PDA

View Full Version : Honda 13HP engine trouble

DRAGOONRANCH
01-23-2007, 06:55 AM
I have an air compressor that has a 13hp engine on it, and when I pulled the dipstick about a quart or so of fluid poured out. It has to be a mixture of mogas and oil as it was too thin to just be oil, and it would have been too hard to get that much extra oil in it.

I know the usual places that it can get in the crankcase (valves and piston rings) and I don't have a service manual for it at this time, so does anybody have any insight as to where else to look for the culprit. I do not have a clue yet as what might be the problem as I am just starting to trouble shoot it. I have not started to tear it apart yet because I am waiting on some input.

It has not been blowing smoke until this morning, when it would kick back to Idle it would blow a large cloud of blueish white smoke for a few seconds. I am pretty sure this is due to the high oil level, and it was just blowing the oil into the carburator. The engine was still running good so I am under the impressoin that the rings and valves are possibly still in good shape. I am hoping that there may be some connection or seal that went bad from the carb to the crankcase. Let me know if you have any ideas on the matter.

KrazyKarl02
01-23-2007, 07:52 AM
If the float on your carb leaks, depending on the set up (I know this is true on motorcycles) the gas will fill the throat of the carb up, flow down the intake and sit in the head, from there it will slowly seep past the valves into the pistons, past the pistons and into the crank case.

DRAGOONRANCH
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
This would make sense as we do not turn the fuel off to it. I will do an oil change, and regap the SP then put it all back together. After it runs a few days we will see what it does. I just hope that amount of fuel in it didn't burn up the rings or any other parts.

agjohn02
01-23-2007, 06:33 PM
it's a honda. it'll be fine.

Graystroke
01-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I had this happen before. It is usually the result of a stuck float. rapp the side of the float bowl w/ a screw driver handle for good measure. sometimes this will unstick the float. you may also run a can of carb cleaner through the tank.

DRAGOONRANCH
01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks. I will try this out also. I wish I could find a can of cleaner here, I can't even get it mailed to me. The army doesn't have any, just brake cleaner. Maybe a bit of diesel in the tank will cure it.

Sharpe
01-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, same ****.

DRAGOONRANCH
01-24-2007, 11:38 AM
oky, but had some seals go bad after using brake cleaner once. Maby ( :flipoff3: ) they were almost gone to start with.