PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket windshield wiper kit

Moose
07-23-2006, 11:54 AM
is there an aftermarket wiper kit that mounts in the engine compartment instead of inside the dash!?

as i was driving down the highway, the sky fell out. i turned my wipers on and they stuck in the middle. it sucked. i learned very well how to drive w/out wipers. the transition period between when the w'shield is clean and completely covered in water is stressful. after that, it's just a matter of decifering blur.

anywho. i learned the problem was the joints in the system are getting dry and sticking. i tried wd40 after dismantling the dash and glove compartment. still not working. not only that, it's a b!tch to even get your hands in there to work on the motor or its brackets. i'm deeming it impossible, therefore...

sasquatch
07-23-2006, 02:07 PM
never heard of a aftermarket kit. try using lmc truck to get new parts to replace the ones that worn out/sticking in the linkages. you motor might also be crap after almost 30 years

tigweld
07-23-2006, 02:23 PM
wd-40 is too thin for that job, try some spray lithium grease. any interior moving parts are lubed from the factory with this stuff.

stx4wheeler
07-23-2006, 02:54 PM
yeah its a ***** to get to that **** i cut out the whole dash of my parts truck so i could get to it easier.

Moose
07-23-2006, 04:12 PM
robert, the stock parts are the problem. i don't want to work inside the dash anymore (read kevin's post further down). it'd be easier acess if i could tool around under the hood. but thanks.

ryan, i'll try the lithium. thanks.

TxCruzr
07-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I didn't need windshield wipers, whats your problem :flipoff2:
If anything I would like to add windshield wipers to the inside of my windshield :)

mudtoy67
07-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Do a google search for windshield wipers and hot rods, you'll come up with a bunch of stuff. When I was building corvettes we used a universal windshield wiper kit, I can't remember the brand, but the wiper shafts were driven remotely by a push/pull cable.

Here is an example:
http://www.spwkits.com/powerwiperkits.htm

Moose
07-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I didn't need windshield wipers, whats your problem :flipoff2:
If anything I would like to add windshield wipers to the inside of my windshield :)

joseph? so, you're saying you jack off a lot to simulate actually having consensual sex with an submissive partner inside your vehicle, therefore you need wipers to clean the bogus fog off the inside of your glass? throw me a bone here. i'm lookin for solutions here not givin 'em.

it's probably the margaritas talkin'

Moose
07-23-2006, 10:03 PM
brian, i'm finding out you can disaseble the entire dash easily. i didn't know this at all. i figured jobs like this required special tools & patience. suposedly not. but for future, i think i'm going to convert to exo anywho cause it's not fun w/out 'em.

TxCruzr
07-23-2006, 11:03 PM
no....let me break it down for you, its complicated...
rain = water on windshield
rain + no top = water on inside of windshield
Thanks and gig em :gigem:

AggieTJ2007
07-23-2006, 11:16 PM
rain + no top = water on inside of windshield
Thanks and gig em :gigem:

tell me about it I carry a rain jacket in a towel in my foul weather kit

TxCruzr
07-23-2006, 11:23 PM
I carry a trash bag

agjohn02
07-23-2006, 11:35 PM
seriously, how much does a fj soft-top cost? dont you have birthday's or celebrate Christmas?

TxCruzr
07-23-2006, 11:37 PM
rollcage too tall for soft top....going to make a nice tight fitting bikini for it when I get more time.

CheapJeep
07-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah I'm in the same boat. A soft top doesn't fit, and with a bikini top and horizontal rain you still get wet...

BMFScout
07-24-2006, 01:04 PM
rollcage too tall for soft top....going to make a nice tight fitting bikini for it when I get more time.

mmmm...tight fitting bikini, reminds me of the river this past weekend! HOLY JEEZ!

I had a POS that the windshield wipers didn't work on, Rain-X. The only time you need wipers is when it's being kicked up from the highway.

TxCruzr
07-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Rainx works pretty good. I used it more when I used to get rained on once a week, I guess I should get back in the habbit. You can also drive faster. Through extinsive research I have found that after 100mph the rain doesn't stay on the windshield long enough to cause a problem...it's the rain the on the road that'll get ya :D