PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Duramax's

Sharpe
12-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Well my mom is fixing to give me her truck which is a '03 2500HD crewcab long bed with the 6.0L and every option except leather. Now, its a great truck, its only towed a trailer once in its entire life, and it only has ~90k miles on it. So overall its in great condition and I'm glad I'm getting it but I was thinking, with how much driving I do and towing especially, I could probably financially justify having a diesel. The 6.0 gets 12-13 mpg empty and I dont know what it gets towing, I imagine its similar to my current crewcab (98 with vortec 454) at 7-8 mpg. The mileage is obviously the main point of getting the d-max, but the extra power for towing would be great also. So I'm looking into trading it in for a d-max.

I havent looked into it too much, but what years are the best for the duramax's? I still need to look up the KBB value on the current truck and compare it to the diesels. Ideally I would like to find a straight up trade but I dont know if any used truck dealers do that at all. I would prefer a crewcab long bed with as many options as possible, but I know I will probably have to sacrifice something somewhere along the way to get close to an even trade. I do not want a high mileage truck though. I am ****ing sick of having used up hooker daily drivers that need **** replaced every damn week.

Finally, does anyone have any dealers they would recomend? There are plenty in Corpus, Houston and Dallas but having somewhere to start would be nice. Thanks

stx4wheeler
12-22-2006, 12:36 PM
trade both trucks and get something nice

bburris
12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Don't expect to get much more than $10K on trade-in, if you're lucky, for that '03. You'll get 11 mpg towing anything with that 6.0 - empty car hauler or a loaded gooseneck. It won't be a hot rod off the line when loaded, but it still gets up and hops on the highway. It isn't bad, but it sounds like you've Chadnutz'd this decision already.

fbronco86
12-22-2006, 12:49 PM
If you want good mileage I can sell yeah my furd diesel I am getting about 15.5mpg driving back and forth to worky. 65-70mph not to bad for a 92 with 4.10 gears.

fbronco86
12-22-2006, 12:53 PM
When I got my GMC there were just about giving dmax's away I think you could get a crew cab for about 26-27k.

I can hook you up with the internet sales lady I got my truck from. I got a pretty good deal on mine cause I made a few k when my truck got wrecked.

jerryg79
12-22-2006, 01:41 PM
When I got my GMC there were just about giving dmax's away I think you could get a crew cab for about 26-27k.

I find this pricing very hard to believe, maybe for a gasser i doubt you could get into a used one for that much.

Sharpe
12-22-2006, 01:46 PM
All the one's I've seen on ebay have been going for $25-30k. I might be able to convince mom to let me use the money from selling my current truck to help with the trade in, but I havent even pitched the trade in idea to her yet.

Why are crewcab short beds so damn popular. Am I the only person that wants a damn CC longbed these days?

jerryg79
12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
All the one's I've seen on ebay have been going for $25-30k. I might be able to convince mom to let me use the money from selling my current truck to help with the trade in, but I havent even pitched the trade in idea to her yet.

Why are crewcab short beds so damn popular. Am I the only person that wants a damn CC longbed these days?

Cause all the yuppies by them, I dont think GM is pumping out the long beds that much anymore, when I was looking used I dont think i found one long bed.

jerryg79
12-22-2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modelinfo_options.jsp?&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=598840&end_year=2007&make2=&address=77345&start_year=2005&fuel=&keywordsrep=&certified=&car_id=210644041&search_type=both&max_mileage=&body_code=32&drive=&min_price=&distance=25&engine=&body_style=TRUCKS&transmission=&make=GMC&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=&ref=srl&car_year=2007&car_year=2007&cardist=17&style_flag=2&doors=&advanced=&max_price=&vehicle_number=100710407&model=GMCC25PU&color=

That is a work truck no a/c, no bed, front bench, work truck for $42k MSRP, granted its an '07 but still I doubt they were giving them away at half price, if they were you should've bought 3.

sasquatch
12-22-2006, 02:23 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modelinfo_options.jsp?&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=598840&end_year=2007&make2=&address=77345&start_year=2005&fuel=&keywordsrep=&certified=&car_id=210644041&search_type=both&max_mileage=&body_code=32&drive=&min_price=&distance=25&engine=&body_style=TRUCKS&transmission=&make=GMC&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=&ref=srl&car_year=2007&car_year=2007&cardist=17&style_flag=2&doors=&advanced=&max_price=&vehicle_number=100710407&model=GMCC25PU&color=

That is a work truck no a/c, no bed, front bench, work truck for $42k MSRP, granted its an '07 but still I doubt they were giving them away at half price, if they were you should've bought 3.

i didn't know that you could get a GM truck these days with no a/c.

agjohn02
12-22-2006, 03:05 PM
You'll get 11 mpg towing anything with that 6.0 - empty car hauler or a loaded gooseneck.

:laughing: dont I wish...

i know a good dealer here in Mt Pleasant that I am good friends with.

ill PM you his e-mail address. i grew up with the guy and he was the 12th man from about '99-2001. andy knows him. luke anderson.

bburris
12-22-2006, 03:16 PM
:laughing: dont I wish...
I think I might have a little first-hand knowledge...

agjohn02
12-22-2006, 03:19 PM
me too?

CheapJeep
12-22-2006, 06:36 PM
2001-2002 is the LB7 engine, my mom has this one and it's awesome, I think it's rated at 300hp, 500ftlb. Allison 1000 5spd. The 03-04 are LLY engine's which got bumped up in power, the newest motor for the 05 and up is the LBZ which is rated at 380hp and 650ftlb. 6spd Allison trans.

On my mom's 01 the factory gave a notice that they would upgrade injectors for free, so I guess you could call it a recall. Other than that she really hasn't had any problems with it, we tow our gooseneck horsetrailer w/ living space just fine as well as flatbeds for hay/feed/etc... The turbo spools up quickly and throws you back in the seat way more than any stock ford or dodge I've ridden in. In stock form there's no comparison to the Duramax, some b!tch about the ifs and smooth ride but to each his own. I feel that Dodge and Ford make great work trucks but for a nice tow rig for lots of highway driving I'll take a DMax.

agjohn02
12-22-2006, 07:00 PM
yes, it was a recall on the '01 injectors. they have a tendency to fill the crankcase with diesel.

DRAGOONRANCH
12-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I am in the market for a Dmax myself, but have to sell the ford first. I will be looking for a new cc dually though (a direct replacement for the ford but w/ the 6spd manual). Let me know who you end up talkin to, I have a few places to start and would prefer to go local for service reasons, but as always, cash talks.

Graystroke
12-22-2006, 09:56 PM
I don't think you'll save much in fuel cost it takes lots of miles to make up the initial price difference....do the math the only reason to do it is for the extra towing power

agjohn02
12-22-2006, 10:00 PM
The 6.0 gets 12-13 mpg empty and I dont know what it gets towing, I imagine its similar to my current crewcab (98 with vortec 454) at 7-8 mpg.

bingo! 15.5 mpg on the highway if you drive like a grandma.

davido
12-23-2006, 12:52 AM
I have a friend that just sold a (I think) '04 Chevy 1/2 ton CC 4x4 and bought a '03 Chevy DMax/Allison (I think 4x4) for $23k, only $1500 more than he sold his 1/2 ton for. He said it tows 8k better than the old one did 3k. I love mine. Diesel has been considerably more expensive lately (20%+).

davido
12-23-2006, 12:57 AM
If you're buying new, I would recommend Tom Ezel at Tom Light. The guys at the dealership in downtown Houston were also great. Starts with a K I think. No haggle, no games, great pricing.

eight
12-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Yea you have to remember the price of diesel is even with or higher than premium gas now. And I'd expect it to go up with the new year, and the winter price increase hasn't hit yet (yankee heating oil competes with diesel). As for price, they're about like anything else in that year range and diesel. $10-28K. Try Eagle Diesel in San Antonio. They have auction trucks and sell them cheap. Just don't believe them when they tell you the truck is in perfect condition, they say that on all of them, so are, most arent.

JB
12-23-2006, 06:14 PM
If you're buying new, I would recommend Tom Ezel at Tom Light. The guys at the dealership in downtown Houston were also great. Starts with a K I think. No haggle, no games, great pricing.

Knapp....went to highschool with his son....good people

fbronco86
12-23-2006, 07:08 PM
I find this pricing very hard to believe, maybe for a gasser i doubt you could get into a used one for that much.

Lets just say I made more than 5k when my truck got wrecked. This lady gives good deals on trucks.

jerryg79
12-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Let's just say invoice on that truck with no options is $35k.

AgDieseler
12-25-2006, 10:27 PM
01-03 LB7 Duramax is an awesome engine. There aren't flaws to avoid in hard components, but rather subtle changes of which you may want to take note.

Some 01s and 02s had issues with busy downshifting from 5th to 4th when towing. The problem was fixed in 03. Previous years can have new programming uploaded. This was the problem with Higg's 01. A free trip to the dealer is the fix.

A few 01s had issues with injector grounding, but 02+ got the fix.

California emissions gets you a cat = soot trap.
04.5+ LLY Duramax has an EGR with a cat - no bueno.
2500 HD comes with 245 tires; 3500 come with 265s
03+ have a cool center console
Bose sound is awesome
ZF6 speed manual is a good tranny, but is nowhere near as strong or as capable the Allison
The leather is real nice.

My opinion on the best deal is exactly what Dave O and I have - 03 2500 HD crew cab short bed. You get all the significant benefits of the later model upgrades without any of the pesky little problems common in earlier year models.

That's all I can think of for now. Like anything else, look for low miles, right color, and the right interior.

Our truck:
http://www.oliverdiesel.com/vehicles/dmax.htm..

Graystroke
12-26-2006, 08:54 AM
only down side to short boxes is tank capacity(and that you loose 2 ft worth of bed)...what is it 24 gal? the long beds get a 34 gal I believe

davido
12-26-2006, 11:34 AM
That has only been a problem on long trips. Otherwise I go over a week, often two, without filling up. Even with a heavy trailer, it has usually been enough as long as I'm diligent about filling up every 2 - 3 of hours (when I'm ready to stop anyway). The worst part about that whole thing is that the gauge is not accurate when towing and the low fuel warning light leaves much to be desired. I still don't know why it acts to weird. Sometimes when I'm empty I can run it down to the bottom side of the red. This last time in CO, I ran out with it showing 1/8 still. Sometimes the light doesn't even come on. I don't get it. I've just resorted to carrying two extra diesel cans when I travel with a load. The frequency of me running out of fuel has more to do with my procrastination habit than the carrying capacity of the truck. I don't tow enough to get used to how fast the last 1/4 of the tank burns off. Combined with lack of planning, it often catches me off guard. For every time I've ran out, I've had 10 close calls, often empty.

As a long term report, I have almost 70k on mine (not that much for a 2003 I know) and have had very little in the way of problems. One door handle spring. Zero problems with engine parts or accessories (injectors, pumps, alternator, etc.). A 4x4 servo in the first 300 miles. The batteries lasted just short of 3 years (not quite as long as I would have hoped). The oddest and most severe issue is that both front wheel bearings went out. Evidently they're expensive, but the extended warranty covered them. Although the mileage is not what I hoped, I would buy one again. Oddly enough I got 19.3 MPG doing 75+ (on my speedo) from Austin to Houston on Sunday. I was cookin' for over an hour down 290. Still by far the most comfortable truck I've driven or riden in.

Graystroke
12-26-2006, 02:49 PM
yeah, my Dad has over 80k on his '04 and has had zero problems except for a recall on the seatbelts in the back seat. Something really minor that had to do w/ child seats or something. He's gotten as much as 21 MPG in his but I think he avgs 16-18 mpg

davido
12-26-2006, 03:11 PM
There was a loop in the seat that I think some people were attaching baby seats to. All they did at the dealer for the recall was sew it closed with some fishing line.

Graystroke
12-26-2006, 04:33 PM
ask jimmy and fred about their first diesel ownership experience way back when......funny!