PDA

View Full Version : single plane intake?

mudtoy67
08-09-2006, 08:32 AM
I've been keeping my eye out for any parts I might need whenever I decide to start working on that 77 F250 I've got, and I found a guy with a pretty good deal on an edelbrock streetmaster 4bbl intake for the Ford 400ci. The thing is it's a single plane intake. Do ya'll think a single plane intake would be the wrong thing for this truck to be used in the mud and rocks? I don't plan on doing much to the engine besides putting a 4bbl intake on and maybe some cheap headers, so I'm thinking the single plane may not be worth installing.

fbronco86
08-09-2006, 08:42 AM
I've been keeping my eye out for any parts I might need whenever I decide to start working on that 77 F250 I've got, and I found a guy with a pretty good deal on an edelbrock streetmaster 4bbl intake for the Ford 400ci. The thing is it's a single plane intake. Do ya'll think a single plane intake would be the wrong thing for this truck to be used in the mud and rocks? I don't plan on doing much to the engine besides putting a 4bbl intake on and maybe some cheap headers, so I'm thinking the single plane may not be worth installing.

I would start with taking that 400 POS out.

Whats wrong with the motorcraft 2150 carb on that truck. They are sweet carbs.

mudtoy67
08-09-2006, 09:03 AM
I would start with taking that 400 POS out.

Whats wrong with the motorcraft 2150 carb on that truck. They are sweet carbs.

I would love to stuff another engine in there, but that's a lot further down the line.

But on another note....I have seen some people actually build the Ford 400 to put out some good power, but again that costs a lot of money like swapping an engine does. For now I'm just thinking about getting it running and wheeling it since it already has a trans, tcase, complete rear axle, wiring, steering, a/c (needs a compressor), and wipers...

and the cruiser doesn't :laughing:

StevenAg03
08-09-2006, 09:17 AM
i thought the title of this thread was "SINGLE PLANE TICKET"...

once i started reading the thread, i thought what in the hell does a single plane ticket and a carburator have in common :confused2 :gigem:

Fredo
08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Jesus vs. Wolverton

BMFScout
08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
now Fred is pulling out the "Alex Estep" stories!!!

Fredo
08-09-2006, 10:06 AM
well, just for Wolverton.

agjohn02
08-09-2006, 03:25 PM
i wouldnt bother. stick with whatevers on it unless it a 2bbl. a single plane will hurt it down low where it has its power now. a single plane and big 4bbl will feel weaker than the 2bbl thats on it now.

fbronco86
08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
i wouldnt bother. stick with whatevers on it unless it a 2bbl. a single plane will hurt it down low where it has its power now. a single plane and big 4bbl will feel weaker than the 2bbl thats on it now.

I personally dont like the M or the FE motors from ford. They are great for low end power on the other hand but they are really crappy on fuel. I would pull that carb off and clean it up and let it ride.

That motorcraft 2150 or the autolite 2100 pretty much the same carb ford used during this time. Its a 600cfm 2 barrel carb. Its does ok for a 2 barrel. They are great offroad as well. Also its a simple carb to work on. The only thing I dont like about them are the mixture screws. They are kinda hard to get too.

If you wanna change the motor later I would not waste the time putting on a 4 barrel.

sasquatch
08-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I personally dont like the M or the FE motors from ford. They are great for low end power on the other hand but they are really crappy on fuel. I would pull that carb off and clean it up and let it ride.

mines not to bad on fuel. i have a 360

KrazyKarl02
08-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Why do people do this? Its like hotrodding a chevy 305, yeah sure you can do all this crap to it, but at the end of the day a 350, or in your case 302 or 351 will be way better and more economical. If you want a carbed 302 I have one, complete intake to oil pan.

Also single plane manifolds are made for single operating conditions, I would avoid it. Like Mike said the motorcraft 2bbl ain't bad for a carb.

mudtoy67
08-10-2006, 08:02 AM
I figured the single plane wasn't a good idea. I also looked on ebay and there's a lot of dual plane Performers for cheap also. I'm just keeping my eye out for parts whenever I see something, in case I decide to work on that truck instead of the FJ.

I'm not trying to hot rod that motor. I know that it's just not a engine known for horsepower. It's a "big truck" engine, it's meant to let the transmission and rear end gearing do all the work. I just figure if I do get to wanting to wheel this thing a 4bbl carb and maybe some cheap headers might help out in the power department. That'd be as far as I went with engine mods. I may not even mess with removing the Motorcraft carb since ya'll are saying it's not all that bad. I thought I had always heard it was a complete piece of junk.