PDA

View Full Version : The Charlie Truck

Pages : [1] 2

J Cooper
07-05-2004, 09:15 PM
started a little work on the japanese truck today, mostly getting ready for body work, bondo and paint, and put in a bed liner...
heres a few pics

more pics here (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/album36)

EDIT: i forgot to post before pic.. so here they are (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/Toyota-Hilux)

eight
07-05-2004, 09:51 PM
That rust looked worse with the paint on. You gonna paint it yourself? Hope you didn't use the duplicolor roll-on bedliner.

J Cooper
07-05-2004, 09:57 PM
most of it was just bondo cracking,whoever used to own it i think used alot of bondo to straighten out the bed, or had cut out the rust, filled it then bondoed the **** out of it, it was pretty thick but it wasnt rust, only real rust i found was along 1 or 2 seams and that surface rust on the bed, yeah ill probaly paint it myself, i have just a little bit of experience with paints, no it was rust-olium(sp?) warrior bed liner

TRDyota
07-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Looks good. Whats next?

J Cooper
07-05-2004, 10:20 PM
... have it run :flipoff2:

Violentv8toy
07-05-2004, 10:32 PM
did i miss something here? did you buy that from eric? or is eric living in the east wing?

if you did get it from eric, what made you do it?

eight
07-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Grand theft auto again maybe

J Cooper
07-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Grand theft auto again maybe

:eek:

J Cooper
07-06-2004, 12:54 AM
just kidding mario, yeah im gonna buy it from eric, ive been looking for a truck for a long time and this is in my price range and ive always wanted that exact truck, i know it needs work but im gonna make her pretty and run real good, get a new motor and lower it back a little if i have too, and im gonna buy chris scotties all terrains to help with that..... yes its wierd, ive crossed over to the dark side for jeep owners.... but yes like ryan said, this vehicle will be legal and more practical, now i can use my jeep for just off-road and take the yota when ever i feel like it also

uglyota
07-06-2004, 08:40 AM
he'll take the yota when he wants to wheel hard AND pull chicks
all the cool kids drive yotas anyway
I thought you said it had a lot of Bondo?! That's all metal under there! Oh yeah, I have a small tub of it that might still be good.
Bedliner looks bad ass. Do you know how long I've been carrying that stuff around?
Where'd you put the springs and stuff that were in the back? I might redo Ugly's suspension on sunday. I'll be over to try and get Charlie running this afternoon...

J Cooper
07-06-2004, 03:08 PM
he'll take the yota when he wants to wheel hard AND pull chicks
all the cool kids drive yotas anyway
I thought you said it had a lot of Bondo?! That's all metal under there! Oh yeah, I have a small tub of it that might still be good.
Bedliner looks bad ass. Do you know how long I've been carrying that stuff around?
Where'd you put the springs and stuff that were in the back? I might redo Ugly's suspension on sunday. I'll be over to try and get Charlie running this afternoon...

yeah ive idolized michael j fox since back to the future... now i get to be a cool kid too :rolleyes:
there is alot of bondo, but it was used to make it straight not fill in holes,
and the springs i took to bryan iron and metal.... they gave me $5 for all of em :flipoff2:

there in the garage

Violentv8toy
07-06-2004, 10:05 PM
thats cool man...i've always dug the 1st gens as long as they're not rusted out and complete.

stx4wheeler
07-10-2004, 02:13 AM
i jsut finished painting my uncles cherokee cooper and not to toot my own horn but turned out better than i thought it would if you need any help or a paint gun i can bring mine when i come back to college station next month.

jerryg79
07-10-2004, 09:36 AM
i jsut finished painting my uncles cherokee cooper and not to toot my own horn
Stop or you'll go blind! :flipoff2:

J Cooper
07-10-2004, 06:03 PM
paint might be a little down the road now....

pulled the valve cover today and this is what i saw, and i broke my wrench trying to turn it over, i cleaned it up a bit, and it moves fine now... then i drained the oil and it was brown like it had water in it....

think a 4.3 tbi would look good in this truck?? :confused:just need to get the adapter

or something like this... (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/supra/)

J Cooper
07-10-2004, 06:23 PM
off to pull the motor out and see whats up...

Graystroke
07-11-2004, 11:39 AM
If you want it to run on the cheap here's some ideas. pull the head clean it up and check the valve seats. may be able to hand lap them. replace the vavle stem seals. pull the the crank and use a what I call a dingle berry hone and lots of oil to hone out the cylinders. replace the rings and main bearings, maybe the rods and slap it back together, You could even leave the block in the truck and do the rebuild in situ. It's easy w/ an inline engine. Austin could borrow the hone for you from Vilas. Total cost: set of rings, bearings, and gasket set, oh and some lapping abrasive and a suction cup from vatozone...it would make Eric proud!

just keep everything in order and know the exact location and orientation of where it was. carboard and a numbered punch set from your local Harbor Freight Store

eight
07-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Well, it was a stubborn little *****, but we got that old jap outta there. We added up the cost to do what you're saying, it's not too bad, but still twice what it would be for a good american engine. Eric thinks if you pull the head it'll warp.

J Cooper
07-11-2004, 03:22 PM
cleaned it up a little bit, there was some sludge in the oil pan, but the pick up and filter looked clean, so im thinking the rust occured after the motor was pulled from its previous vehicle and the moisture is what rusted the top like that, i think the motor can be fine with a little things like grayson said, its already out, might as well do a couple things to it that are cheap, if it gets to expensive i would rather just find a 22re or a 4.3 and pay for the expensive adapter, or an 83 can fit a 350 with no problem, but then i would just end up with something like marios choda :flipoff2:.... ill just try to fix the 4 little hamsters first

Violentv8toy
07-11-2004, 04:22 PM
chevy engine is an easy swap...i'd rather put a 4.3 FI in there instead of a 4 banger.

but i don't know anything - look at the nightmare of a rig i've got.

J Cooper
07-14-2004, 02:04 PM
hooked up a bellhousing and started and did a compression test on the motor, and it was dead, so we pulled it all apart to see what it looked like... verdict is "complete piece of ****" doesnt look like it needed machining, but definetely lots of new parts and a rebuild kit at the least... so to me its junk... next motor please

more pics here (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/album37?page=1)

J Cooper
07-14-2004, 02:05 PM
eric making the engine his ***** with the help of ryan

J Cooper
07-14-2004, 02:06 PM
going going gone!!!

J Cooper
07-14-2004, 02:09 PM
after the motor was apart... and a few beers, we saw a june bug and a roach... so we did what anyone would do....

J Cooper
07-14-2004, 02:12 PM
lissa at 7 pm(before), putting in new gear box and axle shaft w/closed bearing unit.... lissa at 5am(after) tried to go home and her tire would not spin, it was like a dog dragging a dead leg...

davido
07-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Man... that looks like trouble. You are now officially the "1101" house. :)

uglyota
07-14-2004, 02:51 PM
burn baby burn!

redcagepatrol
07-14-2004, 02:53 PM
WOW :cool:

reminds me of my time spent there. I will start getting my hands dirty again with a D60 build-up...

bburris
07-14-2004, 03:38 PM
What happened with Lissa's Jeep? Was the bearing that she got off ebay frozen?

J Cooper
07-14-2004, 06:19 PM
i think it has something to do with the backing place, with the tire off and the lug nots off it spins fine, once you put the tire on and tighten it, it doesnt move an inch, i think the tire and rim and smashing the rotor into the steering arm

CRaSHnBuRN
07-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Damn, that lying sob must of dunked the truck in a creek before I got it. well engine #2 should be coming into town late thursday, early friday, so lets hope we have better luck with it cause I'm running out of spares.

J Cooper
07-14-2004, 09:10 PM
yeah looks like it was a beach truck or something... one that liked to swim, but yeah hopefully number 2 works, thanks chris :beer:

CRaSHnBuRN
07-14-2004, 10:26 PM
I'll give you a call when I get back to town with it. Is the number you have in your sig your cell phone?

J Cooper
07-14-2004, 10:39 PM
yeah thats my number

uglyota
07-15-2004, 09:06 AM
i think it has something to do with the backing place, with the tire off and the lug nots off it spins fine, once you put the tire on and tighten it, it doesnt move an inch, i think the tire and rim and smashing the rotor into the steering arm
you guys fix this last night?

jerryg79
07-15-2004, 09:12 AM
you guys fix this last night?
They got it all apart but the new u-joint they bought didnt fit, so lissa is finishing it up today

uglyota
07-15-2004, 09:15 AM
they BOUGHT a u-joint?
Kopecki must not have been there with his receipts :D

did you guys decide to swap the rotor out and see if that fixes it?

lissa
07-15-2004, 01:17 PM
its all together except for one bolt that holds on the caliper i couldnt get it on and there wasent a boy around to help me. i think i messed up the heli coil thing so ill probably have to redue that but shouldnt take to long

robertf03
07-15-2004, 01:31 PM
its all together except for one bolt that holds on the caliper i couldnt get it on and there wasent a boy around to help me. i think i messed up the heli coil thing so ill probably have to redue that but shouldnt take to long

did I read that right, you helicoiled the caliper bracket?

fbronco86
07-15-2004, 01:39 PM

well robert if you think about it the bolt really has no load but to hold the caliper in place. So it should be ok but helicoils are really not meant to have a bolt run in out alot they just dont hold up over time.

lissa
07-15-2004, 01:55 PM

i might have wrote it wrong i dont know

jerryg79
07-15-2004, 02:04 PM
You know that thing was held on by a zip tie daisy chain before, right flem?

robertf03
07-15-2004, 02:09 PM
forgot about the zip tie. Sounds rike the repair is up to par. I hope the bolt doesn't brake and rip the brake rine and roose control. I'll just have to rook out for it on the road.

jerryg79
07-15-2004, 02:24 PM
forgot about the zip tie. Sounds rike the repair is up to par. I hope the bolt doesn't brake and rip the brake rine and roose control. I'll just have to rook out for it on the road.

It's flied lice you plick, sclew you lound eye!

AgDieseler
07-15-2004, 03:16 PM
It no matter!!!

J Cooper
07-15-2004, 03:28 PM
i think my thread just got snaked by lissas jeep :flipoff2:

the main problem was that she bought a axle shaft(both ends which aslo has a closed bearing unit) from a YJ, so the closed bearing unit was not the same, when the rotor mounted onto it was like a 1/4 inch difference which caused the rotor to hit the steering arm and knuckle, so we just changed the bearing unit and replaced the axle shaft ujoint while it was out... which led to two extra days of crap

bburris
07-15-2004, 03:45 PM
The unit bearings for a YJ and a TJ should have been the same... Maybe it was off a Grand.

Doug Krebs
07-15-2004, 03:47 PM
It no matter!!!

It sure doesn't, I think jerry told me they are tearing that house down now!

J Cooper
07-15-2004, 04:22 PM
The unit bearings for a YJ and a TJ should have been the same... Maybe it was off a Grand.

my bad i meant xj

uglyota
07-15-2004, 05:14 PM
How'd that yoke look when you got the Ujoint out? :D

Back to Yotas--anybody up for a 1-day fool infection conversion this weekend--japanese style?

J Cooper
07-15-2004, 05:22 PM

Back to Yotas--anybody up for a 1-day fool infection conversion this weekend--japanese style?

we used the yoke off the xj shaft, just changed out the bearing unit

back to yotas-- yes full on wrench day at regime 218, get some beer and bar b q and just have at it... get that ***** bolted in and wired up.... maybe run, i dont know if well have time

but yeah... i could also use some help cleaning the garage out :flipoff2:

usmcagg02
07-15-2004, 09:43 PM
gimme a call when ya get started, if i'm free i'll come help. 676-0449

Chadnutz
07-15-2004, 09:58 PM
So all the progress is being made over there. When can I bring my Jap crap over?

I'm taking it home this weekend to look in the seelinders with a borescope and see if I can find any puddles. Even if I do I will still drive it like it is because I think this new radiator can control the temp. Also going to get the brakes working and if I can con my dad....look at the tranny problem. If I can't I'm going to need some help figuring out why the tranny turns but won't shift into 5 or R and won't spin the tcase. Then all I have to do after that is make a front bumper. Maybe I can make that July 31 trip?!?

CRaSHnBuRN
07-15-2004, 10:02 PM

We gonna get a chance to bend some tube sometime this weekend? If I can get the remaining tube bent and tacked, I can have that POS out of your way next weekend. If I get it home by friday or sat next week, I may even be able to have it running and painted by the end of the weekend

CRaSHnBuRN
07-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Oh yeah, the engine is on back of the truck, so I'll give you'll a call tommorow morning, unless someone will be around tonite and wants to get it around midnight when I get back to town

J Cooper
07-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Oh yeah, the engine is on back of the truck, so I'll give you'll a call tommorow morning, unless someone will be around tonite and wants to get it around midnight when I get back to town

whatever is easier for you, ill be up at midnight if you want to bring it by then, i can help unload it

J Cooper
07-15-2004, 10:15 PM
So all the progress is being made over there. When can I bring my Jap crap over?

I'm taking it home this weekend to look in the seelinders with a borescope and see if I can find any puddles. Even if I do I will still drive it like it is because I think this new radiator can control the temp. Also going to get the brakes working and if I can con my dad....look at the tranny problem. If I can't I'm going to need some help figuring out why the tranny turns but won't shift into 5 or R and won't spin the tcase. Then all I have to do after that is make a front bumper. Maybe I can make that July 31 trip?!?

im pretty sure we can figure it out, i dont mind if you bring it by once we get all the other crap out of the way... and my aunts boyfriend is a mechanic at a transmittion shop, they live right over on rockprarie, im sure if we bought him some beer he would be over there in like 2 secs....

J Cooper
07-15-2004, 10:23 PM
well engine #2 should be coming into town late thursday, early friday

anybody up for a 1-day fool infection conversion this weekend

yes full on wrench day at regime 218:

p.s. thank you to jerry and mike for coming by ready to start wrenchin on the truck, with beer in hand.... even though i dont even have the motor yet. :flipoff2: :beer:
but yeah it will be here tomorrow, so either do it tomorrow, or all day sat... i was gonna attempt to clean up the garage a little before we started this project, so maybe ill clean up tomorrow and do this **** sat... depends on what eric has planned... he has to ask them warden first when he can play:flipoff2: :D

CRaSHnBuRN
07-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Okay, I'll be leaving my parents in about 15 minutes, so I'll give you a call as I get to town. Try to swap it tommorow or sat, so maybe we can do some bending sunday. 1 day of bending and tube notching and she should be done. I'm so close I can taste it. I need to study for a math 152 test, but I'lll try to get out there to help you some. Out of curiosity, would you be interested in some allpro rocksliders or a that rockstomper tube bumper I had on the toy?

jerryg79
07-15-2004, 10:38 PM
p.s. thank you to jerry and mike for coming by ready to start wrenchin on the truck, with beer in hand.... even though i dont even have the motor yet. :flipoff2: :beer:
but yeah it will be here tomorrow, so either do it tomorrow, or all day sat... i was gonna attempt to clean up the garage a little before we started this project, so maybe ill clean up tomorrow and do this **** sat... depends on what eric has planned... he has to ask them warden first when he can play:flipoff2: :D

yes yes saturday, saturday, too bad i'll be gone riding dirt bikes else i would be down! :flipoff2:

J Cooper
07-15-2004, 10:50 PM
would you be interested in some allpro rocksliders or a that rockstomper tube bumper I had on the toy?

actually yes... i was gonna ask you about those

J Cooper
07-15-2004, 10:50 PM
yes yes saturday, saturday, too bad i'll be gone riding dirt bikes else i would be down! :flipoff2:

yeah sorry about that, i just thought i had friends visiting me :flipoff2:

J Cooper
07-16-2004, 01:02 AM
got the infection

CRaSHnBuRN
07-16-2004, 01:16 AM
damn, you waste no time with that camera, huh?

J Cooper
07-16-2004, 01:29 AM
hell no

jerryg79
07-16-2004, 02:10 AM
got the infection
Dang that thing run propane? Grayson is in town, just got done partying with the old man, so tomorrow we need to get drunk somewhere with him.

PS with all the mexican fire fighters in town we got rejected from the dirty sock last night cause they were over capacity WTF?

to stay on topic.......'83 is the best year for toyota!

uglyota
07-16-2004, 08:57 AM
'83 is the best year for toyota!
smart man:D

Okay instead of using PMs I'll try and schedule here in order to make this 4-vehicle buildup thread rival Chadwell's

How about we go balls out on Charlie on Sunday, like even start before noon, saturday's gonna be kinda busy for me, maybe you guys can work on some Furds or a bronco

Chris, I'll be available all (edit: next) weekend and we can finish up all your tube and welding, any chance you can get the trailer so we can load it up then? BTW the numbers on your computer are 89661-35630 and 175600-0781 (but there's none up on ebay right now).

Damn grad school...

uglyota
07-16-2004, 09:31 AM
I'm going to need some help figuring out why the tranny turns but won't shift into 5 or R and won't spin the tcase.
the answer to (almost) all your problems:
http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4172

the answer to the rest:
http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3839&stc=1
:flipoff2:

Busa
07-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I know where there is a 22r that is running and everything and you could get it cheep.
Call 936-870-5856 May have some parts for that truck aswell and some other motors and tranny and tcases.

CRaSHnBuRN
07-16-2004, 11:59 AM
smart man:D

Okay instead of using PMs I'll try and schedule here in order to make this 4-vehicle buildup thread rival Chadwell's

How about we go balls out on Charlie on Sunday, like even start before noon, saturday's gonna be kinda busy for me, maybe you guys can work on some Furds or a bronco

Chris, I'll be available all weekend and we can finish up all your tube and welding, any chance you can get the trailer so we can load it up then? BTW the numbers on your computer are 89661-35630 and 175600-0781 (but there's none up on ebay right now).

Damn grad school...

So your saying work on the bending next weekend?

uglyota
07-16-2004, 12:19 PM
sorry, fixed it...yeah man we'll get our bend on next weekend and finish her up.
We'll even cut all the little reinforcements and mounting the winch and radiator and whatnot. Sound aight?

busa, thanks for the tip

eight
07-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Well, I gotta call about some emergency about needing another tuber/drinker on the comal/san marcos/blanco so yall might have to manage without the master fabricator.

uglyota
07-16-2004, 01:15 PM
alright we'll have to :beer: extra hard to make up for you

are you gonna be around to weld on Feller's rig next weekend?

BigRedFord04
07-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Well, I gotta call about some emergency about needing another tuber/drinker on the comal/san marcos/blanco so yall might have to manage without the master fabricator.
you suck

eight
07-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Na I think I'll stay and drink yall's beer instead. When's the work startin where? Austin you got those d44 pinion shims?

BigRedFord04
07-16-2004, 01:58 PM
uhhhh......yeah.... :confused:

J Cooper
07-18-2004, 12:48 AM
putting in the new motor tomorrow, start between 10-12, put on your bone wrenching shirts and bring your beer :flipoff2: should be able to get most of it hooked up and wired... main thing will be hooking up harness to existing dash and column... and i need a newer gas tank with a fuel pump... but im ready to work :beer:

CRaSHnBuRN
07-18-2004, 06:45 AM
hey ugly, any chance we could rob what we needed (fule tank and airflow thing) from that 4runner you found? Sure its a different engine, but will the rest of that stuff necessarily be different.

Also, I wish i could make it out there to help, but I really need to stay home and prep for a test

J Cooper
07-19-2004, 02:25 AM
started today about 1 and ended at 8:30, lots of wire chasing, labeling, adding, pulling apart, and copy cating (from erics truck)... but its mostly all figured out, the harness is all plugged into the motor and we know what everything goes to what... but instead of tearing out all of the old wiring from the truck were gonna make the engine a stand alone, and use the EFI harness just for that... all lights, accessories and radio will run off of the original harness... onlything left to do to get it running is splicing in the new harness into the ignition running the wiring behind the dash and putting in a fuel pump....
only snag we had all day a bolt on the bellhousing that was being a punta... need a better air gun :cheers:

J Cooper
07-19-2004, 02:26 AM
thanks to the crew for helping out today... eric, cody, ryan and of course lissa :cheers:
more pics here (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/album40)

CRaSHnBuRN
07-19-2004, 07:04 AM
damn, that thing swallowed that engine. the body lift definitely should go. Wish I could have come out there and helped, but school had to come first. Perhaps I'll get a chance to come by and check it out later this week

uglyota
07-19-2004, 09:01 AM
I think we're gonna go with an inline fuel pump so we don't have to bung a different fuel tank in it. AFM's different, but I have one. My extra ICM works too. Drank some beers, talked some chit, had a pretty good time. :cheers:
Bendin tube saturday.

J Cooper
07-19-2004, 01:04 PM
damn, that thing swallowed that engine. the body lift definitely should go.

yes i definetely think the body lift should go, especially with the bfgs.. which are gonna be shorter... but while bolting up the transmission we saw a little problem, either a previous owner filled in part of the tunnel some how or toyota did something wierd from the factory... there is only like 1" clearance between the top of the tranny and the tub :confused:

redcagepatrol
07-19-2004, 08:51 PM
man this reminds me of building my '84 with the '91 engine. That's alot of crappy work. Looks good guys :gigem:

uglyota
07-20-2004, 09:16 AM
How did you rig your wiring (and the wiring in the Patrol)?
Our plan is to make engine/starter/alternator standalone with the computer, then have a hot wire run to the other stuff (heater, radio, lights) and run that off the '83 harness.
Any tricks on how to make the efi harness more manageable?

fbronco86
07-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Our plan is to make engine/starter/alternator standalone with the computer, then have a hot wire run to the other stuff (heater, radio, lights) and run that off the '83 harness.

when did the fuel injection swap on my bronco. I let the engine do its own thing and the body do another. the only thing i had to tie in was starting and alt.

redcagepatrol
07-20-2004, 03:47 PM
The Patrol was pretty much completly custom besides the engine harness... It used all aftermarket gauges and lights etc...
For my '84 I ended up splicing a bunch of wires - just added a few for the fuel pump / fuel light. I ended up using all of the 84 light wires around the outside but spliced a bunch of stuff inside the cab for things like the radio, heater, ac, cig lighter, and all of that other good stuff. My main problem was that I used the gauge cluster from my 91 truck and had to use my 91 plugs and that harness to wire into in. all in all, it was a HUGE mess and something that I never want to to again.
Good luck :flipoff2:

CRaSHnBuRN
07-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Bendin tube saturday.

Free beer for anyone who helps
So how much beer should I . . . umm, aquire for this weekend? :D

BTW coop, if you come out would you mind bringing your digi cam so I could get a few pics of the buildup, as well as one of those windshield stickers.

Oh, and one other thing, didn't someone mention that one of the new members used to be a yota tech at a dealership? If he is on the board I was wondering if he would mind coming out and perhaps give me an idea of why my truck suddenly decided to quit running

J Cooper
07-20-2004, 08:34 PM
yeah ill bring the camera out..... and Junior is the one that worked for toyota... he works in houston so you would have to ask him.

J Cooper
07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
hey toyota fans.... question... i was thinking about taking the body lift off the toyota.... cause i hate body lifts... but the transmittion tunnel appears to be redneck fabed, there is about 1" of clearance between the cab and top of trans, and this is with a 3" body lift.... unless this is stock? :confused: or was a cab off something else and they cut up the floor and made this gay contraption to fit the shifters in place..... i ran a carfax report through a guy on pirate and he said it didnt say if the vins were originally a 2wd or 4wd

should I cut it out with a plasma or sawsaw and just redo it flat?

suggestions

J Cooper
07-22-2004, 08:37 PM
... also got new tires today... thanks Chris S. :beer:

CRaSHnBuRN
07-22-2004, 09:36 PM
cut that junk out of there. its definitly not stock. I should have your gas tank and other assorted junk tommorow around noon

Graystroke
07-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Can you find a similar truck at a junkyard? I think there is an early yota over at the foreign car yard off of 2818 behind the freightliner dealer. Take a cordless sawsall or a small torch kit and cut out the piece (if they'll let you). you could do a real professional job w/ a flanging tool and some clinkos then weld it up. to keep the heat down (and the floor from warping) use welding puddy or short stitch welds and let the piece cool b/w welds and alternate sides.

also radius your corners so you can flange there too. can't even tell the floor has been replaced from the top and barely can tell from the bottom after a coat of undercoating.

stx4wheeler
07-22-2004, 11:10 PM
or just forgetta bout the fancy welding and cutting and put the carpet back down.

redcagepatrol
07-23-2004, 12:11 AM
looks like a fabbed floor to me. Cut it out and add some rubber to take is's place :flipoff2:

Graystroke
07-23-2004, 12:15 AM
looks like a fabbed floor to me. Cut it out and add some rubber to take is's place :flipoff2:

Yeah, find (steal) a mud flap from a truck. Steven can get you one from Bus Ops!

eight
07-23-2004, 01:03 AM
Guess I'm not the only one to make shift boots out of a mud flap.

CRaSHnBuRN
07-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Guess I'm not the only one to make shift boots out of a mud flap.

shifter boots from a mudflap? How does that work? (remember,I gotta cover some holes in the back of my cab where the tubing runs)

eight
07-23-2004, 09:18 AM
It's just a 2" hole for the tranny shifter. The t-case shifter needs about 4" travel so I put a hole where it normally sits, and then just slit it. I'm sure I'll be seein you this weekend, you can look at it.

uglyota
07-23-2004, 11:58 AM
It's just a 2" hole for the tranny shifter. The t-case shifter needs about 4" travel so I put a hole where it normally sits, and then just slit it. I'm sure I'll be seein you this weekend, you can look at it.
yeah, it looks stock :flipoff2:

J Cooper
07-23-2004, 06:45 PM
i dont know what this person was trying to achieve but here is the trans tunnel from inside the cab.... :confused:

maybe since he had a 3" body( :rainbow: ) he wanted the shifter to still stick through the floor :flipoff2:

uglyota
07-23-2004, 06:50 PM
guess we don't have to worry about that dirty carpet anymore? Might need another can of bedliner tho.
at least it looks like it was done pretty well
sooo...ready to try some metalwork, or live with a little bodylift?

J Cooper
07-23-2004, 06:52 PM
metal work.... should be easy.... if anything just make an aluminum box... kinda like in nicks jeep

J Cooper
07-23-2004, 09:51 PM
took about 10 mins, with a air hammer, sawsall, hammer and prybar..... and 1 keystone

... so we had extra time and took apart CJs jeep :flipoff2:

J Cooper
08-12-2004, 12:55 PM
got some work done after my final yesterday, i can get some work done now that summer school is over

mainly just stripping down and getting ready to bondo and paint still... now i can rewire the dash without a problem

J Cooper
08-12-2004, 01:00 PM
some more

uglyota
08-12-2004, 04:04 PM
do you know how long it took me to get that bumper on straight?
is that wire bundle on the dash the old harness or the new one?

J Cooper
08-12-2004, 04:58 PM
do you know how long it took me to get that bumper on straight?
is that wire bundle on the dash the old harness or the new one?

bumper is probably going anyways, to match the rear and sliders... and if it does stay it still had the 3" lift things on it, so when the body lift comes off it would of had to anyways

thats the old harness still... havent gotten that far.... im only one person

heres my dash painted (its a 94 toyota siler) and my new racing seats :flipoff2: :rolleyes:

uglyota
08-12-2004, 05:33 PM
bumper is probably going anyways, to match the rear and sliders...
so take some good pictures of it so I can stick it on ebay and have money to finish this "little project"

J Cooper
08-14-2004, 03:12 PM
work from thurs... got dash painted and back together and bed is stripped and smooth ready for bondo and primer

i just realized that me and cjs rigs are going through the exact same things at the same time :flipoff2:

J Cooper
09-20-2004, 05:54 PM
hadnt touched the truck in about 5 weeks... been helpin with the cjiv

but got the bed off and sand blasted, new hood and about 2 hours worth of work ready to paint, but gonna get it all wired up first....

.... not reallyupdate page 2, and 3 (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/album36?page=3)

i might just leave the bed off and be uglyota II :flipoff2:

J Cooper
09-20-2004, 05:57 PM
speakin of beds check out erics new bed!! (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/album62/DSCF0021) :flipoff2:

uglyota
09-20-2004, 06:08 PM
I don't need no steenking bed :flipoff2:
that last pic makes it look like it's ready to eat an unsuspecting jeep!

I want everybody to notice that I was practicing safe sandblasting...you can clearly see that I'm wearing sunglasses :D

J Cooper
09-21-2004, 07:18 PM
been wodering what to do with the back and sides of the truck... this is just playing around on photoshop... either way it turns out its gonna have tube front and rear bumpers and sliders

and the fenders in the picture are lined not cut. looked alot better as a psd file.

... not sure if im gonna do it yet, i still have a combination of options to deal with... and ive lowerd the truck 3" from the pictures... and again it will have a bumper that wraps under that overhang

Shaggy
09-21-2004, 09:56 PM
that is literally web wheeling

JeepPhisherman
09-21-2004, 10:09 PM
any real man would bob it

eight
09-21-2004, 10:43 PM
I don't like it. Leave that tail on. Without it, it looks just another toyota, no longer a hilux. Its supposed to be a DD anyway, never know when you're gonna need a 7' bed.

J Cooper
09-22-2004, 12:47 AM
yeah i know... i think it looks cool as **** like that though.... what about replacing the roll bar with tool box or the lined sides??

bburris
09-22-2004, 12:50 AM
I think the lined sides will depend a little on what color you are going to paint the truck, but I like them. They look good on the vehicles I've seen with them and they'll add a little protection for any sandy/salty climates you may encounter...

J Cooper
09-22-2004, 01:06 AM
I think the lined sides will depend a little on what color you are going to paint the truck

silver

uglyota
09-22-2004, 10:20 AM
chop those front wheels up where they're supposed to be and level it out...the angles are exaggerating the length of the bed

how about some pics of lined sides with full-length bed?

you've got the body work almost done anyway, let's just finish it up full length with chrome rollbar so we can hack the Heep apart, then if you still can't stand it after driving it around a while, once you get the Heep back together, chop the bed off, add a toolbox and we'll build a new rollbar.

edit: I can't deny that bobbed looks pimp tho.

bburris
09-22-2004, 12:25 PM
I agree with Eric... Finish the project and see how you like it for a while. Isn't the plan for this one to not take it offroad much?

The pictures of it boobed look better than a Taco, though. How much longer is that wheelbase?

JeepPhisherman
09-22-2004, 01:04 PM
If you're not going to wheel it much, i say leave the bed for hauling stuff around, if you plan on wheeling it though, that bobbed bed looks sexy

stx4wheeler
09-22-2004, 02:10 PM
i personally think that the truck looks better with the long bed on it.

Shaggy
09-22-2004, 02:22 PM
leave it alone... that just makes for more work and longer till it is together... dont you want a vehicle that is legal to drive on the road

J Cooper
09-22-2004, 03:51 PM
is this any better??? lowered w/ long bed, bling bar, liner and rear bumper and sliders on.... i think it looks alot better with the bumper on it... i like it

uglyota
09-22-2004, 04:13 PM
cool...I think we'll be drivin that byotch this weekend!

fbronco86
09-22-2004, 04:13 PM
I say put a z71 sticker on it and some glasspacks and call it done.

stx4wheeler
09-22-2004, 04:16 PM
hey instead of spending time photo choppin it get out there and work on it, and show us a real picture!!!!

J Cooper
09-22-2004, 04:31 PM
I say put a z71 sticker on it and some glasspacks and call it done.

how about no.....

maybe a TRD and flow :flipoff2:

hey instead of spending time photo choppin it get out there and work on it, and show us a real picture!!!!

i had 2 exams today and a paper due tomorrow and lab **** to do... and i only slept like 2 hours last night.... so the 5 mins it took me to photochop in the AC is all the effort for today.... ill have the bondo done friday and sat it will be on its way to be wired and maybe next weekend paint it, then put back together.... and like it a few posts back ive been helping cj, so charlie took a back seat....

J Cooper
09-22-2004, 04:34 PM
cool...I think we'll be drivin that byotch this weekend!

might run but it will still be in a million pieces, cant put it back together till its painted... but it might be fun, bolt in seat in and go... who needs stuff like a bed or lights or a dash w/guages.... or door handles to get in :flipoff2:

uglyota
09-22-2004, 04:49 PM
might run but it will still be in a million pieces, cant put it back together till its painted... but it might be fun, bolt in seat in and go... who needs stuff like a bed or lights or a dash w/guages.... or door handles to get in :flipoff2:
who said we need doors?

J Cooper
09-22-2004, 04:52 PM
haha AWESOME!!

thats way better than my pics :flipoff2:
... at least funnier, **** all this work, i would actually drive it just like that :gigem:

uglyota
09-22-2004, 04:54 PM
you know how I roll :haha:

usmcagg02
09-22-2004, 06:40 PM
who said we need doors?

show that pic to a psychatrist and i bet you're in an institution by the end of the week :flipoff2:

uglyota
09-23-2004, 08:50 AM
show that pic to a psychatrist and i bet you're in an institution by the end of the week :flipoff2:
I got some real good ones of your mom :flipoff2:

Nice avatar Cooper :gigem:

usmcagg02
09-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I got some real good ones of your mom :flipoff2:

yea, you prolly drew them like that piece of **** :gigem:

J Cooper
11-09-2004, 02:55 AM
seems like i have something to post every two months... ill be done by the time i graduate at this rate :rolleyes: thats what happens when you live at school and help other people all the time.... its all good

since my recent run in with the cops and the jeep i got some stuff done sunday.

as of today:
new exhaust made and bolted on, 1 fender cut, got the trans unbolted so that i can get the clutch all lined up right with the help of my custom wood lift blocks for easy access to the bolts :flipoff2:

new hood, bed sandblasted and bondo almost done, just touch ups on the door and bed left then its ready for paint, got the metal to remake my floors, the 86 harness is all ran and hooked up except for the steering column and relays,
got the new FI tank. pump, and harness... the tank is 3" taller than stock... so instead of putting the 3" body lift back on, I cut the lift pucks in half (1 1/2" lift) and made a 1 1/2" gas tank drop out of square tubing.
got the new wiper motor on that matches the 86 harness, power steering box and resevour mounted, coil and all ignition parts bolted down, radiator bolted on with 1 hose, radiator overflow and washer resevour relocated, battery relocated, battery tray cut out and air box mounted where battery was , cut down cross over tube to fit to box and i cut out the airbox whole a little more... also got a tool box thanks to jason coe

ran out of things to do... need more parts... should only need like 1, maybe 2 days of work, then get jason merek to wire the ignition and then paint and put back together

motor (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/album40?page=3)
body work (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/album36?page=3)

uglyota
11-09-2004, 09:30 AM
did you extend the wires to reach across to the AFM?
Get the tranny and engine separated?
We'll have her running saturday :gigem:

J Cooper
11-09-2004, 11:59 AM
no its not separated yet... just like it was suppost to be sunday?... ill hold my breath

uglyota
11-09-2004, 12:26 PM
see you friday

J Cooper
11-09-2004, 03:31 PM
:cheers:

J Cooper
11-17-2004, 02:44 PM
did a **** load of work this weekend, lots of body work and organizing motor thurs
friday-tues -- pulled trans with the persuation of a come along, BFH and a prybar--notice the prybar between the frame on the second pic... thats what held the transmission after it finally popped off from the bearing

... retapped holes (thanks for the tap scott), got it all bolted up the right way, slave cylinder mounted and bled... all works great

mounted gas tank with its 1 1/2" drop along with a 1 1/2" body lift so the bed will fit, all the lines ran and hot wired to check for leaks to motor

got driveshafted mounted... except rear axle is newer so the holes did not line up... i could only get two of four bolts in, so im going to clock it and drill 4 new holes

engine compartment complete---all heater hoses, radiator hoses, fuel lines, battery cables, grounds, starter with silinoid, main fuse block hooked up, throttle cable, vacuums, lengthened airflow meter wires, made adapter to go to tail harness, etc, etc... basically everything except for the actual interior (guages, ac, etc)

thought we had it where we could start it with a screw driver and nothing.....
jumped the clutch kill switch and some other tricks and still nothing...found out we were missing a section of harness and some plugs...

so made to trips to gordans... spent $50 but got all the rest of the parts i needed for the truck... we also got to completely disasembled the interior of a toyota while waiting for the rain to stop
(resevors, plugs, harness, lines, covers, coolers, bulbs, hood latch and cable, etc.)

so after plugging in the new harness we at least blew two fuses---this was tues night after me and eric desided to split 4 pitchers at the chicken while we waited for the rain... i think it was his friend b-day but he wasnt there long... so we celebrated for him :beer: :flipoff2:,

so after blowing my fuse and then the one from erics truck we called it a night....

but heres some pics of the progress
pages 4-6
pics (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/album40?page=4)

its so close i can taste it...

robertf03
11-22-2004, 02:05 AM
you guys get anything else done on it?

was thinking about it on the way home, I bet that blue wire that came out of the door buzzer that eric was messing with maybe controlled dome lights and thats why it was bundled in with the harness that went to the back(?)

uglyota
11-22-2004, 01:17 PM
here's what I was telling you about, Flem
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Images/FuelPump.gif
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#FuelPump
looks like even if you jumper the fuel pump tester, it still goes through the main circuit opening relay...oh well it works

robertf03
11-22-2004, 01:30 PM
:usa:

so is that fuel pump switch part of that flapper deal on the maf sensor? That would explain why the pump didnt prime since the vacuum of the engine needs to turn on the pump. Must be why most toyotas take a few more cranks to fire up?

uglyota
11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
can any of the coils in the "circuit open relay" close the circuit?
if so then maybe the "ECU Sta" could be the thing that's supposed to prime it?
I know that the way it's *supposed* to work is with a few seconds of priming, but I dunno why ours doesn't
ps yeah the fuel pump switch is part of the "flapper deal" (MAF)

eight
11-22-2004, 01:55 PM
can any of the coils in the "circuit open relay" close the circuit?

Either one can. Don't know what the resistor and capacitor are doin in there though. Maybe they're special for japanese volts....

uglyota
11-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Either one can. Don't know what the resistor and capacitor are doin in there though. Maybe they're special for japanese volts....
I'm pretty sure they're there to make it expensive
mine was between $100 and $150

uglyota
01-06-2005, 10:07 AM
*raisin the roof*
cooper pulls out the Kustom harness we had been futzing with, sticks the new (uncut) one in and after a little tinkering, voila! the sucker runs.
still missing #3
Who knew you had to have the afm plugged in to keep the motor happy?
and according to Jimmy, a dry power steering pump sounds like a ghost that wants to eat your children :laughing:

BMFScout
01-06-2005, 01:07 PM
sweet!
I was afraid that was coming from the bowels of the motors soul, either that or the windmill at katemcy had possessed that poor little 22re! If the latter were true I would have assumed the fetal position and would have been inconsolable....:(

uglyota
01-06-2005, 01:16 PM
nope, but once he gets a header on that byotch you will be able to clearly distinguish the roar of 4 angry rodents methodically churning in their mission to haul ass and pull tail
assume the position :D

wow I just thought of the coolest smilie: top half of :mad: and bottom half of :D
:mad:D?

J Cooper
01-06-2005, 05:46 PM
wow I just thought of the coolest smilie: top half of :mad: and bottom half of :D
:mad:D?
wow you are ADD arent you :flipoff2:

yeah got the harness's swaped out, pushed it in the garage with the help of jimmy and eric using some clever floor jack and wood block moving, and after a couple hours of trying to get it started it ended up just being a little corotion on the a computer terminal... was acting just like scotts in OK. once cleaned off it starts right up every time.

today i pulled the upper intake and injector rail, need to drop off injectors to get rebuilt...

might as well bling up the intake with some paint while its off i guess :D

uglyota
01-06-2005, 05:50 PM
wow you are ADD arent you :flipoff2:
huh? :D
nice...

BMFScout
01-07-2005, 01:00 AM
I was hellbent on the overhaulin' theme tonight, but eric and coop went to Nacogdoches for his sis's 21'st birthday. I say coop went to try to score, but whatever. Those fawkers need to get there priorities straight and sign their commitment to their team...or something...Aerosmith tickets?

BigRedFord04
01-07-2005, 01:14 AM
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album230/madgrin.gif

agjohn02
01-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Don't know what the resistor and capacitor are doin in there though. Maybe they're special for japanese volts....

ford must have special volts too. heres my hi speed engine fan relay. count em, three resistors, two capacitors, and two diodes. it also has a whole bag of itty-bitty chips on the other side of the board. it has five prongs and it took me about an hour to figure out that its not working because one of the diodes es no bueno. i was not getting continuity either way across the diode and it works if you jump the diode.

I'm pretty sure they're there to make it expensive

parts stores didnt have it which means its a stealer only item. ill prolly just replace the diode tomorrow and try her out then.

BMFScout
01-07-2005, 01:27 AM
whats wrong with a GM relay? I say ford is all fawked. why do you have to use that relay?

agjohn02
01-07-2005, 01:33 AM
after hearing all the crap about people burning up relays with the taurus fan i decided to just use the ford relays to push it. plus the box has headlight, horn, and a/c relays too. my lights are terribly dim and the horn sounds like a model T cuz they arent getting enoug voltage through the old wiring harness.

Fredo
01-07-2005, 02:47 AM
ah, ford cli-tauras fans and relays....wow.....why do that? I see the pirate discussion all over again... :rolleyes:

robertf03
01-07-2005, 03:15 AM
jon I think you need to steel some 30 amp relays from a mexican junkyard

agjohn02
01-07-2005, 04:26 AM
for my reply and for further discussion on my fan wiring please be directed to this (http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=58476#post58476) thread. no more snaking of this one... :gigem:

J Cooper
01-10-2005, 04:06 PM
well after 2 days of running around trying to prove to everyone that i had a bad injector and that in fact toyota injectors DO go bad, i just went and bought one at autozone for $50, im also getting one for free in the mail.
also plugged in erics gauge cluster and pulled the codes for it... got them all taken care of so the motor should run perfect after the injector is in.

but while motor was apart i painted the intake and cover and painted the engine compartment.

left to do list: (need truck done before school starts=crunch time)
1.put motor and engine compartment back together and battery tray or put battery in tool box
2.put exhaust on
3.splice in my guage cluster and put in a check engine light
4.splice in older ignition switch so that it will fit inside of stearing column
5.make transmittion cover
6.finish bondo
7.primer and paint
8.put all back together and bolt cab and bed down
9.pack bearings and put on new tires
10.get registered and inspected

uglyota
01-14-2005, 09:35 AM
any luck last night?

J Cooper
01-14-2005, 12:11 PM
yep... runs great, even got the correct ignition wired up. got dash wired up but no dash lights... just the blinkers, gonna look at that today and the tail lights and blinkers... and try and find the correct bearing and spindle nuts for the passenger side... cant actually drive it till then

im gonna see if i can get over to the paint store today and buy some paint to do the interior at least so i can put it all together inside

anyone have a paint gun i can borrrow? ours is MIA

BMFScout
01-14-2005, 12:41 PM
my dad has a swap meet pain gun fetish, I am sure he will let me borrow one of our lesser guns to bring back. I'll be back Sunday night really late though.

J Cooper
01-16-2005, 12:30 AM
found the paint gun... it fell behind the fridge...

sat..1-15-05 progress

running with key in column
have head lights... no brights
have blinkers, flashers and side markers
wipers,washers, interior light (except eric broke the cover earlier in the week but with working door jams) and horn
guage all swapped over and has lights (dont know if guages actually work or not yet)
busa gave me new spindle nuts to fix the "fix" that the previous owner tried to attempt
motor runs smooth... but i think ideler pully bearing is out.. and maybe need a different power steering pump... but power steering swap does work

heres where is went bad::

it first happened while wiring up the guages.... power to all aux lights work and then just cut out... no side markers or dash lights... coulded find any burnt up fuses, wires relays... checked all grounds... nothing... moved around fuse box and then they all came back on just like that.... so we continue to work

happens again for a couple mins then works fine again.

couple hours later while working on the rear harness... i got parking lights, brake lights, fuel pump all wired up... found where blinkers go and just wired up reverse light... have power with test light... so start to look for where it goes on other side by closing the circuit with the test light... cant find ****... then go back to test reverse light on main harness and no power... no side markers.. no tail lights, no guages... and this time the blinkers dont work either... turn on wipers they work for about 5 secs.. and there out too...... still have head lights and still starts right up... WTF

so me and robert searched for about 30 mins.. going over everything we could think of and nothing.... not a damn thing...

any ideas???

eight
01-16-2005, 01:31 AM
You got body grounds?

agjohn02
01-16-2005, 02:43 AM
firewall plugs loose?

sasquatch
01-16-2005, 01:18 PM
The cab might not be grounded good to the battery. We were leaning on it and sitting in it. That might explain it working sometimes, but the blinkers and the wipers were always working. Electrical **** sucks.

J Cooper
01-16-2005, 06:38 PM
got the lights to work... the harness had some corrotion on the fuse terminal for the lights... cleaned it up and it works but it still doesnt make a perfect connection... put some electric grease in there.

but blinkers and reverse light still dont work... but flashers do...

fbronco86
01-16-2005, 07:20 PM
You got body grounds?

yeah its either gonna be a ground problem or just something really dumb that u did. thats how it is in my case anyway.

J Cooper
01-18-2005, 01:18 AM
it was indead something stupid we did.... who would have know that a single fuse could confuse 8 different guys for an entire weekend... oh well that corpus corrotion for you... could barely tell the fuse was blown... and its funny how the fuse that controls reverse and blinkers is labeled engine on the panel... yet the motor runs perfect with out it.... ****in japs!!!

another bad note... the spindle looks more like an egg at the tip than a circle and the threads are flat... so now im stuck till i find that... so much for having it driving by tomorrow when school started

tomorrow i am gonna make the trnas tunnel and paint the interior and dash
1999 toyota silver metallic

CRaSHnBuRN
01-18-2005, 03:09 AM
whats is this spindle you keep talking about? Is it the one in the axle with the big brass bushing? And if so, just what did they do to it?

uglyota
01-18-2005, 10:04 AM
the spindle that the hub bearings ride on. The buttnut that I bought the truck from apparently decided that the inner and outer bearings were interchangeable and stuck an inner bearing on the outside. Didn't quite fit and I guess he couldn't get the locknut on, so just left it, so the bearing rode on the spindle threads, wearing them down and ovalizing the spindle itself.

jerryg79
01-18-2005, 10:18 AM
The buttnut that I bought the truck from apparently decided that the inner and outer bearings were interchangeable and stuck an inner bearing on the outside.

I scanned this part fast, I thought that buttnut was some wierd toyota part :D

uglyota
01-18-2005, 10:46 AM
dealer only :haha:

CRaSHnBuRN
01-18-2005, 03:20 PM
I have a spindle, and most of the outer part of a yota axle in my chevy's tool box. It might be a little rusty as it was part of my tire carrier, but I tried to keep it well greased. let me know

CRaSHnBuRN
01-19-2005, 07:15 AM
well, did it work?

stx4wheeler
01-19-2005, 01:20 PM
well when i left last night the cab was bolted down, and they went to get some bolts for the bed, cooper was gonna paint and i think try to reinstall the interior today.

CRaSHnBuRN
01-19-2005, 01:52 PM
how about the axle, they get it back together? Ugly made it sound like they were going to try to get that done as soon as he got the spindle back over there.

J Cooper
01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
well when i left last night the cab was bolted down, and they went to get some bolts for the bed, cooper was gonna paint and i think try to reinstall the interior today.

he was talking about the spindle got last night... going to put it on today

got all the wiring done last night.... just have to make sure all the guages work today... but it should be rolling tonight

still need to paint dash and interior and put it all back together
bolt in lights and grill and put mirrors and handles back on... then it should be ready to roll to get tires swapped out and inspected

then whenever it warms back up a little or find a big warm shop ill paint the exterior.

J Cooper
01-19-2005, 01:57 PM
how about the axle, they get it back together? Ugly made it sound like they were going to try to get that done as soon as he got the spindle back over there.

i finished wiring up i was working on at 1 and had class at 8... so no didnt get a chance to put it on last night... ill do it when i get home this afternoon.

J Cooper
01-20-2005, 12:56 AM
well actually did what i said i was gonna do today

lights and grill all put on and all fuctional
bed bolted down
spindle and bearings fixed

backed the ***** out the garage and drove around the block a couple times!!!!

... this is the first time me or eric have ever seen the truck move on its own power... (well eric was busy drinkin at the chicken :flipoff2: ... but i saw it)

35x15.50 bald ass bias ply swampers to not ride good when the vehicle hasnt driven in over a year.

other than that it ran fine.... started back firing a little and sputtering once it warmed up to operating temp though... the guage isnt reading so i think the sensor is bad and the motor is staying in open loop so its flooding out... shouldnt be a problem to fix

so tomorrow.. paint interior and fix a couple other random things..

friday make floor and put interior, dash and doors back together... make sure everything is working that needs to be working

then its just swap tires and get it inspected for now.

sasquatch
01-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Sweet. :gigem:

BMFScout
01-20-2005, 01:56 AM
sweet, sorry i didn't stick around to finish putting in the little vents behind the doors. I did get most of my tailgate chopped up though. In Eric's defense him and his woman left early...:)

stx4wheeler
01-20-2005, 02:27 AM
whooo hhooooo it finally moves under its own power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uglyota
01-20-2005, 09:15 AM
sweet ass!
did you drill the new holes in the pinion flange?

J Cooper
01-20-2005, 12:57 PM
sweet ass!
did you drill the new holes in the pinion flange?

... what do you think? ...i was basically driving around with a bucket and string

not like its ready to go cruise anywhere, still needs alot of work

but it looks like a good day for painting

uglyota
01-20-2005, 01:08 PM
i'd pimp two driveshaft bolts. but I also drove around with floppy u-bolts
let's get that thing in your name friday and work on inspection.
Oh mister charlie
are you ready to pull chicks?
truck problems no more

BMFScout
01-20-2005, 01:11 PM
I love the random haiku thrown in amongst the regular post...:)

Violentv8toy
01-20-2005, 11:19 PM
wow. Much respect for pimpin a 22re. Not that theres anything wrong, but damn theres alot of **** on that engine. I could never put one of them damn things together.

Tilloda
01-21-2005, 12:33 PM
22re is the way to roll.

agjohn02
01-21-2005, 01:25 PM
22re is the way to roll.

hey, your sig changed. didnt it used to say something about a 4runner that owns your @$$, now it says always broken... woohoo, 22re. :flipoff2:

J Cooper
01-21-2005, 08:16 PM
heres the paint that im using for the truck.. got interior and dash finished tonight.

got it registered, plates and insurance!!!

motor still being a punta.... need to go mess with timing and vacuums

jwingfield2k
01-21-2005, 08:56 PM
dang dude, i didnt know you were already working on this thing. looks good. i dont know alot about fixing crap, but im willing to learn. let me know if ya want some help on it. I'm a mad spray-painter

Shaggy
01-21-2005, 09:59 PM
he isnt spray-painting it... he is using a gun and doing a better job on it

CRaSHnBuRN
01-22-2005, 07:51 AM
hey coop, want to paint my chevy for me?

BMFScout
01-22-2005, 09:53 AM
he isnt spray-painting it... he is using a gun and doing a better job on it

a spray gun isn't spray painting?

Shaggy
01-22-2005, 10:35 AM
i guess it could be taken that way but i assumed the ment rattle can

J Cooper
01-24-2005, 12:29 AM
yes... i used a "spray" gun... i think i know how to use it... but if you need something painted let me know... i think i might paint erics truck for him

me and eric worked on the truck today after the open house... after messing with timing a little, checking plug gaps and a few other things we had it running pretty smooth, but had a definite miss while driving... so we popped the valve cover and adjusted the valve springs... they were way too tight...

after that it runs great (for a toyota that is :flipoff2: ) ... after driving the jeep today it was a little hard to drive around it a 4 banger... but it definetely drives good... has a little loss of power on the low end, but alot of that has to do with the 3" 40 series flowmaster that is on it... gonna go buy a stock muffler and throw that on... should help out

and i just bought this on ebay today for the stereo

so now i will have the deck and monitor w/inputs for my ipod
2- 4x6 infinities
2- 6x9
1- 8" sub (which can fit a 10" if i wanted to)
250 watt earthquake of san francisco amp w/build in crossover (old school amp.. it actaully puts out 250)
gonna pick up some tweeters for the dash

all this in a cab that is 4x5 feet

going to make floor tomorrow so i can get interior together.. and then try to get tires changed over and inspected on tues.

EDIT: NOT GETTING THE SCREEN... i dont need that ****...

TxCruzr
01-24-2005, 12:34 AM
This has officially turned into a White Trash Pimp My Ride.........awsome :flipoff2:

J Cooper
01-24-2005, 12:46 AM
This has officially turned into a White Trash Pimp My Ride.........awsome :flipoff2:

damn right gonna put in a disco ball, water fountain, and make my interior out of tweeeeeeeeed :flipoff2:

i did just get this too though...

10 tweeters :eek: im not going to put them all in though

AggieMudder
01-24-2005, 12:49 AM
so now i will have the deck and monitor w/inputs for my ipod

How does your iPod hook up to it>

J Cooper
01-24-2005, 12:54 AM
How does your iPod hook up to it>

through the audio jacks in the back of the stereo... this model has like 10 of them back there... and the other end is just a head phone jack

or right into the front of it... has an aux input on front.. its like a double headphone jack wire

eight
01-24-2005, 09:58 AM
I might could take a pair of those tweeters off your hands. Got an audiobahn componet system with burnt out tweeters.

jerryg79
01-24-2005, 10:04 AM
2- 4x6 infinities

I bet those 4x6's are gonna hit hard :gigem:

J Cooper
01-24-2005, 11:11 AM
I might could take a pair of those tweeters off your hands. Got an audiobahn componet system with burnt out tweeters.

aiaight... thats cool

I bet those 4x6's are gonna hit hard :gigem:

damn right... im gonna have to make some boxes for them though.. the doors are cut out for 6x9's

here is there stereo i got instead

uglyota
01-24-2005, 11:37 AM
haha good thing it has a remote...probably be tough to reach the controls in that spacious cab :haha:
or is it for when you're chillin in the bed?

J Cooper
01-24-2005, 11:42 AM
or is it for when you're chillin in the bed? :gigem:

AgDieseler
01-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Hooking the iPod into the stereo ranks as one of the best upgrades ever. You'll never look back.

jerryg79
01-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Hooking the iPod into the stereo ranks as one of the best upgrades ever. You'll never look back.

Umm duh, thats what mirrors are for :flipoff2:

J Cooper
01-24-2005, 11:02 PM
got my dash but back together... just not in the vehicle yet

but i did get my floor done today... just need to seal it tomorrow and then i can put carpet and seats and such back it... made it out of 20 guage and a cinder block :gigem:

sasquatch
01-25-2005, 12:58 AM
Looks pretty clean. Sweet.

J Cooper
01-25-2005, 08:54 PM
took the truck over to sears today and got the new tires changed out... it road like complete ass the whole way there because of the bald ass old bias ply tires... on the way home it was great.... just need to put on dash and get inspected...... ready to roll

Violentv8toy
01-25-2005, 11:02 PM
hows the 22re run? How comfortable are you with it? Would you drive it to caldwell and back?

redcagepatrol
01-25-2005, 11:29 PM
for my first run with my 22re in my old '84, I drove to San Antonio - unfortunatly, it didn't make it back under it's own power...

Violentv8toy
01-25-2005, 11:35 PM
sweet. What happened on the way back? I drove my 22re toy almost to Cheyenne one new years about 2 years ago. Drove back no problems....the passes were a little rough. Hit some snow around Raton....that wasn't fun then almost rolled it on a country road.

redcagepatrol
01-25-2005, 11:42 PM
sweet. What happened on the way back?
well about a mile from my parents house, a heater hose sprung a leak.... head gasket, cracked block...

J Cooper
01-25-2005, 11:54 PM
hows the 22re run? How comfortable are you with it? Would you drive it to caldwell and back?

yeah seems to be running great... i know for a fact that it runs better than the ugly truck :flipoff2: need to change the muffler out on it and adjust the clutch and bleed the breaks and it should run perfect

has about as much power as a stock 22re is gonna get... something i have to get use to.. but i still need to put on dash and get it inspected before i can get it out and drive it

but so far im happy with how its turned out...

my plan is to have it where i can drive where ever i need to go with it... but as of now ive only driven it down harvey and back going about 35 so cant really say ive driven it much

uglyota
01-26-2005, 08:38 AM
yeah seems to be running great... i know for a fact that it starts better than the ugly truck :flipoff2:
that I can agree with
when I first bought my '85, I changed all the fluids and put new tires on and drove across North Carolina (16 hours round trip). Blew the alternator about an hour from home on the return trip and fuel filter the following week, but has been pretty reliable in the 30-40k and 6 years since

stx4wheeler
01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
me thinks the swampers looked more pimp, with the primer outside. i think you should put them back on coop, who cares about the ride i thought this thing was about looks, with all that bling paint in the engine compartment and interior, nah looks good man.

stinger7401
01-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Hell i'd drive it all over and I didn't do much if any of the work on it. As long as it starts up and runs, oil, water and altenator are good there is no reason why you can't drive a vehicle to death. Its like the two trips that I made to colorado and back with a worn out 84, 1 ton chevy. Too many people don't place any faith in their work or their vehicles, just gotta get out there and go.

TxCruzr
01-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Does your jeep have straight body panels in that pic or is that a chop :confused2

uglyota
01-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Too many people don't place any faith in their work or their vehicles, just gotta get out there and go.
however, you can't argue that we have a few who place too much faith in their vehicles...
:D

Fredo
01-26-2005, 04:19 PM
however, you can't argue that we have a few who place too much faith in their vehicles...
:D

My scout is a prime example there. But like Nick said, if it has oil pressure, good temp, the alternator is charging and the rest of the fluids are topped off.....give it hell. I do that everytime my scout leaves Murphy.

Shaggy
01-28-2005, 12:35 PM
yes those are straight body pannels... weird

J Cooper
01-31-2005, 11:03 PM
just got me an sr5 guage cluster w/tach off ebay for $10!!

also got the connectors for the stereo so i dont have to rig it, with a free pair of tweeters for $3

now i have 12 tweeters... so it looks like ill have some extras to sell or have spares for when i blow them up

BMFScout
01-31-2005, 11:31 PM
I wish I had a tach in my truck. I usually just go until the valves float then bang it hard!

uglyota
02-01-2005, 09:37 AM
dangol tellyawhat man slideruptabout 3grand insecondyastart feelindemdangol valvesfloatindensliderupintathirdn leterripOOWHEEtellyawhut!

J Cooper
03-11-2005, 07:00 AM
just an update.. been awhile...

got pretty much everything functional and running the same at all time with out any flaws.... main problem was i could not put gas in my truck because the EFI tank inlet was over too far to the right... so i cut it out and had nick abrase it over a little bit... sealed up fine and saved me from having to find another tank to work...

also here is a pic of how my truck looked weds after the meeting... and the next one is how it looked when i got up at 7 am thurs... needs a little armorall, vacuum and install stereo stuff and its pretty much done except for paint, brakes and a few seals... all which might be taken care of by monday... to go get it inspected... which it did pass... thanks john.

after meeting pic (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/Toyota-Hilux/DSCF0064) ]before meeting[/URL]

after meeting pic (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/Toyota-Hilux/DSCF0064)

now it has insurance, plates, registration and inspection..... first time ive had a legal vehicle in 4 years... yelll yeah...... now im ready to drive it home for spring break

J Cooper
03-11-2005, 07:16 AM
and yeah so tonight eric comes over to help me out with some last minute stuff before i have to leave tomorrow to SA. so we flush the radiator... for like an hour... making sure to get it nice and clear... and change oil and check over a bunch of little stuff just to make sure its ok for its mainden voyage...
and we decide "hey you have this really bad oil leak... **** it... lets just fix it now"... so after basically having to break into Advance right at 9 so we can geting the timing chain cover seal kit.. we get to the house and start tearing it down.. pulled and flushed radiator and motor, valve cover, PS, AC, water pump, oil pump, timing change cover, replaced guide, oil pan, and took off and cleaned oil pick up... cleaned all that up and replaced all the seals and gaskets... started at about 7:30 working... 10:00 on the seals.. and finished up with everything at 5:30. but its done and it works like a toyota boys dream. gonna get up at nine and start packing up all my stuff i need.

heres some pics of tonight.....

pics (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/Toyota-Hilux?page=20)

Thank you eric, travis, and sunshine for all the help tonight... took a little longer than expected, but we got a **** load done tonight and i feel like i have a real truck finally.....

uglyota
03-11-2005, 12:08 PM
should seal it up nice, and not leak like those damn jeeps anymore ;)

J Cooper
03-11-2005, 01:48 PM
after going to bed at 6:30 got up at nine and finished what was left... and a little extra bling..

....off to the beach (http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/Toyota-Hilux/DSCF0075)

uglyota
03-11-2005, 01:53 PM
looks like when I first dropped it off...except it had paint and bigger tires then
motor needed a little work...

J Cooper
03-11-2005, 01:56 PM
............... yep, but its almost ready for paint... and body is straight, and hood isng jacked.... and bigger isnt always better

.... and oh yeah.... everything works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

so yeah its the same.... but only different :flipoff2:

EDIT:
ROUND TWO
http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6044

J Cooper
07-02-2005, 11:05 PM
ok i was gonna wait till i put the exhaust on tues but the cable is out and im really bored. so here it is. ive been working alot but in the morning for the last couple weeks ive been working on a little project. spent about 3 weeks waiting for parts and about 2 weeks just not getting up in time to work. but heres a little teaser of what ive been up to, it turning out alright. ill post the rest of the pics once the members rigs works again.

for a refresher here is some of the history.

truck had 2 motors before these but here is on my watch
UNO
DOS
TRES

J Cooper
07-02-2005, 11:07 PM
couple more.

J Cooper
07-02-2005, 11:10 PM
ill post up the link to the members rigs once its fixed.

and no (sorry mario) this isnt a booty fab job. every thing is brand new. i think the only thing used on it now is the intake. and yes its gonna have a few ponies :flipoff2:

TxCruzr
07-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Looks good. Have you had time to drive it? How well does the radiator cool it in town and on the highway?
Yotas are so much mo fun with a small block :cool:

J Cooper
07-02-2005, 11:20 PM
havent driven it yet... no exhaust, that huggy headers sound pretty good open though... yeeeeeeee ha.

J Cooper
07-02-2005, 11:21 PM
one more pic for now.. check out my sweet brackets.

Cody_91YJ
07-02-2005, 11:39 PM
thats sexay

Sharpe
07-02-2005, 11:45 PM
That doesnt look like the motor I sold you! I think you have a serious motor painting fettish, wanna come do mine? "No bootyfab" my ass, I call booty on the license plate zip ties! I give you egzibit A

StevenAg03
07-03-2005, 12:02 AM
thats a damn pretty motor for a toyota... :flipoff2:

J Cooper
07-03-2005, 12:04 AM
That doesnt look like the motor I sold you! I think you have a serious motor painting fettish, wanna come do mine? "No bootyfab" my ass, I call booty on the license plate zip ties! I give you egzibit A

the only thing i used from what you sold me was the block, everything else i got new, the other stuff was either bad, cracked, didnt work or didnt fit.

and yes those are zip ties.. .eat me :flipoff2:

J Cooper
07-03-2005, 12:08 AM
thats a damn pretty motor for a toyota... :flipoff2:

yeah i know... built the motor ive been wanting, just didnt have the right vehicle to put it in... the toyota is just "holding it" for a later date.

william_ace
07-03-2005, 01:32 AM
did you use his short block? or just the block, coop?

J Cooper
07-03-2005, 07:34 AM
what?

Shaggy
07-03-2005, 09:00 AM
i think he was asking if u used his for core or is it his old block