PDA

View Full Version : Holley v. Edelbrock

95discovery
08-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Alright so im looking at getting a new carb to replace the 2 barrel pos on the 360. The holley 670 truck avenger seems to be a good carb for off road but ive heard some bad things about them really drinking gas and harder to tune. The edelbrock performer 600 is quite a bit cheaper and seems to be a reliable carb, I just dont know how it would do on inclines and such. What are your opinions on the two and why?

KrazyKarl02
08-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I would go with the edelbrock. It in my opinion is a much simpler carb. Holley makes good carbs, but like you said, they are a little harder to tune (not really harder, perhaps the word is more tunable). For offroading, my opinion, the smaller the carb the better, put to big a carb on and it will bog, a 600cfm should work with a 360. My brothers chevelle (283) would bog down with a 650.

But right out of the box Edelbrock is pretty damn easy. Hell you could be 19, drunker than hell and work on Jerry's '79 bronco, let Mike take the holley carb off, pass out on the wheel, then you could come having never worked on a ford engine and install the carb. All this and have it crank on the first try.

And Jerry correct me if I'm wrong, but we never even adjusted that carb!

Oh and I will go ahead and say it, screw a carb, go fuel injection.

Sharpe
08-03-2006, 10:40 PM
A) who is that guy in the pic with Jerry and

B) I think this is the first tech post Karl has ever made

CheapJeep
08-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Nice cheesedick smile... :flipoff2:

Oh and I second Edelbrock or if you have the skrilla go efi.

colman
08-03-2006, 10:51 PM
you can go fuel injection for under 400 dollars if you make it yourself, i'm doing that right now, use stock gm tbi parts, its easy and there is a lot of tech on the web for jeeps and internationals

KrazyKarl02
08-03-2006, 10:53 PM
A) who is that guy in the pic with Jerry and

B) I think this is the first tech post Karl has ever made

A) It is my long lost friend Jeremy, he did not die, he married the worst succubus ever!!!!!!

B) Look in my build up of the klogger, it is filled with all sorts of important and usefull information, the main theme being, drinking kills brain cells.

:beer:

95discovery
08-03-2006, 10:54 PM
right now i'd rather stick with carb for simplicity but ill check into the homemade efi just for the hell of it since the kits are so damn expensive. And it looks like i'll be going with the edelbrock due to popular opinion and about 100 bucks cheaper.

KrazyKarl02
08-03-2006, 10:55 PM
There are lots of people here that have made it work, Cox, Kolpecki, The Brune Brothers, etc....

Remember my motto if Brian Damn Ritchie can do it, I can too.

J Cooper
08-03-2006, 11:07 PM
i have an edelbrock on my truck and its never given me a problem... 2 barrel motorcrafts are good... thats what i have on my jeep... but yes harder to tune.

fbronco86
08-03-2006, 11:13 PM
My edelbrock 600 was sweet on the street. Offroad it sucked. My motorcraft 2150 was a bad dude offroad carb it only stalled a once or twice on me.

The problem with the edelbrock are the overflows from the bowl . When you get on a hill the gas spills over from the bowl down mains thus flooding the engine. The overflows look like needles sticking down into the bowl. I have heard you can put rubber hose of them to block them and this will stop this problem. I have never tried this so I have no idea I went to FI instead.

Tuning a carb. If you can not tune a aftermarket carb you need help.

agjohn02
08-03-2006, 11:38 PM
you can go fuel injection for under 400 dollars if you make it yourself,

God help you when Kopecki reads this :flipoff2:

agjohn02
08-03-2006, 11:39 PM
There are lots of people here that have made it work, Cox, Kolpecki, The Brune Brothers, etc....

i dont need no stinkin' homemade tbi injection. I GAHTS ELLTEEWON!1!1won!!!

edit: but theres a chance i may be doing it soon.

J Cooper
08-04-2006, 12:48 AM
My edelbrock 600 was sweet on the street. Offroad it sucked. My motorcraft 2150 was a bad dude offroad carb it only stalled a once or twice on me.

The problem with the edelbrock are the overflows from the bowl . When you get on a hill the gas spills over from the bowl down mains thus flooding the engine. The overflows look like needles sticking down into the bowl. I have heard you can put rubber hose of them to block them and this will stop this problem. I have never tried this so I have no idea I went to FI instead.

Tuning a carb. If you can not tune a aftermarket carb you need help.

agree on all

jerryg79
08-04-2006, 06:05 AM
It was a '78, I was drunk, and the caption to that picture also reads "Jerry Goss, Jeremy Weinstein, and mike knoeller (not pictured)" He was passed out against the tire :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
08-04-2006, 08:45 AM
It was a '78, I was drunk, and the caption to that picture also reads "Jerry Goss, Jeremy Weinstein, and mike knoeller (not pictured)" He was passed out against the tire :flipoff2:

I was there helping mike!

agjohn02
08-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Jeremy Weinstein

i thought thats who that was. dudes a turd sized douche. ive got proof, karl calls him his friend.

jerryg79
08-04-2006, 10:02 AM
weinstein ruled, then he got married.

Doug Krebs
08-04-2006, 10:04 AM
i thought thats who that was. dudes a turd sized douche. ive got proof, karl calls him his friend.

you know the story of the surface grinder?

agjohn02
08-04-2006, 10:07 AM
no, i know the story of me meeting him in the machine shop though. do tell.

Jackasic
08-04-2006, 10:11 AM
i'm a big holley fan, Deamon are the same "design" but with better bits. Holley is excedingly easy to tune, and if you go with a Deamon they have four corner idle adjustment. There are a few cheap mods to make a Holley offroad viable: float bowl went, bown extensions, and few other that summit sells. You might want to get a 2300.

agjohn02
08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
weinstein ruled, then he got married.

did he marry the blonde that worked in the machine shop he was dating?
y'know, the one that was sleeping with one of the married A&M staff members and taking showers together at work?

KrazyKarl02
08-04-2006, 10:55 AM

:rainbow:

If Jeremy is a turd sized douche, then John Cox you sir are a douche the size of Texas.

On the other hand I might be wrong, If me calling someone my friend makes them a douche, then John you are the only one on this board who is not a douche. :flipoff2:

Like Jerry said he actually was a pretty cool guy until he married Lindsay, the blond in the machine shop. After that he was not allowed to curse, get sloppy drunk, or have fun.

agjohn02
08-04-2006, 10:57 AM
:rainbow:

Doug Krebs
08-04-2006, 11:46 AM
did he marry the blonde that worked in the machine shop he was dating?
y'know, the one that was sleeping with one of the married A&M staff members and taking showers together at work?

oh yeah, i know stories... and the person that you speak of

TxCruzr
08-04-2006, 03:53 PM
I've wheeled with 2 people, one currently had the holley nut advenger and the other had just scrapped one. It sucked. Maybe you have to sit and play with it for hours but screw that. Holleys are great for street cars.
Lot of cruiser guys have great luck with the motorcraft 2bbls. One guys daughter even rolled down I think 2 stage in ok. and it was still running at the bottom.
I vote qjet, you bolt it on, you connect a fuel line, you wire 12v to the choke, you drive away. Runs like a whore on her back....which is good :gigem:

BMFScout
08-04-2006, 04:09 PM
This thread is like when Texas Teck plays t.u.... who gives a fvck, they both suck!!