PDA

View Full Version : d300 shift rail q

colman
11-10-2006, 01:12 AM
i need to get the shift rails out of my t-case so i can finish the 4:1 swap and they dont want to come out, i think ive got all of the detents out but am not sure. the repair manual says that i need a special tool but i don't know for shure. the housing is off of the x-fercase and out so i can see everything prety easy. i would beat the hell out of it but don't want to crack the alluminum housing. anyone know how to get these out?

robertf03
11-10-2006, 01:22 AM
its been a while, but I think I had to knock the shiite out of them. why do you need to remove the rails for the 4:1? If you loosen the forks and slide the shift bracket/bearing retainer off then its out of your way.

colman
11-10-2006, 01:34 AM
the intermediate gear is to large and it will hit the stock shaft so they supply a new one that has been machined, plus i'm already this far and have new seals so i'm putting them in as well

AggieTJ2007
11-10-2006, 02:02 AM
you have to remove a set screw on each of the rails that holds the forks on them, then beat the **** out of them

agjohn02
11-10-2006, 03:06 AM
i remember no special tools. give me couple of days and ill tell you for sure.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-10-2006, 06:41 AM
so I take it the rebuild kit arrived :)

colman
11-10-2006, 11:03 AM
then i will try the bfh method this afternoon and hopefully have the jeep back together before dark. atleast the drivetrain

agjohn02
11-10-2006, 03:00 PM
so I take it the rebuild kit arrived :)

yep, everything's here.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-10-2006, 03:13 PM
I owe you a bottle for this, thanks again mang...

[/snake off]

agjohn02
11-11-2006, 08:15 PM
once you get the front cover off and the shift rails are still in it, put a screwdriver or the like through the bolt holes on the rail, twist 90 degrees and pull. keep your eye out for the ball bearings when they go flying.

edit: theres not really any trick to it. just play with it till you get it apart. you're not going to tear anything up in there. there are two detent rods that are between the shift rods and keep you from shifting into hi-front and rear-low or vice versa. there are two detent balls that keep the case in the selected range and prevent it from jumping out of gear. play with the position of one rod until you can twist the other and pull it out, then the other will come out easily. label them when you get them out or you'll have a hard time putting them back in. they are different. you may need to pull the 4wd indicator light switch but i dont think so.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-11-2006, 09:03 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/DRAGOONRANCH/GIFS/chairfall.gifhttp://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/DRAGOONRANCH/GIFS/chairfall.gifhttp://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/DRAGOONRANCH/GIFS/chairfall.gif

Aw ****, wait a minute.... you didnt dick it up did you????

agjohn02
11-12-2006, 01:36 AM
what? no they are spring loaded detent balls. they're supposed to shoot out:flipoff2:

colman
11-12-2006, 02:30 AM
yea so i got it all apart and back together except those ****ing rods again, i hav ethe rails started on the housing but can't get it back together. ive beat the **** out of it and now i can't get it to slide in i about threw it off a cliff. i can;t stand this someone please come over and finish this for me cause i never get mad or frustrated and i am right now

agjohn02
11-12-2006, 10:22 PM
it all about the order of operation putting them back together.

push both detent rods toward the driver's side. use a flathead screwdriver to compress the detent springs with the ball bearing in place. use it like a lever sticking it in from the side. dont try to push them straight down. put the front shift rod in first(the one furthest from you when its in the vehicle) from the front, put it in neutral where both of the detent rods can slide over toward it. then slide the rear shift rod in and you got it.