PDA

View Full Version : Steering box rebuild/steering box tech/hydro steer

Doug Krebs
12-04-2006, 01:46 PM
As not to much up my other thread and make this more useful for future searches I started this thread.

First of my question is about the adjuster nut on the sector shaft. What does this affect? Preload? When I did the crossover I just took out the 4wd shaft and installed the 2wd shaft, I never touched this.

I just went out to the shed and got my old shaft/top plate. I've read to scribe a line from the nut to the top plate and then count the number turns when taking the nut off.

Also, is it specific to that top plate/shaft combination or is it box specific. i.e. when you swap sector shaft/top plates, do you need to readjust this for the new box. Or is this just the case when you actually remove the shaft from the top plate.

2nd Anyone have any tips for rebuilding the box? I found this website.

Scout box rebuild (http://www.jpeater.com/howto/steeringbox.htm)

3rd Anyone have pictures/instructions on tapping the top plate. Now that I have one in my hand, there is really only one place to tap it, but I'd like to see some info on it.

I've seen problems with tapping the lower cap as it's thin, anyone seen any issues with tapping the top plate?

Do I need a cooler and extra resevoir capacity? I have a large tranny cooler left over from the 700R4, but I don't want to complicate bleeding the system if I don't have too.

Anyone have serious problems when doing hydro assist? If I can get to it, it's going to be last minute. I guess if I get it done and it screws up the whole steering, I can just put plugs in the ports and forget about it.

Sharpe
12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
I have a cooler on pigpen's system, it wasnt any more trouble to bleed than normal. Mine is just a 2 row and came off a 90's chevy truck, my crewcab actually has the exact same one. It is deffinately worth doing, especially with hydro assist.

CRaSHnBuRN
12-04-2006, 02:02 PM
I think most people have problems with air in the system, or hooking up their hoses wrong. Just make sure you bleed it really good. When I did mine, it was really easy to setup, and I never had any real problems other than my reservior was to small and it caused fluid to leak out once everything warmed up and I really got on it

Doug Krebs
12-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Ha! Screw you people, I answer my own questions!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199827&highlight=sector+shaft+nut

fbronco86
12-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Dude quit clogging up our board with your dumb blazer crap :flipoff2:

That little screw on the top sets how deep the gears mesh with each other. My fords have a torque setting of like 15in pds I think. But I dont use that I just set them by feel.