PDA

View Full Version : toy vs dana

agjohn02
07-11-2006, 11:56 AM
the tech dept is in dire need of... tech. so, i gotta question for anyone that might know.

i hear toyota front axles have less steering angle than a dana axle. is this true and noticable or just pirate e-puke?

actually, lets make this a toy vs dana thread.

how does a stock toy stack up against a stock dana 44?

which can be built stronger with aftermarket shafts and joints?

how does a 30 spline longfield toy stack up against a stock 60?

i know theres a couple of toy freaks on here that should have some input defending their 4n crap.

BMFScout
07-11-2006, 12:25 PM
there is a place in Bryan called Saenz Tamales. Go there around Christmas, the tamales are excellent!!

Shaggy
07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
jimmy got straight to the point i see

jerryg79
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
a mexican guy brought tamales to our office one time around christmas...they were good.

KrazyKarl02
07-11-2006, 01:15 PM
I love lamp

I love chair

uglyota
07-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I love toyota axles, cuz they're what I've got, they bolt right up, mine haven't broke, and my front one is silver :flipoff2:
no time for this discussion, but here's a graph:
http://toyotasuperaxles.com/images/torquetestgraph.jpg

Fredo
07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...

Sharpe
07-11-2006, 01:37 PM
I dont know too much about them but shaft strength does not seem to be an issue with yota axles any more. Using Scotti's 4limper as an example, the knuckles appeared to be the weak link after longfields were added correct? I dont think 44 shafts have come that far but I'm just going by what I've seen.

Busa
07-11-2006, 02:01 PM
I have had toyota axles for about 5 years. Toyota axles are good for 35's or smaller. I have used every shafted on the market except longfield chromo axles. I broke everyone. 4 stock berfileds 3 shafted 5 longfeilds with rings, 3 rear shafts and about 7 ring and pinion. 5.29s and stock 4.10. I ripped of one steering arm and bent two housings. I am now using Dana 44 axles under a YJ wiht 35. I always said I would never change but it is time. I am planning on using ford 9’s front and rear and my buggy. I feel like there is a lot more strength there. I does not matter what you run under you rig. It will brake one day.

Cajun
07-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I does not matter what you run under you rig. It will brake one day.

While I still think this holds true, the OEM 2" OD 47 spline alloy Rockwell shafts are the closest thing to bombproof out there.

Shaggy
07-11-2006, 03:31 PM
i wonder how my 300m 60 shafts will hold up... they will last forever at this rate... laying on the floor of my shop... way to spend 2k on shafts

Cajun
07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Feh. I've got over $6k in axles sitting in a corner collecting dust. I have no idea when I'll use them. :rolleyes:

Being a responsible adult sucks sometimes.

Shaggy
07-11-2006, 03:40 PM
***.. i am trying to buy a house so i cant spend on the toys... sucks when i have the expensive parts but cant spend the change to put them in

eight
07-11-2006, 09:48 PM
A stock toy axle is about as strong as a stock dana 30, either can run 35s but will break and seem to be better off with 33s. A stock d44 is stronger than a stock toy axle. With a set of longfields the toy axle is stronger than the dana. After that they switch depending on money input.

Of course this is all stuff I made up from what I've seen.

davido
07-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Feh. I've got over $6k in axles sitting in a corner collecting dust. I have no idea when I'll use them. :rolleyes: Being a responsible adult sucks sometimes.

Amen to that. I can't believe those things are just sitting there. Why don't you send them over and I'll excercise them. Don't want them getting fat. :D Mark also has a D60/C14 set that I pawned off on him about...what, 3 - 4 years ago Mark?

I have used every shafted on the market except longfield chromo axles. I broke everyone.

Excellent. That's a long ($) freakin list.

After seeing that guy with the Cummins hammer on it in Alton, I'll never doubt the abuse a Rockwell can take. I'm still holding out for breaking my boat anchor. That bastard can take a beating from the skinny pedal, but it's very friendly with the rocks. Never misses a chance to stop and chat.

How hard is it to shave down the D60 & C14?

Sharpe
07-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Its alot easier to shave em if they're not in the truck. I did my 14 when I was building it and I told you exactly how to do it, it aint rocket science so get to work *****. As for the 60, I cant bring myself to shave an axle worth that much just yet, but I always seem to get hung up on it and not the 14 bolt so it may go under the grinder soon anyway.

davido
07-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Yeah, asking for conversation mostly. :D I was speaking mainly about the plating and everything. I'm going to have to put new spring bushings in all the way around anyway, so I'll have it close to off. Some of my bushings are gone to the point that I hear metal on metal clanking. Cody made a good point about doing anymore than the lip though. By the time you rotate it that high up, it's not that much gain anyway and you expose your diff cover lip more.

eight
07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
A 7" grinder gets rid of them fairly quickish. You don't get a whole lot more for the work of cutting and plating so to me its not worth it as I am lazy. I did find that after shaving my rear 60 and running it over the rocks for a few years it has worn some. I had metal around the bottom diff bolt and last I pulled it out that bolt was worn half way through. I estimate about 3/16" of metal/bolt worn off.

Cajun
07-14-2006, 01:25 AM
I shaved the 14 bolt under the 'laws K5 with a metal cutting blade in a Skill saw. Sawzall and grider to finish it off, easy. My D70 needs a trim BAD. Definitely in the works for The Winter Rebuild.

agjohn02
07-14-2006, 01:29 AM
summa you jap lovin fags need to tell me about this turning radius thing. is it true? steering angle is less on toy axles? or is it b/c tires hit the springs.