PDA

View Full Version : PTO U-joints

DRAGOONRANCH
09-28-2006, 07:22 AM
At what speeds does the yokes not being lined up start causing trouble. I have a fuel truck here with a drive shaft that has been grenading u-joints monthly. I don't know if its the quality, or just a hard angle that is doing it, but we are having hell. They only run the truck at idle when running it, so it is not seeing regular highway speeds.

mudtoy67
09-28-2006, 07:48 AM
That angle doesn't look that bad. I've certainly seen PTO shafts running at more severe angle for long periods. Check the yoke and make sure they are not deformed after putting in so many joints. Also investigate what your driving with the shaft and make sure there is not something wrong with it causing extra drive load on the shaft.

fbronco86
09-28-2006, 08:24 AM
That angle doesn't look that bad. I've certainly seen PTO shafts running at more severe angle for long periods. Check the yoke and make sure they are not deformed after putting in so many joints. Also investigate what your driving with the shaft and make sure there is not something wrong with it causing extra drive load on the shaft.

I am with BDR check the yoke

AggieTJ2007
09-28-2006, 11:15 AM
are they breaking or just burning up. if they are breaking then it is probably overload on the shaft,

If they burn up then it is probably the yokes

junior88mj
10-02-2006, 04:55 PM
check that both yokes are in phaze with each other not twisted

DRAGOONRANCH
10-02-2006, 09:53 PM
everything seems to be fine, i will try to get a better picture of the angle they are at. They are in phase atleast. I am beginning to think that they are just not big enough to handle the load, I just never thought that the diesel pump would take that much to turn it