PDA

View Full Version : Fj-80

CRaSHnBuRN
06-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Time for the next victim. I'm looking for a 91-97 toyota FJ-80 landcruiser. The cheaper and newer the better. If you see one on craigslist, on the side of the road, or anywhere else, let me know.

picture of one for the people who don't know what I'm talking about

http://kumar.cruizer.net/Krawler_Build_Up/krawler_11.jpg

think big 4runner with coil springs and straight axles

jerryg79
06-08-2006, 03:30 PM
think everyone i've ever seen has a milliion miles and they still want $10k

CRaSHnBuRN
06-08-2006, 03:56 PM
yeah, but the gas crunch and thier age is helping to lower the prices. I've found several 94-97 (the better model FZJ) with 90-150K miles in the 5-8000 dollar price range in the last few weeks. While this may seem high, compared to other toyotas its not bad, especially when you consider these vehicles were luxury rigs, and often pampered. Plus you gotta love stock electric lockers front and rear

BMFScout
06-08-2006, 04:18 PM
I think you'll just get pissed wheeling something like this now.

CRaSHnBuRN
06-08-2006, 04:45 PM
perhaps, but this is where I'm at now. I have no place to store a second rig. I also miss having a 4x4 I could drive around town. I want something that can be built in stages, or left stock and still wheel well if I want. I also want something more all weather friendly. The cruiser covers all of these points. In stock form it fits 33's, can be had with lockers, and handles itself well on road and off. Sure its a larger vehicle, but still smaller than many of the rigs in this club. They seem to last forever, considering how many I've seen completely original with 300K+ miles. I don't expect this to be a hardcore wheeler. The buggy was great for that, but was left wanting for a lot of other things. Sure there are other rigs that could do what I want that could be had cheaper, but I've loved the look of the 80 for as long as I can remember. Plus since this is more of a high end vehicle, many of the people building them have no clue what they're doing. They pay for everything, and never think for themselves. This keeps things interesting because not everything has been done before. One guy did a relatively simple conversion from a radius arm design to a 3 link, and everyone acted like it was the most shocking thing they had ever seen. Plus, I'm thinking to the future and my possible plans to move to alaska. A rig like this would work well there

CRaSHnBuRN
06-08-2006, 04:52 PM
another key thing is I need a vehicle that be built relatively bolt on. No SAS's this time, or stuff like that. I need something that I can drive home, or to a friends house, work on for the weekend, then drive back

Jackasic
06-08-2006, 06:54 PM
where do you guys find money for all this? arn't you still in college? you have a buggy and a 05 Taco, what is the hurry to get something else? why not just focus on graduating and getting a job that can pay for such things.

:shakes head:

JB
06-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Always liked those rigs. I'll keep a lookout, but yeah they do seem to hold a higher value. I have seen plenty with 200k and still a high price tag.

CRaSHnBuRN
06-08-2006, 10:06 PM
The buggy was sold a month ago, when I knew for sure I no longer had a place to go with it. The taco officially goes for sale tommorow. Before, it was something I needed, but now that I no longer have a long commute, nor a fiancee pushing me to get a better truck, I no longer feel the need to keep up the payments. I think that with the sale of the taco, and some money I saved up, I can buy the cruiser with cash, and therefore be done with payments. Then I can toss a little money at it from time to time when I have some extra cash

I am also focused on graduating. There is a limit on how fast I can go though, and I'm doing that. Yeah, I've been here a while, but that was out of my control (**** the school of architecture). The lowest grade I've had in my entire college career was a single D, and I've only dropped a single class at A&M, and 2 at blinn, so I'm not screwing around. I work full time, and don't party much, so playing with 4x4's is one of my few releases

fbronco86
06-09-2006, 12:23 AM
The buggy was sold a month ago, when I knew for sure I no longer had a place to go with it. The taco officially goes for sale tommorow. Before, it was something I needed, but now that I no longer have a long commute, nor a fiancee pushing me to get a better truck, I no longer feel the need to keep up the payments. I think that with the sale of the taco, and some money I saved up, I can buy the cruiser with cash, and therefore be done with payments. Then I can toss a little money at it from time to time when I have some extra cash

I am also focused on graduating. There is a limit on how fast I can go though, and I'm doing that. Yeah, I've been here a while, but that was out of my control (**** the school of architecture). The lowest grade I've had in my entire college career was a single D, and I've only dropped a single class at A&M, and 2 at blinn, so I'm not screwing around. I work full time, and don't party much, so playing with 4x4's is one of my few releases

Might try jerkin off for a release hellva lot cheaper :flipoff2:

agjohn02
06-09-2006, 01:36 AM
now that I no longer have a long commute, nor a fiancee pushing me to get a better truck, I no longer feel the need to keep up the payments. I think that with the sale of the taco, and some money I saved up, I can buy the cruiser with cash, and therefore be done with payments. Then I can toss a little money at it from time to time when I have some extra cash

see the benefits are already showing

i think the one i found needs a 5.3l.

BMFScout
06-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Brandon, some of us worked through college!! :flipoff2: I for one mowed yards to make it through! ;)

Jackasic
06-09-2006, 08:29 AM
yea, wish I had done that :rolleyes: :flipoff2: Some of us worked in school to pay for it, housing, living expenses, ect., not to just fund our Mazda habit :p

It makes more sense with some clarified facts, i.e less rigs. I can see where you are coming from now, probability a good compromise between DD and wheel-able. There was one on Craig's a while back with a blown head gasket for 2K, so I am sure deals are out there. I had the same though, with the thought long term of swapping in some bow-tie power.

CRaSHnBuRN
06-09-2006, 10:12 AM
yeah, my parents have never given me a red cent for living cost or college. Thats why I work so much.

As for engine swaps, I'm definitely interested in that if the need be, but there is a small snag, other than the downtime required. Alaska is touchy with thier emissions, and don't allow engines from other makes swapped in. So I could swap a tundra v8, but not a chevy 350, even if it was newer and passed all emissions. I could still register and drive it during the warmer months, just not during the winter. Diesels are an exception though, and can be swapped into anything, and don't require emmision testing

Sharpe
06-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Put A 6.2 In!!!!!!

CheapJeep
06-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Put A 6.2 In!!!!!!
I knew that was coming.... :flipoff2:

Graystroke
06-09-2006, 05:23 PM
or just glue on some plastic toyota badging to the 5.3. No one will know the difference.

agjohn02
06-09-2006, 05:29 PM
. So I could swap a tundra v8, but not a chevy 350, even if it was newer and passed all emissions. I could still register and drive it during the warmer months, just not during the winter. Diesels are an exception though, and can be swapped into anything, and don't require emmision testing

whats the deal with this? you cant drive it during the winter? that only leaves about a week that you could drive it huh?

i like graysons idea

bburris
06-09-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't think the roads in Alaska are exactly open during the winter months... Most of hte cities are also closed and accesible only by aircraft.

Graystroke
06-09-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't think the roads in Alaska are exactly open during the winter months... Most of hte cities are also closed and accesible only by aircraft.
...not if you have one of these...

Graystroke
06-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I saw a couple of fj80's for ~$7500
also, in the North Texas version of truck trader there is a complete rolling chassis (wheels, tires, axles, tranny, 5.3 motor w/ computer/harness) for $2200 -no body..just frame-motor-tranny
ph 903-227-1585.....it's in the Misc. tuck parts/acces. section in the back of the June 16th issue
I couldn't find a link on the web...he probably got the cheap ad. w/ no internet ad.

CRaSHnBuRN
06-09-2006, 11:46 PM
cool, I'll look into that. As for winter driving conditions, I don't think they're as bad as that, especially in the anchorage area which is where I would want to go. As for the emmisions thing, aparently they are pretty rough on it. But like I said you can get a seasonal pass thats good for april through october I think. At this point, I'm just waiting for the tacoma to sell, and then I'll see what I can afford and go from there

robertf03
06-10-2006, 01:11 AM
...not if you have one of these...

can't wait until 2008. up for a road trip grayson?

bburris
06-12-2006, 10:24 PM
There's one in the Truck Trader I just picked up:

1993 Toyota Land Cruiser
195K miles, forest green with grey cloth interior, 4WD, inline 6 cyl, ARB replacement bumper, Nakamichi CD, new tires, $6500
325-379-1253

TJA27524/ 00491079101

william_ace
06-18-2006, 04:31 PM
did you see the one in front of the storage place next to sams?

CRaSHnBuRN
06-18-2006, 11:28 PM
yeah, I've test driven it, but he wanted to much for it at the time. It has some problems, so I'm kinda leary about it