PDA

View Full Version : My 1st heep

Moose
05-13-2006, 09:12 AM
I traded my 1999 F-150 5.4L Auto (of which the radio, rear tail lights, horns, air condition was dying on me. I was getting 11 miles to the gallon - city) for this 4 cylinder, 6 speed manual tranny SE. 1st ever jeep. As basic as you can buy them. Only option included was A/C and full metal doors. I've loved this body style since i was admitted into A&M back in the summer of '99. And since they were modifying the jeep for '07 and loosing the 4 banger, I got a great deal.

I still have my bronco to tow anything (which has the b&m tranny cooler w/electric fan attached. that C6 gets hot).

Any reccomended web sites for jeeps, parts, specifications? All I know is it has the rear 30 and front 35? I don't even know how to take the top off.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Congrats :beer:

eight
05-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Its a 30 front and 35 rear. If you want to use it as an economy cruiser just leave it as is. If you want a little more offroad ability, put some decent all terrains of the stock size on it and a drop in front locker. That way later when you want to really wheel it, you just put low gears in the front axle, and swap the rear for a geared and locked 8.8. Lift it 4" throw on some 35s and you're ready to go.

So you got a mileage report yet?

robertf03
05-13-2006, 10:13 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-GTO-LS2-LS1-LS6-engine-w-6-speed-trans-4K-MILES-NR_W0QQitemZ8065586351QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

agjohn02
05-13-2006, 12:45 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-GTO-LS2-LS1-LS6-engine-w-6-speed-trans-4K-MILES-NR_W0QQitemZ8065586351QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

i think it'll be tough to find an adapter for that

AggieTJ2007
05-13-2006, 01:37 PM
you can try

JeepsOffRoad.com
JeepsUnlimited.com
JeepForum.com

All of those are pretty good sites w/ lots of little "newbie" mods and where you can ask dumb questions and people will answer instead of flame you

robertf03
05-13-2006, 02:11 PM
i think it'll be tough to find an adapter for that

they used to make them in muncie ;)

Moose
05-13-2006, 04:17 PM
thanks yall

http://www.tamor.org/cgi-bin/readersrides/readers.cgi?action=searchsubmit&searchcategory=Ford&type=standard

holy shneikees. yall still had the picture in the old member's rigs. i kind of miss her. but, w/the 4, i'm actually saving ~$100. it doesn't look that good anymore.

no milleage report yet. at less than half a tank still. i'm gonna miss my friends at the old pump. won't be seeing them as much anymore. thanks for the websites. the next pair of shoes are the 28" TSL's interco makes.

davido
05-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Sounds like you drive on the road a lot. I'd highly recommend BFG ATs or MTs over TSLs of any breed. I love TSLs off-road, but they absolutely blow on the road. I had both on my 4Runner.

Doug Krebs
05-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Sounds like you drive on the road a lot. I'd highly recommend BFG ATs or MTs over TSLs of any breed. I love TSLs off-road, but they absolutely blow on the road. I had both on my 4Runner.

SSR's are pretty good on the road but get now where near the mileage BFG's will and of course the BFG's do ride better.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-15-2006, 09:48 AM
I have a set of Maxxis Big Horn mudders on the dually, and they wear way too fast. Stay away from them. We have had real good luck with the kelley mudgrips. Granpa has run them on his mud hog for a couple of decades. The tire store road hazards them, so this helps alot. They will sling some major mud, and ride real good.

BMFScout
05-15-2006, 10:03 AM
I saw some TSL's on a sod forklift on the back of a 18wheeler on the way to work today. I thought to myself, finally a good use for those turds! ;)

DRAGOONRANCH
05-15-2006, 10:10 AM
http://www.kellytires.com/kellytires/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Safari+DTR+HVT&mrktarea=Light+Truck

Sizes are limited, but its an awesome tire.

AggieTJ2007
05-15-2006, 12:01 PM
why 28's? 31's will fit just fine w/ a lift

jerryg79
05-15-2006, 12:03 PM
I saw some TSL's on a sod forklift on the back of a 18wheeler on the way to work today. I thought to myself, finally a good use for those turds! ;)

those usually run the TSL SX 31X15.50 or whatever that ridicurous size is

agjohn02
05-15-2006, 02:29 PM

this is the best piece of advice you've gotten yet. ive had lots of MT and AT bfg tires and loved them all.

Moose
05-16-2006, 07:51 PM
nah david. i drive ~13 miles one way every day. i'm actually gonna keep it close to stock until it's worth nothing, then take it to the beach. but that's about 100k miles from today. i've never had less than an MT for any vehicle i've driven. plus, going through tires keeps me from getting bored with the vehicle.

tell me something everyone. isn't everyone sick of guessing their speed limit as they pass the black and whites staring at you as you pass them up with your foot on the brake pedal? unless it's not as hard as i thought, fixing the speedo has got to be the hugest downside to oversized tires. or is this blasphemy? i used to not care what milleage i'm was getting. but i just started working for txdot.

Doug Krebs
05-16-2006, 08:19 PM
nah david. i drive ~13 miles one way every day. i'm actually gonna keep it close to stock until it's worth nothing, then take it to the beach. but that's about 100k miles from today. i've never had less than an MT for any vehicle i've driven. plus, going through tires keeps me from getting bored with the vehicle.

tell me something everyone. isn't everyone sick of guessing their speed limit as they pass the black and whites staring at you as you pass them up with your foot on the brake pedal? unless it's not as hard as i thought, fixing the speedo has got to be the hugest downside to oversized tires. or is this blasphemy? i used to not care what milleage i'm was getting. but i just started working for txdot.

Take a GPS with you and figure out your speed compared to your speedometer. I did it on the blazer for years and I just had it memorized...

agjohn02
05-16-2006, 08:36 PM
or go by the tach.

your can supposedly recalibrate the speedo but i hear it involves witchcraft, dead animals and anti-freeze.

Fredo
05-17-2006, 01:23 AM
yeah, changing the speedo drive gear is a real *****...