PDA

View Full Version : high steer spacer

agjohn02
01-29-2006, 07:00 PM
i need to get my steering up a little higher. would it be a bad idea to run two spacers under the arm? 1-1" and 1-.5" for a total of 1.5".

heres what im talking about

http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5093&stc=1

Shaggy
01-29-2006, 07:39 PM
im sure it depends on what material they are made out of... and why not just one 1.5" spacer

agjohn02
01-29-2006, 08:45 PM
b/c i already have two 1" ones and it would be cheaper to just add two .5" ones. another 1" would probably be better, but id have to get new studs then. so, i want to try a .5" first.

AggieTJ2007
01-30-2006, 12:45 AM
I think it would be alot safer to run just one unless the two spacers have some way of indexing them so they don't try to sheer off

uglyota
01-30-2006, 11:09 AM
looks to me like that's gonna compound forces on the studs...but you're the engineer

agjohn02
01-30-2006, 11:15 AM
i dont see any reason not to do it, but my co-worker is gonna tig them together just to be safe.

uglyota
01-30-2006, 11:17 AM
that sounds like a much better idea

StevenAg03
01-30-2006, 11:20 AM
well...at one time he had the common sense to figure out the various forces involved....but he has decided to forgo common sense and go back to school for an ME degree... :flipoff2:

i think welding them together will work just fine...

BMFScout
01-30-2006, 11:23 AM
The only difference between mine and yours is the length of the front mounts right? I'm not running a spacer at all, maybe if you were to make them somewhere between mine and yours the spacer you have would work? Does it rub now?

After looking at yours and mine, I think I must have more caster than you. Your pinion angle looks to be a little more than mine, think you could rotate the perches a little?

agjohn02
01-30-2006, 11:28 AM
The only difference between mine and yours is the length of the front mounts right? I'm not running a spacer at all, maybe if you were to make them somewhere between mine and yours the spacer you have would work? Does it rub now?

After looking at yours and mine, I think I must have more caster than you. Your pinion angle looks to be a little more than mine, think you could rotate the perches a little?

yes that is my next option. when i set it up i had correct castor. now that the springs have settled i dont know what it is, but it still drives great. i think your longer front mounts just flatten the angle of the spring out some and lower the front of it relative to the steering. im just gonna bolt this up and see if it works. if it does, ill weld it and run it. if it doesnt, ill rotate the perches and put more castor into it.

uglyota
01-30-2006, 11:31 AM
What does castor oil have to do with hi-steer spacers? :confused2
:D

BMFScout
01-30-2006, 11:38 AM
well i thought about my mounts at first, but if you look under my misc. pics on offroadrepublic.com, you'll see that the steering arm comes up at a pretty good angle, while yours is flat.

agjohn02
01-30-2006, 12:01 PM
yeah, i was looking at your pics last night. i think my caster is correct though, 5 degrees rearward. ill check it when i get home.

davido
01-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Advantage heims. I was able to use some small spacers under the heims. But then again, you're not talking about small spacers. The welding together is probably a good idea. Anyway, I don't see why not. Try it out and let us know. :D

agjohn02
01-30-2006, 07:10 PM
i got the digital angle finder from work and half way measured the caster. seems like its settled to about 1.5-2 degrees. that means i may be able to kick the axle back about 3.5 degrees and it should fix my problem. ill take the wheels off tomorrow and look at it closer when i have some time.