PDA

View Full Version : huh?

CRaSHnBuRN
05-26-2006, 06:31 AM
can you believe people actually buy stuff like this?

http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/4plusshockadapter.htm

I mean, come on, $17.50 a piece of a little piece of metal with a couple of holes in it? And you would need 6 of those things for the vehicle its meant for :eek:

uglyota
05-26-2006, 08:46 AM
no surprise. Landcroozer people are stoopid
apparently similar to EB people: http://bcbroncos.com/rearsusp1.html

AggieTJ2007
05-26-2006, 08:56 AM
all that is is 2 plates and a TSC HD gate hinge

CheapJeep
05-26-2006, 10:38 AM
scary... :eek:

CRaSHnBuRN
05-26-2006, 10:53 AM
well, I think the hinge thing is stupid, but at least it is somewhat unique, and somewhat difficult to fabricate. The cruiser thing is nothing but some channel or square tubing thats been cut, with 3 holes drilled in it. With even the most basic power tools you could fab those up in no time

uglyota
05-26-2006, 11:01 AM
what's so scary about the hinged perches?
as long as the bottom plate u-bolts to the axle, and the top plate bolts to the spring plate...
there's a guy selling similar ones that just weld to the stock perches. That's scary!

CheapJeep
05-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Those just seem to look extremely weak, once you put alot of torque through the axle it will travel through that hinge. I just imagine it'd create alot of axle wrap and you could probably break one easy under alot of power. :confused:

stx4wheeler
05-26-2006, 11:11 AM
those spring rockers suck, and to use them you need to modify it so that there is a saftey pin that can be pinned for on road driving, anyone i have ever heard that had those said it was uber scary. So douche on FSB asked about them, then everyone told him it was a horrible idea, he didnt listen put them on, and almost totalled his truck when driving it on the street, needless to say he junked them.

Sharpe
05-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Engrish?

TxCruzr
05-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Key word: man-a-fre...most expensive **** out there :rolleyes:

uglyota
05-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I imagine it would accentuate body roll, but so do soft springs and shocks
axlewrap is fixed with an antiwrap bar, and it wouldn't be difficult to build them strong enough for the application...I think 3/8" wall DOM and a 5/8" grade 5 bolt would do it

agjohn02
05-26-2006, 12:01 PM
they leave the bushings as the only thing locating the axle side-to-side. you need a track bar or pins like frick metioned or the axles wont stay under the vehicle.

agjohn02
05-26-2006, 12:09 PM
heres a scout with the same type of set-up

http://www.dandcextreme.com/buildups_projectday.asp?pkID=9&dayID=67

Sharpe
05-26-2006, 12:12 PM
There was a guy making a bolt on kit like the one John posted for chevies on coloradok5. They were reported to perform really well but he didnt sell enough to keep him in business.

uglyota
05-26-2006, 01:21 PM
you can get away with it if your body doesn't weigh a jillion pounds
and those "locating links" are stupid. Does he kink springs with them? He shoulda just linked it

Seth
05-26-2006, 05:54 PM
all that stuff makes me wonder - i am not sure what i think about it....but as far as the man a fre stuff...a guy could order two of those for 40 bucks delivered. and its done. he doesnt have to find some material and possibly buy way more than he needs. he doesnt need a drill press to dril a true set of holes. he doesnt have to bother with the trip to the store to buy the hardware. and he doesnt have to spend more than 15 minutes on it. For guys that make good money, where they have 40 bucks before they have 4 hours, its a good deal. no money spent on paint, gas to go to the store(s), hardware, no need for tools, etc. It just comes down to what you have more of, time or money. Also - if you don't have a shop and tools and a place to keep stuff.... also if someone is doing work for you, its prob cheaper to order those and give them over than to have said builder custom fab them for 50 bucks. so don't gawk at the price, yes they don't cost that much to build, but they are well worth it to some folks.

agjohn02
05-26-2006, 06:23 PM
you can get away with it if your body doesn't weigh a jillion pounds
and those "locating links" are stupid. Does he kink springs with them? He shoulda just linked it

you should be spouting this on pirate where im not likely to see it. :flipoff2:

ive go out to go eat with the family. ill be back later to rip holes in your hypothesis.

CRaSHnBuRN
05-26-2006, 11:38 PM
all that stuff makes me wonder - i am not sure what i think about it....but as far as the man a fre stuff...a guy could order two of those for 40 bucks delivered. and its done. he doesnt have to find some material and possibly buy way more than he needs. he doesnt need a drill press to dril a true set of holes. he doesnt have to bother with the trip to the store to buy the hardware. and he doesnt have to spend more than 15 minutes on it. For guys that make good money, where they have 40 bucks before they have 4 hours, its a good deal. no money spent on paint, gas to go to the store(s), hardware, no need for tools, etc. It just comes down to what you have more of, time or money. Also - if you don't have a shop and tools and a place to keep stuff.... also if someone is doing work for you, its prob cheaper to order those and give them over than to have said builder custom fab them for 50 bucks. so don't gawk at the price, yes they don't cost that much to build, but they are well worth it to some folks.

yeah, and these are the same kinda people who buy a brand new rubicon, take it to a shop, say they want the works (SBC, atlas, D60s), then right the check when its done. Did it save them time, yes, but it still doesn't replace the fact that they're idiots who have no idea what they're doing and most likely couldn't evn change the oil on thier rig much less fix a trail break