PDA

View Full Version : gears

CRaSHnBuRN
11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
where is everyone getting thier gears from? I PMed a couple of places on pirate, and for the gears, master kits, and carriers, I'm looking at nearly 800 bucks! I mean damn, thats not even including lockers or anything

DRAGOONRANCH
11-30-2006, 02:52 PM
randy's ring and pinion seems to be the goto place.

JeepPhisherman
11-30-2006, 03:02 PM
PORC in georgia, they beat my other quoted prices by 5%

fbronco86
11-30-2006, 03:22 PM
I would get a beater set of gears off ebay. For the front axle who cares what you put in there.

stx4wheeler
11-30-2006, 04:26 PM
cause he prolly needs a really low ratio to help the tiny motor turn the 40 inch tires.

8Runner
11-30-2006, 07:18 PM
I use 4wheel parts in Austin. They still discount for TAMOR.

8Runner
11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
and they warranty the setup of new stuff

CRaSHnBuRN
12-01-2006, 12:18 PM
PORC is the place qouting me 800 bucks. The guy selling aussie lockers on pirate (machinewave) beat him by about 100 bucks at this point. I haven't seen the gearing I need on ebay yet (5.89s), and rarely see any gears for the D70 there. I'll be setting these up myself. As for 4wps and Randy's, both are quite a bit higher on prices at this point (haven't started trying to get them to beat the others prices yet)

Shaggy
12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
randy's

JeepPhisherman
12-04-2006, 05:41 PM
PORC is the place qouting me 800 bucks. The guy selling aussie lockers on pirate (machinewave) beat him by about 100 bucks at this point. I haven't seen the gearing I need on ebay yet (5.89s), and rarely see any gears for the D70 there. I'll be setting these up myself. As for 4wps and Randy's, both are quite a bit higher on prices at this point (haven't started trying to get them to beat the others prices yet)

Call them back and let them know what you've been quoted. I got a quote from PORC, then Sky, then went back to PORC and they lowered theirs and offered me free shipping.

CRaSHnBuRN
12-04-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm gonna do the phone tag thing on wednesday and see what I can come up with. I'm still waiting to see if DC on pirate can get me a quote. They have 1/2 ton stuff for less than 400 bucks for the gear and masters shipped, and say thier 1 ton stuff is just a little more. One place quoted me over $950 :eek: Its amazing though to see the differences. For example I've seen the carrier go from 60 to 100 bucks. So if I get one place to match all the lowest costs given from different vendors, I think I may get the price down a bunch

CRaSHnBuRN
12-04-2006, 06:12 PM
btw, is there really any difference between running a spool in front versus being welded? I'm gonna be running hydro assist anyway. I mean, for the cost of a carrier, i could spend a little more and just get a spool and save the trouble of welding it up. I know I would go that route in the rear if there was a spool available for the D70

eight
12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Just use the stock 4.10s and put a real motor in it.

Sharpe
12-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Dude...welding a diff is a ghetto spool. If the price difference is negligible after its all said and done deffinately get a spool.

stx4wheeler
12-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Dude...welding a diff is a ghetto spool. If the price difference is negligible after its all said and done deffinately get a spool.

I would weld it, when done right your not gonna have any problems breaking it. The only thing i see where his case would be different from most or mine is since he already has to get a new front carrier. so a spool would be a option costing from around 60-100 bucks more for the full spool versus just the new carrier.

I thought about spooling mine since i had to setup gears, but when faced with the 160 dollar plus price tag i went with welding. Granted this was partially also due to that i am running 4.10s and have a good amount of spare carriers, spiders, and gears for both my alxes.

if it is only gonna cost 50 or so more to spool i would spool if more i would weld.

eight
12-05-2006, 04:04 AM
Put the spool in it, then give me your side gears.

CRaSHnBuRN
12-09-2006, 06:22 AM
Okay, the reason my gears cost so much is once you pass 5.38s, you are getting OEM spicer gears, not aftermarket. And apparently you cannot get 5.38s for the D70. So I could have got a cheaper deal dropping down to 5.13s, but with 40s the power would suck, so I spent the cash and went with 6.17s.

agjohn02
12-09-2006, 06:50 AM
still a DD???

CRaSHnBuRN
12-09-2006, 08:57 AM
still planning on it though it seems to have taken on a mind of its own. The 6.17s seem steep, but I ran 5.29s with 35s in my old truck, and it was gutless. I figured with 40s, 5.89s would be the minimum, and decided to give up a little more top end power for more low end stuff since I rarely sustain speeds of over 50mph here in town anyway

eight
12-09-2006, 07:07 PM
That may seem like a low gear, but isn't the engine still only spinning about 3000 at 70 with the overdrive?

CRaSHnBuRN
12-10-2006, 12:20 AM
yeah, in overdrive I will be spinning a hair over 3000 rpms with the 40 inch tires at 70 rpms. But like I said before, I don't always trust whats on paper. For example, it says if I ran 5.29s with the 40s, I would be at 2650 rpm, which seem just about perfect, yet in real world use the 5.29s were barely enough for the 35s. Plus the toy engines seem to work pretty well in the upper 2000 rpm range.

JB
12-10-2006, 12:41 AM
I got my gears through PORC on pirate several years ago and he was the cheapest. Also, I vote for an actual locker in the front, not welded or spooled......its not fun, ive done it, regreted it, and got a Detroit.

JeepPhisherman
12-10-2006, 01:22 AM
welded wiht lockouts?

CRaSHnBuRN
12-10-2006, 02:26 AM
welded wiht lockouts?

haha, yeah right. Remember, I'm running external hubs (superwinch in my case). I'm pretty sure I could break them just looking at them wrong. I'm only using them for very light wheeling, and for on the street. The rest of the time I'll be using the stock flanges.

As for the locker, I want one for the front and rear, but for the time being I will have to stick with the welded stuff because I have spent way to much money on parts as it is at the moment. I am considering waiting on welding the diffs up until after I get the SAS done and all the little bugs worked out and make sure the runner is road worthy. Then I'll weld the rear and maybe be able to afford a locker for the front. I'm waiting on the release of the aussie locker for the D60. If its substantially cheaper than the detriot, I may go that route

CRaSHnBuRN
12-10-2006, 02:31 AM
I got my gears through PORC on pirate several years ago and he was the cheapest. Also, I vote for an actual locker in the front, not welded or spooled......its not fun, ive done it, regreted it, and got a Detroit.

BTW, did you run hydro assist with the welded front? I ran a welded front in the old truck, with no hydro assist, and agree that in high traction stuff like mason, it sucked, but I hope the hydro assist and a turned up pump will help make it bearable

eight
12-10-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm waiting on the release of the aussie locker for the D60. If its substantially cheaper than the detriot, I may go that route

So this is in the works? When's it supposed to come out? Still about $200?

CRaSHnBuRN
12-10-2006, 11:57 AM
from what I've heard the D60 aussielocker is off the drawing table, and just waiting to be put into production. Granted, this has been said for the last month or so, but it sounds like it should be out in the next few months. As for the price, they haven't really said, but I'm hoping in the 200 to low 300 dollar range. The more I think about it, the more I am considering waiting on welding the front until it comes out, so I won't have to buy another carrier. I may go PM the guys on pirate to see if there is a release date yet

eight
12-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Tell me what you find out. I'm thinking I'd put one of those in one of my extra carriers in the front and just allways run the drive flanges.

JB
12-10-2006, 01:15 PM
BTW, did you run hydro assist with the welded front? I ran a welded front in the old truck, with no hydro assist, and agree that in high traction stuff like mason, it sucked, but I hope the hydro assist and a turned up pump will help make it bearable

no, I was not running hydro assist. Steering was obviously horrible, and that was just running 33s. It killed my pump after about 30 minutes of light wheeling. Personally, I would leave it open until I could get a locker, but its up to you.

CRaSHnBuRN
12-22-2006, 01:48 AM
Tell me what you find out. I'm thinking I'd put one of those in one of my extra carriers in the front and just allways run the drive flanges.

Got this response from aussielocker on pirate:

The Dana 60 35 spline Aussie Locker has been developed, fully tested and engineering has released the model to production. Special machining tools to handle the larger diameter steel were purchased and finally received in Australia from the German producer. We have ordered the first 100 units and we are just waiting on the factory to tell us when they will put this order in the manufacturing schedule. As soon as we have that date we will post and ETA here