PDA

View Full Version : retreads

Seth
02-28-2006, 11:01 PM
any tried them? heard anything good or bad about them?

click me (http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html)

eight
02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
I think by the time you pay shipping you could just buy a cheap new tire. Automotive tire carcasses aren't designed to be recapped, by the time the rubber is bad the carcass is about dead too. And I don't think they're legal for use on the front.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-28-2006, 11:52 PM
My experience has been that you wont get a good tire unless it is a heavy duty pick-up tire or bigger. Swampers and such (40" +) take good, but 235's and the like are no bueno. And yes, you better not get caught with them on a steer axle on the highway.

stx4wheeler
03-01-2006, 01:03 AM
i've heard that some people on fullsizebronco ran them on front and rear and only got like 20 or so k out of them,wait and find some used tires, or spring for new ones, to be on the safe side, it seems like a bad idea to me.

Shaggy
03-01-2006, 05:00 PM
retreads suck... we tried them out at our company(on the 18 wheelers) they dont last very long at all and cannot go on a steering axle... they separate way before the tread is worn down... more expensive in the long run

bburris
03-01-2006, 11:13 PM
You guys are thinking of big rig retreads. Different animal - it even says on that website that you need to run those on all four wheels, even the steering ones. If you click on that link you'll see retreads that look like Dunlop Mud Rovers. One of the 4x4 mags did a long-term test of those exact tires from Hi-Tec of the 35" variety and gave it a pretty good review.

With that said, I still don't think I would run them unless it was my only option. You can find a used set of tires somewhere in Texas fairly easily by looking around on Pirate or one of hte localized Texas club boards.

fbronco86
03-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Tires and brakes are the worst thing to cheap out on in my opinion.

Seth
03-02-2006, 12:15 AM
When they say they must be run on all 4 tires they are talkin about the diamond stuff which is a traction aid meant for snow ice. I am curious about tread life, noise, and whether the carcasses were even meant for recaps in the first place. They have a two year 24 k warranty and they go into detail about how the tires they pick specifically are stored properly etc. Seeing the amount of tires I have at work has really given me a new POV on tires, and I still lean the same way pretty much on tires.

Doug Krebs
03-02-2006, 12:17 AM
what size tire are you looking for?

Seth
03-02-2006, 12:19 AM
35 or 37 on 15" rim - 12.50 or less width - radial tires unless they are crazy cheap. I am looking into ryans - but if you have more....also - want to help make a trac bar mount? didnt you make austins?

fbronco86
03-02-2006, 08:23 AM
35 or 37 on 15" rim - 12.50 or less width - radial tires unless they are crazy cheap. I am looking into ryans - but if you have more....also - want to help make a trac bar mount? didnt you make austins?

Some keystone light, Krebs, and I made austins trac bar mount.

jerryg79
03-02-2006, 08:56 AM
You guys are thinking of big rig retreads. Different animal -.

Yes this is what I was thinking too.

Seth
03-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Some keystone light, Krebs, and I made austins trac bar mount.

wanna do it again?

Doug Krebs
03-02-2006, 10:16 AM
From what I remember it was pretty nasty. It was the weekend we moved out of our house and it was finished at 3:00am I think. IT NO MATTER!

It was either a thick piece of channel or box tubing welded to the frame and another piece welded somewhere as a brace. His original one broke when he veered into a ditch after a party in BFE.

Edit: Mike I don't think it was keystone, as Austins' dad bought us the beer. I think it was coors light :gigem: