PDA

View Full Version : B.W.T.

Pages : [1] 2

Seth
02-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Hey guys -

First time back on the forums posting in a long time. I need help in a bad way. I will try to fill you in.

I am finally going to complete the SAS on my truck. It has been in my driveway not moving for about a year and a half now. The big rush now is because I have finally gotten sick of not driving it - I miss it - and also because the city code enforcement office has given me notice and I need to make it a "functional vehicle" - technically by monday. Also - the car that I have been driving kinda blew up on me so my transportation is kinda limited. I have most of the parts I need already - track bar, tie rod, drag link, shocks, springs, axle, pitman arm, etc.

What I need now is help. I need someone who has a welder and some experience and is willing to come to the house with welder. I can def work out some form of compensation. My frame needs welding and reinforcing in two places. I also need to fab a track bar bracket up. I also need two tires at minimum to roll on, don't care what size or anything to be honest as long as they work. I can buy more later. Some extra hands will be needed to get the axle in place im sure. I think that the only pieces I am missing now are the lower coil buckets, hardware, gear lube, and little misc crap. I am thinkin that initially I won't even hook up the driveshaft, run a ring gear or axles in it. I can do all that once it moves under its own power and is off jackstands. Cooper and Eric have both mentioned they could help - anyone else out there? I don't care if I know you or not - I am in a pretty serious bind right now. I am willing to feed and "water" and whatever else is needed anyone who can lend me a hand - I will be in deep debt to you. I am sure I will follow up to this - but I wanted to at least post something up now that I finally can. Thanks in advance.

Seth

EDIT:

I am putting my to-do list here:

Remove TTB - done
Buy Springs - done
Buy steering - done
Buy shocks - done
Buy trac-bar - done
Buy ball joint - done
Repair frame - done
Fab in new front x-member - done
Get new tires - done
Paint axle, arms, cups, etc. - done
Get hardware (x10?) - done
Drill and mount radius arm brackets - done
Buy stock pitman arm - done
Remove drop pitman arm - done
Install stock pitman arm - done
Seperate caps from radius arms - done
Drill/tap spring cup mounting bolt holes - done
Attach radius arms to axle - done
Get upper tracbar mount bracket - done (thanks frick)
Pull old brake lines - done
Get new brake lines - done
Install brake lines - done
Charge battery - done
Clean up spindles, pack bearings - done
Get new spindle nuts - done
Install brake calipers and pads - done
Bleed brakes - done
Install shocks - done

Replace spindle stud
Repair exhaust
Install new ball joint
Alignment
Make shims for under spring cups
Install shims
Have front gears installed
Install front driveshaft
Install hubs (buy new ones?)
Install axle shafts (with gears?)
Have rear gears installed
Shackle Flip rear axle
State Inspection
Remove Body Lift (redo front crossmember)

Sharpe
02-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Its not a mazda is it?

bburris
02-11-2006, 01:06 AM
No. It's a white single cab F-150.

william_ace
02-11-2006, 01:21 AM
i could be free for a while on sunday

Fredo
02-11-2006, 03:55 AM
yeah, seth isn't gay like chadnuts.....somebody help him out. I will owe you some beer if you do.

jerryg79
02-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Long Live Seth!

BMFScout
02-11-2006, 12:21 PM
He's a CLEAN BOY!!! Wash your own DAMN SHEETS!!!

S.O.S.-Save Our Seth!!

BTW, "Water" = beer, and lots of it.

I know some of you had a great time (even though Seth wasn't there) the night Eric exploded his driveshaft(sorry had to take one more shot at you, Eric). The house across the street from Lissa's is where this is. So some of you already drank his beer, even though the guy wanted to drain a keg into a bucket when he couldn't find a working tap... Eat at New York Sub a year or so ago? Seth probably made your sandwich. See, he didn't even know you then and he fed you and gave you beer! Imagine the possibilities after ressurrecting his truck! I'm not saying he's gay or nothing, but if you fix up his truck you might have a chance, Robbie...

Help Seth out if you can, He's a CLEAN BOY!!

dreed
02-11-2006, 12:56 PM
I could probably help out today for awhile.

J Cooper
02-11-2006, 01:08 PM
i should be able to help for a little while today... my roommate has a mig im sure he would let us use.

Seth
02-11-2006, 01:29 PM
I get off work at 4:15 - come on by whenever - I am going to try and get off tomorrow if I need be too.

Sharpe
02-11-2006, 02:36 PM
New York sub? Did you work with Dusty Tullos?

Shaggy
02-11-2006, 03:42 PM
i wouldnt mind helping some... but am headed to my shop today

Seth
02-11-2006, 05:16 PM
ok I am back home - come one come all I am going to go fiddle with what I can with what I have - 214-906-3678

PS yeah I worked with dusty - hows his baby and morgan?

Sharpe
02-11-2006, 11:34 PM
I dont know I havent talked to them in a long time. He was my roommate before "It" happened. They were living with Morgan's parents but they moved out and thats when I lost contact with them.

CheapJeep
02-12-2006, 12:46 AM
I can lend a hand as well.

stx4wheeler
02-12-2006, 12:12 PM
hey seth sorry i didnt get by yesterday to help, from what i heard from coop and robert told me was that you got quite a ways to go, and without having the lower coil buckets you either gota lot of fab time to make a solid 44- ttb coil buckets adapter, plus trac-bar mount.

Im not trying to be all negative, but can you just bolt the ttb back under there so you can easily get it rolling by monday? and then do the sas another weekend once you have all the stuff you need?
here is a couple links from a thread i made on fullsize bronco about sas swap mainly dealing with the 60 swap, but the tracbar mounts and stuff can be helpfull to you.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45065
trac-bar mounting ideas
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15323
solid axle radius arm to ttb coil bucket mounts-pics about half way down first page
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54563
and another
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57056&page=2

Seth
02-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Well we made some really good progress yesterday. Got the frame pulled back together and got a new front crossmember fabbed up and welded in. Also put in a gussett near the crack in the crossmember. Hopefully get some more done after highway cleanup today. At least finish the welding up and start thinking about the track bar bracket. I talked with james trent on email and he is still has the lower coil mounts, so one way or another those will soon be on there way. Anyone goin down houston way for any reason tonight and coming back tomorrrow by any chance? Worth a shot, he missed gettin them to scott by like a half hour apparently.

Next few nbig things:

Plate/gussett frame
Track bar bracket
buy hardware

PS - the TTB is not going back on - I will talk to the city lady and buy some time, I think she will be cool if I explain the situation to her

uglyota
02-13-2006, 12:12 AM
she's all patched up mang, you should be ready to drill holes and bolt everything on now
I also left my "drill motor" for you
and welding overhead with 6011s sucks

CheapJeep
02-13-2006, 12:22 AM
My apologies for not making it out after Chicken Oil, I came back home to feed the dog and had to finish up a couple things for school. Tomorrow after 3 I can help if you still need it.

sasquatch
02-13-2006, 12:31 AM
how did you patch that nasty crack under that body mount?

uglyota
02-13-2006, 12:42 AM
plated the inside of the frame and then put another plate along the bottom of the framerail over the crack

sasquatch
02-13-2006, 12:43 AM
tight, sound solid

uglyota
02-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Not the prettiest work I've ever done but I think it'll do the trick

BMFScout
02-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Oh **** you're sending the wolf? (Eric) sheet negro, that's all you had to say...

stx4wheeler
02-13-2006, 09:35 AM
if you need some help today when you get off work seth holler at me as i am free after like 4 if i go to my last class that is...979-574-5870

Seth
02-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Man - The frame is officially intact enough now to bolt this stuff on. I am deeply indebted to Eric for stayin after I left for work to finish up. Thanks to everyone who came out to lend a hand this weekend. I owe you all. Tommy did some pretty welds up front - I guess that whole practice thing pays off. Tate - your welder is safe..in my bedroom. I now can get some stuff done this week kinda solo until I need to fab the track bar mount up. At least thats what I'm hoping. I'll try to keep ya'll posted.

uglyota
02-13-2006, 10:55 AM
oh yeah don't forget to flip the switch on the drill from hammerdrill mode to drill mode
yep tommy's a freakin master with a 6011 rod
and your oil filter has a hole in it :D

Seth
02-15-2006, 12:16 AM
got the spring cups UPS today - thanks trent

Seth
02-15-2006, 12:19 AM
I just now saw the line about the hole in the oil filter - i was wondering what the hell was goin on there...- so how did that happen exactly?

uglyota
02-15-2006, 02:25 PM
rod got stuck and then came loose a little fast and tapped the filter.
What kinda oil is that? Crude?
you needed to change it anyway :flipoff2:

sasquatch
02-15-2006, 02:27 PM
i guess the city hasnt towed it away yet?

Shaggy
02-15-2006, 03:27 PM
i need to come by tomorrow and get my stuff back

uglyota
02-15-2006, 03:33 PM
take some pics so the rest of the Furd people can know what to look for and how to fix it

AggieTJ2007
02-15-2006, 05:50 PM
looks like someone needs some practice w/ the 6011,

uglyota
02-15-2006, 05:52 PM
why, because I didn't throw away a stick when the slag chipped off the end?

AggieTJ2007
02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
ahh.... :flipoff2:

agjohn02
02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
why, because I didn't throw away a stick when the slag chipped off the end?

no, because you dont know the difference bewtween slag and flux :flipoff2:

uglyota
02-15-2006, 06:04 PM
it's a damn farmer rod, i can call it anything I want :flipoff2:

agjohn02
02-15-2006, 06:05 PM
do you chip the "slag" off before you weld?

uglyota
02-15-2006, 06:06 PM
no the flux chipped itself off while I was welding

agjohn02
02-15-2006, 06:07 PM
dont tap so hard.

uglyota
02-15-2006, 06:09 PM
when was the last time you welded stick?

agjohn02
02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
last week

i actually prefer stick for some stuff.

agjohn02
02-15-2006, 06:14 PM
as a matter of fact the only things on my scout that arent sticked are the sliders and new spring perches.

uglyota
02-15-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry it must have slipped my mind for a second that you were God's gift to fabricating

and your radiator is tigged
:flipoff2:

KrazyKarl02
02-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Damn you guys both have huge internet wangs! :flipoff2:

agjohn02
02-15-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry it must have slipped my mind for a second that you were God's gift to fabricating

and your radiator is tigged

ah, yes, i forgot about that. i didnt tig that though. wasnt too sure of my tig abilities then. the guy that did all the welding on the racecar did that. he can weld cheese.

dang it, forgot about the gas tank though. i tigged it.

my e-cack is HUGE today. muahahaha

uglyota
02-15-2006, 06:39 PM
mine too...wanna play swords?
:rainbow:

AggieTJ2007
02-15-2006, 07:38 PM
:rainbow: wow..

Seth
02-16-2006, 01:41 AM
anywho - i know i need to change my oil - tate come on by whenever - i talked to the lady from the city and she is bein cool - got some hardware but it is too long - try again tomorrow - and.... i would take pics but the digital cam has been MIA since december i think coop got some pics though

Shaggy
02-16-2006, 09:44 AM
ill bring my camera when i come get my stuff... is 11-11:15 good for you... i am gonna need help loading it all

Shaggy
02-16-2006, 01:07 PM
I came by and took some pics... give me a call when you are home... i need to get my stuff back today because i am leaving town tomorrow

Shaggy
02-16-2006, 01:08 PM
more

uglyota
02-16-2006, 01:25 PM
hmmm...shoulda put a grinder on that next to last one :D

Seth
02-16-2006, 01:37 PM
thanks for the pics tate - I am hoping to get out of here early today - maybe somewhere 3-5 ish - (i know thats a big window)

whats your number?

Shaggy
02-16-2006, 02:20 PM
210-621-8542

Seth
02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Got the hardware for the radius arm caps today and managed to clean out all the threads in the radius arms so that the bolts will thread all the way in. Taking the radius arms to work tomorrow so I can use the impact and get the brackets off of the arms.

Seth
02-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I wish I could change the title and maybe even the location of this thread now but whatever. I got a lot done at work tonight on the truck. Got the nuts off the radius arms. Got all the hardware i should need. cleaned out the threads on two spring cup holes. drilled out and managed to turn out one old siezed spring cup hole. drilled out and tapped the last spring cup hole. Also borrowed a few sockets that will hopefully fit my pitman arm nut - anyone know what that is off hand? Aso borrowed a 1/2 inch bit to drill holes in the frame - we will see how it holds up

Also got the gears for the rear to match and a tru trac last night

Anyone have any suggestions for locating and marking holes? I am thinking about bolting the axle up to the arms and springs, let the weight down on it and then see where the brackets end up. Then i guess eyeball the center of one hole - punch it, pilot hole, big hole. then bolt that up to drill through the bracket for the rest of the holes.

Next few big things -

get tire and mount

dril holes in frame

swap pitman arm

clean up and paint parts

fab track bar mount

all for now

AggieTJ2007
02-17-2006, 11:16 PM
sounds good, wish I lived in CS to help you ouit

Seth
02-18-2006, 09:16 AM
****ty weather sucks - i want a shop...

Seth
02-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Found my digital cam today - actually my roommate did. It was under one of the "dog couches" Apparently he was chewing on the case. Mother ****ers. So yeah - I can take pics now.

Seth
02-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Got the radius arms on the axle tonight - it was a ***** for one person. I got one on and tightened all 4 bolts. then pulled them one at a time to put the lockwashers on (it was easier to get the bolts started without the lockwashers) I got the first side started by picking up the axle and propping it up on the radius arm - that way something compressed the bushing some. Anyways I got the second side on in a similar way, and realized that I had put the cap on upside down, so i had to take it apart and start over on that side. Then when I looked at both of them the first one had the bushings in wrong so I had to take it apart and switch them around.

Also got the pitman arm nut off tonight - now I need to fig out how to get the arm itself off - might borrow a puller tomorrow at work.

how do i attach images now? its not like it used to be - they are on my comp not a website if it makes a diff

AggieTJ2007
02-23-2006, 08:24 PM
sounds good. and to attach images scroll down to the manage attachments

Shaggy
02-23-2006, 08:26 PM
and make sure you resize them

Seth
02-23-2006, 08:59 PM
pics

Seth
02-23-2006, 09:04 PM
more

Seth
02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
even more

Seth
02-23-2006, 09:07 PM
im gonna do them all now

Seth
02-23-2006, 09:10 PM
some more

bburris
02-23-2006, 09:56 PM
What did you do to crack the frame in 8 different places?

Graystroke
02-24-2006, 01:08 AM
What did you do to crack the frame in 8 different places?
no ****! that has seen some serious BAJA action. Look out Robby Gordon!

Shaggy
02-24-2006, 09:14 AM
those frames need no baha to break like that

Seth
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
chuck norris roundhoused it obviously

Seth
02-26-2006, 12:59 PM
gonna be workin on the truck today - come by if you want - 214-906-3678 - might need help getting the radius arms in the brackets and lined up located etc

Seth
02-26-2006, 01:07 PM
this is where im at

Seth
03-13-2006, 08:03 PM
so went out and messed with the truck a little today - im gettin frustrated and figured I would see if I got any input here before I just go do it next time I get out there. I am having a tough time deciding where to mount the rear radius arm brackets. I tried an existing hole but they were too far back. I tried drilling one hole but it was too far forward. So now I just know it needs to be somewhere in the middle. Problem is that I dont want to drill any more holes unless they are gonna be the final ones, but it is a pain to get the axle in place any other way to check what the springs look like with weight on them. I am going to get some degreaser tomorrow so I can clean up the oil (i started it up forgetting that it had a hole in the oil filter) and then i am about to the point that I am gonna pick a point that I kind of marked, drill it, bolt it and say **** it. The brackets have to be bolted to the rad arms in order to get the bushings all right and then the brackets lined up, either way it is a pain. post up what yall think - also if anyone has some free time let me know and I can get to where we can work on it. Thanks in advance.

edit - beat on the pitman arm some today - no luck - the puller I have is not gonna work for this - anyone have a pitman arm puller or should I just spend 20 bucks and get one from jc whitney?

also drained the oil - i never appreciated clean oil like I do now that I change it all the time - and mine was bad (crude according to eric :flipoff2: )

Seth
03-13-2006, 08:07 PM
is there a way to move this thread? or should i just start a new one in buildups?

BMFScout
03-13-2006, 08:09 PM
I'll have a pitman arm puller down there this weekend.

Seth
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
puttin lissas new box on the jeep?

BMFScout
03-13-2006, 08:29 PM
haha, you said "Lissa's box!"

Seth
03-13-2006, 10:07 PM
yeah i saw that one comin - originally what i was gonna say was gonna be a lot worse -- so i guess i can plan on a little brune help this weekend.....im such an ass...

uglyota
03-14-2006, 10:27 AM
you can't get measurements for those bolt placements off of someone else's pile?

and pitman pullers can be rented at most of the parts stores.
try putting a little heat on the arm (propane torch)

BMFScout
03-14-2006, 10:47 AM
yeah i saw that one comin - originally what i was gonna say was gonna be a lot worse -- so i guess i can plan on a little brune help this weekend.....im such an ass...

I can help, but only after the grabber green giant :rainbow: gets going again.

Seth
04-06-2006, 06:50 PM
OK - got the brackets located and two holes drilled and bolted on each one. The springs are bowing but that will be fixed other ways with shims etc. The pitman arm is off - can't remember if I posted that already.

Need help with fabbing a track bar bracket. Who can help and when? Some sort of compensation can be arranged.

I got my "FINAL WARNING" letter from the city yesterday or the day before. My landlord said he was gonna tow it on the 17th if it wasn't moved. Shouldn't be a problem as long as I can get it back on it's wheels. I can work out brakes and the balljoint and whatever else after that.

Anyone have a book on proper reassembly of the Dana 44, or know it like the back of their hand? I am just gonna throw the caliper bracket, bearings, and rotor on there so that it will sit and roll on its own wheels. Hell I might even relocate it further back in the driveway. All for now, gotta pick up, clean up and go to work.

Seth
04-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Oh yeah - I now have wheels and 4 good tires ready to go on it - backs are already on as a matter of fact.

stx4wheeler
04-06-2006, 08:33 PM
seth i think i got a pretty busy schedule, but i can try and help. i know the 44 pretty well, and could prolly help with the trac bar some depending on how late i have to work tomorrow and the weekend

william_ace
04-07-2006, 01:25 AM
oh yeah what kind of tires did ya end up with?

BMFScout
04-07-2006, 01:59 AM
SOS!!! He would do the same for you!!

AggieTJ2007
04-07-2006, 02:25 AM
are you working at all tomarrow, I can' help all day tomarrow

AggieTJ2007
04-07-2006, 02:26 AM
and I can bring some mad skills to the game

Seth
04-07-2006, 01:55 PM
im at work right now - ill be here til 6 at the latest - i will pm or post up when i am gonna get out there - that way i dont end up with help and nothing to do - anybody for track bar bracket? is austin ever on here anymore?

Seth
04-07-2006, 01:55 PM
by the way thanks guys

Seth
04-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Just came in from workin on the truck a little. Thought I would post an update.

I got the steering roughly on there, looks like that is all gonna bolt up no problem.

Drilled two more holes for the rear radius arm brackets. Need to find erics chuck key so that I can put the bit back in and drill the last two.

I also started putting the brake rotors, caliper brackets, spindles, etc back on.

I got the steering box shaft threads cleaned up enough with a file to get the nut on.

Now for some questions:

How much of the tie rod "shaft" should there be between the knuckle and the tie rod body? (or the TRE and pitman arm, or TRE and center link) I just want to make sure that they are seating in there enough.

One tie rod end (the old new one that came with the axle) has a spacer and two thin washers and one thick washer. All the new ones came with just a boot, zerk, and cottor pin. Does it matter what I use where? I would like to use the boots on all of them including the old one if I can and not use the spacer at all.

The nuts that hold the spindle on are tapered like a lug nut - should that taper go in to center something? or does the flat side go in?

I only checked one wheel bearing, but it feels really loose, is there any way to explain on here how to tell if one is bad? Keep in mind I will be taking this thing apart at least once more, and maybe more than once more, to put in new bearings, replace one of the balljoints, and get the brakes sorted out.

Also - I didn't see any bushings in my box of stuff that looked like they went around the big bolt on the axle for the track bar - anybody know anything about that? The ones I have are both rubber with smaller metal inserts.

Can I use just one of the 4 slotted nuts on the outside of the wheel bearing and that be enough to hold the rotor on? Or do I need more?

Also one of the 4 slotted nuts looks kinda messed up - it seems like when I took it all apart though that it made sense. Kinda vague sorry.

The next thing that I will need help on in person is fabbing an upper track bar bracket - did I ever get any takers?

Seth
04-11-2006, 06:37 PM
List of stuff left to do - this is as much for me as anyone:

Tighten steering
Fab Track bar bracket and install track bar
Find lower track bar bushing
Install caliper brackets, spindles, rotors on both sides
Mount wheels and tires on truck.
Roughly align truck
Drill last two holes, tighten all hardware with washers

Later after I get the city off my back

take care of spring bow
put in axle shafts
get front gears set
get rear gears and locker installed
shackle flip in rear
install all 4 shocks
Install hubs
Install brakes - get new calipers
replace ball joint
replace wheel bearings?

Seth
04-11-2006, 09:26 PM
pics

Seth
04-11-2006, 09:27 PM
the first and second are from a while back - the third from today - the 4th and 5th are the tie rod stuff i was talking about

Seth
04-11-2006, 09:30 PM
more

Seth
04-11-2006, 09:35 PM
last ones from today

Seth
04-11-2006, 09:40 PM
anyone? anyone? ...the great depression

CheapJeep
04-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Good progress. :gigem: Nice slinky coils.

Doug Krebs
04-11-2006, 09:53 PM
holy ****, can i bring you some jackstands?

Looking good!

stx4wheeler
04-11-2006, 09:58 PM
i wish i could help seth but i got a test tomorrow and one thursday, and i am taking off and going home for the weekend after that, the only thing i can help you with is i have a old trac bar bracket that i have in my truck somewhere. You could just weld it onto the bottom of your frame to get you rolling, and driving to get the inspector off your back, then re do it a little better later.

use a ratchet strap to pull the axle back where it need to be as well.

agjohn02
04-11-2006, 10:13 PM
dont feel like reading it all, but im free tomorrow(wed.) give me a call if you need a hand.

361-460-1251

eight
04-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Use $2.5 ratchet straps around the center of the springs and the frame to pull them more straight for now.

Seth
04-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Now for some questions:

How much of the tie rod "shaft" should there be between the knuckle and the tie rod body? (or the TRE and pitman arm, or TRE and center link) I just want to make sure that they are seating in there enough.

One tie rod end (the old new one that came with the axle) has a spacer and two thin washers and one thick washer. All the new ones came with just a boot, zerk, and cottor pin. Does it matter what I use where? I would like to use the boots on all of them including the old one if I can and not use the spacer at all.

The nuts that hold the spindle on are tapered like a lug nut - should that taper go in to center something? or does the flat side go in?

I only checked one wheel bearing, but it feels really loose, is there any way to explain on here how to tell if one is bad? Keep in mind I will be taking this thing apart at least once more, and maybe more than once more, to put in new bearings, replace one of the balljoints, and get the brakes sorted out.

Also - I didn't see any bushings in my box of stuff that looked like they went around the big bolt on the axle for the track bar - anybody know anything about that? The ones I have are both rubber with smaller metal inserts.

Can I use just one of the 4 slotted nuts on the outside of the wheel bearing and that be enough to hold the rotor on? Or do I need more?

Also one of the 4 slotted nuts looks kinda messed up - it seems like when I took it all apart though that it made sense. Kinda vague sorry.

The next thing that I will need help on in person is fabbing an upper track bar bracket - did I ever get any takers?

anybody?

getting the springs straight is under control

sasquatch
04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
heres what my steering looks like.

hold on i can answer some of your questions when i get back from class

Seth
04-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Got a little done today....set up steering a little more, put pitman arm washer on, put pass wheel on, cleaned up a little. washers for RA brackets, new brake caliper braket studs and nuts for drivers side, another wheel and tire, and more steering/alignment work tomorrow. Also hopin to get two new calipers tomorrow while at work. Oh yeah and drill those last two holes.

On another note - I got a bunch done tonight around the house and room, hopefully keeping more focused on the truck this weekend during time off in the daylight. Also picked up 4 free trailer tires - great shape, good tread, no cracks, 3 match.

Seth
04-16-2006, 10:32 PM
got the truck sitting on all 4 wheels and tires now - hopefully that will make the city happy enough to get off my back. I finally got the last two holes drilled (eric you can have your drill back finally) and put washers on everything and got it all snugged up. Put grease fittings in the TREs. Ran the nuts on to the spindle studs - one missing and one crossthreaded. So I am gonna have to back in and fix that. Anyone know where to get those studs at? Track Bar bracket and brakes are the main two things keepin me from drivin it.

Where can I get hoses made to my spec? I need the 95 on one end and the 78 on the other. I am gonna get braided steel while I am at it.

Eventually I am gonna have to shim the spring cups and hopefully that will fix the spring bow. That is what most other guys doing SAS on this model are doin it seems.

The front of the truck is def sitting up higher than the rear - we will see what a shackle flip does to level it out.

All for now

eight
04-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Hoses:
Bryan Hoes. Look them up in your phone book, somebody shot mine.

Seth
05-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Worked on the truck a little today. Found the big end bushing for the trac bar. Got the old insert off the axle. Took calipers loose from lines. Jacked truck way up and attempted ratchet strap trac bar.

Tomorrow I am going to get:

A nut and washer for big end of trac bar.
Nut, bolt, and washers for little end of trac bar.
Borrow two line wrenches from work to get brake lines off truck.
Wasp killer so I don't have to use a scrap of wood.

I need to borrow a hilift jack from someone. It has to be a 48" model. PM me.

Shaggy
05-22-2006, 09:27 PM
i love the bow of the jack... i have done so much worse so i cant talk

sasquatch
05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
are you trying to move the axle over?

Shaggy
05-22-2006, 09:36 PM
probably it was way to one side when i stoped by a while ago

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 09:36 PM
did you try to ratchet strap it sitting on all fours? that is so unsafe its not funny at all. you're trying to get both front tires off the ground? arent you making it harder to hook the track bar up by doing that?

Seth
05-22-2006, 10:09 PM
i am well aware of the safety issues at hand. I am not sure why you think ratcheting it on all fours would be bad. the strap has nothin against the weight of the truck. i need another hilift so that i can get both front wheels off the ground. i need to get the axle roughly in place to see where the bracket will go. I am pleased that the bushing is going to dictate where the bracket goes for the most part. I will just put it where it is in the least bind. eventually i will need to shim the spring cups, anyone have any extra 4* axle shims layin around?

all for now i guess.

PS MAVS WIN!

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 10:38 PM
sorry , i meant what you are doing is unsafe.

will it not move while on all fours?

get a bigger ratchet strap, those you're using are wimpy.

how about a come-along from the frame to a tree or another vehicle on the side you need to move to?

if you put the whole front end up on tractor jacks... sorry hi-lifts, i just cant see it not falling off and dismembering you.

no offense but i think its a very dumb idea. hi-lifts are not meant for working on your vehicle. they are dangerous.

anyone agree?

sasquatch
05-22-2006, 10:41 PM
hi-lifts are alright if you have someway of securing the vehicle so it can't move sideways and fall on you

put axle on jack stands then try it

Sharpe
05-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I use high lifts for parts trucks, and I cant count the number of times the ****ing things have fallen over. Its rather annoying.

JB
05-22-2006, 10:45 PM
SAS with leaf springs :flipoff2: much easier :gigem:

agjohn02
05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
hi-lifts are alright if you have someway of securing the vehicle so it can't move sideways and fall on you

you're dumber'n hell

few line from hi-lift's instruction manual:

¨ Do not allow anyone around or under a load supported only by the jack.

Do not raise inflated tire more than 2” (5 cm) above the ground. Never attempt to lift more than one wheel
at a time.

Do not use the jack to support a load. Securely chock and block (stabilize) the load to be lifted. Never get
under a raised load without properly chocking and supporting the load. If a raised load falls it can cause
serious injury or death.

THIS JACK WILL NOT STABILIZE THE LOAD. You must chock and block (stabilize) the load to prevent it
from moving or falling. If a raised load falls, it can cause serious injury or death.

its on there a lot see for yourself.
http://www.hi-lift.com/instructions/jack_instructions.pdf

p.s.- i thought this was funny.
Using a jack that is not
in good clean working condition or properly lubricated may cause serious injury. See "Lubricating the Jack."

CheapJeep
05-22-2006, 11:46 PM

I think we found this out when we were installing your shackle flip...remember? :laughing:

DRAGOONRANCH
05-23-2006, 04:15 AM
Just make sure someone goes over there with a video camera. You must cut me in on the winning cash from AFV since I gave you the idea. This is gonna be funny. :flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
05-23-2006, 04:19 AM
This kind of goes along with the whole "Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people" thing. A hi-lift can be a very valueable tool when used properly and with plenty of precausions and forethought. In all seriousness, if you get the two front wheels in the air with even one hi-lift, be very careful, that is an accident waiting to happen. My grandpa set up a few demonstrations when I was about 10 or 11 so I could see just how dangerous they were.

uglyota
05-23-2006, 09:08 AM
anyone agree?
couldn't agree more :flipoff2:
at least get some logs or something under the frame so it doesn't keel you Seth. That would suck. You can borrow my hilift if you still need one

sasquatch
05-23-2006, 12:23 PM
haha, looks all too familiar

agjohn02
05-23-2006, 12:41 PM
couldn't agree more :flipoff2:

you're a model of safety. :rolleyes:

stx4wheeler
05-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Seth to get the trac bar aligned you are supposed to, have someone inside the truck and have them turn the wheels while they are on the ground, this will make the body move to one side of the other, so that you can get it alignined, you will prolly need to do the two ratchet straps as i mentioned to you earlier since yours is quite a bit out of whack, then resort to the turning of the wheels.

BMFScout
05-23-2006, 12:53 PM
i say a floorjack and a keg shell, I know you have at least one of each around!

Sharpe
05-23-2006, 01:17 PM
you're a model of safety. :rolleyes:
He's still around isnt he? Even has all 9 finger's and toes.

uglyota
05-23-2006, 01:25 PM
yep, 6 on the left and 3 on the right. God made me special :D

edit: how'd this get moved out of the kitchen?

agjohn02
05-23-2006, 01:31 PM
i was gonna say, it needed to be in build-ups.

sasquatch
05-23-2006, 01:45 PM
i moved it

Seth
05-23-2006, 06:47 PM
thank you - can it be changed to something besides "help"?

stx4wheeler
05-23-2006, 06:57 PM
what do you want it to say? also can we work something out about the ttb stuff my brakes are driving my nutz.

Seth
05-23-2006, 06:58 PM
yeah get your ass over here!

Seth
05-23-2006, 06:58 PM
i figured i would give someone a chance to be a smart ass when deciding a new title for the thread

BMFScout
05-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Seth's Lawn Ornament
Seth's City Ordinance Infraction
An Epic Axle Swap

smartass enough for you?

agjohn02
05-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Project: Deathtrap

Seth
05-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Project: Deathtrap

Ouch. I am gonna have to disagree with that one.

Did some more dangerous jacking this evening. Got a couple more little things figured out. The only way that axle is moving is by jacking the frame high enough that the wheels hang free, or with the steering method. I want to get it close to where it is going to be, then I can see where I want to put the trac bar mount. Also I will be able to tell if I am going to have to trim the crossmember or not. As the axle centers under the truck, the truck is going to lift up a little. I would rather not try to use a come along or ratchet straps to accomplish that - straps will be used to hold it in place once its there. It is hard to type it all out on here, one of those things where seeing it and talking are alot easier.

AggieTJ2007
05-23-2006, 11:42 PM
i like the steering method. it is the easiest

CheapJeep
05-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Seth, I have to take my sista to get her wisdom teeth out later this morning but after I get back in town I can come by and lend a hand. Just give me a ring. 281-455-7023

stx4wheeler
05-24-2006, 10:37 AM
what time are you off today? call me at 979 574 5870

Seth
05-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Got some more done tonight. Filed some threads. Got the brake lines off. Got the axle a little more in place, and strapped in that place. got rid of a wasps nest in the door jam (first one) gotta decide which way to flip the trac bar - anyone actually have any experience with this app? I am gonna post it up in FSB, and see what I can sift from that as well. pics in a sec.

Seth
05-24-2006, 11:32 PM
pics

Seth
05-24-2006, 11:37 PM
also figured out another way to curb the spring bow some

Seth
06-01-2006, 08:35 PM
OK I just went and stared at it a while. I know I can get this done. I think I can get it drivable very soon. I might be fine tuning it for a while after that, but that's ok. Drivable is what we need. What's goin on Saturday? Is that BDR's wedding? I am gonna be working on it Saturday and early Sunday for sure.

I can mount the bracket I have horizantally or vertically. I feel like vertically will be stronger and cleaner, I just have to figure out how I want to secure it. I am leaning towards bolting it right now. I don't have a welder for one, and also I can change it later if it doesn't work how I like or I change anything (like the spring buckets or radius arms and wheelbase) Any ideas? It is kinda hard to photograph and even harder to explain. Basically I need to bolt this bracket to the inside side of my C channel frame. So I need to somehow bring a flat surface all the way out to bolt to. I think I piece of 2x4 tube could do this, then drill through both sides of the tube and the frame (and the spring bucket) and run bolts through all of it. This also put the eye of the bracket right where I need it to locate the axle and still have some adjustment. I have some nice angle that I will most like run from the bolt and back to the crossmember and bolt it there as extra support.

Frick is gonna flip ***, has has told me how to do it ten times I bet. Can we still be friends?

Seth
06-02-2006, 08:15 AM
nothin?

Seth
06-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Picked up the brake lines today - might go put them on in a little bit when it gets cooler - I'm spent though. They look really good, I am impressed by the work at bryan hose - I guess jimmy in specific. the only thing was when I called yesterday he said they would be ready in 45 minutes (he hadn't started them) so I go in today to pick them up, and when he figures out who I am, he says "man you here already?" So we waited 30-45 minutes for him to make them. Sucked until we were entertained by some locals. I will post up elsewhere about that. Both ends are new and match up perfectly. The stainless is coated with a protective coating. 60 inches of hose, 4 fittings, and assembly was right at 75 bucks with tax included. I might take a pic in a sec. This leaves the upper trac/panhard bar mount the only thing left keeping me from moving. Then it is little things (alignment, exhaust, etc.)

stx4wheeler
06-22-2006, 04:23 PM
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15323&page=2

post number 22 look at the design, this is what you neeed to do since it is all bolt on for the most part except for welding of the pieces of the bracket which can be done elsewhere. then after that you can have all the pieces welded to the frame if you so desire.

Shaggy
06-22-2006, 04:27 PM
that looks like it is sturdy enough

uglyota
06-22-2006, 04:36 PM
seriously? 2 little bolts under a whole lot of shear force? Also considering what we know about that frame so far I would stop no shorter than the bracket posted near the bottom of that page. It's not that hard to get a hold of a welder...you can even rent a 120 mig at Home Depot and weld it up well enough to drive it to a big welder

edit: I looked again and noticed there's a brace from there to the center of the crossmember...if that's solid it's probably okay

sasquatch
06-22-2006, 04:40 PM
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15323&page=2

post number 22 look at the design, this is what you neeed to do since it is all bolt on for the most part except for welding of the pieces of the bracket which can be done elsewhere. then after that you can have all the pieces welded to the frame if you so desire.

man, there's a bunch of homos on that board too :flipoff2:

Seth
06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
So I went out and stared a little more today, this time with a couple pieces that I could check for fit. I also brought a bunch of scrap steel pieces I had in Irving home with me, so now I have enough nice heavy angle iron to build just about anything I can dream up I guess. My original idea is not gonna work. The thing that kinda bugs me is that there is more than one way to do it, and I want to make sure I go with the best one.

I also took a couple brake line brackets off the axle I am not gonna use, and also I unbolted and removed the remnants of my old Carr steps that I broke a LONG time ago. More for the aluminum selling pile. :) I am to some extent tryin to put the truck on a diet, with backpackers mentality. A pound here and a pound there will hopefully add up. I know that getting all my tools out of my bed toolbox helped a lot. Aluminum wheels will be worth about 40-50 pounds eventually. Stayin with a BFG type radial over a xlz or something will save 120-140 pounds. I am gonna lose a sub, and half the box, which will also give me more space behind the seat to stash a couple small things. Headers might even weigh less now that I think about it. I am curious what the TTB vs SAS looks like weight wise. I know that at one point my truck was at about 5500ish pounds. I would like to see what it was stock just for grins. Maybe some day I can get it down to 5000.

Just fair warning - I am going to be the same way about MPG - *** - when I stopped driving the truck gas was still well under two bucks a gallon!

Seth
06-22-2006, 10:08 PM
BTW - I have def seen that thread on FSB. Thanks for input and opinions from all. Oh yeah - a spare axle shaft and 20 pounds of scraps came out too. *** I just remembered how my actual axle rode around in the bed for a LONG while. Apparently I am rambling now. Rescue kicks ass. All for now.

william_ace
06-22-2006, 11:56 PM
progress is a winner. keep it up

AggieTJ2007
06-23-2006, 12:10 AM
if you give me measurements Ill build and weld a bracket for you for some beer

stx4wheeler
06-23-2006, 09:00 AM
the main thing is it needs to be bolt on for him to use it for the time being or until he can take it somewhere to get welded, unless he welds it with a 110 mig that he rents from home depot like eric said.

agjohn02
06-23-2006, 01:42 PM
unless he welds it with a 110 mig that he rents from home depot like eric said.

sounds like a bad idea to me

sasquatch
06-23-2006, 02:16 PM
no offense, but this track bar mount thing is turning into a monkey ****ing a football situation. all this scratching your ass and slaping your dicks doesn't do anything if you don't go out there and start building something to get a general idea. just make sure what you make is going to work before you start drilling holes or welding some shat pile on the frame

this is all stock stuff for 76-79

agjohn02
06-23-2006, 02:27 PM
no offense, but this track bar mount thing is turning into a monkey ****ing a football situation.

turning into?

that happened long ago

http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8451&stc=1

uglyota
06-23-2006, 02:31 PM
are those holes already in the frame? you just need to get some 1/4" thick square tubing with the right ID for your track bar bushing and get after it with a drill and grinder

Seth
06-23-2006, 04:45 PM

stx4wheeler
06-23-2006, 07:17 PM
no those holes are not in his frame, robert the sas on a ttb truck is different that 76-79 cause the track bar needs to go pretty much under the coil tower not in front of it.

Seth
06-23-2006, 08:33 PM
ed zachary

Seth
06-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Ok I am gonna work on the truck a while longer today and then tomorrow some. PM me or call me if you want to drop by, or just do it. I put one caliper on, and figured out the mounting for the most part. Anyone know what holds the outside pad in place? The brake lines are lookin good, a little long if anything. Does anyone have or know where to get the spindle studs (that go in the knuckle) or more importantly, the nuts that hold the bearing, etc in. These are the ones that take the special 4 prong socket to remove. I have the socket if anyone needs it to rob some extras. Now that I think about it, I might have some in my old TTB just have to get the stripped out hub allens out. All for now.

TMatheaus
06-25-2006, 01:46 AM
the hub nuts on the ttb should work, if not go to vato zone and get some of the nuts there, i had to orders some new ones for mine a while back. the damn nipple sheared off of them.

Seth
06-25-2006, 10:55 AM
OK so I was gonna post this last ngiht but I fell asleep on the couch last night. I got both brake lines bolted up to the hard lines and the calipers. I got the slotted nut off the TTB and packed bearings. That stuff is on for good until I put axle shafts and balljoint in. I need to figure out EXACTLY how the calipers mount (I got htem in but they dont look liek they are "centered") and I need to figure out what hols the outboard pad in place. That and the Track bar bracket and I should be able to drive it. Then the fine tuning can start...and there is plenty to do.

Oh yeah I charged the battery and started it. Amazes me how it fires right up.

stx4wheeler
06-25-2006, 03:22 PM
seth i wouldnt waste time with the ttb calipers i dont think they can be used on the solid 44 plus dana 44 calipers are like 12 bucks at advance. i would just do that and have it right.

Seth
06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I am almost sure they will. I had both side by side, and the only diff is that the newer ones have bolt provisions. Early (80-86) models still used the spring on TTB.

Seth
06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
So I went out last night and messed with the brakes a little bit. I can not figure out how the ouboard pad is held in place. I am using the 95 calipers, and they slide in fine, and the inboard pad is fine, it is just the outboard. Anyone? I am going to post up on FSB, and if they dont know, I guess I will get old style calipers. When I bought the axle it came with a set of pads and they look exactly the same as the 95 ones. I will be home all weekend if anyone else is in town and wants to kill some time, PM me.

sasquatch
06-30-2006, 09:40 AM
should be grooves in the caliper that fit the pad. it shouldn't be that big a deal to get new calipers. $10 and a $5 core at advance. i replaced the pass. on mine because of a stuck bleeder.

Seth
06-30-2006, 11:45 AM
After looking at a pic of them, I ordered new calipers.

Seth
07-11-2006, 08:16 AM
ok - update time. the new calipers work great. i might have been able to use the new style ones with new style brake pads, but i have two good sets of old pads and one half worn set of new ones. the new calipers are going to require me to put new ends on the brake lines tough. boo. yesterday i cut my track mocked my trac-bar bracket. I just gave it to a guy that works next door at busops who apparently is a damn good welder. (wayne clements) he is gonna bring it back tomorrow.

last night i went to work on the truck. apparently it wasnt my night. i got a late start on it first off. then when i was taking the spring out, it popped and nailed me in the head. then i tried cutting the bump stop off with a grinder. that made a helluva mess of melted rubber all over me and the grinder. wd-40 was the only thing that would get it off. including my face. the bracket how ever did fit.

anyone have a good way to cut that bumpstop off? im thinkin maybe a sawzall, but i dont have one. it is riveted in and there is no way to get to the back of the rivet with anything.

after all this, i guess spring shims and shackle flip. front shocks. bleed brkes. ah!

StevenAg03
07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
yes...wayne can weld anything...who pointed you in his direction?

didnt you used to work with his son or was that before your time?

Seth
07-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I Never Workd With His Son - I Asked Jason And David Who The Best Welder Was And They Said Wayne...so.....

Shaggy
07-11-2006, 12:44 PM
torch

Seth
07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Feel Free To Bring One Over. While You Are At It, Bring A 1/2" Corded Drill. A Sawzall Will Work Instead Of The Torch Also. A Few Extra 1/2' Bits Might Not Be A Bad Idea.

Shaggy
07-11-2006, 12:56 PM
i might come to town this week... i am off work thursday and friday

Sharpe
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Not to be a dick but you seem to be underequiped for taking on a project of this nature.

Shaggy
07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
he has friends... that is all it takes... i still have to check with the woman but i should be in cs around 5pm tomorrow and stay till friday lunchtime so seth you are welcome to my tools and my labor

Sharpe
07-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Ah I see. I dont have any friends in Kingsville so thats why I have so much shiat... :laughing:

Seth
07-11-2006, 04:37 PM
WOOHOO! TATE YOU ARE THE MAN. - I AM UNDEREQUIPPED. NO QUESTION. BUT I HAD NO CHOICE. I COULD NOT DRIVE THE TRUCK AS IS, IT WAS UNSAFE, WOULD NOT TURN RIGHT, CRACKED FRAME ETC. I DID NOT HAVE THE MONEY OR CREDIT TO HAVE SOMEONE REPAIR IT. i wanted to do it myself anyways. i have figured out i am more able than i give myself credit for. i was not gonna sell it for like 500 bucks or whatever i could have gotten for it. so i did it. welder, sawzall, chopsaw, and torch are def on my list. so is a garage. and some tall jackstands. ill add more later.

no offense tken btw

why do i feel like nutz right about now

i hate the keyboards at work

DRAGOONRANCH
07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
x 2 on the oxywrench :D

Seth
07-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, very productive night tonight. As far as the truck goes, I got the bumpstop off - turns out it was bolted on - I am just gonna say it was rusted in place so it would have to have been cut off anyways. I got two rivets popped out, and cut the head off another. I am not sure whats gonna happen with that one just yet. I got the tabs on the brake shoes "crimped" on. I got a broken bolt out of the caliper bracket and replaced it. Got the brake lines out to take to my favorite brake line man jimmy tomorrow.

So....tomorrow I take the brake lines to work. I get my bracket back from wayne. I take a long lunch and go get the new ends put on the brake lines. I borrow the corded drill from work, or one of you guys (eric?) brings one by. Drill the holes, Hopefully have enough hardware to bolt stuff up. Bleed the brakes and possily the MC. It's getting close.

I have to work tomorrow night though - damn it.

StevenAg03
07-11-2006, 10:07 PM
wayne can also do a pimp job of bending and flaring brake lines. he did one for me and it matched perfectly

uglyota
07-11-2006, 10:12 PM
when do you need that drill motor by?

Seth
07-11-2006, 10:23 PM
thurs i guess would be good - i work all day tomorrow.

Shaggy
07-11-2006, 11:25 PM
so it looks like if i am needed i will be coming in the AM on thursday and staying till later in the day friday. you willing to lend me a couch to sleep on?

Seth
07-12-2006, 07:04 AM
yeah you can have a couch for sure - i will be working thurs and fri days

Shaggy
07-12-2006, 12:06 PM
i have other stuff to do in town but do you have any time so we can finish up your truck... and i mean finish... it lacks so little we need to get it over with

Seth
07-12-2006, 06:01 PM
yeah thurs night i am gonna work on it. I got the trackbar bracket back today! I am gonna prime at least one side before I go back to work. Wayne did a hell of a job with the 7018s. Tomorrow I am gonna take brake lines to work and take a long lunch prob to get them done at bryan hoes.

Seth
07-13-2006, 07:14 AM
PRIMED THE OTHER SIDE THIS MORNING. i MADE A LIST OF THINGS I NEEDED TO DO BEFORE IT IS STREET LEGAL/DRIVABLE AS IS.

TRACK BAR BRACKET - PAINT, CUT, DRILL HOLES, GET HARDWARE
BRAKE LINES
BLEED BRAKE LINES/MC
SHOCKS
EXHAUST
WIPERS
FRONT BUMPER
ALIGNMENT
FIX IDLE SPEED
FIX ENOUGH LIGHTS FOR INSPECTION
EXCHANGE BATTERY
FIX IDLE SPEED.
REMOVE SPARE TIRE CARRIER (OR REHANG)
INSURANCE
INSPECTION
REGISTRATION

SO I HAVE MY WORK CUT OUT FOR ME BUT I THINK ITS DOABLE.

BRANDON ISNT IT YOU WHO IS THE AT HOME ALIGNMENT GURU? THINK YOU CAN GIVE ME A QUICK LESSON?

Shaggy
07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
dude i didnt realize you drank enough to type in all caps

Shaggy
07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
ps we drove ot last night... with only the parking brake to stop

StevenAg03
07-14-2006, 07:55 AM
dude i didnt realize you drank enough to type in all caps

its in all caps because the computer at the auto shop(where he works) is set to type in all caps for clarity...

sasquatch
07-14-2006, 08:33 AM
BRANDON ISNT IT YOU WHO IS THE AT HOME ALIGNMENT GURU? THINK YOU CAN GIVE ME A QUICK LESSON?

get a tape measure and measure the length between the front and backsides of the tires. get them even at first and then toe in each front tire 1/8". that what i did and it worked pretty good

Seth
07-14-2006, 01:48 PM
ok guys - its a driver. it floats big time, gonna have to get used to that. we put shocks on, welded a shock tab on, and ground down the inserts to get them to fit. went and got the new ends on the lines (FREE!), put those on and bled the brakes. trimmed the k member, cotter pinned the steering, aligned it a little more. Had to grind on the calipers a little to get the brake lines to fit. Put some new winshield wipers on it. That was all today.

yesterday and last night we drilled and bolted the track bar bracket, set the track bar length, picked up and installed a new yellow top, took my TTB to tates shop and disassembled it with the impact.

Still plenty of little things to do (insurance, registration, inspection, exhaust, some hardware, etc.) but it drives!!

Sorry for the lack of pics, I will try to borrow my roommates this evening as mine is on the blink.

Seth
07-14-2006, 01:50 PM
By the way, can someone change the name of this thread to "B.W.T."? With the new lease on life it got, I figure it can have a new name as well.

sasquatch
07-14-2006, 03:13 PM
i saw that it changed directions in the driveway

J Cooper
07-14-2006, 03:17 PM
kick ass
hell must be frosting over

RCcola55
07-14-2006, 03:21 PM
can i come get the pitman arm tonight

Sharpe
07-14-2006, 04:13 PM
ok guys - its a driver. it floats big time, gonna have to get used to that. we put shocks on, welded a shock tab on, and ground down the inserts to get them to fit. went and got the new ends on the lines (FREE!), put those on and bled the brakes. trimmed the k member, cotter pinned the steering, aligned it a little more. Had to grind on the calipers a little to get the brake lines to fit. Put some new winshield wipers on it. That was all today.

yesterday and last night we drilled and bolted the track bar bracket, set the track bar length, picked up and installed a new yellow top, took my TTB to tates shop and disassembled it with the impact.

Still plenty of little things to do (insurance, registration, inspection, exhaust, some hardware, etc.) but it drives!!

Sorry for the lack of pics, I will try to borrow my roommates this evening as mine is on the blink.

Wow if only Tate could work this efficiently on his own truck :flipoff2:

CheapJeep
07-14-2006, 04:44 PM
kick ass
hell must be frosting over
Is this a sign that Eric will be done with school soon?

BTW- Good to see you got it rolling again.

Shaggy
07-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow if only Tate could work this efficiently on his own truck :flipoff2:

my truck needs a "little" more work than his did... i do more than that on my truck each time i work on it... it just needs more....ass

J Cooper
07-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Is this a sign that Eric will be done with school soon?

... and me too

Seth
07-23-2006, 04:38 PM
So I have been driving it for a week now. Functionality wise the biggest thing I need to fix is the spring bow. I need to get it in check enough that they don't hit the tires. I put a new throttle position sensor in and it idles normally again now. I actually had autozone read the codes for me and it threw the tps code, so I went to advance and bought one ***. inside the upper plenum and manifold side of the throttle body are pretty nasty so I am gonna sea foam it just for grins. Now that the idle is fixed it reminds me how badly i need to regear. with it idling high it preloaded the converter and acceleration was nice ***. all for now i suppse.

jerryg79
07-23-2006, 04:44 PM
So I have been driving it for a week now. Functionality wise the biggest thing I need to fix is the spring bow. I need to get it in check enough that they don't hit the tires. I put a new throttle position sensor in and it idles normally again now. I actually had autozone read the codes for me and it threw the tps code, so I went to advance and bought one ***. inside the upper plenum and manifold side of the throttle body are pretty nasty so I am gonna sea foam it just for grins. Now that the idle is fixed it reminds me how badly i need to regear. with it idling high it preloaded the converter and acceleration was nice ***. all for now i suppse.

pics?

Seth
07-23-2006, 06:24 PM
oh yeah - i will go grab my roommates cam and click off a couple right now.

Seth
07-23-2006, 09:47 PM
heres a few

Seth
07-23-2006, 10:00 PM
more

Seth
07-23-2006, 10:06 PM
hopefully the pics are fairly self explanatory. I tried to get the ass sag in the first few. (the driveway is a hill) next one shows the drag bar vs trac bar angle. next one shows the trackbar bracket. next one shows the yet to be cleaned up crossmember trimming. next one shows the spring bow, lack of axle shafts, rub marks on tires from said springs, body lift that needs to go, some sweet body rust, and if you look really close, my kustom exhaust...or lack thereof.

AggieTJ2007
07-23-2006, 10:22 PM
well it looks good, now just get you some axle shafts

agjohn02
07-23-2006, 10:27 PM
maybe it's my lazy eye, but the front axle looks like its sitting too far back.

Seth
07-23-2006, 10:39 PM
i would rather have it sitting a little farther forward, but that is where it needed to be for the upper spring cup to line up. i have not measured, but I would guess that the wheelbase is still pretty damn close to 133" if i go to old style upper buckets then i can and prob will extend the wheelsbase a little. as is I wanna trim some off the fenders.

Also I never got a chance to say thanks. I have had a lot of help, esp in the last 6 months or so. Tommy, Will, Tate, CJ, Coop, Eric, John, Robert, Dan, Frick, Jimmy - Thanks for all the help. I am sure I forgot some too.

Ryan - my beer fridge is gettin low - that pitman arm work out? :grinandflipoff:

RCcola55
07-23-2006, 10:57 PM
still waiting on my reamer,i will be back in CS at the end of the month with beer in hand

CheapJeep
07-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Look's good, it's got the Cali/pre-runner look. High in the front, low in the rear. :flipoff2:

Seth
07-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Ok Ok You Caught Me I Just Wanna Be Like Jesse James

uglyota
07-24-2006, 03:07 PM
I like how the trac bar mount turned out, hopefully those older spring buckets will push your front axle forward a bit

Seth
07-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Let's see as for an update. . . I fixed the AC today. Two cans of 134 and a high side valve. Total cost was under 25. Blows nice and cold. Washed it and aired the tires up to 35 psi. Still plenty to do.

In other news - eric has 6969 posts at the moment. dirty little *****.

J Cooper
07-30-2006, 05:00 PM
front fenders are a differnt shade of white :flipoff2:

Seth
07-30-2006, 06:27 PM
yes they are...the hood too, and the strip under the grill.

CheapJeep
07-30-2006, 07:42 PM
I saw you awhile ago when I was walking into the rec. Are you running straight exhaust? Looks good though

Seth
07-30-2006, 11:00 PM
yeah its open right now. trying to decide what i am going to put on it.

RCcola55
07-31-2006, 12:24 AM
what ever you do make sure you put a cutout in, nothing like coming home and pissing off the neighbors at 2 in the morning....

maybe thats why they called the city so much on me

CheapJeep
07-31-2006, 01:05 AM
Sounded good, definitely a panty dropper.

uglyota
07-31-2006, 09:00 AM
In other news - eric has 6969 posts at the moment. dirty little *****.
aaaaand it's gone...
kinda cool that it was there for the weekend!

Seth
08-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Transmission is now losing fluid big time. See thread in tech.

Seth
09-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Needed to bring this up, might start a thread elsewhere too. MY rearend is about to blow up. I made it home last night. I am going to run will's gears and loadker that I bought from him, just need to have them set. not sure if i want to pull the axle and take it somewhere, drive, get pulled somewhere etc. anyone able to do it in the driveway? (rear axle - so it needs to be good)

Mu only other thought was if anyone has an 8.8 extra layin around - tommy? I could swap that in and then have weheels to do the rest my self.

So if you got anything you think might help, post up or call me - 214-906-3678

BMFScout
09-03-2007, 03:36 AM
drop it off at J&P, pick it up when they're done. Thanks for driving, I had an AWESOME time.

BroncoJo
09-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Needed to bring this up, might start a thread elsewhere too. MY rearend is about to blow up. I made it home last night. I am going to run will's gears and loadker that I bought from him, just need to have them set. not sure if i want to pull the axle and take it somewhere, drive, get pulled somewhere etc. anyone able to do it in the driveway? (rear axle - so it needs to be good)

Mu only other thought was if anyone has an 8.8 extra layin around - tommy? I could swap that in and then have weheels to do the rest my self.

So if you got anything you think might help, post up or call me - 214-906-3678

I got an 8.8 out of a LTD, probably to narrow and high of gear ratio though. and would need spring perches. but extremly cheap.

Seth
09-03-2007, 10:07 AM
gotta get some gears - then i prob will. may as well regear it if im gonna be messin with it at all. gears are in wills axle, ive got tru trac with 4.56 ring gear bolted to it.

Sharpe
09-03-2007, 02:29 PM
drop it off at J&P, pick it up when they're done. Thanks for driving, I had an AWESOME time.
Seconded. They rebuilt the rear diff on my crewcab and were FAST, and they were really fair priced to boot. It hasnt blown up yet so I think I'm good to go :gigem:

william_ace
09-03-2007, 02:51 PM
i know i've asked before robert, but do you remember what their labor cost was?

Sharpe
09-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Aboot $300. It was $675 out the door with brand new GM gears, bearings and labor. Best part was it was FAST. I dropped it off midmorning and it was done the next day.

agjohn02
09-03-2007, 04:47 PM
take em a bare housing and all the parts and it'll drop to about $100.

CheapJeep
09-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I had them do the gears for the 20 in that blue jeep. Cost $125 for install and new bearings. Super nice people and really fast.

Seth
09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
UPDATE -

J & P did not want to install my parts. He was pretty nice about it though, sayin he didnt have the help he used to and is real busy with trans and other diff work. He suggested Chop's and Pickups Plus. I called both, Chops was a little higher. I will most liekly use him anyways, bc we have sent alot of stuff to him here at work and its always been fast and good. He said it didn't make a difference if I brought him just the axle or the whole truck, so I am gonna take it all to him so that he can test drive it etc. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Seth
09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
OK - Me and will just pulled the axle out of his truck. Look like mine did for a while, except the back end is on jackstands ***. Anyways, trying to pull the axles out, ring and pinion out, etc. It's got a detroit in it and I have no idea how to pull the c cilps out. Anyone got any experience with this? There are two spots on the locker where it looks like I might be able to knock something out to get to the guts, but I don't wanna go beatin the **** outta somethin if its not supposed to move. Post up or call me if you know. Hopefully I can get these gears out, then take them to the shop tomorrow with my truck, let the guys look at them and see if they are all bueno, then have my truck back (along with AC midweeek.) I'm gonna go google it I guess. Oh yeah - its a ford 8.8.

214-906-3678

Seth
10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Guess I will update. My rear axle is all good now, Chop's rebuilt it. It is basically a new axle. New gears, 4.10s, new install kit with bearings, new to me tru trac for sweet burnouts and mudslinging, new to me axle shafts, from clarke originally, the old ones were pitted pretty bad, and then replaced the axle bearings and seals while they were there. Spent more than I would have liked, but I needed it back. I need to go through the rear brakes and at least put on shoes. I don't think pics are really needed.

Speaking of, where are these axles from clarke?

J Cooper
10-25-2007, 05:39 PM
i still have those lift blocks for the rear if you want them, im sure ill see you this weekend

... i think i even have the ubolts

Seth
10-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Bring em. I am not totally sure what I will end up with in the rear, but Id like to have options.

Seth
02-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, time for a little update. Have not really done much, but I need to soon if I am going to keep this truck. The new job is going to require me to do a pretty fair amount of driving. I get a small vehicle allowance, but my fuel expense is almost completely reimbursed. This is making me not be nearly as worried about getting into something more efficient, just dependable and comfortable.

I would just sell it and go straight to something newer, but I would like to do to it what I have always wanted to, use it completely up, and maybe get a little tiny more for it if it doesnt look so frankenstein.

I got my new (to me) front gears to the house via UPS yesterday. 75 bucks shipped. Today I looked through my parts to see what all had and what I needed. I have two carriers, one of which will work. I also have a set of spider gears and a pin, but I have no idea if they will work. They are in good shape with a small amount of surface rust, will that make a big diff in my front end?

Soon I am going to put on my efan or buy a new fan clutch until I do. I don't really care as long as I don't overheat, but I do definitely want to eventually do the e-fan, so I would like to go ahead and do it now if I am going to do any fan related work.

New wheels and tires will come soon, 35s on 17s. Prob my biggest splurge. I might buy Nick's BFG ATs to run in the mean time and to get inspected. Anyone heard anything about the Kumho MT? The fancy one is 199 in the size I want. Otherwise it will most likely be ProComp xtreme AT or BFG AT. Noise and life are my main interests.

I was thinking about running a 17" aluminum wheel from 4 wheel parts (newish 8 hole style in black), but the soft 8s are ~50 bucks at summit, so long as shipping isnt too high, this looks like a good option.

I need new headlights, as mine are in bad shape, the reflective stuff in side is crappin out. Thinking about going with the diamond lights, cheap from jcwhitney instead of lmc.

My blend door for ac is not behaving, AC likes to blow out the floor, esp under low vac situations, might be a leak, but prob the unit.

Gotta run soon for dinner, but also, I have the hangers for the shackle flip, after I get that done, I want to yank the bodylift.

Figure out a front bumper is also on the list soon. My radio has a short, should be easy once I pull it and get a meter/light on it.

Some sound damp inside, a sub, some aux front lighting, maybe a bedliner, and a new muffler that is quieter and possibly stainless to match the y pipe run out instead of dumped.

In a perfect world I could get the couple dents in it pulled out and have the thing sprayed by my guy.

Oh yeah, bump timing.

Now there is the list, hopefully there will be some progress reports soon.

william_ace
02-19-2008, 09:17 PM
well dont sell it, then you wont be able to enjoy it. if you need any help sometime i can probably help.

RCcola55
02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
i remember reading about that tire years ago, from what i recall it was all good things. And also i dont know how the timing bump work on the modified as it does the windsor, have you checked into that?

Seth
02-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a windsor, it is a 95. Or is there something huge I have missed?

Thinking about a black grill and headlight surrounds to replace the scratched up chrome ones too.

Also have a couple free lights to mount on the back somewhere as backup/flood lights.

pics in a sec

Seth
02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I guess this was they will show up as links, to make them show for real you have to host them somewhere? so photobucket, or can I get an account that looks like the forums layout? I'm not sure whos that is.

Seth
02-20-2008, 10:46 AM
The first pic, can anyone tell me which carrier is which? I need the one for 4.10.

The second, anyone need hub parts, or misc races and bearings? or brake hoses?

The third, that's all the heavy stuff I have, I would like to end up with it in my truck or gone. Left to right as best I can:

D44 spider gears and pin, hopefully I can make these work.

Two ttb spindles, anyone need em?

D44 spindle, I'll most likely keep as a spare. (the big base is the old axle right?)

D44 rotor and fubared hub (from seized bearing)

8.8 4.56 gears - FOR SALE!

D44 3.55 gears - FOR SALE CHEAP!

Good hub and rotor, keepin for spare, maybe use the rotors someday.

D44 4.56 ring gear, pinion is in the truck, for sale once it is pulled.

Two D44 carriers, keepin one, other for sale CHEAP!

RCcola55
02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
sorry i thought i remember hearing you had the modified in that truck

Seth
02-24-2008, 08:31 PM
went out to get it off the side of the road today. drove it til it got hot. got towed the rest of the way home. no i do not have pics of a chevy towing my ford :flipoff2: pulled the fan shroud off, and saw the huge gash in my radiator. then pulled the water pump off and saw the huge hole in my timing cover. ****ing sweet. good call tommy.

william_ace
02-24-2008, 08:51 PM
story?