PDA

View Full Version : ford catalytic converter questions

Seth
09-26-2002, 04:28 PM
OK some of this is redundant from listserv and what not but im gonna ask all of it anyways. My truck has 2 cats. I dont want 2. SO i am going to take one off. the one in front is a 2 in 1 out type setup. The one in back is just normal. Are they both reg converters? or is the front one some kind of preconverter? the one in back is much easier to stick a piece of 3" in place for so i would rather do that one. I fig as long as I have at least one under there, if someone looks they will see a converter and i am ok.
2nd question, is there a shop around here that will do that? for cheap. like 20 bucks. I know someone at home who will. Thanks.
Seth

stinger7401
09-26-2002, 04:31 PM
hey seth way to post in the Official Club News forum instead of shop talk, great job man

BigRedFord04
09-27-2002, 12:32 AM
the front is some type of preconverter. no, you wont pass inspection w/o the 2nd one. the most popular thing to do is to have the front one hollowed out and stay w/ single exhaust from there to the muffler, except with the 3" out that the 1st converter has, you can run that all the way to a 3" in, dual out muffler, which will still give you a lot more flow. i cut my 1st cat off and have true duals and have had problems of the O2 sensor tube cracking b.c. it does not have the enough support on its own to keep from doing so. John @ Bryan Muffler is willing to work with you to get what you want done.

Seth
09-27-2002, 02:48 AM
for you stinger...."shut that ****s face before i come over their and **** start her head"

in other news....i will kick your teeth in for a smart ass remark like that

dont **** with me

ill talk tomorrow when im sober

Seth

StevenAg03
09-27-2002, 10:26 AM
mine also had two converters before i cut them off...i dont think there is any difference between the two other then one has one inlet and the other has two. when we put the new motor in my truck i had to cut the cats out to fit the headers in....i decided i didnt need no stinkin cats after that. its no problem to find a "KWALITY" shop here in town to inspect it. some place in bryan did mine and in Terrell its really eazy to get done....

i dont think they know how many cats came on your truck from the factory...if you only want one then only put one...

Chadnutz
09-27-2002, 12:03 PM
Go drive around Houston for a day and maybe you will understand why engineers designed and implemented cats, and also why they are required by law now. You probably won't even feel much of a difference, but all of the people in this country who gut/remove their cats sure do add to the polution. I know that an off roading forum is a bad place to talk about world conservation, but I happen to like breathing fresh air. After one day in Houston I was coughing up flem. Don't you people care about the quality of the air you breathe?

Krawler68
09-27-2002, 12:25 PM
It's not the cars that make the air in houston bad you dumb **** lick... It's the massed group of refineries south of the city that contribute to the OUTRAGEOUS smog levels there.

Cars actually produce less carbon monoxide than you would ever expect... the whole Cat BS is another bleeding heart greenie's campaign for a greener tomorrow, and doesn't amount to much.

Earth First.... We'll drill the rest of the universe later.

StevenAg03
09-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz
After one day in Houston I was coughing up flem.

i didnt think Robert got down like that....but thats why you spit and dont swallow...

Chadnutz
09-27-2002, 05:51 PM
Where is your degree to back this up?

I got into an argument with an old roommate about air pollution and comparing ICEs to burning straight oil in the atmosphere. I asked my brother about it. MEEN (2000), TAMU

Why do cars burn petroleum so much cleaner?

The gas is burned at a much higher temperature inside of you engine, which allows the air and fuel mix to break more thoroughly than just burning straight oil. Not only that, but the air/fuel ratio is better. Your O2 sensor tells your car to inject fuel to make the car rich-lean-rich-lean holding it to as close to perfect mix as it can get (stoichiometric point). As the exhaust goes through the catalytic converter, a catalyst breaks down the NOx (NO or NO2 molecules known to cause smog, acid rain, and harm to human mucus membranes) into N2 and O2. Over 60% of the atmosphere is N2 anyway, and it is not a harmful gas. O2 is obviously good. Then another catalyst takes CO and O2 and makes CO2. While not directly harmful, CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

When you gut/remove the cat you are letting all of the carbon monoxide (CO), NOx molecules, and Hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

Newer cars do run very clean. Older cars and out of tuned cars do not. While industry is a big contributor to smog in Houston, cars donate their fair share. I am not for eliminating gas burning engines. I just believe that there should be stricter laws on vehicle exhaust. When you go ****ing with that **** you are breaking the law and contributing to more pollution. I get so pissed when I see smokin' ass vehicles driving down the street. (AHEM A&M bus-ops AHEM)

Nutz

bburris
09-27-2002, 05:58 PM
the busses are diesels...that's not necessarily CO2 smog you see, I believe diesels actually blow out a lot of dust with their exhaust

Seth
09-27-2002, 07:05 PM
diesels are very clean actually -- the smoke they put out is not toxic chemicals, but soot type material instead.

AgDieseler
09-27-2002, 07:36 PM
The "black magic" of diesels consists of two primary ingredients: soot, and trace NOx gases. While the trace gases by far do the most harm, that does not mean that the diesel soot is benign to the overall environment.

Large quantities of diesel soot that linger in the atmosphere trap heat, thereby creating clouds and bringing rain to heavily polluted areas. Though the cause is known, there is little hard evidence to provide specific environmental consequences. But, the general consensus is that there is a destabilization of certain climates due to high levels of diesel soot. Most of these hypotheses are on findings for areas centered around Southern and Northern China.

Back to the point of the thread...
On a diesel powered vehicle, a Cat is little more than a power sink. The rare metals inside the Cat are not designed for diesel emissions, and just get clogged about ten times faster than a gasser's.

Dr. David Oliver PhD - jackpoopie

bburris
09-27-2002, 08:39 PM
hey nutz...you need to go find a tube of this stuff...http://offroadrepublic.com/fj40/pics-funnies/forum-thefinger.gif

StevenAg03
09-27-2002, 08:43 PM
Where is your degree to back this up?

I got into an argument with an old roommate about air pollution and comparing ICEs to burning straight oil in the atmosphere. I asked my brother about it. MEEN (2000), TAMU

Why do cars burn petroleum so much cleaner?

The gas is burned at a much higher temperature inside of you engine, which allows the air and fuel mix to break more thoroughly than just burning straight oil. Not only that, but the air/fuel ratio is better. Your O2 sensor tells your car to inject fuel to make the car rich-lean-rich-lean holding it to as close to perfect mix as it can get (stoichiometric point). As the exhaust goes through the catalytic converter, a catalyst breaks down the NOx (NO or NO2 molecules known to cause smog, acid rain, and harm to human mucus membranes) into N2 and O2. Over 60% of the atmosphere is N2 anyway, and it is not a harmful gas. O2 is obviously good. Then another catalyst takes CO and O2 and makes CO2. While not directly harmful, CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

When you gut/remove the cat you are letting all of the carbon monoxide (CO), NOx molecules, and Hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

Newer cars do run very clean. Older cars and out of tuned cars do not. While industry is a big contributor to smog in Houston, cars donate their fair share. I am not for eliminating gas burning engines. I just believe that there should be stricter laws on vehicle exhaust. When you go ****ing with that **** you are breaking the law and contributing to more pollution. I get so pissed when I see smokin' ass vehicles driving down the street. (AHEM A&M bus-ops AHEM)

Nutz

i dont think i have ever laughed so hard in my life as when i read this post. first you asked doug how he knows what he is talking about and then you agree with what he is saying. How exactly is your brother qualified to answer the question you asked him. he is a Mechanical Engineer, he was taught mechanics of stuff. i dont see him being any better to answer the question then doug. secondly, in the last paragraph, you are talking about the problems with gas engines and how there should be stricter laws on their exhaust. Your bitchin about gas engines that smoke and then blame bus ops for that problem. I dont know if anyone has told you or not, but the buses are diesel. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

chadnutz, your startin to remind me of one of those Kalifornians....always bitchin bout something....

Chadnutz
09-27-2002, 09:35 PM
Where exactly did I agree with Doug?

I don't know about Diesel and emmission, and I can't get in touch with my brother. How is he qualified? He works at Southwest Research Insitute in San Antonio where they test emmisions on the big 3 deisels for the big 3 automakers. I'm pretty sure they know more than most about emmisions.

As soon as I get the specs on deisel exhaust I'll let you know.

I would like to know where I agreed with Doug though, and...

What do I complain about? The jerks in this world? on this forum?
Smog? What else. This long list of, oh, 2 things?

aggielr
09-27-2002, 11:02 PM
dude, i hate to do this, but what about your truck and the coolant leak and the oil leak? how does that extra coolant burnin affect the environment?
good ol' mother earth was here long before we were and has survived much worse than we can dish out, so relax and get rid of that power robbing worthless catalytic converter
and to answer the question, just go to a parts store or exhaust shop and get a straight piece of pipe that would replace the cat and stick it in its place

BigRedFord04
09-30-2002, 12:13 AM
Origingally posted by WhinyNutz
blah blah blah blah f*cking blah

Originally posted by bigFAWKINranger
shadda-fu-cup
nuff said

Krawler68
09-30-2002, 04:32 PM

You should start bitching about yourself if you're gonna be pissed at the jerks of this world...

and don't tell me you buy into the whole greenhouse gas hole in the ozone layer Bull... Next thing you know I'll be hearing how punctuated equilibrium evolution is the correct theory for the development of man.

You and your Mazda might just fit in down in Commiefornia... seeing how clean it burns and all... I'll bet you it wouldn't even pass emissions... no matter how many cats you put on it... :Flipoff2:

bigFAWKINranger
09-30-2002, 05:47 PM

jerks... emmisions... some guy in bryan who wanted too much for his mazda... email bouncebacks... missing tools... being webmaster against your will... not getting ROTM info on time... narrowed 10 bolts... i bet there's more.........

Chadnutz
09-30-2002, 09:35 PM
Did you search the entire forum to find all that stuff?

You have a week long delay in response. Is that how long it took?

I stand corrected.

BigRedFord04
09-30-2002, 09:58 PM

no, thats just what you get with dial-up

bigFAWKINranger
09-30-2002, 10:22 PM
Did you search the entire forum to find all that stuff?

I stand corrected.

the response was late maybe... but still accurate. and it took me all of 30 seconds or so to recall those FEW of MANY examples. i don't need no stinkin forum search you b!tch gringo.:D sorry for the tardiness but i don't make it a point to inspect every thread before i go to bed. if it catches my attention when i'm browsing i'll give it a look and respond if i so choose. 8====D in your mouth biatch!:D

mark
10-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Sorry to interrupt the fun and games, but back to the cat thing…

In their infinite wisdom, Ford did install 2 cats in a “piggyback” configuration on your truck. On the Lightning of that vintage, they installed 4! But I wouldn’t go to the trouble of removing any of the cats. First, it will fail an annual inspection without both cats. Granted a trip down to little Mexico will solve that problem, but it isn’t worth the hassle of removing the cats. Why you ask?

Modern catalytic converters rob very little power. The newest ceramic matrix ones don’t cost enough power to even be measurable. Besides, if you move to a county where an emission test is mandated (soon everyone will have these) both cats will have to be working.

-Mark