PDA

View Full Version : are these tires any good?

colman
01-18-2007, 11:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Set-Of-4-LT-255-85-R16-8-Ply-Maxxis-Bighorn-Mud-Tires_W0QQitemZ250074925073QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6647 4QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Graystroke
01-19-2007, 12:21 AM
they're pinned for studs...buy a bunch of track shoe spikes!

colman
01-19-2007, 12:30 AM
as cool as that would be it doesn't answer my question. the tires are for my truck 97 z71

agjohn02
01-19-2007, 12:31 AM
they're pinned for studs

so, does that mean there are tapped holes...or what? never heard of it. its a snow and ice thing right?

Graystroke
01-19-2007, 12:31 AM
go to some of the tire websites and read the reviews...discount, NTB, tire rack etc.

uglyota
01-19-2007, 12:33 AM
good deal on a set of tires for that truck. Look like they would ride pretty smooth and Maxxis makes a decent tire. Go for it.

Graystroke
01-19-2007, 12:34 AM
so, does that mean there are tapped holes...or what? never heard of it. its a snow and ice thing right?
yes, it is an alternative to chains...illegal in some places. but you don't have to pull over and put on chains.

they are not tapped. I believe it is a screw -kinda like a sheet metal w/ a hex indented head) and the head is what sticks out..kinda like wader boots.

AggieTJ2007
01-19-2007, 01:40 AM
they look alright, they are probably pretty soft so they are going to wear fast, especially on a truck.

One thing you didn't mention is how many miles a year you drive your truck?

colman
01-19-2007, 01:54 AM
not sure abt the future bc it just went to my youngest brother but next year it may go back to my little bro who is a fish(soph by then). eventually it will be a ranch truck probably but there is travel from here to houston and to round top so 12k maybe a year?

AggieTJ2007
01-19-2007, 01:57 AM
yeah they look like a good deal then

DRAGOONRANCH
01-19-2007, 04:44 AM
I have had a set of these tires on the Ford. They barely lasted 10k before they started getting that "ooh, those tires are almost bald" look. They are quiet, give good rain and mud traction, and are fairly cheap. They just do not last though. They would be real good on a rig, but I would not put them on a DD. The lugs on the side wall are awesome, and would be great in the rocks (they used to reach out and grab any curb with in spittin distance and drag you up on top of it, luckily it was just the rear duals that would do this).

sasquatch
01-19-2007, 10:42 AM
get some bfg long trails at sams. they last a long time

stx4wheeler
01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
yup i ran them on my white bronco and then on my moms tj the long trails are good tires, ride smooth, and still dont do half bad in the mud, and work awesome in the sand when aired down a few psi.

bcolman
01-19-2007, 11:50 AM
I have had a set of these tires on the Ford. They barely lasted 10k before they started getting that "ooh, those tires are almost bald" look. They are quiet, give good rain and mud traction, and are fairly cheap. They just do not last though. They would be real good on a rig, but I would not put them on a DD. The lugs on the side wall are awesome, and would be great in the rocks (they used to reach out and grab any curb with in spittin distance and drag you up on top of it, luckily it was just the rear duals that would do this).

i would understand the tread not lasting as long on a 1 ton dually, but this is a half ton truck, wouldn't there be a difference in the tread life (last longer?)?

AggieTJ2007
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
yeah it would be better on a half ton but I still wouldn't expect alot of life out of them. they are probably a soft compound

DRAGOONRANCH
01-19-2007, 01:00 PM
i would understand the tread not lasting as long on a 1 ton dually, but this is a half ton truck, wouldn't there be a difference in the tread life (last longer?)?

I had 305's (33's) on there, so I think the weight distribution would be close to the same. I just don't think you will be happy with them on a daily driver, but this is just my opinion so take it as just that. I would love to get my granddad to put a set on his ol mud hog (if he ever gets his axle fixed in it :eek: ). They do pull good in the mud though and do look good.

DRAGOONRANCH
01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Let me give you the real story behind these tires. I searched and searched for months trying to find a way for my tire guy (Cameron Tire in Cameron, Texas (go figure:flipoff2: )) to be able to get his hands on these tires for me. I called Maxxis headquarters 3 or 4 times trying to find out what I had to do to get them. His distributor carried the Buckshots (which my brother had in the past and really liked), but could not get the BigHorns. I finally had to get them from a tire store in Ft. Worth. Come to find out, the store owner and all the employees are Iraqi. Wow, talkin about a small world. Anyways, back on track. I went through a lot to get these tires, and they seemed to wear real fast and I just ended up being unhappy with their performance. Call me biased if you want, bottom line is they are a good off-road tire, but that is all.

colman
01-19-2007, 04:32 PM
thanks for the input