and sneek up on the enemy.

Reckless
01-10-2006, 12:01 AM
switch to electric power and sneek up on the enemy.
but the armored versions would need some big *** motors and the buzzin of those would get anyones attention i bet