PDA

View Full Version : Help welding gears

CRaSHnBuRN
12-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Anyone want to weld up my diffs for me the weekend or week after finals? I can offer beer in payment

fbronco86
12-09-2006, 09:09 AM
You need someone to hold your hand too

CRaSHnBuRN
12-09-2006, 09:57 AM
no, I need someone with a stick welder, and maybe some experience doing these things

redcagepatrol
12-09-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm good at it...

CRaSHnBuRN
12-10-2006, 12:22 AM
but would I need to run them up to houston to get them done? I'm gonna be there while everyone is gone for the clayton trip, but don't know if I'll have the time to do it after that. I guess if nothing else I can set the gears up and have them welded at a later time.

JeepPhisherman
12-10-2006, 01:21 AM
but would I need to run them up to houston to get them done? I'm gonna be there while everyone is gone for the clayton trip, but don't know if I'll have the time to do it after that. I guess if nothing else I can set the gears up and have them welded at a later time.

creighton recommended some kind of wire for the mig, like .040 shielded or something, might could try that?

CRaSHnBuRN
12-10-2006, 02:28 AM
everyone I know uses a stick for welding diffs. I've never seen someone use the mig. Where is creighton to explain his thoughts?

JeepPhisherman
12-10-2006, 03:16 AM
mabye it was wasomething else, i dont know, been drinking bombay all nihgt.

eight
12-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Just weld the **** out of it. I'd do it for you but I think my cracker box or my 7018 AC rods are having issues cause they're welding crappy. I think its the rods got too old and moistured because 6011s still weld good. Yea there are mig wires, probably a flux core, that will work well, but plenty people just use the good old whatever's in there and you don't see any broken as long as they're welded the **** out of.

RCcola55
12-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Just weld the **** out of it. I'd do it for you but I think my cracker box or my 7018 AC rods are having issues cause they're welding crappy. I think its the rods got too old and moistured because 6011s still weld good. Yea there are mig wires, probably a flux core, that will work well, but plenty people just use the good old whatever's in there and you don't see any broken as long as they're welded the **** out of.

perfect example.... just fill the thing up with weld!

agjohn02
12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
i have determined that a welded rear performs better in wet conditions on the road than a limited slip. my truck, even with its longer wheelbase is much squirrelier than the scout. it does recover rather easily though. makes it fun. people dont tailgate you when you get sideways in front of them. i have to pedal it taking off from a redlight to keep them from spinning also. whereas i dont with the scout near as much. i can see a locker being much worse as the transient between open and locked is much more abrupt. never driven one of those on the street.

robertf03
12-10-2006, 06:40 PM
everyone I know uses a stick for welding diffs. I've never seen someone use the mig. Where is creighton to explain his thoughts?

if you don't buy a good locker you're not going to buy a good welder, thats why you never see it MIG'd :flipoff2:

redcagepatrol
12-10-2006, 10:21 PM
just weld the crap out of it! I have used a mig for all fo mine - the more weld the better

eight
12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
You should see the one clark and frick welded. Couldn't tell there ever were any gears in there. I just put 3 passes of 1/8" 7018 in mine, which I though was alot. They did more like 15 passes of mig making the biggest beads they could get.

RCcola55
12-10-2006, 10:57 PM
You should see the one clark and frick welded. Couldn't tell there ever were any gears in there. I just put 3 passes of 1/8" 7018 in mine, which I though was alot. They did more like 15 passes of mig making the biggest beads they could get.

Yep... just melt the spiders together then weld that glob of metal to the carrier itself, no need to pre heat just take a break after a while to keep it from getting too hot.

AggieTJ2007
12-10-2006, 11:31 PM
just weld it. you could be fancy and use some .045 dual shield fluxcore or some 12018's but thats a little abouve your level

JeepPhisherman
12-11-2006, 12:10 AM
just weld it. you could be fancy and use some .045 dual shield fluxcore or some 12018's but thats a little abouve your level

BURN!

...?

CheapJeep
12-11-2006, 12:54 AM
When I welded my front 44 carrier back in hikeschool, I really didn't know what I was doing, I just researched what a welded diff was on pirate and went at it with my mig.... So far from the few trips I've wheeled it on it's held up great.... Now that welded inner shaft on the otherhand didn't fair so well. Neither did my hose clamped high pressure p.s. line...*** :rolleyes: