PDA

View Full Version : Chips

Seth
08-09-2006, 07:29 AM
so my dad and i were talking and got on the subject of performance chips. he had two questions that i felt like i could answer, but had a hard time actually doing it.

one is why do manufacturers not program the truck like that from the factory. all i could come up with was trans life and egts for diesels, and premium fuel for gas.

the other thing was how you get better mileage and better power. esp on the highway. anyone?

Seth
08-09-2006, 12:26 PM
come on - nothing?

jerryg79
08-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Good show they should've ended it when JB left though

uglyota
08-09-2006, 12:35 PM
longevity and emissions. Also, vehicles need to be idiotproof from the factory, as some idiot is bound to hammer down until he burns a piston if the vehicle will let him.

AggieTJ2007
08-09-2006, 12:45 PM
oh, and the increased fuel mileage and more power don't necceassrily come at the same time

DRAGOONRANCH
08-09-2006, 01:21 PM
The tight emission standards are the main reason for this if I understand right. The "eye dee ten tango" proofing probably comes in a close second. And don't fool your self if they only engineer something to last 30, 60, or 80,000 miles. They make tons of dough on the parts and repairs, and why would any one want a new truck if the old one was still running hard and strong 15 years down the road. ;)

DRAGOONRANCH
08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
crap, I just read eric's post. oh well. POST PAD

Chadnutz
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Emissions.

Advanced timing in diesels increase NOx output and more fuel increases particulate. The engines are detuned from the factory to meet emissions requirements and for no other reason. Anyone who wants to hop up their 2007 and later diesels will be SOL because the DPF will be clogging up with soot far too often. Good thing they have enough power from the factory as it is these days...

I don't know enough about gas engines to talk about the negative effects of chips on them...