PDA

View Full Version : changing spring eye and shackle bushings

85cj7
01-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Is there are easier way to change the spring eye and shackle bushings on a cj7. I don't want to have to un-bolt the u-bolts and remove the spring entirely from the car. Can i jack up the car remove the front tires, support the frame with cinder blocks and support the axle with jack stands and unbolt one end of the spring at a time, replace the bushing, rebolting the end and then unbolting the other end. Using this process for all 4 springs. Tell me how to do this with the least amount of removal, and frustration.

uglyota
01-03-2007, 07:17 PM
First, try jackstands instead of cinderblocks. Or if you wanna be really cool just start unbolting stuff with the whole thing teetering on a hilift :D
you shouldn't need to remove the tires, and don't be afraid to put a scissors or bottle jack between the top of the spring and your frame so you don't have to jack the frame up so high. If your springs have sleeved bushings, however, you're probably better off pulling the whole spring to pound out the old ones

robertf03
01-03-2007, 08:25 PM
there is no easy way to change stock spring eye bushings

the quickest way I've found involves a bench vise, drill, and air chisel.

CRaSHnBuRN
01-03-2007, 09:07 PM
First, try jackstands instead of cinderblocks. Or if you wanna be really cool just start unbolting stuff with the whole thing teetering on a hilift :D

Listen to eric, he knows all the do's and don'ts of safely building a rig :flipoff2:

http://tamor.us/members-rigs/albums/Uglyfab/safety.jpg

Sharpe
01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Now that is funnay but the new corporate hippy has all the latest safety accoutrement, including steel toes, long sleeve shirt, safety glasses and even hearing protection!

sasquatch
01-04-2007, 01:56 AM
unload the suspension, take loose the shackles, burn out the old bushings, press in the new ones with grease

stx4wheeler
01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
if you burn them make sure and fling flaming piles of rubber at people walking by, all over the driveway, and anyone helping you, cause it really makes a mess, and kinda works like napalm.

RCcola55
01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
and smells great!!!

BMFScout
01-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Smells like you're at the Digs, and there ain't no smell better than that! Well, except maybe...

robertf03
01-04-2007, 06:58 PM
burn it out, but then have fun knocking out the metal outer sleeve.

william_ace
01-04-2007, 10:04 PM
i burned mine out. but kev already covered that one