PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Trip 10-19-02

redcagepatrol
10-07-2002, 10:09 PM
It is that time again - the SA trip to Cibolo Creek.

Time: 7:00am 10-19-02

Meeting place: McDonalds on University

What: Drive to SA and wheel during day. Might have "get together" that night but everybody needs to find thier own place to sleep.
This is mostly rockcrawling with some mud if it's still there. I have not seen the creek since the flood and it changes drastically after every flood. We will split into two groups depending on the number of people coming down.

I need help. - I have to be in SA friday night to scope out the terrain since the flood and need a leader to lead the group from McDonalds to me at Cibolo Creek. Must have cell phone. Any takers?

edit: Help is found. Matt Marek will lead the group down from McDonalds. BE GASED UP and ready to leave at 7:00 am. Matt and his wife will be in a Black Powerstroke pulling his red Toyota

redcagepatrol
10-07-2002, 10:13 PM
The 2001 Cibolo Creek Trip
A trip to remember
By: Scott Schubring

Some Background:
The last TAMOR trip in 2000 to San Antonio was at Cibolo Creek, but it was way too muddy to do anything, and we ended up playing in one little area. The cops talked to us two separate times at two different places. We went to a toga party later that night that ended up with people getting thrown into pools, and people trying to break keg stand records. The TAMOR trip before that in 1999 to Devils Den was also very exciting. That is when Greg Higgs rolled his Jeep end over end putting him and his passenger in the hospital. Needless to say, something very exciting always seems to happen in San Antonio.

The trip:
We all met up at the McDonalds in College Station at 7:00am and headed down to San Antonio. There weren’t too many trucks there (around 10), which was good for me since I was leading the trip and had to control everyone. The trip down there was uneventful and went very smooth. After unloading trailers and airing down, we dropped into the creek and met up with around ten more people. It turned out to be a very good group with a mix of all types of trucks including huge full sizes to almost stock Jeeps.

Cibolo Creek is a good mix of mud and rocks. There is a creek bottom that is a series of crevices and ledges, a few mud pits, some challenging hill climbs, and some deep water. The rocks are where we stayed the most and are my favorite of course. Most of the people there had never seen any form of rock crawling, much less done it themselves. I took a few lines that almost amazed myself. I ended up putting a dent in my driverside truck bed (from a rock wall), pushed my cage into the body on the driver side, and broke the other rod end on my rear anti-wrap bar. Lissa had some good rocker panel damage to her driver side after getting momentarily hung up in a very sticky situation. Jason Hensel also received some rocker panel damage on both sides. There’s more, Greg Higgs put a good dent in his passenger side rocker panel trying to follow a line my Toy went through. The final damage was Josh’s broken drive shaft. Apparently he tapped it on a rock, which then caused the drive shaft to tear in two after the application of a little power. The moral of this trip at Cibolo Creek is “God forgives, Rocks don’t.”

We decided to head to my parents house and get a phone book to try and get Josh’s drive shaft fixed before it was too late. Well there was nothing open on Saturday, and we all decided to go “check out” the place that Greg had rolled two years earlier. We took my Toyota, Greg’s Jeep, Lynda’s Jeep, and Jason’s Cherokee out there. After looking at the hill that Greg had rolled on, I tried to traverse this “V” crevasse that went up about two stories. It is pretty wicked soft dirt type terrain and can be very challenging. I made it a little ways, got stuck by sliding into the “V”, got pulled back a little, got back to straddling the notch and continued up the crevasse. I got to a point where I had to get on it in second gear and ended up on the side of the “V”. I continued to try to go up, but some brake fluid leaded onto my exhaust and started a small fire. After ripping my fire extinguisher off the wall and getting the fire put out, I tried even more. This time I gave up because my front left tire had to be SIX feet off the ground, and it almost went over twice. Keep in mind; I was already lying on my side.

Now it was time for the rescue. Greg attempted to come up a “V” crevasse that was next to me so he could get to the top and keep my front end on the ground. In this process, he too fell into the crack but ended up driving on his side to very close to the top. His truck started smoking very bad to the point that nobody could see anything. We killed the engine and tried the winch. At this point, both of his driver side tires are off the ground, and he has no engine power. The steering wheel was locked, the key wouldn’t turn, and the winch wouldn’t pull it up with out engine power. We decided to go back to my truck and concentrate on getting it up. I wouldn’t start either.

In the middle of getting both of our trucks stuck on their sides, the local homeowner a**hole called the cops on us. He said that we were invading his privacy. All of the other neighbors thought he was crazy and offered the trees in their yards to winch to, and just loved the entertainment.

Lets recap. Two trucks on their side, neither one running. We could see one cop car, one ambulance, and two fire trucks coming towards us on the other side of the lake. We were scared and wanted to get the hell out of there FAST.

We got Lynda to the top the long way, and hooked a series of three straps over my truck and the valley it was in all the way to Greg’s Jeep to pull it back down to the ground and hopefully get it started. It worked! After quickly rearranging Lynda’s position to the other side of Greg’s Jeep, we got Greg’s still smoking Jeep out. As we were checking out Greg’s Jeep, Lynda went to try and pull me out (I was dead weight). That didn’t work until we did a tandem pull with Greg’s Jeep. Once my truck hit level ground, it started right up. We all picked up our crap and hauled butt out of there in some gap between two houses and actually didn’t get caught. We parked Greg’s smoking Jeep in a nearby Albertson’s parking lot and came back and got it later.

We were very lucky, and all had a blast. I have never been on my side and lifted both front tires so high in the sky before. It was a huge rush, and folks – don’t try this at home.

Scott

Lynda
10-17-2002, 08:28 PM
Howdy Guys and Gals,
The San Antonio Off-Road trip is this weekend and expect rain (this should make it interesting). Expect mud, sand, rocks, and to get pulled over once by the cops (we always do, no big deal, just a shocker to see so many off-road trucks in one place…. want to make sure we aren’t doing anything illegal). Scott, Ryan, and I will be leaving Friday. The rest of the group will be meeting at McDonalds on University at 7:00 in the morning. Matt Merek (red Toyota) will be leading the group at 7:15 sharp (he means it). If you want breakfast get there before 7:00. Be gassed up and ready to go (that means top off your tank on Friday). They will be making one side stop to pick up Chris Feller at 290 and Highway 21 (this is not a potty break). {Chris – Matt will call you before he reaches the meeting point so that you can be ready to go when he gets there.)
If for any reason you sleep in and miss the caravan, here are some numbers to call for directions, questions, and anything else you might think of before or during the trip:

Mathew Merek (979)575-3644
Ryan Busa (979)820-0110
Scott Schubring (713)829-2972
Lynda Bilodeau (832)814-9047 (call boys first)

So you know who is accompanying you on this trip, the most recent driver list I have is as follows:

Brady Buegeler
Justin Cooper
Chris Matual
Robert Massingill
Matt Conlee
Chris Feller
Matt Merek
Josh Alley
Suzie Looman
Ryan Busa
Lynda Bilodeau
Ryan Kopecki
Josh Bernstein
Little Troy
Mark Shipman*
Greg Higgs*

This will probably be a large group so I want to add in some very important notes. Our club promotes TREAD LIGHTLY. Several of us will have our stickers from previous trips or may even have the round stickers on our truck. We are representing TAMOR and A&M and it is important that we have no hooligans J giving the club a bad name. Off-Roaders are not fondly looked upon as it is and we would like to change that. It is a hobby and a sport for most of us and we would like to keep the club in good standing with the community and the university. All safety procedure must be followed while on the playground regardless of whether or not there is an officer around. Remember to play nice and have fun. Bring your basic essentials for accidents such as water, u-joints, berfields (hehe), raincoat, basic tools (socket set, hammer, bigger hammer, sledge…). You will have the option, obviously, of staying in San Antonio that night and partying with us (make sure you have a place to stay the night), or going home Saturday after the fun. I think this covers most everything. Anymore questions just dial the above. Its going to be a blast. Hope to see everyone there.
Lynda Bilodeau
Texas A&M Off-Road Safety Officer
’95 Green Jeep Wrangler (George)

aggie06stud
10-17-2002, 08:57 PM
hey guys. i feel really stupid asking this since i've lived in san anton all my life, but how exactly do i get to cibolo creek? i know it runs through boerne so it's pretty long. i'm going back friday so i won't be with y'all when you roll in, and i just need to figure out where to meet you guys. thanks

-josh

Lynda
10-18-2002, 05:13 PM
You'll have to call one of the guys. Either tonight or Tomorrow morning around 9:30 - 10:00

Chadnutz
10-18-2002, 05:20 PM
Driving down I-35 you pass through Schertz and Selma. You cross a bridge right next to Retama Park and that is Cibilo Creek. In order to get down to that area you will have to use one of two routes.

The first is to pass it going South and then turn around and head north on the access road. Turn right just after the bridge. Then drive down that road until you find a dirt path on the right to get down into the creek area.

The second is a bit more complicated. You would need to drive north on Pat Booker road and turn left right after the first gas station on the left just outside of 1604. Drive through that neighborhood a little ways. Then turn left when the road splits. Stay to the left and you will see a narrow and slightly paved road descending down into the creek area.

Correct me if I am wrong.

redcagepatrol
10-18-2002, 11:37 PM
we will meet under I-35 at the park-n-ride at Cibolo Creek. Take the FM 1516 exit right past the Retama horse track.

aggie06stud
10-19-2002, 12:05 AM
thank y'all for your help, luckily i know where all of those roads and places are, and i'll be able to meet up with y'all. have a safe trip coming down.

-josh b

redcagepatrol
10-21-2002, 07:37 AM
The trip was wet but went great, will get pics up ASAP. Lynda has film that needs to be developed and scanned in. Nobody broke anything important other than things like taillights.

We had a bad ass Z71 out there tearing it up - no cares at all...

Tariqui
10-21-2002, 05:50 PM
i broke part of my exo-cage and yes Z-71 in the house!!!!

Quote of the day: "2nd gear full throttle" - Busa

Broncocustom
10-21-2002, 07:22 PM
I thought he said he was in 3rd. That was the best I have ever seen a Z71 perform. It went over the obstacles with such elegance.

aggie06stud
10-21-2002, 07:37 PM
if the pictures taken could only do them justice...you had to be there see their aww.

JB
10-23-2002, 12:10 AM
so where are the pics?

aggie06stud
10-23-2002, 12:27 AM
my scanner went total FUBAR on me last week. know anyone who could upload them?

bburris
10-23-2002, 07:43 AM
you can do it in the SCC

BigRedFord04
10-23-2002, 11:00 AM
bring 'em to the meeting, i'll do it