PDA

View Full Version : Plans for the blazer over Christmas

Doug Krebs
10-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Ok, so i've been wanting to make the blazer a flat bed for a while. I've tried to think of ways to do this without making it look like a total pile or .... So i started thinking i could cut the bed off right behind the tail lights and then weld it back on right behind the door. So it would look like a pickup cab, kinda. Then make something out of the old top that would enclose it, because it still has to be my daily driver until i graduate AND get a job. I was discussing this with rex and he said a guy had done this sort of thing and sent me the link. Blazer Flatbed (http://community.webshots.com/album/51383378VDfbfe) So this is kinda what i want to do. What do ya'll think???? Is it nasty??? - Doug

Cajun
10-18-2002, 06:48 PM
I dig the ride in the link. I say go for it!

mark
10-18-2002, 08:37 PM
Why not just repace the body with a pickup cab?

-Mark

Cajun
10-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Because that's not kustom!

:D

BlackDog
10-21-2002, 01:29 PM
The pics of the other blazer looked good . . . except for having the tail lights up next to the cab as aforementioned in this thread. And then what are you gonna do with a tailgate there? I say just do it . . . and if you need any help let me know as I will be here most of the break. And maybe it will give me ideas on what I want to do to mine next. And if you are lucky Doug I will bring your girlfriend . . . haha!

Doug Krebs
10-21-2002, 02:41 PM
OH MY YES!!!! Now i have something to lust over.

redcagepatrol
10-21-2002, 02:47 PM
Doug, isn't there something better to waste your time with on that truck? cage? crawler box? coilovers? something???

robertf03
10-21-2002, 02:52 PM
I think should tear it apart and keep only the unreliable parts, then build a rockbuggy out of them ;)

Cajun
10-21-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
I think should tear it apart and keep only the unreliable parts, then build a rockbuggy out of them ;)

Or, he could just buy your 5...

:flipoff2:

BigRedFord04
10-21-2002, 05:27 PM
krebs, you goofy bastard, you worry me

Jackasic
10-21-2002, 05:57 PM
personaly, I think it looks like ass. You allready have a "sport utility", what would it gain you? Afterwards, it would be less practical and more front heavy, but I guess each to there own.

What are you going to do for a rear window? After you are done, it is going be a tuck without the bed, abit with a shorter wheel base.

If it is something you like, then go for it and ignore what I have said. If it is for more practical reasons (haul more stuff, better clearance) I think you will be missing your mark and will end up unhappy.

From that perspective, you should seriously consider the truck cab. Then, at least, you can always put you body back on and it will unhacked to boot. Also, I think you will miss the convertable aspects of you current setup.

But what do I know:D

Spears
Currently driving a topless/doorless Scout II in the rain.

Cajun
10-21-2002, 09:57 PM
Brandon...You, much like myself, have no room to talk about practical or lightweight vehicles. We're building Scouts:rolleyes:

Myself especially. What did I do with my heavy IH engine? I ditched it in favor of a heavier Ford engine! Now that's intelligent!:D

BlackDog
10-21-2002, 10:04 PM
I hate to diverge from the topic at hand, but in regards to Jackasic have you ever heard, "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." No one was asking for a functional analysis of the project as I am sure Doug has his own reasons. And in regards to you stating "But what do I know" . . . apparently you only now how to give your two cents on everything that nobody would care to hear in the first place.

Fredo
10-21-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by BlackDog
I hate to diverge from the topic at hand, but in regards to Jackasic have you ever heard, "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." No one was asking for a functional analysis of the project as I am sure Doug has his own reasons. And in regards to you stating "But what do I know" . . . apparently you only now how to give your two cents on everything that nobody would care to hear in the first place.

Or, Brandon could have done like you just did. Be a newbie with 5 posts on the board and come off as a total d*ck. Nicely done. :rolleyes:

Jackasic
10-21-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by BlackDog

Great some 5 post newbie thinks he is the master of all knowledge :rolleyes: When you have been around awhile, seen a few things, and ... who knows maybe actually have gone wheeling, then you can pipe off to me. Till then, you are some know-nothing who probably does not deserve the respect this post offers.

BTW, jackleg, Krabs did ask for opinions so I broke down different points to my argument and his, while providing different solution and potential problem. You input on the other hand, provided nothing other than to show that, yes - you are another ignorant noob.

When you have some seat time, come back. Till then keep to reading since you obviously have not grasped the finer points of social interaction. While your at it, go pick a copy of How To Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Evidently there is more you need to learn at TAMU other than your course work.

Jackasic
10-21-2002, 10:22 PM
damit Brune, i was spell checking and you beat me to the punch:D

Jackasic
10-21-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Cajun
Brandon...You, much like myself, have no room to talk about practical or lightweight vehicles. We're building Scouts:rolleyes:

Myself especially. What did I do with my heavy IH engine? I ditched it in favor of a heavier Ford engine! Now that's intelligent!:D

tell me about practical, I took the doors off for the Gilmer run. I ended up driving up in the rain, but it was a blast anyway:D

I kept my motor so I would not get too much lift from my SkyJerker springs :flipoff2: I maybe heavy but at least it is extremely efficient in converting gas into noise.

Cajun
10-21-2002, 10:33 PM
That's the best reason I've EVER heard for keeping an IH motor. Well, keeping it in the vehicle at least. "Yeah, that's it, I NEED the weight!":D

Speaking of IH front end weight, why the fawk did they feel the need to hold the fenders/inner fenders/grille together with well over 19,000 bolts?

It may be a bit presumptuous on my part considering he only has 5 posts, but I'd like to nominate our friend Mr. Blackdog for the...(drumroll)...

crawlingno5
10-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Great some 5 post newbie thinks he is the master of all knowledge When you have been around awhile, seen a few things, and ... who knows maybe actually have gone wheeling, then you can pipe off to me.

When did the amount of posts somehow correspond to the amount of knowledge you have of off-roading?

Jackasic
10-21-2002, 10:50 PM
why so many bolts, one word ... union shop. O.K. maybe that's two:rolleyes: besides they were built in Canada. All in all, it keeps with the IH moto "Overbuilt and underpowered".

So is this like the lauded ROTM, can I secound the nomination?

robertf03
10-21-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by crawlingno5

When did the amount of posts somehow correspond to the amount of knowledge you have of off-roading?

POR mentality.

I gotta go with Thaxton on this one. calling people newbies and playing "I got the most posts" is gay. but what do I know

Jackasic
10-21-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by crawlingno5

That is not the question; it is the fact that he has no report with others and myself. That is what limits him from having a useful input.

An example would be yourself; I have known you for two+ years and understand your perspective. Do I agree with it, maybe not, but at least there is a basis for our conversation.

But some guy I have met once at your place, trying to bust my chops with some fortune cookie quote is not going to happen. If he had been around awhile he would know how to read intent in posts and the inference they suggested.

This is the general problem with American society today. Everyone feels that it is their constitutional right to be listened to and that everyone is on the same level (the constitution guarantees you the right to speech, not to be heard). Sorry to inform you, but just like when you were a kid, you have to earn your right to sit at the adult’s table. Or maybe that is the problem; his parents actually thought he had something worthwhile to add as a child, thus giving him a false sense of self worth and importance.

Doug Krebs
10-21-2002, 11:32 PM
anyways........................................... .... the "bed" part of the blazer is getting pretty nasty. It's got holes in it that are just starting to rust through, so it's either patch them, replace the whole floor, or chop it off. Hopefully, when i would get done with the cab part it would look decent and still be convertible. The reason for not putting a cab onto it is because that costs money. I could probably find one for cheap, but this is only going to cost me a couple bucks in steel. I think i would take out the lights and just make it smooth. I can't say what i would do for a bed, because i'd have to take the existing bed off, and see what i have to work with, and what height i would want it at, etc... Also, i want to put the tank up higher (maybe on the bed part) and chop of the frame right behind the leaf spring mounts to get a better departure angle. So with that said, now what do ya'll think?

froader03
10-21-2002, 11:40 PM
LMFAO

that's about the dumbest **** I've heard in awhile.

despite the fact that the counterintuitive nature of your futile debates with anyone who will take part in them are cute to an extent, you have more than overstepped the boundry with someone who has been in the club, wheeled with the club, has a more capable trail vehicle than you and as far as the comment on Tommy's parents goes... ***... holy ****. Tommy, can Brandon please come over when your dad comes this weekend?

http://www.imperialmotorsports.com/otpics/Arguing%20Over%20The%20Internet.jpg

davido
10-21-2002, 11:56 PM
I vote do what you want. But you may find that the "cool factor" may wear off and you'll be left driving a hacked up peice of poo to work for the first year. Or maybe worse yet, to interviews.

If you're asking what I would do, given hind sight, this is it: I would stick with what you have for another year. Scott has a good point. Work on things that matter. Mostly, HAVE FUN with it for the next year. Then when you get out and you can afford a better daily driver. Hack that thing into the GM version of Gov't Mule. Plus, that way you don't run the risk of missing all of the next semester because you get burned out on a big project that doesn't quite come back together.

I'll end with this....

I would trade all of that crap in the garage to have the past three years back, wheeling a beater Sami on 33s, having fun.

~dso

froader03
10-21-2002, 11:57 PM
***... sorry, doug. I don't think you're gettin' a whole lotta help here.

froader03
10-22-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by davido
I would trade all of that crap in the garage to have the past three years back, wheeling a beater Sami on 33s, having fun.

oh, c'mon, dave. sure, you say that now, but you'll be singing a different tune the first time you take that beast to competition. :D

davido
10-22-2002, 12:07 AM
Truth be told, the company has shot the last two years more than anything else. Even if I had something, I wouldn't have been able to get away all that much more than the weekends that I've just ridden along. But I'd still rather be posting pics of trail runs, than ****ty little baby steps of weekend progress.

~dso

Jackasic
10-22-2002, 12:09 AM
Doug,

I would keep it as it is for now and wait till you graduate. You might consider some sort of hybrid where you keep the inner tub and upper rails. that would allow you to keep you stuff inside and still clearance the outside. You could cut off the outer skin and fab in outline via tubeing. I don't think you are not going to like it when you have cut it to crap and there is no going back.

Jason,

going to have to quote Cajun on that one :yawn:. BTW, get some original pics you post hore:D

Cajun
10-22-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Jackasic
BTW, get some original pics you post hore:D

But what is original in this day and age, I ask you? Hasn't everything already been done or said by someone before?;)

Edit: Sorry Doug, I think your thread has been officially hijacked. BTW I still dig the rig pictured, but DavidO's "interview" point is definitely one to think about. Also, your "convertible" comment got me thinking...Whenever you do this, (again going with DavidO on the "Gov't Mule" thing) why not fab up a M-715-esque bed? I think that would be cool.

mark
10-22-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by davido
But I'd still rather be posting pics of trail runs, than ****ty little baby steps of weekend progress.

~dso

I resent that!:D BTW: Doug, do what you want. Take the body off and mount the seat to the frame. Light weight, original (if you don't count Junkyard Wars) covertable. Just buy an old beater for the days that it rains. I hear that Davido has a Honda for sale.

-Mark

Chadnutz
10-22-2002, 10:19 AM
If you are going to make fun of other people's typos, you damn well better spell check your own.

"his parents actually thought he had something worth wile to add as a child, thus giving him a false sense of self worth and importance."

You ****ing prick. ;)

Krawler68
10-22-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by froader03

oh, c'mon, dave. sure, you say that now, but you'll be singing a different tune the first time you take that beast to competition. :D

You kidding? None of us are ever going to be able to compete in our rigs... everything we make is about 50% heavier than it should be for those things... but we may have some seriously kick ass Texas trail rigs... and we may be able to spank ass recreationally.

I'd rather be strong and durable than light and have to rebuild every season.

Hack that bitch up Doug.... but do it next year.

Jackasic
10-22-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz
If you are going to make fun of other people's typos, you damn well better spell check your own.

DOH

My bitch slap back fired:D Damn Dyslexia is my foible.

It is not so much spell check, as a grammar check that I need:rolleyes:

froader03
10-22-2002, 03:03 PM
who give's a rat's ass if you ride a horse to a job interview? can't say that I personally know any companies that will have someone waiting in the parking lot to see if the applicant has bobbed/flatbedded/whateverTF their ugly ass K5 and take that into consideration for capability of filling an employment position.

doug, do whatever you want with the beast and just start dating a girl with a nice ride so you can borrow it if you ever feel the need.

Seth
10-22-2002, 03:42 PM
Well i would read one thing and think i was gonna reply with something only to read a couple more posts and then change it all up. Whatever you do Doug I would think about it for awhile before you do it and when you get to the point that you KNOW what you want for sure go for it. I will leave the whole other debate alone for the time being...don't know that saying anything would do any good. worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it doesnt get you anywhere.
Seth

BMFScout
10-22-2002, 05:19 PM
That is a large amount of sheet metal work to pull off right, ask Busa about making it look smooth, it isn't easy, and Filler can only do so much...