PDA

View Full Version : A friends Jeep

DRAGOONRANCH
05-05-2006, 07:11 AM
I know, I know, no one should let their friends drive Jeeps, but he bought it without consulting me. He will probably build it up for a mud/mall crawler type set up, but I am trying to steer him in the right direction. He is from the Montgomery area, and has been to Alto a few times. He works here with me, and will be home about the same time in June. Here are a few pictures of the Jeep.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/DRAGOONRANCH/Jasons%20Jeep/JasonsJeep2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/DRAGOONRANCH/Jasons%20Jeep/JasonsJeep.jpg

He plans on a 6 inch lift and 35's on it. I have told him he needs to go onetons if he wants to go to 38's like he has hinted about. Let me know where yall think he needs to go on this one. This will not be a daily driver, just a weekend cruiser and mud/maybe trail vehicle. I am trying to steer him from the dark side, but the Force is strong in this one. :flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
05-05-2006, 09:52 AM
ahh, jeeps are all right, w/ a jeep you could get away w/ 3/4 ton stuff w/ 38's

eight
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
no you cant

DRAGOONRANCH
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Knowing this guy, he will try to run the hell out of it in the mud pits and would probably do better with the big stuff. If he is going to spend the money, he ought to do it right. He is a bit of a joo when it comes to doing things, but it is his dough so I don't give him much crap about it. He said the Jeep has 115k on it, but only about 30k of it driving, the rest was being towed behind the PO's Motorhome. The interior has been redone, and the body looks pretty clean. He said there is some minor mechanic work needed on the engine (leaking seal somewhere) but he is not positive. He has owned this jeep for 6 months now, and hasn't even seen it in person. I am going to try to talk him into wheeling with us before he does anything to drastic. He will get a much better idea on what is needed.

eight
05-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Yea do that. If he's not gonna be around much it'd be quick and easy to put a 4" lift, 33s, lockers, and gears in it and it'd be a great wheeler. Seems lots of people now think they really have to build vehicles to have fun.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-05-2006, 01:44 PM
He will probably heed that advice, but go with a 6" and 35's. I think he is going to take it to texas truck works for the lift. I have never welded a rear end, maybe this would be good experience for me. Tee Hee Hee-Snicker snicker :D

eight
05-05-2006, 01:58 PM
I don't see a 2 piece shaft sticking out so a welded rear will probably work fine with 35s.

sasquatch
05-05-2006, 02:21 PM
i was about to comment on that

Shaggy
05-05-2006, 02:52 PM
how did it get miles when in tow... did they not take the driveshaft off... or do those things have the odometer ring in the axle

J Cooper
05-05-2006, 02:56 PM
ya tell him to take the damn driveshaft off.. tahts alot of towing miles on a t-case thats not suppost to be towed with a driveshaft on.

my jeep is just a 4" procomp sprung under with longer shackles and TJ flares= 2" with 35s and i have no desire to make it any bigger.

eight
05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
My manual says you can tow with it on.

tigweld
05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
do you really think the people that can afford to have big motor homes and jeeps that only go out with the motorhome are goin to get under a jeep and get dirty takin' the d-shaft out. You would be suprised how common that scinario is, I've even looked at one before. usually they are immaculately clean vehicles.

J Cooper
05-05-2006, 03:18 PM
well **** i dont know thats just what ive always been told about the 300, mine was towed behind a mobil home for 9 years for about 8 months out of the year. and always had the d-shaft disconnected.

but it had this neat little lever under the seat that disconnected it for you

isnt there something to do with the oiling properties in the case that ****s them up?

BMFScout
05-05-2006, 03:30 PM
yeah you probably should, but I think Ryan is saying most people with motorhomes with jeeps painted to match could give a rats ass about it.

J Cooper
05-05-2006, 03:41 PM
... most people with motorhomes with jeeps painted to match could give a rats ass about it.

my jeep was painted to match a motorhome :flipoff2:

agjohn02
05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
well **** i dont know thats just what ive always been told about the 300, mine was towed behind a mobil home for 9 years for about 8 months out of the year. and always had the d-shaft disconnected.

but it had this neat little lever under the seat that disconnected it for you

isnt there something to do with the oiling properties in the case that ****s them up?

300's are oil slingers. all the same stuff spins while in neutral, the dogs just arent engaged.

BMFScout
05-05-2006, 04:33 PM
my jeep was painted to match a motorhome :flipoff2:

It sounds like your Grandpa, much like mine, didn't really fall under "most people"

robertf03
05-05-2006, 05:49 PM
sell it, buy a pos jeep and taint it up

mark
05-05-2006, 05:55 PM
300's are oil slingers. all the same stuff spins while in neutral, the dogs just arent engaged.

Nope, note quite right. When the input shaft spins, it will lubricate. But with only the rear output spinning it won't lubricate fully. You can weld tabs to one of the output gears to get it to sling enough oil but without that, you will eventually fry the 300. Towing is limited to 300 miles. Beyond that you have to start the CJ and run the tranny in gear with the t-case in neutural for a few minutes every 300 miles. Or disconnect the rear driveshaft.

agjohn02
05-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Nope, note quite right. When the input shaft spins, it will lubricate. But with only the rear output spinning it won't lubricate fully. You can weld tabs to one of the output gears to get it to sling enough oil but without that, you will eventually fry the 300. Towing is limited to 300 miles. Beyond that you have to start the CJ and run the tranny in gear with the t-case in neutural for a few minutes every 300 miles. Or disconnect the rear driveshaft.

actually its 200 miles. i looked it up in my jeep book after i posted that. i dont completely understand why the input has to spin to lubricate. i had mine apart last year and didnt see anything that would indicate that, but then i wasnt too worried about it since i dont flat tow.

AggieTJ2007
05-05-2006, 06:44 PM
well I just had mine apart, I think it is because the input gear drives the idler shaft and w/ it in neutral it doesnt spin the idler shaft therefore not fully lubing everything.

agjohn02
05-05-2006, 06:47 PM
doesnt the idler spin when in neutral?

so just leave the engine idling, trans in gear, x-fer in neutral whilst you tow

edit: i just remembered how they work, the dogs are between the input/output and the idler. when towing in neutral you're just spinning the rear output shaft.

eight
05-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Yea mine says to run it every 200 miles, but it also says to leave it in gear and put the sr4 in neutral.

agjohn02
05-05-2006, 06:53 PM
from what i read the d20 should be in gear and trans in neutral. the d300 should be in neutral with the trans in gear.