PDA

View Full Version : worked on the FJ

mudtoy67
04-26-2006, 01:04 AM
well, drew on it anyway :flipoff2:

Been thinking when I get to working on it again I'm wanting to do something cool. So my preliminary idea for a while has been to bob the rear and make a half cab out of it. Then have only a small section of cage behind that, leaving the rear axle kind of out in the open. I saw an FJ like this a couple years ago in Peterson's, only the cage on that one came farther back, but that is what got me thinking about this style.

Specs:
Stretched wheelbase somewhere between 105 and 110
double triangulated four link rear with 1/4 eliptical springs
front suspension still stock springs w/ spring over
36 or 38 inch tires

I spent valuable time in Quality Control class to draw this :gigem:

uglyota
04-26-2006, 09:00 AM
I like the sticker...
you know you'll have to spend some money to do that, right? :flipoff2:

TxCruzr
04-27-2006, 09:29 AM
First off the tires are not drawn to scale. And second....I'm betting that piece of paper is the closest your going to get to your cruiser in say, 5 years :flipoff2:
You need to check out my small collection of cruiser drawings if your needing ideas. I've spent countless hours in o-chem designing them :D

davido
04-27-2006, 10:58 AM
That would be sweet.... but I'd rather have you on the trips than in the garage/funding phase for another 3+ years. Just get it back on the trail. Mine is far from perfect, but it doesn't keep me from trying to drive the wheels off.

Renegade
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
I see one major flaw in this design that makes it impossible to even consider!
Where the F**K are you going to put the cooler?!?!

BMFScout
04-27-2006, 12:34 PM
I see one major flaw in this design that makes it impossible to even consider!
Where the F**K are you going to put the cooler?!?!

You obviously don't know my friend BDR very well!! :beer: ;)

mudtoy67
04-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I did remember the cooler, just didn't draw it in :) It would go on a rack above the fuel cell in the rear. It might stick out of the cage a little, but that's no big deal.

I would also try to make some sort of tool box under the passenger seat where the factory fuel tank went.

I'm hoping to actually start working on this thing after the honeymoon. I still won't really have much money to put into it, but I figure I can start doing some serious measuring and get some designs drawn up on paper or in CAD. Then I'll pull the body off the frame and start cleaning the frame up. I figure all the cleanup stuff like grinding disks and torch fuel and borrowing someone's welder wouldn't cost much, and should keep me busy for a while.