PDA

View Full Version : Coop

uglyota
06-01-2006, 09:08 AM
$50 Paint Job (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476749)
original thread (http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1)
looks like people are having pretty good luck with lots of coats of rustoleum thinned to 10%

Fredo
06-01-2006, 09:30 AM
this ranks right up there with copper fuel lines.

uglyota
06-01-2006, 09:49 AM
you know what your problem is, Fred, you come in here with your "I'm the kewlist Jeep parts slinger evar" attitude and you just come off as a mean old poopiehead
:flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
06-01-2006, 10:01 AM
hey I think it sounds pretty cool

Fredo
06-01-2006, 10:23 AM
well, I just don't see the point. If you want a ****ty paintjob, just get some cheap single stage enamel that is designed to be used on a car, and sprayed through a paint gun. Even then, you could expect some decent results if you know how to spray, wetsand, and buff.

uglyota
06-01-2006, 10:36 AM
well one point is that it's supposed to come out better and last longer than a ****ty paintjob with cheap enamel, and another point is that it's applied with a roller, meaning you don't need a paint booth, a gun or even a compressor

Fredo
06-01-2006, 10:49 AM
yeah, I read more of the post around page 13 or so and they are complaining of bubbling and **** tons of orange peel. The problem is most people don't know the difference between good paint and ****ty paint as long as it's got some shine to it. The point is you DO NOT use a f'n roller to put paint on a car. :gigem:

****ty paint:
http://www.rc-offroad.com/toyota/paint/CRW_7165.jpg

Decent paint:
http://ridesbybmf.com/camaro/camaro2.jpg

uglyota
06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
****ty paint on 1200 grit:
http://www.rc-offroad.com/toyota/paint/CRW_7180.jpg

Fredo
06-01-2006, 10:56 AM
still looks like dull ****.

BMFScout
06-01-2006, 01:38 PM
I don't care if you do think fred is a ****y *******, you will lose this argument. The man knows his paint, right Flem? :flipoff2:

JeepPhisherman
06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Read that a while ago from pirate, and I think the guys later on were using rustoleum, which is different than the tremlon or whatever. It was a different type of paint that's not avaliable in the US for some reason and bonded differently. I think the original paint jobs are pretty damn nice for $50.

AggieTJ2007
06-01-2006, 01:45 PM
that dude Fred...he knows everything that we don't even know the littlest about

He's like a car fact god. I fact I heard god called asking for some jeep parts and once god realized the wealth of knowledge that Fred knew he decided to ask him about paint and chevy engines and transmissions and all sorts of stuff that Fred knows all about.

Note: this is neither a mockery or a compliment just a true story

BMFScout
06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Fred has forgotten more than you will ever know Creighton.

Fredo
06-01-2006, 02:16 PM
hmm....thanks creighton.....didn't really mean to be an ass in this post...I just think what they are doing is stupid and very ghetto.

AggieTJ2007
06-01-2006, 02:20 PM
i agree w/ both of you Jimmy and Fredo. Its ok is your an internet ass if your cool in person.
Same way as people with huge e-wangs have very small real ones

BMFScout
06-01-2006, 02:21 PM
that dude Fred...he knows everything that we don't even know the littlest about

He's like a car fact god. I fact I heard god called asking for some jeep parts and once god realized the wealth of knowledge that Fred knew he decided to ask him about paint and chevy engines and transmissions and all sorts of stuff that Fred knows all about.

Note: this is neither a mockery or a compliment just a true story

I seem to remember you talking Fred's ear off asking questions about jeep **** in Clayton. I don't know why but this post hit a nerve. I had a ****ty morning, I need a beer. Ignore me.

Fredo
06-01-2006, 02:25 PM
i agree w/ both of you Jimmy and Fredo. Its ok is your an internet ass if your cool in person.
Same way as people with huge e-wangs have very small real ones

wow....what crawled up your ass and punched you in the balls from inside?

agjohn02
06-01-2006, 02:28 PM
didn't really mean to be an ass in this post...I just think what they are doing is stupid and very ghetto.

i dont think fred meant it that way either. we just expect him to mean it like that. :flipoff2:

i agree, its ghetto, but for offroad purposes it seems to be an effective, cheap alternative. with enough paint thickness (i.e.- coats) and lots of sandpaper, any application method can be made to look decent.

if i had a nice charger, would i use a roller and industrial paint to paint it? absolutely not. unless i were canadian, but thats a whole different story.

TxCruzr
06-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Who even as enough straight panels on their rig to use a roller? And its $50 plus your time in labor. Why not go to Maaco and get their $100 special and not get your dirt under your finger nails :flipoff2:

J Cooper
06-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Who even as enough straight panels on their rig to use a roller? And its $50 plus your time in labor. Why not go to Maaco and get their $100 special and not get your dirt under your finger nails :flipoff2:

cause maaco charges extra for everything... like the prep work and such and it adds up to alot.

ill probably just paint it with my gun... i think thats easier then using a roller. single stage paint is cheap anyways.

william_ace
06-01-2006, 04:50 PM
basically it looks good for a 50 dollar job.

BMFScout
06-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I think his roller would probably work, but you still need to know how to make it look good just like you would a gun and single stage or whatever. If you don't know how to wet sand and get it flat, it's going to look like **** no matter what you paint it with.

agjohn02
06-01-2006, 07:34 PM
i priced a paint job for the yota at maaco. i told them i wanted the cheapest that didnt look crappy and with prep work and all it was ~$800.

william_ace
06-01-2006, 10:18 PM
what you doin with that truck anyhow john?

eight
06-01-2006, 10:22 PM
I used to get my crew cabs painted pretty good, or good as factory, for $800-1000. I don't see why people think a cheap paint job must be done ****tily like with spray cans or other crap. Any cheap enamal sprayed decently through a cheap gun in lots of thin coats with 50% overlap will turn out much better. Dam that reminds me I want to paint jeep this summer.

agjohn02
06-01-2006, 10:42 PM
what you doin with that truck anyhow john?

gonna DD it once i get the bugs worked out and the chevy sold. the starter is still intermittant. ive got to trouble shoot it some more.