PDA

View Full Version : re-cut splines?

redcagepatrol
10-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Who can re-cut axleshaft splines?

I need to shorten a shaft. from my narrowed D60

Moser will do it for $65. Anyone closer or cheaper?

Doug Krebs
10-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Who can re-cut axleshaft splines?

I need to shorten a shaft. from my narrowed D60

Moser will do it for $65. Anyone closer or cheaper?

Damn, they are that cheap?

I was going to buy the tool to do it, but it's $150...

redcagepatrol
10-16-2006, 10:45 PM
I looked up a few places on the web:
Dutchman - $55, in Portland OR
Currie - $120 pair, in CA

BMFScout
10-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Don't you have a cut-off tool? I've got a pretty steady hand...

Reckless
10-16-2006, 11:10 PM
chop saw!!

agjohn02
10-16-2006, 11:20 PM
I looked up a few places on the web:
Dutchman - $55, in Portland OR
Currie - $120 pair, in CA

id say thats hard to beat. splines are pretty technical and finding someone that even knows the terminology isnt easy. id have them do it.

CRaSHnBuRN
10-16-2006, 11:51 PM
chop saw!!

rat tail file!

but really, those are pretty good prices. The only other places I could think of would be D.D. Machine on pirate (the guy who built creightons doubler) or the guy who does all the cryoing (66cjdean or something like that)

agjohn02
10-17-2006, 12:01 AM
what about techniques? do they both cut? any of them roll splines? that would be better.

fbronco86
10-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Damn, they are that cheap?

I was going to buy the tool to do it, but it's $150...

Big Mike has all the tools you need to do that job. Just put the right angle chuck on the mill and hold the shaft and mill the splines in. The one right angle chuck has set postions on it. So you can turn it at certain degrees.

I really think the splines are broached from the factory.

tigweld
10-17-2006, 07:17 AM
what about techniques? do they both cut? any of them roll splines? that would be better.

I don't think you would roll splines on a previosly heat treated or work hardened axle. the machine to roll splines must be ungodly expensive, because u will be hard pressed to find any machine shop with one. I have used both currie and mosier for resplining, I think mosier does a better job the axles I had currie respline looked like they had been whacked of with a chop saw ragged edges and chatter mark's on the splines, I was not impressed.

Doug Krebs
10-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Big Mike has all the tools you need to do that job. Just put the right angle chuck on the mill and hold the shaft and mill the splines in. The one right angle chuck has set postions on it. So you can turn it at certain degrees.

I really think the splines are broached from the factory.

Yes and no.

I know how to do it with the indexing head and the little wheels. Problem is he only has HSS cutters. If I was making a new shaft out of annealed material it wouldn't be a big deal. Trying to use the HSS on my shaft would cook it on the first touch. The shaft is ~60Rc.

So, the tool I need is $150 which can hold ceramic inserts.

BMFScout
10-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Trying to use the HSS on my shaft would cook it on the first touch.

:rainbow:

fbronco86
10-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Yes and no.

I know how to do it with the indexing head and the little wheels. Problem is he only has HSS cutters. If I was making a new shaft out of annealed material it wouldn't be a big deal. Trying to use the HSS on my shaft would cook it on the first touch. The shaft is ~60Rc.

So, the tool I need is $150 which can hold ceramic inserts.

I did not know the shafts were that hard.

You cound anneal it, machine it, and then harden it.

Doug Krebs
10-17-2006, 02:06 PM
I did not know the shafts were that hard.

You cound anneal it, machine it, and then harden it.

I'm worried about warping and tolerances. I have no experience in dealing with how much the dimensions will change, so I'd rather just do it the way other people do.

I'd probably have to buy and new cutter anyways as they one mike has is dull.

fbronco86
10-17-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm worried about warping and tolerances. I have no experience in dealing with how much the dimensions will change, so I'd rather just do it the way other people do.

I'd probably have to buy and new cutter anyways as they one mike has is dull.

I would just pay to have someone else do the work much easier.

agjohn02
10-17-2006, 03:53 PM
we've been over this before, but i will repeat it. i have done both preheat treat and post heat treat spline cutting. probably a total of 8 different shafts. pre treat is of course easier, but post is possible. it wears your tool out faster and the spline profile changes as you wear the tool.

getting the correct spline profile might be a challenge in itself. i got engineering blueprints from the manufacturer of the differential and it still didnt have all the specs i needed on the splines. it took lots of phonecalls before i found what i needed.

take it from someone who is confident in cutting splines, i wouldnt even do my own if i had the choice of outsourcing it. i had no option on the ones i did. no one does splines for a zexel differentials out of an audi awd transmission for a custom fsae racecar drivetrain.

i would let someone who has a hobb do it and get it over with.
http://www.stak4x4.com/movie/input%20splines_0001.wmv

redcagepatrol
10-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I got the email from UPS this morning that my package was received. Around lunchtime, Moser called, said they had the shaft, verified that I wanted 5.5" cut down, took my CC# and said it would be done and shipped out by Wednesday. I should have it early next week.

The $65 includes shipping I guess!

Great service from Moser, :gigem: