PDA

View Full Version : Boring TJ Throttle Body

BeachJeepin
01-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Does anybody have the equipment that is needed to do this? I think I would need a 60mm flap wheel and a rotary file (or something similar). Anybody have any experience doing this? I think it would be a good, cheap, college mod to do. Can anybody with some input?

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTBboring.htm

eight
01-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Me little brother jeep has a bored throttle body. It whistles.

BeachJeepin
01-25-2006, 12:05 PM
i have a throttle body spacer that whistles right now. Sometimes, People ask me if i have a turbo in there. Wait, what?

I'd like to do this to maybe get as least factory response back.... haha

BMFScout
01-25-2006, 12:17 PM
I read this thread hoping to see an unexcited throttle body...
What is it they say again about polishing a turd? Oh yes, I remember now, it can't be done. Build a mini-rock crawler instead, seems like a way more constructive way to waste your time...

BeachJeepin
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
IWhat is it they say again about polishing a turd? Oh yes, I remember now, it can't be done.

Obviously you aren't apart of the same club that i'm in. We've proven that saying to be wrong...

I want to see if anybody has a drill press i might be able to use... Maybe the rotary bit? It's a perfect project for someone with no money (me) who's been itching to change something, anything on the heep.

uglyota
01-25-2006, 01:09 PM
so you're just grinding a lip off the inside of your TB? Use a Dremel.
you can't think of anything that can be done cheaply to your jeep?
don't you live in a house with a garage and a welder?
Come to Lissa's house and "bump it" (wait that didn't come out right)
Then you might have something to work on :D

BeachJeepin
01-25-2006, 01:29 PM
two things, first taking out the lip that's inside the TB, then making the actual diameter of the TB and TB spacer a little bigger. Nope no welder.... wish i did. Not only that, I have no real experience welding, but would love to learn.

jerryg79
01-25-2006, 01:43 PM

me too

uglyota
01-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Smoothing the airflow by removing that lip is probably the main advantage of this mod. If the spacer is the same size as the inside of the lip, sell it on ebay. Unless you've had head work done, your throttle body was designed to flow enough air. Engineers are smart.
How is your intake set up? Finding ways to smooth/keep cool airflow from the filter will probably realize more real gains.
Or build an onboard welder!

Fredo
01-25-2006, 02:12 PM
this thread reminds me of the people I get asking me "how do I git more grunt outta that lil' 4cyl"

sasquatch
01-25-2006, 02:24 PM
are the gains worth the work on something like this?

Matt Conlee
01-25-2006, 02:26 PM
sorry robert beat me to it

get another spacer, j/k. but do you think this mod would actually be worth all that trouble. Do you personally know anybody with this mod because Iam sometmes sceptical of all the reviews that people write online.

agjohn02
01-25-2006, 02:44 PM

i got it too :gigem:

uglyota
01-25-2006, 04:28 PM
this thread reminds me of the people I get asking me "how do I git more grunt outta that lil' 4cyl"
2 or 3 hp or a little throttle response makes a huge difference when you only start with 100...

BMFScout
01-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I would venture to say that it will probably effect your idle. If they are cheep I would say experiment, good times. Take a bunch of pics and post your findings here.

AggieTJ2007
01-25-2006, 07:09 PM
if you would love to learn to weld, go to pawn shop...buy cheap craker box...buy rods and metal, and start welding

stx4wheeler
01-25-2006, 07:38 PM
they are only like 130 bucks at home depot for a lincoln arc, prolly cheaper at haror freight, i would recomend this before the spacer.

JeepPhisherman
01-25-2006, 08:21 PM
i think he's aiming towards free right now

if you want to learn a little bit about all sorts of material processes, ENTC 181 is a pretty decent class. I took it for the hell of it, and had a good time.

robertf03
01-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I guess you could half ass bore it with a dremel, but what are you going to do about the throttle plate? hole saw leftovers?