PDA

View Full Version : School me on hyro-boost systems

stx4wheeler
07-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Alright my brakes suck cause my cam is to big, and i like theway the truck sounds so i am looking at other options. Right now hydro-boost seems like the best option. the only thing i am leery about is my pump dying and being stuck with manual brakes. i realize i could carry a spare pump, and solve this problem.

1 how much are we talking to do the swap?

2 what trucks do i need to get parts from

3 What companies make upgraded good pumps to be able to run my hydro assist steering, and brakes.

discuss

Sharpe
07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
I dont remember what it came out of but Garrett has hydroboost on the b-ronc and likes it alot. I want to say a lincoln towncar but that doesnt sound right. Look in Ford diesels, fullsize vans and 1 ton pickups. You most deffinately need it and I'm sure the trees in Clayton would thank you.

As far as pumps go, saginaw all the way. Even with a saginaw pump with the high-flow mods done to it, some people have had mixed reviews while using hydro assist and hydroboost brakes. For some it works, for others it doesnt but you might want to consider using a 1 1/2" ram instead of 2" so it doesnt require as much juice. You will deffinately need to figure out how to add some fluid capacity, but that isnt very hard. That guy willyswanter on pirate and ck5 runs two saginaw pumps, one for steering and one for the brakes.

I wouldnt expect the entire swap to cost more than $200, and thats if you go balls to the wall and swap in a saginaw pump and get a decent deal on the booster and master cylinder. I have been told that if you lose the power steering pump, the goofy little cylinder mounted off to the side on the booster unit is designed to hold enough pressure to allow you to brake normaly 2 or 3 more times. I know this as a fact, cause at Alto I lost my PS belt and was still able to stop normaly once or twice.

Doug Krebs
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Alright my brakes suck cause my cam is to big, and i like theway the truck sounds so i am looking at other options. Right now hydro-boost seems like the best option. the only thing i am leery about is my pump dying and being stuck with manual brakes. i realize i could carry a spare pump, and solve this problem.

1 how much are we talking to do the swap?

2 what trucks do i need to get parts from

3 What companies make upgraded good pumps to be able to run my hydro assist steering, and brakes.

discuss

Astro minivan seems to be a popular and plentiful donor for the hydroboost swap.

agjohn02
07-18-2006, 01:44 PM
I have been told that if you lose the power steering pump, the goofy little cylinder mounted off to the side on the booster unit is designed to hold enough pressure to allow you to brake normaly 2 or 3 more times. I know this as a fact, cause at Alto I lost my PS belt and was still able to stop normaly once or twice.

its just for one power assisted stop

edit: i think

sasquatch
07-18-2006, 02:12 PM
the bump on my forehead says your brakes suck dong as well. how often do ps pumps honestly go out? i know you can add a reservoir no problem to the return side. could you add a reservoir to the high pressure side and would it help with pressure issues? also wasn't your first ram a 1" bore? sharpes right, a smaller ram will cut down on the pumps work.

stx4wheeler
07-18-2006, 02:52 PM
first ram was 1.5 inch. im going to 2 inch cause a welded front is gonna require more force to turn easier.

i have a saginaw pump already assuming it is working? sharpe?

garrets crapped out and was a junkyard pump jsut like the one i have is so i figure i nned to find another back up pump, or get a new one now, and then use the one i haveas a spare.

CheapJeep
07-18-2006, 03:07 PM
I'd find a pump in good working order and maybe add a high capacity remote reservoir because that's alot to ask of the pump. Then again I'm welded in the front and have been using a Rolls Royce pump and it hasn't blown up yet...but we'll leave that alone. Speaking of which I need to get to work on my own hydro assist and swap in my saginaw pump now that I got 38"s.

Sharpe
07-18-2006, 03:41 PM
My well since you already have a saginaw you're set there. I personaly have never seen a power steering pump fail, I dont remember if Garrett's actually failed or if he just wanted to swap it out for a saginaw. The pump I originaly had on pigpen was leaking, so I went ahead and bought a $30 reman pump, but I destroyed the pulley trying to get it off because I didnt know what I was doing and ended up beating the entire pulley/pump/reservoir/bracket assembly into a metal blob with a 3lb sledge cause I was pissed off. So if you plan on carrying a spare, make sure you have the special pulley remover.

Putting a reservoir in the low pressure side doesnt sound like a very good idea, the pump sucks **** directly out of the reservoir its mounted in so for some reason that just doesnt sound like a good plan. A reservoir on the high pressure side sounds even worse.

You can try a 2" ram, but I would still recomend a 1 1/2" from what I've seen. A little extra exercise never killed anyone anyway.

stx4wheeler
07-18-2006, 04:15 PM
i also have a power steering cooler to help with more fluid and less heat.

BMFScout
07-18-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't see what a reservoir on the low side could be a bad idea? It may not need it, but I don't see how it could hurt anything. A cooler is a great idea, the bigger the better.

sasquatch
07-18-2006, 05:20 PM
http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/PowerSteering/powersteering.htm

Reckless
07-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Look in summit for the hi-cap electric vaccum pumps and resivours for race cars, i bet that may be a cheaper and less complicated idea

Sharpe
07-18-2006, 05:44 PM
While yes a cooler is always a good idea, they do not add to reserve capacity (i.e. the reservoir will still be sucked dry just as easily) I suppose a reservoir in the low pressure side might work but it seems to me like the fluid is "pushed" back into the primary reservoir out of the low side. If you had a second reservoir before the first one, what would draw the fluid from the second reservoir to the first? I doubt the pump creates sufficient suction to do the job and I wouldnt want to rely on gravity (this is on the pressurized hose, gravity is ok on a remote reservoir...thats what pigpen has). If you get a normal style reservoir, you can hose clamp a piece of radiator hose to the top to add more capacity, and if you run a remote reservoir you can just cludge something together.

Shaggy
07-18-2006, 06:18 PM

that is pretty clean looking... i like the idea

agjohn02
07-18-2006, 06:23 PM
blah blah blah

i couldnt read all that dribble :flipoff2:

a remote reservoir will help in that it will up system capacity, aiding both cooling and flow requirements.

remember, the cooler and reservoir go on the return/low pressure side. nothing should be between the pump and box. got that chadnutz?

agjohn02
07-18-2006, 06:26 PM

thats good info on there but that remote reservoir isnt going to act any different than a regular one. ive got a remote on mine and its nothing special. the whole reason for a remote in this case is for more system capacity. basically you'd have two reservoirs, one remote and one on the pump. remember, they have to be at the same level.

Sharpe
07-18-2006, 06:28 PM
i couldnt read all that dribble :flipoff2: Get edumacated then.

remember, the cooler and reservoir go on the return/low pressure side. nothing should be between the pump and box. got that chadnutz? :laughing: :laughing:

agjohn02
07-18-2006, 09:06 PM
you gotta be kidding me. cheapjeep, cool it with the delete button ok? or.. is that short little sucker still an officer? i was looking for my discussion on beirut univ and condoleeza rice and it's gone.

anywho... i was thinking, it make a heckuva story to tell your kids, "well, there i was in college and israel invaded lebanon and i had to catch a marine helicopter out of beirut and hop on a norwegian cruise ship to sweden and wait out the war."

man, im still pissed about getting deleted. what gives with that? and they say Bush is bad about abusing his executive power.

CheapJeep
07-18-2006, 10:29 PM
WTF are you talking about john? I haven't deleted any of your posts yet you still seem to think I'm behind it everytime someone's post is gone. You need to chill out and stop throwing around accusations.

Doug Krebs
07-18-2006, 10:35 PM
WTF are you talking about john? I haven't deleted any of your posts yet you still seem to think I'm behind it everytime someone's post is gone. You need to chill out and stop throwing around accusations.

you're in cahoots with hezbollah aren't you!

agjohn02
07-18-2006, 11:12 PM
dang it. i forgot about that whole sarcasm not conveying in type thing. i do think its funny that both of you pmed me and think i was serious. the context should have given away the jovial nature.

btw, frick, there are many tech threads littered with chit chat, just ask jimmy and davido. they have both sniped my tech threads right off the bat just like i did you.

only un-American terrorists delete other peoples posts that do not contain profanity or personal attacks.

agjohn02
07-18-2006, 11:17 PM
frick, consider it a compliment that i took the effort to screw with you. its kinda like how everybody pats you on the head when they walk by, it may annoy you but its because they like you. :flipoff2:

CheapJeep
07-18-2006, 11:29 PM
I feel all warm and fuzzy now... :flipoff2:

73bronco
07-23-2006, 09:30 PM
whatever you do dont get a late 70's booster from a caddy or lincoln, the same seal in mine has crapped out twice on me. I'll be switching to a superduty unit b/c the peddle to rod length is the same for my bronco. Astrovan units are another good option.

as for PS you need a remote reservior system if you'll be running the ram. I'm getting PCS to do their magic to my pump, as well as adding a remote reservior and cooler to keep everything happy

davido
07-24-2006, 12:36 AM
The PSC setups are sweet, no doubt. Busa can turn his 35s with his pinky. Scott's full hydro is also amazingly easy. I've drilled mine out some, planning on doing more. I also need a remote reservoir of some kind. Probably add a cooler when I add the reservoir. I like the remote reservoir pump link that was posted. I've been fighing buying one because I hate the thought of spending $150 for a reservoir. PSC now has a $75 option also. This one is hopefully less than $30. I've never had a heat issue with mine.

Eventhough I have to add fluid, mine did pretty well in CO. They're aired down 42s. That's a huge footprint to move. Also welded. If I start spending big money, it's going to be on full hydro. But that's no time soon. Mine turns easily at anything other than idle. I just have to give it a little gas to get the juices flowing. But, iIf you can get buy without buying the best, then the modded saginaw pump will work great. I would start there. You can always blow your lunch money on the PSC later.

Sharpe
07-24-2006, 12:57 AM
As an added note you can add a smaller pulley on the PS pump in increase flow.

73bronco
07-24-2006, 03:40 AM
check this link out for cheaper reservoir options, I'm gonna go this route and just add another port for my hydroboost

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER-STEERING-RESERVOIR-IMCA-CIRCLE-TRACK-DRAG-RACE_W0QQitemZ110010456243QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33588 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem