PDA

View Full Version : brakes

froader03
10-22-2002, 05:24 PM
somebody shout me a holler on experiences (good and bad) with lifetime brake parts... companies, vendors, websites, whatever. to some extent lifetime is lifetime, but I'm not gonna go half-ass for some vatozone pads that I'll have to replace every year and argue with some boob to get new ones. I maintain my brakes regularly, but am not easy on them during driving (road or trail). so I'm looking for k-wal-i-tee and a reputable customer service record.

Hensel

stinger7401
10-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Hey Hensel,

I'm glad someone in this club is actually learning that a little extra money spent will buy you a lot less problems. My parents have had shops in S.A. for 27 years and love it every time someone bitches about how we want to charge them 140 bones for a starter with instalation and they rave about how the "Vatozone" "lifetime" (definition: 2 days) starter is only $35. Well needless to say it never fails, three weeks and 4 starters later they come back and pay the money! End of rant!

Back to your question, Bendix Metalics are the best and then AC Delco's run a close second.

Jackasic
10-22-2002, 07:13 PM
BTW, lifetime does not include wear. It is just for the stabilty and wholeness of the pad. Basicly they will all wear, just that some promiss not to dissove in water.

For rotors, I am not sure what they mean, but they don't gaurentte that they won't were out. Once again it was my understanding that they were assuring that the rotor wouldn't melt the first you used them.

Conclution: buy the life time from NAPA or O'riellys. Thay will wear eventually, but will provide better service and last longer.

if you are realy a freak get your rotors here : Frozen Rotors (http://www.frozenrotors.com)

Chadnutz
10-22-2002, 07:51 PM
I put HoReily special lifetime warranty brake pads on my friend's Mazda. His brakes has sqealed like a mofo ever since. I only use Bendix at my dad's request and they come with their own anti-sqeak pads with each set. His did not. They give the pads away because they are so cheap that they make more off of you buying some brake parts cleaner and Scott towels than off the damn pads. Spend the little bit extra and get good pads.

I am always willing to give my money to the company that make the "good ****". It isn't always best to find the cheapest parts / tools. That is the main reason that the swap has taken me so long. I hold high standards for my truck and won't settle for less. Some people bitch about that attitude, but it is my toy, and more importantly, my daily driver. I am going to chunk the change for the All-Pro kit much to the dismay of members of the club. This is my logic....

Total cost for kit: $1750

What I NEED that the kit includes:
Steering - I currently have one steering arm. I can't use stock toy steering. Price when buying steering alone - $550
Shocks - Price alone ~ $90 (ranchos) kit comes with Bilstiens
Springs - Price alone - $300 - Sprinds are important for flex so quality is important
Rotors Price alone ~ $130/ Need to replace old ones. These are better. Brakes are important.
Wheel Spacers Price alone - $130
U-Bolts ~ Price alone $70

Now I'm up to $1270 and I still dont have shackles, hanger, brake lines, steering stablizer. bump stops and shock hoops.

I'd save at most $300 but their **** is better than what I can make and I could waste my time working/studying while they mass produce it rather than have to worry about the dimensions and me making them myself.

What a tangent.

BigRedFord04
10-22-2002, 10:28 PM
when i did my axle swap i used BrakeBest pads on the new axle...after like a month the shims had broken off all 4 pads so i upgraded to Wagner pads which have shims made into the pads. They're really good pads. I'll also agree that Bendix makes good stuff. I've never had much problem warrantying parts, b.c., although the warranty is against defect, not wear...if somehow the pad (or shoe) is "mysteriously" cracked when it gets to the store, they have to warranty it. on rotors, it'd be hard to do, but if you get the stuff @ O'Reillys get the good ones. the difference is made in china and made in USA...the chinese ones we've had a lot of people come back in and complain about them warping.

StevenAg03
10-22-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Jackasic
BTW, lifetime does not include wear.

oh i beg to differ with you here....everytime my dad has changed pads or shoes on any of the 7-8 cars at the house over the past few years, we take them to autozone for free replacements.....the brakes wore out so they replaced them....