PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Truck Shiat - Per Cook's Request...

Pages : [1] 2 3

StevenAg03
02-08-2007, 11:14 PM
As the title says, this thread is all about Diesel Shiat....Per Cook's request... :flipoff2:

im sure that more and more people will be getting diesels and this thread could become helpful...

ill start...it may be a stupid question, but what is/where is the down pipe? Is this just the tube that is the exhaust side of the turbo to the ehaust? if so why would you need one with an aftermarket exhaust?

Eckert
02-08-2007, 11:23 PM
sometimes the down pipe has been crushed, for a lack of a better word, from the factory. i know the older power strokes(97 and older) are like that. same concept as a y-pipe on a gasser.

StevenAg03
02-08-2007, 11:30 PM
sometimes the down pipe has been crushed, for a lack of a better word, from the factory. i know the older power strokes(97 and older) are like that. same concept as a y-pipe on a gasser.

so is it the pipe that is the outlet side of the turbo to the exhaust?

Reckless
02-08-2007, 11:31 PM
yes

william_ace
02-08-2007, 11:50 PM
the outlet side of the turbo is the downpipe the reasoning for getting an aftermarket downpipe would be that you could decrease the back pressure increasing the flow of exhaust. thing to remember is air in air out. your greatest power gains without doing any kind of extreme hardware or electronic mods is increasing air flow. i suggest check out Bank's power elbow. if you do not want to put aftermarket exhaust on your truck just cut the muffler and spark resistor off of the exhaust system, that will be a nice power gain. if you do decide to go with aftermarket exhaust go with 4-5" nothing bigger. as for power in go for the afe air intakes i have heard alot of good things about them, i have a k&n stage 2 on my 01 cummins and it showed a little better performance but i have heard better things about afe. if you have any more questions on any other kind of performance email me @ zdocmeyer@msn.com and if i cant help you i will know someone that will.

Reckless
02-08-2007, 11:57 PM
5in is a waste in my opinion, big rigs have been using 4in for years with no probems.

CheapJeep
02-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Like Will said the best way to increase performance, gas mileage, and decrease egt's is to increase air flow. Most everyone I know with performance upgrades including myself run AFE intakes. I feel that they are the best quality for the price. As for exhaust I would stay with a 4" from the turbo back, that's the most common setup. If you go any larger you need to be putting out some serious power, I know a guy with a 4" downpipe into 6" straight back but it looks ridiculous.

Reckless
02-09-2007, 12:03 AM
approx 700hp before a 5in is needed.

sasquatch
02-09-2007, 12:11 AM
As the title says, this thread is all about Diesel Shiat....Per Cook's request... :flipoff2:

im sure that more and more people will be getting diesels and this thread could become helpful...

DRAGOONRANCH
02-09-2007, 12:57 AM
5in is a waste in my opinion, big rigs have been using 4in for years with no probems.

You have to remember though, big rigs are running at 1500-1800 rpm and the pick-ups are 2000+ cruisin. Even with the smaller displacement you are lookin at lots of air needing to be moved out of the way. I recomend a 5" downpipe into a 4" system with some type of turbo muffler. If you want obnoxious, go with no muffler at all. I do "not" recomend removing your cat though. ;)

DRAGOONRANCH
02-09-2007, 12:58 AM
"not" can be read as "highly" in some peoples previous posts. :gigem:

BMFScout
02-09-2007, 01:02 AM
put this in tech?

StevenAg03
02-09-2007, 08:14 AM
is there any reason to go with a stainless exhaust over a aluminum one other then for esthetics? also is MBRP that much better then AFE exhaust system? the AFE one is cheaper for the same thing.

fbronco86
02-09-2007, 08:27 AM
My truck is pretty sweet. I have done a few mods myself.
I did some mods to the air cleaner and installed a K&N.
Adjusted the hood screws to let more air into air box.
Installed a pryo and adjusted the pump.
David Oliver helped me adjust the timing.
3inch straight pipe. I really wanted to put duals on it but I did not have the money at the time.

I think I got a 1 mpg increase it was sweet.

I am pretty sure I can pull more than chadnutz too.

Also when my truck is running it sounds like a pissed off 12valve.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-09-2007, 09:54 AM
is there any reason to go with a stainless exhaust over a aluminum one other then for esthetics? also is MBRP that much better then AFE exhaust system? the AFE one is cheaper for the same thing.

All of the research I did on the ford showed that MBRP put together a better engineered and sturdier product. There is a few MBRP dealers in H-town also that will install it. With the aluminum, you will never have to worry about rust, with the stainless it is not so bad but you will eventually get some at the joints from the rubbing.

redcagepatrol
02-10-2007, 10:53 PM
I have a 4" downpipe - and all the way out the back 4" too. Wolverton, you should come over, I can show you all the things that I did to my Dodge to make it better.

tigweld
02-11-2007, 03:01 PM
there is no aluminum exhuausts they are alumnized just a different galvanization. word to the wise just about every new car or truck comes with stainless exhaust, why take of a better material to put on bigger cheaper material go stainless or leave the factory. I would go with the mbrp I have put on the ford ones they fit right and come with much better hangers. the hanger are where the the cheaper kits skimp, I know this because I bought a bully dog kit a long lime ago and ended up cutting up all the factory hangers and reusing them and completely rerouting the system to keep the factory heat shields. u get what u pay for

Graystroke
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
school me on what came kind of diesel came in a 1988 ford? specs? trouble spots, etc. These are NA diesels right?

william_ace
02-12-2007, 10:52 AM
should be a n/a IDI 7.3 deisel. pretty plain and pretty gutless stock

tigweld
02-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I think that is a 6.9 still . way underpowered, but oddly enough the have a fairly large following much like the gm 6.5 optimizer

fbronco86
02-12-2007, 10:56 AM
school me on what came kind of diesel came in a 1988 ford? specs? trouble spots, etc. These are NA diesels right?

I think the 88 had the 7.3 engine.

Yeah its a NA motor. 88 did not have the serp belt witch kinda sucks. The alt belt likes to jump off at times. Some peeps put a extra idle pully to solve this problem.

The major problems

return lines leak air into the system so you have to change out the o rings. Not a big deal I have done it once on my truck. Parts are like 40 bucks.

Cavation on these engines is a killer. So you should watch your ph on your coolent.

Dual mass flywheels suck only on standards. Most people replace with a single mass flywheel from luk. Its about 600-700 bucks to convert.

Most guys get 200 to 300 k outta them.

Checkout thedieselstop.com there is a section for 7.3na and the 6.9

The 6.9 is the same with thicker walls so cavation is not as bad on these. But they have small head bolts that like to let loose when guys turbo them.

The banks website has the stock numbers for hp and stuff like that.

I wanna say its 180 hp at like 325 ft lbs.

Mine only has 107k on it. You should buy it.

Graystroke
02-12-2007, 01:59 PM
never mind the truck sold. it was a running and driving f-350 crew cab 4 X 4 for $1000
miles unknown. plan was to pull the engine/tranny and stick it in IH dually that we bought a while back and sell the axle and whatever else. I would like to put something like that in the IH and make daily driver. or just stick in replacement motor which would be a lot easier.... I'm too cheap though. I found one in Arkansas IH 345...road trip anyone?

CheapJeep
02-12-2007, 02:01 PM
What, you don't want that already built one that I posted for cheap? Ryan can back me on the fact that it's well built and you have nothing to worry about.

fbronco86
02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
never mind the truck sold. it was a running and driving f-350 crew cab 4 X 4 for $1000
miles unknown. plan was to pull the engine/tranny and stick it in IH dually that we bought a while back and sell the axle and whatever else. I would like to put something like that in the IH and make daily driver. or just stick in replacement motor which would be a lot easier.... I'm too cheap though. I found one in Arkansas IH 345...road trip anyone?

Why not stick a 5.3 in it?

DRAGOONRANCH
02-12-2007, 02:18 PM
I found one in Arkansas IH 345...road trip anyone?

Watch out for the banjos, just ask Rowdy about this year in Clayton...

:flipoff2:

Graystroke
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
What, you don't want that already built one that I posted for cheap? Ryan can back me on the fact that it's well built and you have nothing to worry about.
B/C I'm not spending $750 dollars on an IH engine. I only paid $700 for the whole truck. I may have found part of the problem. I think the PO did not know the firing order of an IH engine and it was adavanced like a whole cylinder. N-I-C-E !

my Dad noticed this the other day. He didn't check the rest of the firing order. who knows. So, may just need a head job or ?? it does run. just not real well and smokes after a while.

so this is kinda like a diesel w/ the smoke...just to say I wasn't hijacking!

is the firing order the same as a chevy?

Sharpe
02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Danny had the same timing problem. He and Tommy had been trying to time it off the wrong cylinder all summer but once they set it correctly the mofo fired right up.

Fredo
02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
yes, it's the same as a chevy...it is just timed off of number 8 instead of number 1. "Time off of No 8 CYL" is stamped into both valve covers. So instead of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 it is 8-4-3-6-5-7-2-1

Oh, and I'd buy that motor, but it's more fun to see how long the current one is going to last. :gigem:
http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6389&highlight=place+bets

Jackasic
02-22-2007, 02:10 AM
too much boost?

http://mikesdriveway.com/misc/TooManyHorse.pps

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 09:52 AM
um, your hard drive linked into the worldwideweb??? :flipoff2:

Jackasic
02-22-2007, 09:55 AM
try that ;)

Chadnutz
02-22-2007, 10:34 AM
My truck is pretty sweet. I have done a few mods myself.
I did some mods to the air cleaner and installed a K&N.
Adjusted the hood screws to let more air into air box.
Installed a pryo and adjusted the pump.
David Oliver helped me adjust the timing.
3inch straight pipe. I really wanted to put duals on it but I did not have the money at the time.

I think I got a 1 mpg increase it was sweet.

I am pretty sure I can pull more than chadnutz too.

Also when my truck is running it sounds like a pissed off 12valve.

Still obsessed. I should have left you and your POS on the side of the road.
:rolleyes:

BMFScout
02-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I'll say, he's so obsessed he sold it! :)

jerryg79
02-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Still obsessed. I should have left you and your POS on the side of the road.

Note to self: If ever in a bind dont let chadnutz help you, he will hold it over your head four years later.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 10:53 AM
try that ;)

You think he might have made the next heat if he had enough JB?!?!?

KrazyKarl02
02-22-2007, 11:21 AM
So as I understand it the new diesel is lower in sulfur which reduce the fuels ability to lubricate parts in the fuel system.

Anyone have any useful comments (I realize this pretty much nixes Jimmy from the conversation) about what this lack of sulfur will mean to our older model diesels?

Is there a fuel additive we should consider to help extend the life of injector pumps, etc....

jerryg79
02-22-2007, 11:27 AM
So as I understand it the new diesel is lower in sulfur which reduce the fuels ability to lubricate parts in the fuel system.

Anyone have any useful comments (I realize this pretty much nixes Jimmy from the conversation) about what this lack of sulfur will mean to our older model diesels?

Is there a fuel additive we should consider to help extend the life of injector pumps, etc....

Yeah that DieselKleen stuff is what everyone beats it too. I put a gallon through it every 7500 miles (oil change). Dave Krebs uses it every time he fills up, but that chit's too expensive for that.

I've also heard (read) that just dumping a quart or two of your old motor oil in the tank will do the same thing. But that just doesnt seem like a good idea to me.

Doug Krebs
02-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah that DieselKleen stuff is what everyone beats it too. I put a gallon through it every 7500 miles (oil change). Dave Krebs uses it every time he fills up, but that chit's too expensive for that.

I've also heard (read) that just dumping a quart or two of your old motor oil in the tank will do the same thing. But that just doesnt seem like a good idea to me.

I thought he did some gayness like a mixture of marvel mystery oil and other shat? I could be wrong as I haven't talked that gayness in a while.

jerryg79
02-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I thought he did some gayness like a mixture of marvel mystery oil and other shat? I could be wrong as I haven't talked that gayness in a while.

I'm sorry I'll rephrase - most normal people use dieselkleen, david krebs has super lubricators to go with his super oil filter. :D

Reckless
02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
the dieselkleen stuff is PowerService. ya can buy a 96oz bottle for 15bucks and ya put 10oz per fillup so it lasts longer than ya think. Ive been putting it in moms duramax and got better performance.

fbronco86
02-22-2007, 12:54 PM

You should talk to my ole man about it. Get him some crown and you are set right jerry.

jerryg79
02-22-2007, 12:57 PM
You should talk to my ole man about it. Get him some crown and you are set right jerry.

yes, but bring a bottle for yourself to, cause you aint getting any of the other one :gigem:

TxCruzr
02-22-2007, 01:09 PM
I've a bunch on POR that the lower sulfur diesel will effect the seals on the older motors but an additive should prevent this and the ones that have replaced the seals have not had a problem after they were replaced.

AgDieseler
02-22-2007, 01:15 PM

I use FPPF cetane improver and lubricity improver. I mix them 50/50 at 150% of the individual recommended dosage. It made a big difference - about 1.5 mpg better, slight power increase, but mostly I wanted it just because it's the right thing to feed the pump and injectors.

Myths about motor oil, ATF, gasoline, etc. are just that - mythical bad ideas.

Chadnutz
02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Note to self: If ever in a bind dont let chadnutz help you, he will hold it over your head four years later.

I don't see why someone I did a favor for is such a dick over a few dumb posts that never attacked him... Would you regret going out of your way for an e-dick?

If I don't post for a month I can still read about him obsessing over me. Get over it.

Fredo
02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
What's the weather like today in your world Chadnutz?

jerryg79
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
What's the weather like today in your world Chadnutz?

partly pompous with a 50% chance of arrogant...oh wait those arent weather conditions at all :D

fbronco86
02-22-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't see why someone I did a favor for is such a dick over a few dumb posts that never attacked him... Would you regret going out of your way for an e-dick?

If I don't post for a month I can still read about him obsessing over me. Get over it.

How about I pay you 44.5 cents a mile. Then I wont have to count it as a favor anymore :flipoff2:

I think it was like 5 miles tops.

You take paypal?

fbronco86
02-22-2007, 03:13 PM
I used the dieselkleen with the cetane booster in my old truck. I did it about every oil change gave it a little splash in each tank.

sasquatch
02-22-2007, 03:43 PM
there is some injector cleaner made in germany that bmw sells. weston has some and says its good ****

colman
02-22-2007, 03:51 PM
i would just like to say that i find it hilarious that the first page is 2/3 deleted posts. that has to be some sort of a record

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 03:54 PM
You can also use the stanadyne stuff, it has been getting good reviews. I am of the understanding though that the new ULSD has a lubicity additive to it. Getting aybody nailed down on how they actually cook the diesel up is like pullin teeth though.

Chadnutz
02-22-2007, 03:58 PM
How about I pay you 44.5 cents a mile. Then I wont have to count it as a favor anymore :flipoff2:

I think it was like 5 miles tops.

You take paypal?

I shouldn't have *****ed about doing Tate's job for free because he stayed up late helping me put my gooseneck hitch and trailer brake in.

I'm sorry Tate.

Now give me a kiss Mike. :rainbow: :flipoff2:

fbronco86
02-22-2007, 03:58 PM
You can also use the stanadyne stuff, it has been getting good reviews. I am of the understanding though that the new ULSD has a lubicity additive to it. Getting aybody nailed down on how they actually cook the diesel up is like pullin teeth though.

I dont think they get betty crocker to "cook" them a pot of diesel :flipoff2:

fbronco86
02-22-2007, 04:03 PM
I shouldn't have *****ed about doing Tate's job for free because he stayed up late helping me put my gooseneck hitch and trailer brake in.

I'm sorry Tate.

Now give me a kiss Mike. :rainbow: :flipoff2:

Yeah I am not into dudes with backnce.

Go with chirst bra

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
nope, but I don't doubt that evil ***** martha stewart has something to do with it. ;)

fbronco86
02-22-2007, 04:09 PM
nope, but I don't doubt that evil ***** martha stewart has something to do with it. ;)

You are right they did add some lubicity back to the diesel fuel but the stuff they added works ok as a lube but not so great for the older rubber componets.

Thats the story my dad told me anyway

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Makes sense. We don't have any old diesels sitting around, just old gassers so we haven't been worried about it.

StevenAg03
02-22-2007, 05:03 PM
if you are looking for lubricity i would not recomend using any of the diesel additives alone. they are mostly alcohols and actually brake down the lubricity of the fluids. i add 1qt of non-synthetic multipurpose 2 cycle oil with every fillup. the truck seems to run a little better with it. also the exhaust smells more like old school diesel exhaust then other trucks without it.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
You have to look at whats in them, stanadyne and amsoil additives don't have alchohol. I haven't had the pleasure/displeasure of smellin the new exhaust, so I will check on the 2-cycle oil when I get home.

jerryg79
02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
if you are looking for lubricity i would not recomend using any of the diesel additives alone. they are mostly alcohols and actually brake down the lubricity of the fluids. i add 1qt of non-synthetic multipurpose 2 cycle oil with every fillup. the truck seems to run a little better with it. also the exhaust smells more like old school diesel exhaust then other trucks without it.

Did you do this before or after you located the downpipe :flipoff2:

The **** I have says it lubricates on the bottle, that's good enough for me.

agjohn02
02-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Did you do this before or after you located the downpipe :flipoff2:

The **** I have says it lubricates on the bottle, that's good enough for me.

:gigem: :laughing:

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
pwned?

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 05:40 PM
and why would you put ky in the diesel tank??? :flipoff3:

jerryg79
02-22-2007, 05:43 PM
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148327&page=2&highlight=dieselkleen

dont know if yall can see that thread without an id, but there is someone using just about everything under the sun.

edit: i just logged out and tried, and you cant see it.

jerryg79
02-22-2007, 05:43 PM
and why would you put ky in the diesel tank??? :flipoff3:

ky is water based, that would be bad. God youre dumb :flipoff2: :D

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 05:46 PM
um, thats why I was askin you tamoron. ;)

Chadnutz
02-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah I am not into dudes with backnce.

Go with chirst bra

Phew, I'm not into fat ****ers Mr. Perfect.

jerryg79
02-22-2007, 06:00 PM
um, thats why I was askin you tamoron. ;)

umm you cant use a derogatory name against the person who coined said name within the first week of the word in question's conception. Its in the dickhead code of ethics. :gigem:

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Well I am not a dickhead, so go get bent.

******* maybe, but not dickhead. ;)

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Besides, I work for da debil, I have no ethics remember?

Sharpe
02-22-2007, 07:15 PM
ky is water based, that would be bad. God youre dumb :flipoff2: :D
Astroglide is petroleum based :gigem:

DRAGOONRANCH
09-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Oh Creighton, looky what I found. tee hee hee.

LBZ DSP won't be released publicly until the end of this month. LMM will follow hopefully by the end of October.

Cheers
Cindy

A little bit about the switch install: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325872

Reckless
09-23-2009, 05:01 PM
LB7 still mo betta!

Graystroke
09-23-2009, 06:53 PM
R2D2 rocks!

DRAGOONRANCH
09-23-2009, 11:34 PM
LB7 still mo betta!

Meet me at the tree and we'll see..

http://www.two-laneblacktopdragstrip.com/images/tour/16.jpg

R2D2 rocks!

Yes he does!

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

AggieTJ2007
09-24-2009, 07:56 PM
oh yeah and I am going to order the transgo kit and some gauge for the truck too to monitor the big tune

DRAGOONRANCH
09-24-2009, 09:54 PM
jr? I have been thinking about it. Let me know before you do, maybe I get one sent to you at same time.

Reckless
09-24-2009, 10:05 PM
send it over here, your truck is closer and i know what im doing

Sharpe
09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
i know what im doing

:laughing: It didnt sound like it when you were messing with it at my house... Never heard any diesel make the noises coming from yours...

davido
09-24-2009, 10:50 PM
:laughing: It didnt sound like it when you were messing with it at my house... Never heard any diesel make the noises coming from yours...

That's the sounds of WIN. You've never owned one that makes that noise. :flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
09-24-2009, 11:21 PM
:laughing: You guyz slayz me!

DRAGOONRANCH
09-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Down to $85 here.

http://www.madjacksynthetics.com/transmission/allison-transmission-kits-and-converters/transgo-jr-transmission-shift-kit/prod_11.html

Eckert
09-25-2009, 10:01 AM
i need a clutch. its bad when your clutch slips before your tires do on wet pavement.

i was going to go with a South Bend FE, unless convinced otherwise.

robbie, what do you have?

AggieTJ2007
09-25-2009, 08:55 PM
yeah the JR. the full kit is not neccesarry on the 6 speed because GM upgraded the internal parts for you

Reckless
09-26-2009, 11:27 AM
on mine its gonna require the full transgo. i may just say screw it and go for it

DRAGOONRANCH
09-26-2009, 11:32 AM
suncoast ftw!

Reckless
09-26-2009, 02:47 PM
if i could drop the coin for a suncoast V, id already done it

AggieTJ2007
09-26-2009, 06:12 PM
yeah but the full transgo is a pain because you have to drop the trans

DRAGOONRANCH
09-26-2009, 10:11 PM
if i could drop the coin for a suncoast V, id already done it

Start savin your money up, hell I don't think even you could mess up a Suncoast built tranny!

Reckless
09-27-2009, 07:06 PM
well the trans is on the back burner, new injectors and 45% Extrude hone nozzles are in the works

AggieTJ2007
09-27-2009, 08:25 PM
so tranny will be soon to come

DRAGOONRANCH
09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
so tranny will be soon to come

No, they call it bus tokens. ;)

Reckless
09-27-2009, 10:39 PM
well, the injectors are going out and might as well put some better flow nozzles while im in there

AggieTJ2007
10-03-2009, 09:46 PM
transgo kit and dsp5 switches arrived today now I am just waiting for some tranny fluid and the programming to be released and its awn

AggieTJ2007
10-09-2009, 04:31 PM
DSP5 tune installed now for the transgo and traction bars

stx4wheeler
10-09-2009, 04:33 PM
wtf traction bars are you building a drag racer or a truck to tow with...

Reckless
10-09-2009, 05:42 PM
you going to run caltracs?

AggieTJ2007
10-09-2009, 07:02 PM
no just some to tow with. I get some axle wrap with the gooseneck when I am on a hill or such starting out from a stop.

they are just simple under the axle bars to help curb axlewrap nothing too extravegant

BroncoJo
10-09-2009, 07:12 PM
no just some to tow with. I get some axle wrap with the gooseneck when I am on a hill or such starting out from a stop.

they are just simple under the axle bars to help curb axlewrap nothing too extravegant

you can't lie to me... diesel rice:flipoff2:

eight
10-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I drove the ford today, it is still a bad dood.

stx4wheeler
10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Post a pic of it with it new shoes, pollock.

DRAGOONRANCH
10-30-2009, 01:17 AM
it only takes about 15 min to install the switch plus another 15 to load the program

Have you had time to install Jr. yet? That and an EGT guage are on the list to be done before the CO trip next summer. I really don't want a pillar pod for the gauges, but I don't know where else would be a clean install for them.

Reckless
10-30-2009, 01:42 AM
overhead console mounts for the gauges

DRAGOONRANCH
10-30-2009, 02:16 AM
Gauge wires/tubes won't be long enough to get up there with out splicing into them. Not a deal breaker, but may be more hassle than I want to mess with in the short time I have to fork with it.

StevenAg03
10-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Gauge wires/tubes won't be long enough to get up there with out splicing into them. Not a deal breaker, but may be more hassle than I want to mess with in the short time I have to fork with it.

as far as i know, the thermocouple harness should not be spliced into. adding length of wire will change the resistance and change the EGT reading. if you want to mount the gauge in the overhead, make sure you get the correct length thermocouple. this will probably require you to talk to a reputable shop that knows what they are doing...

DRAGOONRANCH
10-30-2009, 08:47 AM
I will have to call Autometer, from some research it seems that they were going to make a longer one just for this.

AggieTJ2007
10-31-2009, 06:19 AM
yeah I already installed the transgo jr. it was quick and easy

AggieTJ2007
11-07-2009, 05:53 PM
ordered a 4 inch MBRP system today, hopefully it is not too loud and hopefully it will drop EGT's some

DRAGOONRANCH
11-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Who'd you get it from? Alligator or the rep in Corpus?

AggieTJ2007
11-08-2009, 11:24 AM
alligator performance... he has free shipping and no sales tax so I bet it is hard to beat his price

Edit: and the place that sells the stuff down here looks pretty ghetto. I know where there shop is in Aransas and i have never seen them open

DRAGOONRANCH
11-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I kinda figured. I have thought about it, but will wait to hear what yours sounds like at Clayton. Might be nice for the Co. trip.

AggieTJ2007
11-08-2009, 11:34 AM
yeah I am kinda nervous about the sounds but I think that the truck is too quiet as it is

DRAGOONRANCH
11-08-2009, 11:45 AM
It shouldn't be too bad with the 4", and if it is, I would think you could get a decent muffler to put inline to knock it down a bit. Turbo back?

AggieTJ2007
11-08-2009, 12:00 PM
turbo back w/ no cat, it does have a small muffler on it

DRAGOONRANCH
11-08-2009, 12:05 PM
It should be tolerable then. Gettin on it w/ the loaded GN will get her to talkin though!

Reckless
11-08-2009, 01:23 PM
ive got a 4in magnaflow on my truck. has a nice tone and at hwy speeds there isnt a drone

AggieTJ2007
11-08-2009, 01:34 PM
we didn't ask you

Reckless
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
but you got it anyways

DRAGOONRANCH
11-08-2009, 01:54 PM
****, if we wanted to know how to make it sound like the results of a cabbage and refried beans supper washed down with a 12 pack of the beast being shat in a coffee can, we would have asked you...

:flipoff2:

(just knowing that your truck will even start after the sever raping you give it everyday is proof enough to me that the Dmax is the best diesel out there right now. :D )

CheapJeep
01-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Dodge clutch carnage from the Clayton trip... Replaced it with a southbend dual disk.

Fried southbend con ofe
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Barn%20Burner%20Updates/DSC_1280.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Barn%20Burner%20Updates/DSC_1281.jpg

Seth
01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Does this count as one of the higher operating costs of a diesel in the gas vs diesel discussion? :D

Sharpe
02-08-2010, 11:55 AM
For all you diesel homo's getting new trucks, O'Reillys is selling the urea crap now for ~$5 a gallon.

StevenAg03
02-08-2010, 12:24 PM
For all you diesel homo's getting new trucks, O'Reillys is selling the urea crap now for ~$5 a gallon.

who is using urea injection on light duty trucks?

Sharpe
02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
No one yet but its coming.

uglyota
02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Dodge clutch carnage from the Clayton trip... Replaced it with a southbend dual disk.

Fried southbend con ofe
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Barn%20Burner%20Updates/DSC_1280.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/blink05/Barn%20Burner%20Updates/DSC_1281.jpg

Is there something wrong with it?

StevenAg03
02-08-2010, 01:33 PM
No one yet but its coming.

we are using it to meet Euro V emissions, but this is the first i have heard in light duty. some googling tells me its GM. They are not who i suspected would go to it. i thought ford due to internationals short comings with egr.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I can't remember if it's dodge or ford that is the other, but there are two of them going to it soon.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-08-2010, 01:46 PM

too bad they don't have scratch and sniff screens, you of all people would be able to tell us if it was burnt or not!

StevenAg03
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I can't remember if it's dodge or ford that is the other, but there are two of them going to it soon.

i read somewhere that Dodge was going to DEF on the cab and chassis only... found nothign on Ford...

Eckert
02-08-2010, 05:28 PM

i dont care to own a new truck, so i dont know. but whats with the urea injection? what would happen if you dont use it?

agjohn02
02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
i dont care to own a new truck

that's a bonus, because with your attitude, i dont see you ever being able to own a new truck

robertf03
02-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm curious to see how this works out. Didn't GM have a bottle of methanol on their 60's turbo cars that people couldn't handle refilling?

Eckert
02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
that's a bonus, because with your attitude, i dont see you ever being able to own a new truck

tell me how you really feel.

agjohn02
02-08-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm curious to see how this works out. Didn't GM have a bottle of methanol on their 60's turbo cars that people couldn't handle refilling?

im betting this will be the first feature that owners "delete" from their new trucks.

Sharpe
02-08-2010, 05:47 PM
i dont care to own a new truck, so i dont know. but whats with the urea injection? what would happen if you dont use it?

It is squirted into the exhaust to chemically clean it up before exiting. If you run the tank empty, trucks that use it now go into limp home mode. The O'Reillys rep was telling me about it this morning. He said that most medium duty and heavy trucks currently using it consume about 2 gallons of the urea **** for every 100 gallons of fuel. Not too bad price wise but remembering to top it off would probably be a PITA.

uglyota
02-08-2010, 06:18 PM
too bad they don't have scratch and sniff screens, you of all people would be able to tell us if it was burnt or not!

it was just glazed? I thought it failed catastrophically (or as I prefer to say, spectacularly!)

AggieTJ2007
02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
yeah on GM you should only need to fill up the urea every oil change. it if gets low it will annoy the piss out of you and if it goes empty the truck goes into limp mode and you are limited to 5mph.

I bet it would be interesting if you dumped gas or diesel in the urea tank and could shoot flames out the exhuast

CheapJeep
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Check out all the clutch dust/reminants in the center of the flywheel and clutch forks. There isn't much left of the ceramic/feramic disk once you see it in person...

However, if some diesel wanker wants to slap it in their dodge go right ahead, it has been riding in the bed of my truck for a couple months.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-08-2010, 11:21 PM
yeah on GM you should only need to fill up the urea every oil change. it if gets low it will annoy the piss out of you and if it goes empty the truck goes into limp mode and you are limited to 5mph.

I bet it would be interesting if you dumped gas or diesel in the urea tank and could shoot flames out the exhuast

I don't doubt that it will be one of the first things EFI Live works on for the new engines. It will be the same as the DPF or EGR, in just a few minutes you will be able to edit it out.

AggieTJ2007
02-09-2010, 09:25 AM
yep and then the guys will be using the tank for water methanol injection, or at least that is what they have been talking about

TexTJ209
07-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Alright so...might be going to look at some Duramaxes this weekend. 2004 and 2005 models, most of them right around 100k miles.

In addition to the stuff posted up by people to check out on the 03-07 Chevys in Cody's Box...what Duramax specific issues are there to look out for? Never owned or spent much time behind the wheel of a Duramax...

And I already read the old Duramax threads/posts on here.

KrazyKarl02
07-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Something that pisses me off about mine is some of the lights on the radio are burned out, but that is more of something that pisses me off. It sucked the first time I drove it in the dark.

DRAGOONRANCH
07-09-2010, 11:38 PM
What engine do I have? Check the 8th digit of your VIN number- LB7=1, LLY=2, LBZ=D

2001-2004: LB7
Injectors. Make sure the TSB (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304674) has been taken care of.

2004.5-2005: LLY
FAQ for the LLY (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51702)

Both of these come w/ the 5 speed Allison. Good transmission, but if you plan to put any really hot tuners on the engine it will need help. The 'fix' for this is not near as cheap as it is in the 6speeds. If you plan to run it stock and not Rowdy it out, it will be just fine with regular filter/oil changes.

The 04.5 LLY was the first one to come w/ the VVT (variable vane turbo) which helps in building the boost faster. I believe they also will have the grade/turbo brake in Tow/Haul mode. You can get an aftermarket one that will really bump up the effectiveness on this, and it makes a ton of difference and well worth it.

TexTJ209
08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm a diesel fag now. Yay?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/TexTJ209/photo2-5.jpg

Seth
08-22-2010, 07:48 PM
good deal?

TexTJ209
08-22-2010, 07:51 PM
5k off KBB value, so I'd say yes.

Costs me about $50 less a month than my old truck, and gets about 7 more mpg so far. Plus it has a back seat and 4x4, whereas my old truck didn't.

sam_hodnett
08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Nice

Shaggy
08-22-2010, 08:42 PM
I dig it

DRAGOONRANCH
08-22-2010, 10:58 PM
What year model? We'll get you headed down the 'dieselfag' path right, quick and in a hurry w/ an EFI tune (or 5) :flipoff2:

TexTJ209
08-22-2010, 11:26 PM
2005. I really like the 2006+ towing mirrors from the trucks I test drove, so I think for my first mod I'm gonna buy a set and swap 'em out.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Ok, good. Now we have another LLY in the bunch (along w/ Brian's) that we can start getting tunes for. :D

I love my mirrors on the 07.

bcolman
08-23-2010, 12:37 AM
if you find a good deal on mirrors let me know

and ed i do need a tune

TexTJ209
08-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Mirrors are $300ish on eBay(cheaper if you don't get ones with the turn signal). Think I could get close on to that on eBay for my factory power extending ones.

AggieTJ2007
08-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I really like the 06 towing mirrors. I really like your wheels

I see around 17-18 mpg driving back and forth to work.

TexTJ209
08-30-2010, 05:05 PM
So on this Chevy transfer case pump rub situation...do the reman Chevy transfer cases suffer from the same issue? As the transfer case in my truck is clearly not the original. It's still shiny.

AggieTJ2007
08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
no the issue has probably been fixed. I think that mine is original and I haven't had any problems with ti

TexTJ209
08-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Other than the stickers being a little wrinkled from getting wet, my transfer case looks like somebody just pulled it off the shelf and installed it.

Gonna go by the dealer tomorrow and get them to do a VIN check so I can see when the case was installed and if it's had any other work done.

DRAGOONRANCH
10-23-2010, 05:21 AM
My burned engine harness in the crewcab

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rsharpe08/IMG_0947.jpg

burned gear shift cable

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/DRAGOONRANCH/Trips/Alto-Halloween%2010/24918926.jpg

Hmmm, was a bad weekend to have a gasser toe rig.... :flipoff2:

(and yes, I had been planning this post while we were there at Alto, but couldn't have dreamed you two would give me this much mud to sling. :gigem: )

DRAGOONRANCH
11-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Nice write up on a chevy/ford showdown.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/chevy-vs-ford-in-heavy-duty-rumble-in-the-rockies.html

Fredo
11-16-2010, 11:30 PM
I read that article yesterday and was thinking about posting it, but didn't want to join in the diesel douchebaggery WW3 that might have flared up from posting the article. I do like how they mentioned why they didn't test the Dodge as well.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Haha. I figured it would have rattled the birds from the bushes more, but oh well.

breckboarder55
11-17-2010, 12:50 AM
That's a pretty good read. I don't normally read truck tests, but from the few I have, I don't remember any real world scenarios like that.

stx4wheeler
04-08-2011, 07:49 AM
What's the expected realworld (ie what you all have gotten not what fags on the interweb says ) mileage hwy/city of a 2002 7.3 ford.

Im looking at a 02 ext cab long bed 2wd with around 90k on it.

KrazyKarl02
04-08-2011, 08:22 AM
I had a 1999 Death-250 with the 7.3 and the ZF 6 speed, 4x4 and got about 16 mpg with no difference on the highway or city. When towinf the Klogger on the highway I got about 14 to 15 depending on hills. When I towed Mike's gooseneck (which I am convinced had dead fat hookers packed in it), I went down to 11. This was also going out to the original Katemcy and doing 90.

BroncoJo
04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
99 4x4 Dually with the ZF6 got 15 in ideal conditions and 14.5 with everything else (city, windy, hills, loads <10,000 lbs). Only made short trips with anything heavy so my estimation is 11 mpg with >10,000 lbs.

Also that was nearly always wide open and billowing smoke :flipoff2:

BroncoJo
04-08-2011, 08:32 AM
99 4x4 Dually with the ZF6 got 15 in ideal conditions and 14.5 with everything else (city, windy, hills, loads <10,000 lbs). Only made short trips with anything heavy so my estimation is 11 mpg with >10,000 lbs.

Also that was nearly always wide open and billowing smoke :flipoff2:

just for reference my Dodge gets 15-17 mpg in ideal conditions and 11 for everything else.

mudtoy67
04-08-2011, 08:39 AM
just for reference my Dodge gets 15-17 mpg in ideal conditions and 11 for everything else.

That seems kind of low. Mine does about 19 mixed driving (mostly highway) and 13-15 towing the XJ. Did the bigger tires make that much a difference, or are you a hammer down kind of driver?

Sharpe
04-08-2011, 08:52 AM
What's the expected realworld (ie what you all have gotten not what fags on the interweb says ) mileage hwy/city of a 2002 7.3 ford.

Im looking at a 02 ext cab long bed 2wd with around 90k on it.

Ryno gets like 20 empty and 14 or so towing Pigpen with prety much this exact truck.

eight
04-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I would expect 14 city (depending on your definition of city) and 18 highway. I would also expect about 20 out of a 2wd on the interstate, excursion would do it. My dad's 7.3 single wheel 4x4s always got 15-16 on the highway.

Old dodge is still right on where it always is, 16.7mpg. If the transmission will ever go out I'll see what new injectors will do, they can't be that good anymore with 250K on them.

BroncoJo
04-08-2011, 06:55 PM
That seems kind of low. Mine does about 19 mixed driving (mostly highway) and 13-15 towing the XJ. Did the bigger tires make that much a difference, or are you a hammer down kind of driver?

Is yours hand calculated? If I keep it below 70 I can almost get 19.

mudtoy67
04-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Yes, that's hand calculated. I do keep it below 70.:D

DRAGOONRANCH
04-09-2011, 02:09 AM
I may have finally found a job where I fit in. Found out the boss has a chip in his D6 dozer!

stx4wheeler
04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Alright, I'm probably buying an 03 death 250 2wd.
I have zero knowledge of diesels other than the fact that I will now use the green handle at the gas station, and I'll will pay up the rear for oil changes.

Anything I need to know?

About how much is an oil change gonna run if I do it myself? Still 3-5k per oil change I assume.
How often do I need to change the fuel filter? Brands to stay away from or use?

Also, anything to look for besides your standard used vehicle things like leaking oil, tires, etc that is diesel specific? What brand of chips are the best bang for the buck? I won't be adding one for a while if at all, but figured the info wouldn't hurt.

The history on the truck, it was bought by my girlfriends parents in like 06-07 with around 60-65k and the dealership had sold and serviced it since new and has been babied since. This is the main reason I like this truck because I know it hasn't been "Travis'd out" :flipoff2:and has low miles for a 8yr old truck while being the last year of the 7.3l.

I feel this is a loaded question but, do you all with chips actually get better mileage if you don't drive like a bat out of he'll? Mainly interested in highway mileage?

BroncoJo
04-19-2011, 05:56 PM
I have zero knowledge of diesels other than the fact that I will now use the green handle at the gas station, and I'll will pay up the rear for oil changes.

Anything I need to know?

About how much is an oil change gonna run if I do it myself? Still 3-5k per oil change I assume.
IIRC $50, every 5k should be pretty safe

If possible stay away from the replacement top (just replace the filter)

Also, anything to look for besides your standard used vehicle things like leaking oil, tires, etc that is diesel specific? What brand of chips are the best bang for the buck? I won't be adding one for a while if at all, but figured the info wouldn't hurt.
Check the factory airbox for dirt in the intake tube

The history on the truck, it was bought by my girlfriends parents in like 06-07 with around 60-65k and the dealership had sold and serviced it since new and has been babied since. This is the main reason I like this truck because I know it hasn't been "Travis'd out" and has low miles for a 8yr old truck while being the last year of the 7.3l.

I feel this is a loaded question but, do you all with chips actually get better mileage if you don't drive like a bat out of he'll? Mainly interested in highway mileage?

Check out DP tuner, that's what I had. Both mine and my Dad's old 7.3's went for more than 250k without any motor work.

Sometimes (as the case of the dually) the factory airbox lets to much dirt pass, this fixes it
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/20022003-73l-ford-powerstroke-afe-stage-pro-dry-air-intake-p-6116.html?osCsid=2383e09b49ed9d26a0988c7d4c27678a

RCcola55
04-19-2011, 06:14 PM
I dont change my oil, it changes itself.

my TS chip on the second to highest setting got me 21mpg last tank and thats keeping it around 70, also get on ebay and find a cheap 4in turbo back kit. I spent just over 400 for exhaust and chip and it made a huge difference, only down fall is i would like to get a muffler.

major problem to look out for: fuel bowl o-rings going bad, turbo o-rings leaking, high pressure oil line going bad, and e-brake breaking.

KrazyKarl02
04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
major problem to look out for: fuel bowl o-rings going bad, turbo o-rings leaking, high pressure oil line going bad, and e-brake breaking.

I had all 3 of these happen on mine

stx4wheeler
04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
How would you identify the turbo o rings leaking?

robertf03
04-19-2011, 07:00 PM
spray carb cleaner around it and see if the idle increases

Fredo
04-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Pour gas all over the engine, then light a match....oh wait, that can't be right.

BroncoJo
04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
How would you identify the turbo o rings leaking?

Leaks oil

AggieTJ2007
04-19-2011, 08:23 PM
got my 37 gallon tank into today

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/CreightonRea/IMG_2402.jpg

AggieTJ2007
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Anything I need to know?

The history on the truck, it was bought by my girlfriends parents in like 06-07 with around 60-65k and the dealership had sold and serviced it since new and has been babied since. This is the main reason I like this truck because I know it hasn't been "Travis'd out" :flipoff2:and has low miles for a 8yr old truck while being the last year of the 7.3l.

my 7.3 the fuel bowl o-rings leaked but I ordered replacements / repair from ebay

Shaggy
04-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I change oil every 10k and let dealership do it. It is under $100 unless I get them to do other crap. I'm lazy I know

DRAGOONRANCH
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
6 point blow? (6.0L)

Head gaskets/studs if it hasn't been done already. You put big power to these engines, it's going to cause you trouble more than likely.

Amsoil has a new 25k mile filter. If you are going to do it yourself, think of how much less you would have to change it running it out that long. The marine/diesel oil is well suited to run mileage like that.

stx4wheeler
04-19-2011, 09:58 PM
No Ed it's a 7.3l in 03 you got to choose if you wanted the 7.3 or 6.0. You couldn't pay me to buy a 6.0 especially an early model. I also do not plan on putting big power to it. If I want to go fast I'll buy a sports car.

Thanks for the info guys, ed I'll pm you once I get the truck and start crunching numbers on filters and such.

DRAGOONRANCH
04-19-2011, 10:03 PM
no problem. I will cut you the same deal everyone else in the club gets (pretty much my cost plus shipping and tax)

Shaggy
04-21-2011, 09:09 AM
I need an oil change. PM me Ed.

stx4wheeler
04-24-2011, 09:13 PM
I picked up my new to me death 250 this weekend.

2003 xlt f-250 ext cab long bed
7.3L powerstroke with 91k on the ticker, power windows, towing mirrors,etc. It has the 4spd auto with 3.73 and a limited slip. Also has a hideaway gooseneck hitch, rails for a traditional 5th wheel hitch, and a ranchhand rear replacement bumper. It also has a frontier grill guard and westin(old man) steps, toolbox, and spray in bedliner.

So far I am happy with it. It has lots of power and seems to get decent mpg using less than a 1/4 of a tank going from C.S to Crosby. It is going to need tires very soon, which is fine with me as I can get rid of the texas tilt which involves 285's out back and 235's up front, and I also picked up a set of excursion 16" aluminium wheels to replace the steel wheels with chrome covers.

TdmayfieldIV
04-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Nice, i'm looking for something similar when I can get a car loan. Except I want a manual, rubber floors and wind up windows. Nothing to break

RCcola55
04-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Can you send me a better picture of those wheels, I may be interested in taking them off your hands

eight
04-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I have never seen a problem with turbo o-rings leaking. Don't remember a truck where they didn't leak. Assuming this is why the turbo air lines have oil at the boots.

Do yourself a favor and buy a cam sensor to keep in the truck, they go out often but are about $20 and 2 minutes to replace. Maybe print out some instructions on how to change it and keep them with it. It's the same one used in the 99-02 7.3s. When buying parts you are better off to tell them the truck is an 02.

eight
04-24-2011, 11:41 PM
As for programmer, superchips 60hp tune has always worked well and I think it's the cheapest. You can pull 20k with it up most hills without slowing. I also like SCT because it will fit any Ford, reads codes, and is updatable for new models.

While all tuners claim to provide better mileage, I know of none that actually do on a 7.3.

TdmayfieldIV
04-24-2011, 11:48 PM
I have never seen a problem with turbo o-rings leaking.

Go look at the dexter driveway. There's a sizeable spot from Ryan's truck (aka the deepwater horizon)

AggieTJ2007
04-25-2011, 06:15 AM
I have never seen a problem with turbo o-rings leaking. Don't remember a truck where they didn't leak. Assuming this is why the turbo air lines have oil at the boots.

Do yourself a favor and buy a cam sensor to keep in the truck, they go out often but are about $20 and 2 minutes to replace. Maybe print out some instructions on how to change it and keep them with it. It's the same one used in the 99-02 7.3s. When buying parts you are better off to tell them the truck is an 02.

i have got a spare cam sensor from my old 7.3 that you can have not sure if they are the same part number but pm me your address and I will mail it too you

stx4wheeler
04-26-2011, 10:13 PM
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2333764983.html

Tummy buy this!!

TdmayfieldIV
04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
perfect tow rig. If only i could get a car loan

JB
04-27-2011, 08:17 AM
I think Gulf Coast Crawl Shop built that truck. Saw it at Spring Creek a few years back. Also saw it hooked to a decent sized goose at BVORR for the MOROCC event last year.

TdmayfieldIV
04-27-2011, 08:24 AM
I want that truck more than I want my next breath

Sharpe
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Where are all the bitches gonna ride?

eight
04-27-2011, 11:00 AM
So they took out a ****ty gas motor and installed Ford's ****tiest diesel.

TdmayfieldIV
04-27-2011, 11:04 AM
7.3 is fords best diesel. 6.0 is the worst.

BroncoJo
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
7.3 is fords best diesel. 6.0 is the worst.

Did you read that off of fullsize?'

No way in hell I would pay 8k for that truck

TdmayfieldIV
04-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Did you read that offi of fullsize?'

No way in hell I would pay 8k for that truck

Would you not agree? 6.0 had head gasket and heat problems. 6.4 had eve cooler problems that lead to the same issues.

BroncoJo
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Would you not agree? 6.0 had head gasket and heat problems. 6.4 had eve cooler problems that lead to the same issues.

And the early power jokes made around 200 hp... There is no comparison between a 94 7.3 powerstroke and a 06 6.0 powerstroke

FJAggie07
04-27-2011, 11:20 AM

I think you are confusing the 7.3 put in this truck with the better later 7.3.

robertf03
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
mmmm, 32 year old truck with a 17 year old drivetrain.

Sounds like a dependable tow rig to me

KrazyKarl02
04-27-2011, 07:35 PM
And the early power jokes made around 200 hp... There is no comparison between a 94 7.3 powerstroke and a 06 6.0 powerstroke

2001ish 7.3's are the sexy time, non turbo'd 92ish is like a punch in the balls, 94ish is like a punch in the face....

BroncoJo
04-27-2011, 08:07 PM
2001ish 7.3's are the sexy time, non turbo'd 92ish is like a punch in the balls, 94ish is like a punch in the face....

Your right, Tommy should be punched in the face

Sparling
04-27-2011, 08:18 PM
7.3's weren't called powerstroke until 99. I'm pretty sure the PS and non-PS 7.3's are almost completely different engines but I could be wrong

BroncoJo
04-27-2011, 08:21 PM
7.3's weren't called powerstroke until 99. I'm pretty sure the PS and non-PS 7.3's are almost completely different engines but I could be wrong

Powerstrokes came in late 94, difference being powerstrokes don't have an injection pump like the 7.3 idi

TdmayfieldIV
04-27-2011, 09:40 PM

I didn't read the year I guess.

but yeah, in 92 there was the non turbo idi, then in 93 and 94 you had a choice of a turbo or non turbo idi

bcolman
04-27-2011, 09:46 PM
mmmm, 32 year old truck with a 17 year old drivetrain.

Sounds like a dependable tow rig to me

i would have thought this would be a comment from fred, but second in line would you flem.

FYI: Tommy you are dumb for wanting this rig, for that price you can get a reasonably new tow rig that will be much more reliable

Fredo
04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
I chose to take the high ground and sit this one out. :D

AggieTJ2007
04-28-2011, 06:18 AM

are you sure about this? I am pretty sure my 97 had a powerstroke badge on it

Sparling
04-28-2011, 06:30 AM
I think it was the super duty 7.3's that were different than the pre-SD powerstrokes. It's been a while since I looked all that crap up for my grandpas truck.

KrazyKarl02
04-28-2011, 11:58 AM

He's wrong, I think Knoeller's 92 had a powerstroke badge on it.

AggieTJ2007
04-28-2011, 04:39 PM
He's wrong, I think Knoeller's 92 had a powerstroke badge on it.

did it have glasspacks too? I cruised a 93 w/ 35's and glasspacks for a while in high school.

cool story I know

Shaggy
04-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Is Ed off the grid? I haven't heard from him on amsoil yet. I'm about to roll 13k on cheap oil and really need to get on this soonish.

StevenAg03
04-28-2011, 05:50 PM

The Powerstroke name came in 95. However, the engine became available mid-94 with a manual only. In 94, you could get the old 7.3 with and auto or manual also.

BroncoJo
04-28-2011, 05:58 PM
The Powerstroke name came in 95. However, the engine became available mid-94 with a manual only. In 94, you could get the old 7.3 with and auto or manual also.

sounds familiar

eight
04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I guess all you kids are too damn young.

I am too young for the 6.9, will leave that one out.

7.3 came out with no turbo in 88 and was available that way thru 1994. Reliable engine that got good mileage. Power was less than the 460, more than 351.

In 1994 a turbo option was added to the old 7.3. These made no more power than the non turbo version, but did burn holes in pistons. Had a "Turbo" badge on the side.

In 1994 the new 7.3 direct injection turbo was introduced. It also had the "Turbo" badge on the side, it was not named "Powerstroke" until 1995, but was the same engine. These got slightly less mileage than the old 7.3, and had a whole lot more power. Downshifting on every hill was a thing of the past, and they could outrun dodges. Always ran but never right. Almost every part on these engines liked to break, besides the mechanical parts and the glow plugs. Did not matter that the glow plugs were always good because the controller and wire harness for them always went bad. Most common problems were the injectors and the flywheels (manual trans, Ford's autos still sucked at this time). This engine was used to 1998 (there were a few cab/chassis trucks called 1998). You could get 20-40 hp chips for these trucks, hardly made a difference.

1999 saw had a new powerstroke for the new body style and now included an intercooler, had issues with injectors and wire harness. Ford corrected this and the good powerstroke was really 99.5-2003. The early 99s were probably all upgraded to 99.5 style so they can be considered good too. Only remaining constant problem was the cam sensor, which costs $20-30 and takes 5 minutes to replace. These engines got slightly less mileage and had slightly more power than the previous ones. They were also the first Ford diesels that really responded to a tune. The best truck to have would be 02-03, slightly updated interior and much quieter. It was also with this generation of trucks that ford came out with a good automatic transmission.

2003 saw the introduction of the 6.0. 2003 and 2004 had many issues, mainly with head gaskets and egr coolers. 2005-2007 were pretty good but still had head gasket and egr cooler problems. I would not pass on one if it were cheap enough, as $3000 will fix the problems and get you a truck as reliable as the good 7.3s, with a better automatic transmission, better suspension, better brakes, better mileage, better everything. These trucks could make crazy power with just an intake, tune, and exhaust. My 2005 with just these mods would run the same as my little brother's 99 with intake, exhaust, tuner, aftermarket turbo, aftermarket injectors, and methanol injection.

2008-2010 6.4L were good engines, made a lot of power, but mileage really sucked. Deletion of DPF got mileage solidly into 2 digits. Last I drove one it had 34,000 lbs behind it, and the accelerator pedal never neared the floor, this was with air intake, SCT tune, DPF delete, and 4.30 gears though.

2011 6.7L, lots of talk. Amazing how well they run, and how smooth they accelerate, will pull 30,000 lbs with no struggle, completely stock. Mileage is not near what its talked up to be. Really about what the 7.3s got, less than the 6.0. It just seems really good compared to the previous trucks, and what dodge has to offer. Dually will get 15mpg, while single wheel runs about 16.5mpg. I would imagine a 2wd single cab would cruise at 20mpg. They haven't been out long, but I have not heard of one single issue.

AggieTJ2007
04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
6.9 was the first diesel i ever drove

stx4wheeler
04-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Can I run 285's on the front of my 2wd f-250 without any rub, or do I need to stick with 265 or 275's?

KrazyKarl02
04-28-2011, 08:37 PM
did it have glasspacks too? I cruised a 93 w/ 35's and glasspacks for a while in high school.

cool story I know

Cherry bombs....

stx4wheeler
05-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Can I run 285's on the front of my 2wd f-250 without any rub, or do I need to stick with 265 or 275's?

Just finished swapping the rear tires to the front and 285/75/16 fit with no rub with about and inch or inch and a half at full lock.

Also, the rpm difference of 235 vs 285's was prolly 100rpm or less at 70mph.

robertf03
05-05-2011, 08:43 PM
prolly want a cracker?

eight
05-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I would run some ribbed 235/85/16 on the front and AT 265/75/16 on the back and forget about rotating tires.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-06-2011, 05:52 AM
I would run some ribbed 235/85/16 on the front and AT 265/75/16 on the back and forget about rotating tires.

I would only run the ribbed in your rear....

FJAggie07
05-13-2011, 04:57 PM
just another day in diesel paradise...loaded up today to take the trucks out in the next couple weeks.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/starranchjoker/0099ca00.jpg

eight
07-24-2011, 06:55 PM
So, what's the latest on stock replacement fuel pumps for dodge 24 valve diesels? I have no interest in dogs or fass or whatever the high dollar stuff is. Last I checked everyone was all about the new Airtex pumps so I got one of them. Lasted about 20K. My 2 stock pumps lasted over 100K each. When the stock pumps went bad they did it slowly, still pumped a few psi. I pulled a plug out of the top of the fuel filter and the airtex pumps nothing. I pulled about 21,000 lbs with the old dodge Friday, sure the pump was out then but it never acted like anything was wrong. Internet search today says the airtex is crap.

TdmayfieldIV
07-24-2011, 11:50 PM
we sell airtex and it is ****

On another note, a 2011 dodge 3500 came into work today because it had a check engine light on. And at 15,000 miles, there was an egr code and a airflow sensor code.

It makes this commercial laughable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8y--fHpLXk

StevenAg03
07-25-2011, 12:45 AM
So, what's the latest on stock replacement fuel pumps for dodge 24 valve diesels? I have no interest in dogs or fass or whatever the high dollar stuff is. Last I checked everyone was all about the new Airtex pumps so I got one of them. Lasted about 20K. My 2 stock pumps lasted over 100K each. When the stock pumps went bad they did it slowly, still pumped a few psi. I pulled a plug out of the top of the fuel filter and the airtex pumps nothing. I pulled about 21,000 lbs with the old dodge Friday, sure the pump was out then but it never acted like anything was wrong. Internet search today says the airtex is crap.

i dont think there is much in the way of stock replacements. I had a Holley Blue on mine for 3-4 years in addition to the stock pump. I went this route because it was cheaper than the FASS or AirDogs. After replacing it 4 times, i bought the AirDog Raptor.

If you dont want to spend the 400 for the AirDog, by another stock pump.

85cj7
07-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Just joined the diesel team!
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp144/rkblankenship/DSC02905.jpg

FJAggie07
07-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Cool truck! Gay wheels...

JB
07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Please tell me that it does not have dual pipes out the back.

Please tell me you are removing the mexicano fuell filler

sam_hodnett
07-25-2011, 03:50 PM
It would be super clean without the duals, ghey door handles, ghey chrome gas cap, and the wheels are meh

BroncoJo
07-25-2011, 05:00 PM
What is it with you and mexican trucks? :flipoff2::flipoff2:

I like it and bet with a few tweeks (handles and gas cap removed) it will look great:gigem:

Shaggy
07-25-2011, 05:21 PM
I only see one pic. Am I missing something?

85cj7
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Just joined the diesel team!
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp144/rkblankenship/DSC02905.jpg

2006 Silverado 2500hd CCSB, Exactly what I wanted
Duramax/Allison 6spd with 102K miles Didn't know much about them until researching and talking to Ed (Thanks!). Absolutely in love with this combo
2wd
LT2 model which means it has just about every option except a moon roof. Great Interior. Very very little wear and I don't find the interior styling nearly as bothering as some reviews on-line made it seem

Factory options.

Pwr windows/locks/seats/mirrors
Keyless entry
Leather interior
Heated seats/mirrors
Tow package
LBZ/6spd Allison tranny
Front captain seats with rear bench and non-folding console up front.
Bose premium sound system with in dash cd changer, and separate rear radio.
Color is a metallic grey/almost a pewter.
Separate digital climate control for front driver and passenger.
Overhead console with map lights

Aftermarket options and maintenance.

Front levelling kit with Cognito upper control arms(around 3-3.5" lift)
Bilstein shocks all around
20" incubus rims A LITTLE bling for my liking but they are growing on me and replace the factory wheels that I have read so many bad reviews on-line about
275/65 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S Immediately noticed they are a little loud
billet door handles My only hesitation with buying this truck. Going back to stock would be nice but available cash is short at this point after the initial investment
billet antenna
billet grill
aluminum gas cap door
bedlocker electronic toneau cover with switch mounted under dash Absolutely bad a$$ and in love with it. Great to be able to leave some stuff in the bed with no worries about it walking away
gas strut assisted tailgate
built storage box for behind rear seat
Built in blue tooth with microphone next to the visor in the ceiling.
Banks monster exhaust
Banks air intake
Drop in Bedliner
HID lights(pretty sure they are HID, definitely not factory)
10% tint on all windows except windshield

For maintenance, previous owner has changed the engine oil, rear diff both to mobile synthetic. The transmission cooler lines were replaced with new lines, and the fluid was switched to transynd synthetic as well; plus regularly changed out all filters including the fuel filter. All of this was done at 100k miles. I also had all 4 ball joints replaced at 101k miles, brakes checked out good, and lubed all of the joints in the suspension with synthetic grease.

In short I am very happy with the buy. Almost all of the 'mods' I would have wanted to do anyway down the line so it saves me cash and time. Some of the 'mods' I would like to reverse but that will all occur with time. This truck will last me a long time and will be able to pull the jeep and get me to work just fine.

:flipoff2:And no mexican would be able to afford this truck without the help of credit cards or some lock picks.:flipoff2:

JB
07-25-2011, 09:35 PM
:flipoff2:And no mexican would be able to afford this truck without the help of credit cards or some lock picks.:flipoff2:

You don't know too many Mexicans huh? I'll try and count the King Ranches on my jobsite tomorrow.

There is a nice truck in there somewhere. You know what's rice and what's not.....hopefully.

TexTJ209
07-25-2011, 09:36 PM
2wd, tonneau cover and loaded with gay blingy bits. You bring fail to this thread.

DRAGOONRANCH
07-25-2011, 09:39 PM
2wd, tonneau cover and loaded with gay blingy bits. You bring fail to this thread.

That stuff is just there to distract everyone from the awesome that is the 06-07 dirtymaxes. ;)

85cj7
07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm sorry my greatest single purchase I've ever made couldn't hold up to TAMOR web-wheeling standards. I'll enjoy driving it everyday, but keep hate'in.
*Ed, Thanks for your advice on the buy and your non-partisan opinion, I appreciate it*

JB
07-25-2011, 09:40 PM

I wouldn't hate on the 2wd. I would hate on that its trying really hard to look like its 4wd.

JB
07-25-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry my greatest single purchase I've ever made couldn't hold up to TAMOR web-wheeling standards. All you haters can suck it.

*Ed, Thanks for your advice on the buy and your non-partisan opinion, I appreciate it*

O come'on. You post a pic of semi-riced out diesel, then you post details revealing its even more riced out then the pic revealed and didn't expect to get razzed a little?:)

85cj7
07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Well then I guess I like them riced out. There are certainly some things added to this truck that I would not have paid for piecemeal but excluding the fuel filler and handles (which I have already acknowledged will be changed out) I dig everything else on the truck. And ultimately isn't that the point of what the remainder of us that still pick up a wrench do as a hobby is modify our vehicles to our liking? So if you think it's a ricer, then, okay; but I'll keep smiling all the way down the road with the jeep in tow.

AggieTJ2007
07-25-2011, 10:10 PM
you got all of the options except the good mirrors

Gas strut tailgate ...Really?

Oh factory headlights are pretty damn bright on these trucks they definetely piss people off.

Oh and this mexican already has his truck payed for..:flipoff2:

Fredo
07-25-2011, 10:49 PM
2006 Silverado 2500hd CCSB, Exactly what I wanted
Duramax/Allison 6spd with 102K miles Didn't know much about them until researching and talking to Ed (Thanks!). Absolutely in love with this combo
2wd
LT2 model which means it has just about every option except a moon roof. Great Interior. Very very little wear and I don't find the interior styling nearly as bothering as some reviews on-line made it seem

Factory options.

Pwr windows/locks/seats/mirrors
Keyless entry
Leather interior
Heated seats/mirrors
Tow package
LBZ/6spd Allison tranny
Front captain seats with rear bench and non-folding console up front.
Bose premium sound system with in dash cd changer, and separate rear radio.
Color is a metallic grey/almost a pewter.
Separate digital climate control for front driver and passenger.
Overhead console with map lights

Aftermarket options and maintenance.

Front levelling kit with Cognito upper control arms(around 3-3.5" lift)
Bilstein shocks all around
20" incubus rims A LITTLE bling for my liking but they are growing on me and replace the factory wheels that I have read so many bad reviews on-line about
275/65 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S Immediately noticed they are a little loud
billet door handles My only hesitation with buying this truck. Going back to stock would be nice but available cash is short at this point after the initial investment
billet antenna
billet grill
aluminum gas cap door
bedlocker electronic toneau cover with switch mounted under dash Absolutely bad a$$ and in love with it. Great to be able to leave some stuff in the bed with no worries about it walking away
gas strut assisted tailgate
built storage box for behind rear seat
Built in blue tooth with microphone next to the visor in the ceiling.
Banks monster exhaust
Banks air intake
Drop in Bedliner
HID lights(pretty sure they are HID, definitely not factory)
10% tint on all windows except windshield

For maintenance, previous owner has changed the engine oil, rear diff both to mobile synthetic. The transmission cooler lines were replaced with new lines, and the fluid was switched to transynd synthetic as well; plus regularly changed out all filters including the fuel filter. All of this was done at 100k miles. I also had all 4 ball joints replaced at 101k miles, brakes checked out good, and lubed all of the joints in the suspension with synthetic grease.

In short I am very happy with the buy. Almost all of the 'mods' I would have wanted to do anyway down the line so it saves me cash and time. Some of the 'mods' I would like to reverse but that will all occur with time. This truck will last me a long time and will be able to pull the jeep and get me to work just fine.

Better check the gear ratio on it!

DRAGOONRANCH
07-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Better check the gear ratio on it!

3.73, the new all purpose ratio at Chevy. :( (for being the only option with the dmax/ally, it works well with most all loads. It can be a little tall when you are hauling a BIG one, but it's not too bad.)

:D