PDA

View Full Version : jeep warranty?

aggie06stud
10-21-2002, 11:50 PM
my cherokee is still under warranty :(, and i was wondering if anyone knew if i could put a 3" factory lift on it without voiding the warranty. i want the extra clearance, but if it will void the warranty then i can wait. thank.

-josh b

bburris
10-22-2002, 12:24 AM
You won't void your warranty with a lift as long as you don't do extensive mods along with it. A longarm lift might affect a warranty also. The dealership has to prove that the lift caused the problem or that abuse caused it in order to refuse warranty service. Since you have a Jeep, I think Bluebonnet in Navasota is supposed to be one of the better dealerships in the area as far as warranty work goes. Bossier seems to try to refuse a lot and if not they have always been bitches to me, so that's reason enough for me to not go anymore. I think Lissa got a lot of warranty stuff done to her Jeep at Bluebonnet after she took it and broke it in Alto a couple years ago. I think it was probably pretty obvious that it had been waaay off the beaten path and Bossier told her that she wasn't covered.

aggie06stud
10-22-2002, 01:57 AM
great thanks. do you know roughly were it is in navasota?

bburris
10-22-2002, 02:11 AM
off Highway 6, I believe

aggie06stud
10-22-2002, 02:36 AM
cool. you wouldn't happen to know what size tires i can run with that 3" lift and no trim on the fenders would you? i'm thinkin 31's but i'm not sure.

uglyota
10-22-2002, 11:17 AM
we put a 3 1/2" Rancho on my buddy's xj and it fit 31s perfectly. Just get new rear springs...add-a-leafs suck
But it's still just a grocery getter. Go all out and get one of those bad-ass 6" systems with rear coils so you can fit 33"s, that way when you end up doing it anyway in the future, you won't have wasted that $500 on the 3".

Cody_91YJ
10-22-2002, 11:24 AM
yea what he said...do it right the first time so you don't waste your money, if you want bigger then 31s, dont go 3" now, wait and go all out

lissa
10-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Bossier Blows
the first time i went to bluebonnet they were really cool and did all this stuff to the engine under warrenty, but when i went back about a year later because of exhaust problems(that all jeeps have wether they have been offroad or not) i told them that there was a crack in the manifold and that i needed a new one. They wanted to charge me something like 800 bucks to replace it when i (i mean jimmy)told them what i thought about that they said i still owed them $30 for looking at it, even though i (i mean jimmy) had already told them what was wrong with it.

Cody_91YJ
10-22-2002, 12:00 PM
lmao I had the exact same problem this summer. Except I was quoted 1k to 1200 for a new manifold. So I just slapped a header on

lissa
10-22-2002, 01:12 PM
i just want to post more so i can change my title

aggie06stud
10-22-2002, 02:05 PM
here's the thing though, the lift that i have that i want to put on is stamped by the factory. does that make a difference, or can i go with a rancho? cause i would rather have 4" or 5" over a three anyday.

would y'all suggest discount tire for the best deals on 31"s?

Ben97XJ
10-23-2002, 03:05 AM
Discount is good because of the warranty. Or even better do like I did and find some good used ones hopfully with certs from discount. Keep in mind you will have to deal with driveline problems about about 3 inches. SYE are about $500.

BigRedFord04
10-23-2002, 03:20 AM
all y'all XJ people should cut your fenders and buy some real tires...and definately do it from discount....37"s are where its at...my next set is gonna cost $31 each....gawd bless road hazard :D :D :D :D :D

this was the guy's @ Ho'Reillys in Gilmer that helped me out a bunch

Ben97XJ
10-23-2002, 03:22 AM
Its not the cutting of Fenders I am hesitant about its the heavy price tag for new gears and if not then the heavy price tag from crappy gas mileage.

aggie06stud
10-23-2002, 03:30 AM
wait. i have to swap my gears too?

Ben97XJ
10-23-2002, 03:32 AM
31"s will be fine that what I am running but only get 15 mpg on the highway. When I go to 33" I will get new gears. Don't worry.

BigRedFord04
10-23-2002, 03:32 AM
holy sh¡t i hope you're kidding!!

Ben97XJ
10-23-2002, 03:33 AM
about what

aggie06stud
10-23-2002, 03:42 AM
i hadn't even though about swapping gears yet. i have no money! i need a job, this sucks.

Ben97XJ
10-23-2002, 03:49 AM
Don't worry about gears you are so far from gears.

aggie06stud
10-23-2002, 07:39 AM
that's what i thought, i just couldn't figure out if you meant for yourself? or if you meant me? it didn't make sense for me to have to change out my gears yet, after all 3" isn't that much.

mark
10-23-2002, 07:39 AM
Back to the warranty thing, if you want your warranty honored, don't do anything to your Jeep. Wheteher the warranty is honored is up to the discression of the service writers and managers. Once they say "no" there is little you can do about it.

For instance, the power steering pressure switch on the Golden Bubble had become inoperative due to a broken wire. Despite the 100,000 mile extended warranty, I was told that the broken wire was not a warranty issue because it looked like it had been damaged due to "impact." "Impact with what?" I asked, noting the inaccessable location of the wire. "Its been damaged by impact" was the response in a tone of "I'm the technician here, what the hell do you know?"

This is becomming a round story, so I'll get to the point. The dealer simply decides on a whim whether your expesive warranty will be made good. Don't give him any additional excuses to say no. Otherwise modify your Jeep and simply consider your warranty void.

-Mark
'98 Chrysler Concorde "The Golden Bubble"

'85 CJ-7 "Norm"

bigFAWKINranger
10-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by aggie06stud
that's what i thought, i just couldn't figure out if you meant for yourself? or if you meant me? it didn't make sense for me to have to change out my gears yet, after all 3" isn't that much.

ummm... dude, i hate to patronize, but you DO realize that LIFT has no effect on gear ratio whatsoever... its tire size that needs consideration.
warranties are gay. i don't trust dealerships bc i work at one. save your skrilla, buy a 6" ProCrap lift and some cheap a$$ 33s. fawk some 31s, and double fawk 3" lift.

BigRedFord04
10-28-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by bigFAWKINranger
save your skrilla, buy a 6" ProCrap lift and some cheap a$$ 33s. fawk some 31s, and double fawk 3" lift.
2nd that

Wait a little longer and buy more cool stuff. Once you have 33"s you're going to want to go bigger anyway, no sense in regearing twice. Save a little longer, maybe wait 'til the summer...6" lift, new gears, cut the fenders, 35"s....if you've got the extra $$ might think about swappin' in an 8.8" or a pair o' 44s before you buy gears. The right exploder 8.8" will come w/ rear discs and its an easy swap :D :D :D