PDA

View Full Version : cutting cleanly with a torch

CRaSHnBuRN
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM
this is to keep my other thread from getting off the subject.

What are the tricks for getting clean cuts from a torch, other than just practice. I've seen a guy cut 1 inch plate so clean it looked like he used a saw, yet I've seen uys who have used torches for years be able to make nothing but horrible cuts. So there has got to more to it than just practice and a steady hand

fbronco86
10-18-2006, 10:30 AM
this is to keep my other thread from getting off the subject.

What are the tricks for getting clean cuts from a torch, other than just practice. I've seen a guy cut 1 inch plate so clean it looked like he used a saw, yet I've seen uys who have used torches for years be able to make nothing but horrible cuts. So there has got to more to it than just practice and a steady hand

Like st john said having the right flame is important also using the right tip.

CRaSHnBuRN
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
well, what would be the right kinda tip/flame? I've never torched a thing in my life, so info on this kinda stuff is what I'm looking for.

agjohn02
10-18-2006, 10:51 AM
did frank not teach you how to set a flame in prices welding class lab? or have you taken it?

CRaSHnBuRN
10-18-2006, 11:07 AM
next semester

AggieTJ2007
10-18-2006, 11:22 AM
its really easy to set the torch right. First you have to get your pressures right for the tip you are using. Victor has a cutting handbook which is free and shows you the pressures.

Second you turn on the acetylene and light, adjust the acetylene untill it just stops smoking.

Third turn on oxygen untill the cone barely disapeer, hit cutting oxygen and adjust preheat oxygen untill the cone goes away and you get nice smooth tips, not too pointed though

When cutting if you cut as fast as you can but not going to fast you will get the smoothest cut

eight
10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
So your acetelyn stops smoking?

The main problem I see with people getting crappy cuts is that they try to move too fast. Must take it easy. Also, crappy cutters will dirty a tip fast and tend to never clean it. You must have a clean tip to make a clean cut. Another problem would be that the person sucks.

AggieTJ2007
10-18-2006, 12:05 PM
ide have to show you how I do it

DRAGOONRANCH
10-18-2006, 12:12 PM
rusty material, your body position. I like to wear a regular leather work glove on my left hand (the one I rest the torch on) and place a welding glove under it while cutting. A good set of clean cutting goggles is a must also to see the chalk line and not be seeing floaties for the next hour or so. There are lots of variables that make or break a good cut. Torch time and some guidance are what it takes for most people.

Doug Krebs
10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I have an oxy propane setup, mainly because I got the propane bottle for free.

Anyone want to come over and show me how to properly "tune it". I've been cutting with a torch for a couple of years, but apparently it's craptastic. I wouldn't mine making cleaner cuts, that have less grinding time.

P.S. Karl before you leave, snag me some smaller tips for the torch. I only have ones for thick steal, which is part of the problem!

eight
10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Yea for most stuff it's best to just use the smallest tip. I need to cut some pieces to brace up my track bar mounts more. Maybe I'll come use your torch.

DRAGOONRANCH
10-18-2006, 02:52 PM
see if this helps

DRAGOONRANCH
10-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Remember too, a nice small light torch can be your worst enemy. The general purpose victor torch is nice and light for your average do-it yourselfer who might get tired at the end of the day holding it. They do make larger ones, I had a ST2630FC model. It was about 36" from thread to head and was heavy enough to "absorb" your shaking hand. Kind of like a bull barrell on a target rifle, the extra weight helps to steady it. It being that long, you could make 2'+ of cuts with out stopping to move your hands. This thing will be on my christmas list pretty quick.

DRAGOONRANCH
10-18-2006, 03:01 PM
One could be had for around 300 I am guessing. (https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/enlarge.pl?main/Victor/0381-1480.gif:ST+2600F)

mudtoy67
10-18-2006, 03:07 PM
When I worked at the tractor dealer the professional welder there used a piece of angle turned on its diagonal with a small piece of strap welded to it. He would rest his hand on the angle and use the strap to guide the torch when doing straight cuts. I've done this and also just used a plain piece of angle and had good results when I do straight cuts. Also, I agree with Ed, I've had easier times making clean cuts when using a heavier torch.

DRAGOONRANCH
10-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Here are a few used ones on ebay that may go cheap.

one (http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-HEAVY-DUTY-CUTTING-TORCH-BRASS-STAINLESS-USED_W0QQitemZ170039155157QQihZ007QQcategoryZ67059 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

two (http://cgi.ebay.com/Victor-Cutting-Torch-Complete-setup-The-Bigger-Sized-1_W0QQitemZ280039233951QQihZ018QQcategoryZ67057QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

three (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Victor-ST2600FC-cutting-torch-head-with-NEW-tip_W0QQitemZ220038864600QQihZ012QQcategoryZ67059Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) -this one is new, but if it doesn't go up much would be a good investment. These things take a pretty good beating.

sasquatch
10-18-2006, 03:34 PM
When I worked at the tractor dealer the professional welder there used a piece of angle turned on its diagonal with a small piece of strap welded to it. He would rest his hand on the angle and use the strap to guide the torch when doing straight cuts. I've done this and also just used a plain piece of angle and had good results when I do straight cuts. Also, I agree with Ed, I've had easier times making clean cuts when using a heavier torch.

thats a good idea for steadying your hand, which is my problem

eight
10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Yea a guide is good for straight cuts. I use the 00 for most things, I've even cut 1" with it, but you can tell its not great.

AggieTJ2007
10-18-2006, 03:59 PM
I have an oxy propane setup, mainly because I got the propane bottle for free.

Anyone want to come over and show me how to properly "tune it". I've been cutting with a torch for a couple of years, but apparently it's craptastic. I wouldn't mine making cleaner cuts, that have less grinding time.

P.S. Karl before you leave, snag me some smaller tips for the torch. I only have ones for thick steal, which is part of the problem!

Make sure the tip that you get is for a propane

CRaSHnBuRN
10-18-2006, 04:38 PM
around this time of year every year Brazos valley welding supply runs a pretty good deal on some torches. I may go have a talk with them. Most of the stuff I do is going to be .25 or thinner right now, so I guess I'll get a 00 tip

tigweld
10-18-2006, 05:11 PM
look for victor brand, good stuff, service on rebuilds and parts is pretty good too

CRaSHnBuRN
10-18-2006, 06:02 PM
the stuff they normally sell for good prices is made by victor and uses victor parts and stuff

DRAGOONRANCH
10-23-2006, 12:05 PM
I got to doing a little thinking while I was fitting on the bbq pit last night. Here are a few more tips for you.

Wrap the hose around your forearm when cutting, it gets the hose up off the metal so you are not having to drag the hose and just generaly steadys the torch.

If you go get new hose, keep the old one and cut about 3-4' off of it so that the hose at the torch will be a little more flexible. If you use barb fittings and hose clamps, then every time you get new hose you can just reuse the fittings.

redcagepatrol
10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
1) buy a plasma cutter
2) clamp on a piece of flat plate next to your cut
3) drag plasma cutter tip up against flat plate for straight line

results - straight and clean cut

uglyota
10-23-2006, 09:43 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425148&highlight=torch
good thread on pirate...searched using your account. You have a PM :flipoff2:

uglyota
10-29-2007, 11:38 AM
so my setup (of questionable origin) doesn't work worth a damn. I light it, start adding O2, and as I get close to having it adjusted right it starts popping rapidfire, more oxygen more popping, and it goes out before it's adjusted correctly. This is with a #1 tip, oxygen at 40psi and acy at 7. I understand the popping is caused by insufficient gas flow that creates ignition inside the tip, could my 02 regulator just not be flowing enough gas? Acetylene seems to flow smoothly, as much or as little as I want. What else could cause this?

agjohn02
10-29-2007, 11:45 AM
dirty tip

edit: oh wait, was 40 psi a typo?

Doug Krebs
10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
so my setup (of questionable origin) doesn't work worth a damn. I light it, start adding O2, and as I get close to having it adjusted right it starts popping rapidfire, more oxygen more popping, and it goes out before it's adjusted correctly. This is with a #1 tip, oxygen at 40psi and acy at 7. I understand the popping is caused by insufficient gas flow that creates ignition inside the tip, could my 02 regulator just not be flowing enough gas? Acetylene seems to flow smoothly, as much or as little as I want. What else could cause this?

How thick of material are you cutting?

uglyota
10-29-2007, 01:51 PM
How thick of material are you cutting?
didn't cut shiat. never could get a decent flame without it popping out. Reading back through this thread I see that I need a smaller tip (cutting 3/16") but I still think I should be able to get a good flame, the regulators I have are huge old victors. The oxy one though is particularly beat up though. Also in the pirate thread I saw that someone said to adjust your pressures while the gas was flowing, and I could not get the oxy to maintain pressure while it was flowing.

colman
10-29-2007, 02:01 PM
the guage may need a rebuild, i had one done for 55 i think last year

eight
10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Your torch is probably leaking where the head connects to the barrel. Sometimes you can fix it with new seals. Most times the seat is messed up making the torch scrap metal. You can get the seat resurfaced but that costs about what a new torch kit does. The bottles are the expensive part anyway.

uglyota
10-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Sweet, well at least it was free.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-17-2007, 11:05 AM
a bad seat of the tip or head, or just a dirty tip.

I run 30-35 oxy and 13 act. for what it's worth. Creighton will disagree but a little adjustment either way and it cuts great.

AggieTJ2007
11-17-2007, 04:25 PM
too much acet, but oxygen is more important

Anyways, I was wondering if you were alive ED