PDA

View Full Version : Body Work and Job

Seth
10-22-2002, 03:58 PM
I got the parts to repair my truck over the weekend. New fender, headlight, hood, and filler/stonedeflector/valence (they called it all three at some point in time) for a grand total of 270 bucks.

Problem number one is that I have no experience doing body work at all. So if anyone has any suggestions, experience, or could lend me a hand at any point in time, it would be greatly appreciated and some form of small payment could prob be arranged.

Problem number 2 is that the parts are maroon and my truck is white. I want to paint them and have a few alternatives. I coudl paint them before they are even ever on the body or I could put them on and paint them then. I could spray the whole truck with a cheap maaco job but I really don't see that happening. So does anyone have a spray gun that could help me spray these parts? Jimmy? I also have a friend back home that might be able to help me out if it comes down to it. I can drive a kustom 2 tone til Thanksgiving. ***.

Lastly, I need to get the headlight fixed pretty soon as I have been pulled over for it 3 times so far.

Also I need to pull the pipe bumper out some more. So far I have thought of hooking a chain against something and pulling with the truck, or using a highlift between the truck and something solid. Anyone have any other ideas that I am not thinking of at all?

Thanks
Seth

uglyota
10-22-2002, 05:43 PM
First of all, do you have to do any actual body work, or just get your new parts to bolt on and line up?
I've bashed on sh!t with a hammer until the bolt holes lined up, but that's about it. I would definitely paint everything BEFORE putting it on to keep rust at bay (primer won't stop rust indefinitely). I can probably borrow a paint gun thisweekend if you want (My rig needs a 'little' painting as well...when you see it you'll understand).
Cheap paint jobs don't last long. Wait until you run into a hook-up and have it done right.
Depending on how fudup the headlight mounting stuff is, I've rigged up headlights temporarily just to make them legal before. You should do that until you get around to the real fix.
As for the bumper, I'd try something more like anchoring your truck down (4x4 in gear+ebrake+blocks+whatever) then using some kind of controlled method (comealong, hilift in pull mode) to pull the bumper out. Just envision yourself using a little too much gas and ripping the whole gig off.
That's my take on the deal. I'd be glad to help if you want.

Seth
10-22-2002, 08:21 PM
The parts already have maroon paint from whatever truck they came from...i am def leaning towards painting them before hand.....maybe run around town with no fender for a little while...anyone know where to buy some ford white automotive paint?? how much? damn...mo money.

uglyota
10-23-2002, 08:05 AM
two words
Dupli-color!