PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Front Axle

Chadnutz
10-10-2002, 02:05 PM
I know I am going to catch **** for changing my mind again, but here it goes....

I found a Toyota front axle on Ebay. It looks like it may be out of a landcruiser. Can any Toyota fan here identify it for me. No one
has bid on it yet, and it has a reserve....

Link the the auction. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1866329690)

I have the money for it. I am serious this time. I can get the damn thing on my truck cause I have over $1000 saved up, 0 credit card debt, and I am earning almost $400 in play money each month. I'm not making any promises, but I think I am more likely to have a chance now than I have ever been. A Toyota swap will be my easiet route since I can keep my same wheels. Please let me know asap so I can make a bid. I have less than 2 days left.

bigFAWKINranger
10-10-2002, 10:48 PM
go for it. don't be a puss and wait for the obligitory TAMOR flamings that are surely on their way... bid $200 on that biatch and sit back... that leaves you a CHITLOAD of SAS money... you can have it done before thanksgiving.... better hurry though bc i'm lacking only ONE more item before i am ready.... the steering box..... see you on the trail ****boy:D

Cajun
10-11-2002, 07:05 AM
Here's another one for your consideration...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87257

Chadnutz
10-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Some bitch is trying to beat me to the Ebay axle. I'd rather have it since it is off of a landcruiser, but at least I have another to fall back on. Thanks Andy.

redcagepatrol
10-11-2002, 03:08 PM
that axle is off an old FJ. It sucks, don't get it. The drop is on the offosite side of Toyota pickups and they are much weaker than the mini-truck axles.

Chadnutz
10-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Are you smoking crack Toyota boy? Look at the damn thing closer. Look at the picture that shows the front of the axle. It is normal. Then the guy just flipped it over and then it looks like it is driver's side drop. Look more carefully at the steering arms. They are on the top in the first picture I mentioned (like Toyota trucks), and on the bottom in the second. Then look at the one where the axle is upside down. You can see the little drain plug ridge on the top, whereas it should be on the bottom. It looks like a High pinion Landcruiser axle to me.

Now respond to this post and tell me I'm right before I get us both drug tests.

SMACK TOYOTA BOY.

redcagepatrol
10-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Nutzz,

I HAVE A LANDCRUISER AXLE ON MY TRUCK

I know what they look like. First of all, the good landcruiser axles have coil springs. Second, they have steering BEHIND the axle, UNDER the high pinion third member. The steering arms come off the BOTTOM of the axle.

Wake up Nutzzz, its a landcruiser axle, just a damn old one. I sold one of those to Brian Ritchey for next to nothing.

Chadnutz
10-11-2002, 05:36 PM
I offered the Ft. Worth guy $200. He is asking $275 and seems pretty desperate. He's pushed the adv. to the top twice today.

davido
10-15-2002, 12:15 AM
Are those vented rotors?

(not that it matters now)

~dso

Chadnutz
10-15-2002, 05:30 PM
Are you talking about the Ebay axle? Landcruisers have vented rotors. I don't know about FJ40s. I think Scott lied to me about the axle and won the bid himself..

I'm getting this axle in Ft. Worth for $240.

That really blows seeing as how I paid $50 for the first one. I was broke then so my options were limited.

davido
10-15-2002, 05:38 PM
Landcruisers have vented rotors. I don't know about FJ40s.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret....

FJ40 = Landcruiser

Not all LANDCRUISERS came with vented rotors.

~dso

Chadnutz
10-15-2002, 05:45 PM
OK, but you know what I meant.

redcagepatrol
10-15-2002, 07:52 PM
A few other things about the FJ-80 Landcruiser axles (the good ones) They do not have locking hubs, and the driveshaft flange is round like all late model trucks. They are also high pinion, the one on ebay was a regular rotation third member. (I looked close)

The one on ebay was either a late model FJ-44 (Landcruiser) axle or an FJ-60 (Landcruiser) axle.

One more thing, IF that was a good axle (FJ-80), I would have bid on it.

Chadnutz
10-15-2002, 07:55 PM
I know where one is for $400 and its about 4 hours from here. :(

redcagepatrol
10-15-2002, 07:58 PM
an FJ-80 axle?

Chadnutz
10-15-2002, 07:59 PM
One out of a 4 door land cruiser.

redcagepatrol
10-15-2002, 09:22 PM
here is my FJ-80 axle with the steering flipped around, upgraded tie rod, leaf spring perches, and added hubs

Chadnutz
10-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Didn't work.

redcagepatrol
10-15-2002, 09:24 PM
damn, forgot the axle

Chadnutz
10-15-2002, 09:26 PM
Ok. I am talking about an FJ60 axle that I knew of. I saw an FJ80 once in a junkyard in SA. Who knows if it is still there. I'll call tomorrow. What gears did they come with?

Your pic didn't work.

redcagepatrol
10-15-2002, 09:37 PM
I saw an FJ-80 in SA also, I think they wanted like $500 or so for the axle when I asked them. If I have time (which I know I won't) I will check this weekend, I need spare shafts. They typically came with 4:11 gears I think.

The pic works for me, just forgot it in the first post.

Chadnutz
10-16-2002, 09:05 AM
It is Brother's Foreign and they want $1500 for the sumbitch. You can buy them at cruiserparts.net for 800 (no locker or ABS) or 1200 (with locker and abs). The axle they have has been there for over 2 years now, and I know it has a cracked right rotor due to the collision. I'm going to tell him that one of my friends was quoted $500 for it and that's all I will give. I don't need it and I could buy a High Pinion with 4.88s and a detroit and still have money left over for 2 super birfields for the cost of the axle alone.
In which case I would be better off with the pick up axle.

How much did you pay for yours?

robertf03
10-16-2002, 09:22 AM
why piss your money away on hard to find shiat when grand wagoneer 44's are everywhere?

Chadnutz
10-16-2002, 10:04 AM
If I want to get this done by the end of Christmas break or so I have to have an axle with 4.10s and 6 lugs. That way I don't have to spend my money on new wheels/gears. Toyota "shiat" happens to privide all of that. If I could get that FJ80 axle it may be locked in which case I would be saving the cost of a locker. I won't spend more than $500 for it. I have an axle to pick up this weekend for $240. I am not sure it is even worth offering $500 on something they want $1500 for though. He has some Junkyard Jew Book that displays prices on stuff. He says it lists in the book for $2000. You can buy them on the internet for $1200 all day long locked and with ABS. He doesn't even know that they come with lockers I bet, so he'd sell and unlocked one for the same price as a locked one. It has been there for at least 2 years and will be there a lot longer if he doesn't (HAHAHA a mouse just passed through the door on his way to my trap at work) change his price.

Chadnutz
10-16-2002, 07:15 PM
Does Allpro Hy-Steer work on it or is it all kustom?

redcagepatrol
10-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Nutzz, the Grand Waganeers are 6 lug.

The FJ-80 I saw in SA was the complete truck and the front was still intack (not a front wreck) at a yard off the right side of 1604 going towards 37 from my house.

Only one company makes high steer arms for these axles and they are very expensive requiring the nuckles to be sent in for machine work, so it is basically all custom. I know the guy who bought the first ones, here is the pic.

Chadnutz
10-17-2002, 06:47 AM
How do you lessen the angle of the drag link then?