PDA

View Full Version : cj6?

bcolman
01-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I found a 59 cj6 and they guy wants 3100 for it, it is all stock, it has hard and soft top, do you think that it is a good deal? te only problem he says that he has with it is that the engine needs a tune up.

colman
01-27-2007, 12:32 AM
what did he sayabout the axles and for the rest of you it comes with a hard and soft top that are good. i still say its to much and he should get a cj7 or samurai

bcolman
01-27-2007, 01:37 AM
it has a dana 44 rear and a 27 front, a 4 cylinder engine, dana 18 transfer case and t90 transmission, and as far as i can tell there isnt much rust, i can only see a little in the pictures but it doesnt look to bad

robertf03
01-27-2007, 01:41 AM
they are kind of rare, if you are debating between a cj7 and a 6, a 6 is probably not for you.

CheapJeep
01-27-2007, 03:39 AM
CJ-6's are really cool because they are rare and unique. I think your choice is really dependant upon what you're planning to do with it wheeling wise and how much effort you're willing to put forth to make it as capable as your K5 was. I mean it was pretty sweet and going from 1 tons (we'll call the hd44 w/chromo's good), tbi 350, 39.5" Irocs, Corbeau seats, etc... to a vintage Jeep is a big change. If you look at the stock drivetrain you'll see what I'm talking about, none of that with the exception of maybe the rear 31 spline d44 is worth a damn. Also the steering on those old jeeps is a type of push pull setup and the frame really isn't the best platform to build off of. It would need some reinforcement for sure if you plan on doing anything with it other than keeping it as a resto. I'm not trying to discourage you from building one, but without alot of time and money I don't think you'd be as happy with it compared to the blazer. I say keep looking and find a better platform.

This is an example of how involved something of that vintage can get.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524493&page=3

Edit- If you're wanting to stay with a Jeep what about a cheap YJ or TJ, you can find guys all over buying them with salvage titles or for dirt cheap and going from there. You could probably find a nice built CJ-7 too, they're a dime a dozen. It might sound sacrilegious but there are alot of toy's out there to be had as well. Just giving you ideas.

eight
01-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Yea like robbie said you don't really have a frame or drivetrain to start from for building a tough wheeler. And being a 59 it'll have the crappy 44 rear with little 2 piece shafts. If it's in good condition I think it's worth at least 3100, but it would be best kept as a cruiser or hunting vehicle. Even though there were twice as many of those built as there were scramblers, I very rarely see any, I think I've seen 2.

For a wheeling jeep, you need to start with something from the 70s at least. I reccomend a fuel injected 6 cylinder yj as a starting point, then you at least have a good frame, engine, and transmission to start with. The transfer case is decent and with tj shafts in the front axle and an explorer 8.8 rear axle, both locked with 4.56-4.88s and 35s you can run most any trail we ever go on.