PDA

View Full Version : porta band

CRaSHnBuRN
10-18-2006, 08:58 AM
who here as one of those handheld bandsaws, and how much do you use it? I need something that can cut cleaner and do more complicated cuts than a chopsaw can. This is for building brackets and stuff like that. I wanted to get a plasma, but I think its simply beyond my price range at the moment, so I think I may get a bandsaw and a torch instead.

fbronco86
10-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Why does everyone want a plasma? It takes the same amount of skill to cut with a plasma as does a torch.

Porta Bands are cool kinda big to handle sometimes. I use a cut off tool and a torch.

BMFScout
10-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey Flem, how long would it have taken/how clean would it have been if you hadn't had a plasma last night to make those sliders? I agree, they can't do everything, but they sure are nice when you need them.

bburris
10-18-2006, 09:43 AM
My buddy, Paul, in Corpus has a really old Milwaukee Port-A-Band that works really well. It makes cutting brackets and such out a whole lot easier, and it's really easy to handle. I'm wishing I still had easy access to it because I need to cut my magnesium runflats down now that my garage is cleared out, but there's no way I'm spending $300 on a good one...

We did use it a whole lot on stuff until he got a plasma in the shop. It made building all of my suspension junk a whole lot easier.

bburris
10-18-2006, 09:46 AM
OK, I lie. You can get one for less than Lowe's wants...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-6232-6-Portaband-Saw-NEW-w-case-band-6230_W0QQitemZ130036492819QQihZ003QQcategoryZ42296 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tigweld
10-18-2006, 09:49 AM
even a porta band is kinda expensive. I think everyone wants a plasma because they have never learned how to get a good cutting flame from the torch. learn how to set the flame right and people will be amazed at your plasma like flame cuts, u will be suprised how good u can flame cut once u know how to use a torch correctly.

BMFScout
10-18-2006, 09:58 AM
'tis true, St. John is the Charlie Daniels of the big red wrench, I seen it.

CRaSHnBuRN
10-18-2006, 09:59 AM
if you search pirate, you can find a 20% off coupon for harbor freight. Use it on this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6608 and you can get a good porta band pretty cheap. I may go that route, or just go really cheap and get one of the harbor freight cheapies with a warranty. Granted, it may be a POS, but I'll just have it replaced everytime it burns up, like I do with my grinders, and other tools

agjohn02
10-18-2006, 10:45 AM
the only thing i would replace my torch and grinder with for making that sort of thing is a verticle band saw.

agjohn02
10-18-2006, 10:47 AM
'tis true, St. John is the Charlie Daniels of the big red wrench, I seen it.

its not hard. granted, this isnt the best but its all i could find a picture of. like ryan said, just learn how to use it.

fbronco86
10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
the only thing i would replace my torch and grinder with for making that sort of thing is a verticle band saw.

Verticle bandsaws are sweet.

fbronco86
10-18-2006, 11:00 AM

I am just gonna get krebs to build me a cnc torch :gigem:

Doug Krebs
10-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I am just gonna get krebs to build me a cnc torch :gigem:

you could do it for the price of a plasma. I've seen a couple people do it with very good results. They even have a valve controlling the oxygen, with preheat times programmed in.

I hope you weren't giving me **** to get me stirred up :flipoff2:

fbronco86
10-18-2006, 11:23 AM
you could do it for the price of a plasma. I've seen a couple people do it with very good results. They even have a valve controlling the oxygen, with preheat times programmed in.

I hope you weren't giving me **** to get me stirred up :flipoff2:

I really think a track torch would be alot better for us. Just draw your parts fullsize and let the eye follow the drawing.

We have a track torch in canada its so easy to cut custom parts that I need for the shop on it. I just draw it up and I am done.

Doug Krebs
10-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I really think a track torch would be alot better for us. Just draw your parts fullsize and let the eye follow the drawing.

We have a track torch in canada its so easy to cut custom parts that I need for the shop on it. I just draw it up and I am done.

How much is a track torch? How would it differ from CNC other than the input? Agreed if it's the input part of the process you don't want to deal with. However, if your going through the process of drawing it on a CAD system, might as well have a CNC if they cost the same.

Doug Krebs
10-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Is this what you are talking about mikey? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ESAB-Oxweld-Linde-Track-Burner-Torch-with-18-New-Track_W0QQitemZ320038051393QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6705 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I think that one just follows a straight path. Or does the torch move on a perpendicular axis some how?

DRAGOONRANCH
10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Is this what you are talking about mikey? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ESAB-Oxweld-Linde-Track-Burner-Torch-with-18-New-Track_W0QQitemZ320038051393QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6705 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Yeah, this one only runs straight. You can adjust it as it is running with the small knob on top. They are great for long straight cuts, but a steady hand and a long heavy torch can get it done lots faster due to the little setup time. I cant see paying 1300 for a straight line cut.

AggieTJ2007
10-18-2006, 12:04 PM
the key is strait line cuts w/ a precise bevel

eight
10-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Mike's got his words wrong. Track torches cut down a straight line, and run on a track. I know what he's talking about but not sure of the right word. It may be called a trace torch or a pattern torch. It follows lines drawn. It's what they had before cnc pattern torches.

That what you found there is a track torch doug.

That's a ****ty cut there john. Got all that **** hanging down from it. That's what happens when you cut too slow, oxygen pressure is not enough, or cutting too hot. I'd say you got a combination of most of those. With a good cut if there is any of that it can just be knocked off quickly with a file or just another piece of plate, no grinder necessary. I think your torch might suck, it didn't seem to cut very clean when I used it. Not that it was dirty or anything wrong with it, I think it just might suck.

My little brother bought a combination vertical/horizontal band saw. I like it. Takes about a minute to switch from one to another, gotta remove or install the little table for cutting in the vertical position. I'll probably buy it from him in a while. He used it when he built wakeboard tower speaker cans but doesn't do that anymore.

agjohn02
10-18-2006, 08:21 PM
That's a ****ty cut there john. Got all that **** hanging down from it. That's what happens when you cut too slow, oxygen pressure is not enough, or cutting too hot. I'd say you got a combination of most of those. With a good cut if there is any of that it can just be knocked off quickly with a file or just another piece of plate, no grinder necessary. I think your torch might suck, it didn't seem to cut very clean when I used it. Not that it was dirty or anything wrong with it, I think it just might suck.

edited for non-public content... no comment

ive been waiting for a good opportunity to do this:

i rest my case.

agjohn02
10-18-2006, 08:37 PM
... you can point and shoot in the dark and still capture crap. its like filming bats coming out of a cave.

Reckless
10-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Pollock doesnt count, too cheap to make it pretty.

eight
10-18-2006, 09:59 PM
OK John chip all that slag off. I've posted pics of the same type of stuff before. Your cuts still suck. I was just giving you some tips and even said I think it is the torch. I could grind the **** out of everything like people who don't get **** done would. I was thinkin I might let you stay. I want you out by the 1st.

eight
10-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Look at the clean torch work on those brackets. I grind for fitment only.

Shaggy
10-24-2006, 12:17 PM
I have used a torch a hell of a lot and a plazma cutter only the one time... but I am much better with the torch. Given the only time I used the plazma i had almost no torch experience I might be good at the plazma now. All i am saying as you can do anything with a torch and grinder that you can do with a plazma

uglyota
10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
OK John chip all that slag off. I've posted pics of the same type of stuff before. Your cuts still suck. I was just giving you some tips and even said I think it is the torch. I could grind the **** out of everything like people who don't get **** done would. I was thinkin I might let you stay. I want you out by the 1st.
If I buy you guys some boxing gloves can I sell tickets?

Reckless
10-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Ill be the ringmaster