PDA

View Full Version : plasma cutter

CRaSHnBuRN
09-06-2006, 03:12 PM
dumb question here, but how smoothly does a plasma cut metal? Meaning is it a clean cut (requiring only a little cleanup with a grinder), or like something you normally get with a torch? (yeah I've seen some amazing stuff done with a torch, but on average most torch cuts are rough)

All I have as far as cutting tools right now is a sawzall and a fawked up chopsaw. I was thinking of getting a bandsaw/table saw in order to do nicer and more complicated cuts for brackets and stuff, but eric showed me some plasmas that were more in my price range than what I've seen before. But someone up here at school was telling me not to expect much better than torch type cuts, even from a good plasma.

mudtoy67
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Plasma in general will give you a nicer cut more easily than with an oxyfuel torch (unless, like you mentioned, your torch skills already border on wizardry). There will also be less heat generated in the material (good where warping is a concern). But if you can't hold a steady hand then your cuts will still look bad.

CRaSHnBuRN
09-06-2006, 03:24 PM
you can get some kinda wheel thing (standoff?) for the plasma, that helps with the steadiness, right?

CJ4
09-06-2006, 03:40 PM
yeah it just looks like training wheels on the tip

eight
09-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Learn to use a torch, it's really not that hard. Just have to keep the tip clean, and use the smallest tip available for most things. The plasma won't give a noticably cleaner cut, it comes down to how good you can hold and guide it. I prefer the torch because it is longer which gives me better controll, the plasma is more like trying to draw with a pencil holding it from the butt end. The cheap plasma you would get probably wouldn't cut much over 1/4" thick, while the normal small torch with the tip it comes with can cut 2" if you want it to, its slow, but it works. Also can heat stuff with the torch and not the plasma, and you can cut welds out much easier, like if you were removing perches from an axle. If you plan on cutting alot of sheetmetal thinner than 14 ga the plasma is good, if not, its not worth it.

agjohn02
09-06-2006, 04:24 PM
plasmas cut like my my all time best torch cuts every time. very little slag boogers hanging off. if you want a straight edge you need a straight edge to drag against. they show every little wiggle since they are less forgiving than a torch. ive never used the training wheels. ill have to find a set for brandons plasma and see how they do.

personally i dont like them for anything other than straight cuts on sheetmetal. we freehanded a ton of compound shapes on aluminum sheet for floorpates at the wind tunnel and it always required clean-up with a grinder to get a smooth edge.

mudtoy67
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
personally i dont like them for anything other than straight cuts on sheetmetal. we freehanded a ton of compound shapes on aluminum sheet for floorpates at the wind tunnel and it always required clean-up with a grinder to get a smooth edge.

I've noticed that problem with aluminum also. For some reason plasma cutters don't seem to cut aluminum very consistently.

AggieTJ2007
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
plasmas are nice because they will cut anything that conducts electricity, while a torch can only cut steel. Both will cut as smooth it just depends on your skill, plasmas are easier for most people to cut with especially if you get a drag tip, its like the training wheels except looks like a normal tip.

I have only used a plasma once because I had to cut some stainless but I perfer the torch. Plus if you get a torch set up you can heat things and weld with it.

oxy fuel welding works good for sheetmetal

DRAGOONRANCH
09-06-2006, 06:15 PM
I would much prefer the plasma to the torch as the gas (compressed air) is cheaper, tips are cheaper, you don't have to light it then set it then wait for the metal to heat to start cutting, you just hit the trigger and go. I could always cut cleaner and faster in most situations with the plasma, but that was before this 3 yr. dry spell here in the desert (will have to try to correct that when I come home this time ;) ). There are situations where the trusty ol' rusted nut buster just can't be beat though.

Chadnutz
09-06-2006, 07:50 PM
If I had to have one, I'd take the torch because it is more versatile, but a plasma cutter will cut MUCH nicer than a torch unless you've been using the torch professionally for a while. I wouldn't buy anything less than a 240 V plasma cutter either. I used a Lincoln 110V and it sucked. Miller 2050 is fawking $$, but who has $2,000 to spend on one?

One of my coworkers bought a CNC plastma cutting setup and he can make some incredibly nice signs, etc, with it.

Graystroke
09-06-2006, 08:02 PM
what are the CNC's running that hold your hand held plasma cutter and runs the programs off windows? I thought they were pretty cheap for torches...I'm wondering if they're the same for plasma's

davido
09-06-2006, 08:17 PM
$3k.

Chadnutz
09-06-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't know. I think he spent a lot more on his rig, but there is def. money to be made in it. Low cost of materials and really neat product.

Doug Krebs
09-06-2006, 10:16 PM
they aren't hard to build if you're not being a jew about it. You could build a really nice cnc table for 1500

Graystroke
09-06-2006, 10:37 PM
The torch ones are cheap

agjohn02
09-06-2006, 10:43 PM
they aren't hard to build if you're not being a jew about it.

:laughing:

thats the second time tonight i have heard doug refer to someone else as a jew

robertf03
09-06-2006, 10:50 PM
they aren't hard to build if you're not being a jew about it. You could build a really nice cnc table for 1500

are you talking about actually making one from scratch, or is there some kit?

seems like there would be some microcontroller programming involved which would make it hard for most.

agjohn02
09-06-2006, 10:51 PM
nah, search for logjam grant on pirate in the IH forum.

robertf03
09-06-2006, 10:53 PM

i've seen that a while ago, but don't remember what he did

so how would you control the stepper motors on the x and y axis without some sort of microcontroller?

agjohn02
09-06-2006, 10:54 PM
better yet, ill link it. this is a very long, entertaining read. somewhere in there he built his own CNC plasma table. this is what long, cold, dark winters will do to you...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157086

agjohn02
09-06-2006, 10:54 PM
he used a desktop or something

Doug Krebs
09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
you can either use steppers or servos, either will need a controller (drive). Steppers are the cheaper route, which are fine for plasma's since they have no force put on them. Most people use servo's geared down for cnc routers for their power.

You can find free program's to control the drives.

If anyone is really interested I can give a couple links.

There are basically two parts tow cnc plasmas that are a pain. The drive system/controls and linear bearings of some sort.

My plan in the far future is to use rack and pinion for the x and y. If I decide on a z axis I'll use a short ball screw. I already have the servo's and I'd gear them down with a pulley before the rack and pinion.

Edit: there are comple drive systems with steppers/servos, drivers, and software.

robertf03
09-06-2006, 11:00 PM
well a desktop would still play a big part in the whole deal.

I've thought about attempting it and I'd have the desktop converting the generic tool path to whatever info I need for the cnc table and serial linked to a microprocessor (atmel of some sort) controling the stepper motor interfaces and handling all the zero settings.

too many projects already

AggieTJ2007
09-07-2006, 12:08 AM
you can make a pattern torch real easy and its a poor mans CNC

CRaSHnBuRN
09-07-2006, 07:51 AM
okay, the one I'm looking at is the Mitech one listed in this thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458533 Yeah, i know its a cheapy, and maybe not as good as a name brand one, but even so, people seem to like it, and for around 500 on ebay, its hard to beat. I don't know, I may give it a try. As for the torch vs plasma thing, if I need a torch, just about everyone seems to have one, so I can borrow one of those if need be.

Graystroke
09-07-2006, 08:51 AM
torches are cheap...I got mine for free. I did smoe work on his car and he worked commercial construction and they were replacing all of theirs. It's a victor 200 series. You can rent the bottles (the big ones) from Bryan Welding on 2818 for $9 a month. This was the route I went b/c I was graduating in less than a year and it was one less thing to move..I had plenty already!

mudtoy67
09-07-2006, 09:30 AM

Look in General4x4 forum also. He does some crazy stuff. Did you see his battery charger powered welder booster? :gigem:

CRaSHnBuRN
09-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Grant is a nutcase. On the alaska 4x4 network they have thier own special section of the forum for the crazy stuff he creates

jerryg79
09-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Grant is a nutcase. On the alaska 4x4 network they have thier own special section of the forum for the crazy stuff he creates

He's not nearly as crazy as steve, that guy makes tig welders out of aluminum foil on the Nebraska Offroad Site.

DRAGOONRANCH
09-24-2006, 05:00 PM
He's not nearly as crazy as steve, that guy makes tig welders out of aluminum foil on the Nebraska Offroad Site.

Yeah, well Jimmy's uncle has a pocket knife :flipoff2:

Anybody come across good deals on these things? I have been contemplatin one for a while but don't have access to my research right now.

CRaSHnBuRN
09-24-2006, 11:31 PM
do you want a quality name brand one, or a cheaper one? Like I said, the one I was looking at is available for $425 on ebay

DRAGOONRANCH
09-25-2006, 11:04 AM
that is the big question right now, as I need to buy some cow calf pairs pretty quick while the prices are down... this may have to wait a little while longer as I prefer to get something a little more mainstream. I tend to do lots of metal work on the ranch and have had many times that I would have used one.

BTW, what is the working capacity of the ebay one? cut/sever

uglyota
09-25-2006, 06:09 PM
the pirate thread has pics of cuts through 1/2" with the 40amp

DRAGOONRANCH
09-25-2006, 06:47 PM
I have looked at that thread, but I have slept since then. I will go check it out, thanks.

CRaSHnBuRN
10-10-2006, 02:19 AM
Ed, if you haven't ordered yet, parker is having a sale on theirs on ebay. They seem to be the best of the cheap plasmas, and they have a pretty damned good warranty and history of customer service

DRAGOONRANCH
10-10-2006, 02:49 AM
thanks

fbronco86
10-10-2006, 07:30 AM
I would just get a old school track torch.