PDA

View Full Version : Tranny gaskets...

Doug Krebs
05-15-2006, 09:17 AM
So I'm doing the 100,000 mile maintenance on the cavalier before our long road trip which entails changing the tranny fluid and filter. I should have known better than to use the rubber gasket that came with the filter from changing so many raptors out in the blazer. I woke up this morning to a nice size puddle of tranny fluid on the ground this morning.

Guess I'll repeat the process tonight :(

Seth
05-15-2006, 10:09 AM
make sure not to overtighten the pan polts and that they arent overtightened already - if so hammer the pan back flat

Doug Krebs
05-15-2006, 11:18 AM
yeah, i made sure not to overtighten them. The pan is an irregular shape, so I think thats part of the problem.

Fredo
05-15-2006, 11:48 AM
i ****ing hate automatic tranny pans. I love how it took them somewhere near 75 years to go, "hey, wait a minute, maybe we should put a drain plug in that thing."

Seth
05-15-2006, 10:06 PM
man you have no idea - when you do it all day long....

Doug Krebs
05-15-2006, 10:46 PM
man you have no idea - when you do it all day long....

well ****, what I'm I doing ****ing around with this, I could have just drove the car over to you!

uglyota
05-16-2006, 10:32 AM
I borrowed a boat oil change pump the last time I did one...long straw with a 12v pump
stick the straw down the dipstick hole, drain the fluid, pull the pan, no problem. That spoiled me and I'm now 10k overdue for my next fluid change
yeah doug get a cork gasket or make one with that gasket material from tsc, xacto knife and a hole punch. The torque specs are only like 8ft-lb

agjohn02
05-16-2006, 10:43 AM
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mrg-4470_w.jpg

AggieTJ2007
05-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Those boat oil change pumps arent very much , Ive got 2 of them, one runs on a batter and the other on suction

BMFScout
05-16-2006, 10:49 AM
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mrg-4470_w.jpg

I've got one of those in the front of my scout pan b/c it didn't have one on the other side of the pump. It leaks awesome!

uglyota
05-16-2006, 10:49 AM
can I borrow one?

Doug Krebs
05-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I tightened it up a little more in the spot that it was leaking and it didn't leak any over night. :gigem:

I'm not putting a drain plug in a cavalier...

Getting the fluid out isn't a big deal. I got used to it after doing it on the raptor a couple times.

Also, this doesn't have a dipstick. It has a fill hole, and a check hole. You fill it up till it comes out the drain hole. Then you start it, run it through the gears, and add fluid again until it comes out he drain hole. Makes it hard to put the wrong amount of fluid in, although it sucks to check.

fbronco86
05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
I tightened it up a little more in the spot that it was leaking and it didn't leak any over night. :gigem:

I'm not putting a drain plug in a cavalier...

Getting the fluid out isn't a big deal. I got used to it after doing it on the raptor a couple times.

Also, this doesn't have a dipstick. It has a fill hole, and a check hole. You fill it up till it comes out the drain hole. Then you start it, run it through the gears, and add fluid again until it comes out he drain hole. Makes it hard to put the wrong amount of fluid in, although it sucks to check.

A cavalier is a throw away car just get a new one. :flipoff2:

Good luck on your trip to yankee land

Doug Krebs
05-16-2006, 12:41 PM
A cavalier is a throw away car just get a new one. :flipoff2:

Good luck on your trip to yankee land

seriously, I washed and waxed it last night too. It should be thrown away before that :gigem:

Thanks, I'll call you when we need to change the fuel pump :flipoff2:

jerryg79
05-16-2006, 12:52 PM
seriously, I washed and waxed it last night too. It should be thrown away before that :gigem:

Thanks, I'll call you when we need to change the fuel pump :flipoff2:

I think I got free tickets to the Jankees next Friday night......I'll find out when I goto pick up the trailer for super secret steel salvage. :gigem:

gimme a call if you need anything, which way are you going?

Doug Krebs
05-16-2006, 12:55 PM
I think I got free tickets to the Jankees next Friday night......I'll find out when I goto pick up the trailer for super secret steel salvage. :gigem:

gimme a call if you need anything, which way are you going?

sweet 4 seats? If not maybe you can sneak me in Samantha's purse?

We are stopping in louisville so blair can see the kentucky derby race track for a couple hours. I'm going to be doing some crazy ass driving, thats all I know. Adderall might be involved :gigem:

jerryg79
05-16-2006, 01:00 PM
sweet 4 seats? If not maybe you can sneak me in Samantha's purse?

We are stopping in louisville so blair can see the kentucky derby race track for a couple hours. I'm going to be doing some crazy ass driving, thats all I know. Adderall might be involved :gigem:

don't speed in virginny :D

yeah 4 seats, they are pretty good, i'll let you know.

Real men do it in 24hrs straight :flipoff2:

jerryg79
05-16-2006, 02:34 PM
sweet the guy just showed up with them....

here's where they are...game is friday at 7:05....gimme a call this evening

agjohn02
05-16-2006, 06:04 PM
I've got one of those in the front of my scout pan b/c it didn't have one on the other side of the pump. It leaks awesome!

ive got one in my trans and it doesnt leak. i put it there for a temp sensor bung but ive come to understand the benefit of it a couple of times.

Doug Krebs
05-16-2006, 08:27 PM
sweet the guy just showed up with them....

here's where they are...game is friday at 7:05....gimme a call this evening

Sweet! I call you in a few minutes.

Doug Krebs
05-16-2006, 10:39 PM
So here I am trying to book our hotel room in new york. I'm using travelocity because I think the troll, denouncer of travel myths, is cool as ****. One part of the page gives me a higher quote than the other. Naturally I want the cheaper rate, so I call up travelocity to find out the story. After about 25 minutes of being on hold I get an Indian woman named "lisa" that tells me they can't guarantee the rates on the page for flights. I tell her it's for a hotel, she says the same thing.

I told her I did it three times and it spit the same numbers out. I get the same answer from her. So then I ask her where New Jersey is, she replies the same spiel about no price guarantee.

I'm frustrated, so I hang up on the denouncer of travel myths and call the hotel directly. Son-of-a ***** I get another indian, although we only spoke briefly as he gave me another number to call.

I call the reservation hotline for Howard Johnson and get the lower rates that were on the travelocity page. This chick was a little hard to understand, but she spoke decently and sounded out everything in the phonetic alphabet. I.e alpha, beta, charlie, delta, echo...

agjohn02
05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of outsourcing. my sister couldnt figure out why the person on the phone didnt know what tivo was.

jerryg79
05-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Krebs and Co. made it here. Just had dinner with them and they already have some fantastic krebs stories.

Tomorrow they go into the city to visit krebs' krazy aunt, the one drunk dancing at his wedding and showing off her undies :D

fbronco86
05-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Krebs and Co. made it here. Just had dinner with them and they already have some fantastic krebs stories.

Tomorrow they go into the city to visit krebs' krazy aunt, the one drunk dancing at his wedding and showing off her undies :D

She also danced with me at the wedding. Good thing I missed the undies part. :gigem: