PDA

View Full Version : Warn Hubs

JeepPhisherman
03-16-2006, 03:15 PM
I've heard/read a couple of times that warn's standard hubs hold up better than the premium hubs. Any substance to this?

There's not a whole lot of price difference, but if I can save $20 and get a stronger hub to boot, I'll be happy.

Fredo
03-16-2006, 03:28 PM
i've never had a problem with my warn premiums....I've snapped two stub shafts and both hubs survived....and I know Jimmy has never broken his premiums either and he's snapped a couple of inner shafts. We're both running locked 44's with 35" tires.

Doug Krebs
03-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I think the only difference is the spring and the cap. The premiums have a metal dial and they have the "wave" spring technology.

I believe the regular spring holds up better, as the wave spring is flimsy and can get gunked up easier.

So buy the cheaper ones

BMFScout
03-16-2006, 03:40 PM
the key with any of them is keeping the bolts tight that hold the hub on.

CheapJeep
03-16-2006, 05:23 PM
I have both. The premiums are on right now and I have the regulars as spares, but they are a little different from what I can tell aside from the dial and spring.

JeepPhisherman
03-16-2006, 05:42 PM
I think the only difference is the spring and the cap. The premiums have a metal dial and they have the "wave" spring technology.

I believe the regular spring holds up better, as the wave spring is flimsy and can get gunked up easier.

So buy the cheaper ones

This is what I've heard and that the only reason the premiums are better is that it requires almost a full turn to lock them.

guess im about to order the standard hubs, unless anyone has the premiums for less than $74

JeepPhisherman
03-16-2006, 06:00 PM
under premium hubs on the warn site, it says that all hubs are protected under a lifetime warranty, but it says nothing about that under the standard hubs.

standard hubs protected under a lifetime warranty too? just making sure before i click buy

JeepPhisherman
03-16-2006, 06:19 PM
called warn, they are covered, and i found them on ebay new for $60, go me! :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
03-16-2006, 06:51 PM
I have both. The premiums are on right now and I have the regulars as spares, but they are a little different from what I can tell aside from the dial and spring.

I believe david oliver did the research as many people on pirate. The part numbers are the same I believe.

JeepPhisherman
03-16-2006, 06:54 PM
I believe david oliver did the research as many people on pirate. The part numbers are the same I believe.

?
part #s are different between the premiums and standard

Shaggy
03-16-2006, 07:02 PM
you looking for dana44 hubs... i have a set from the bronco somewhere if you maby want them

Doug Krebs
03-16-2006, 07:03 PM
?
part #s are different between the premiums and standard

for the internal part of the hub, the part that actually engages the splines. Sorry should have mentioned that.

JeepPhisherman
03-16-2006, 07:07 PM
you looking for dana44 hubs... i have a set from the bronco somewhere if you maby want them

yea, i might could use them as spares, but i just ordered some from ebay

CheapJeep
03-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah, because I had installed the regular ones and when the premiums came in I thought they were the same too, but they have different hex bolt sizes/offset so you can't make the two work.

Doug Krebs
03-16-2006, 07:22 PM
hex bolt? wtf are you talking about? we are talking about a dana 44 hub here, not those external hubs, right? Do you possibly mean a socket head cap screw/allen head?

CheapJeep
03-16-2006, 07:30 PM
My bad guru of hardware, allen head bolt/screw.