PDA

View Full Version : Fix this car....

JB
02-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Let me type out loud here...

I am thinking of picking up an unmolested 90 Bronco with a 5.8 and 70k miles. Owner told me that he thinks its has a fuel pump problem and after a quick look, one of the cardoc guys thinks the same thing. I got in it earlier and it started right up (been sitting for 2 months). I drove it maybe 100yards and it died completly. Now it has no acccesory power, but headlghts/interior lights work. No windows, radio, starter, fuel pump.

The ignition lock cylinder is damaged, but I do not think it is issue. I am thinking the starter switch on the column. When you turn the key, nothing happens.

I am unsure, only because i looked at it for like 20minutes in the dark.

What do ya'll think?

JB
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I worked on it today and got a new switch and lock cylinder installed and repaired a damaged fusible link near the battery area. Also installed new battery and cable ends. I now have all accesory power. I am also getting fuel, but no spark. Checked all the fuses as well as the ICM. It cranks, but will not start......

ideas?

Doug Krebs
02-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Let me type out loud here...

I am thinking of picking up an unmolested 90 Bronco with a 5.8 and 70k miles. Owner told me that he thinks its has a fuel pump problem and after a quick look, one of the cardoc guys thinks the same thing. I got in it earlier and it started right up (been sitting for 2 months). I drove it maybe 100yards and it died completly. Now it has no acccesory power, but headlghts/interior lights work. No windows, radio, starter, fuel pump.

The ignition lock cylinder is damaged, but I do not think it is issue. I am thinking the starter switch on the column. When you turn the key, nothing happens.

I am unsure, only because i looked at it for like 20minutes in the dark.

What do ya'll think?

My blazer does the same crap... never figured it out.

bcolman
02-28-2007, 06:53 PM
did you check the starter?

JB
02-28-2007, 07:10 PM
did you check the starter?

I ruled it out due to not having spark

fbronco86
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
I ruled it out due to not having spark

How are the battery connections?

Ground?

Do you get no spark and no fuel pump at the same time?

Reckless
02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
This will fix it...

TMatheaus
02-28-2007, 08:18 PM
ignition module or the pick up coil

colman
02-28-2007, 08:46 PM
do you have a condensor on that thing?

sasquatch
02-28-2007, 09:14 PM

condensors are used with points ignition.

fbronco86
02-28-2007, 10:45 PM

Hello 1990 how about fuel injection

hall sensor, pick up, coil are the parts for a ford FI

JB
02-28-2007, 11:43 PM
I tested the old ICM and it was good, but I warrantied out a new one just for Sh&Gs.

Battery connections are new. I jsut put in a new battery and a new positive cable and new new neg cable end today.

Anyhow, I still have now spark.

fbronco86
03-01-2007, 07:34 AM
I tested the old ICM and it was good, but I warrantied out a new one just for Sh&Gs.

Battery connections are new. I jsut put in a new battery and a new positive cable and new new neg cable end today.

Anyhow, I still have now spark.

Are you getting 12 volts at the coil when you are cranking?

JB
03-01-2007, 07:29 PM
i do not think I am getting power to the coil

replaced eec relay today, still no start

fbronco86
03-01-2007, 08:44 PM
i do not think I am getting power to the coil

replaced eec relay today, still no start

Is the computer getting power?

Could be the ignition switch.

The best way to solve this problem is to get a voltmeter and see where your voltage stops. Or you can aimlessly replace parts.

JB
03-01-2007, 09:55 PM
The lock cylinder, ignition switch, battery, and cables all needed to be replaced anyhow. I have thrown the ICM and relay at it in hopes it woul fix it, but of course, it didnt.

william_ace
03-01-2007, 10:40 PM
what are you gonna do with this bronco?

JB
03-02-2007, 02:21 AM
flip it

JB
03-04-2007, 11:33 PM
There are several wires that go to the fuel pump relay. Two or these wires were frayed and exposed for whatever reason and they were touchign each other. I fixed it with some electrical tape for now, but will splice in a new connector when it comes tomorrow.

I did a tune up today
Replaced:
spark plugs with Motorcraft
wires
cap/rotor
oil change
fuel filter.

The truck runs and idles fine, but it will not get out of its own way. It will get to highway speeds, but very slowly. Heres my question...
When I replaced the ICM, I rotated the distributor to get it off. When I put it back, I jsut eyed it. Could this be my problem? I dont have a timing light

WOuld this truck have a C6? It is a 90 Bronco with a 351

Unfortunatly, it leaks a small amount of water from apparentlly a small crack on the radiator. Easy fix, but expensive.

Also needs a tailgate window motor gear kit, armrests, 1 speaker, and another fake woodgrain dash piece.

william_ace
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
i've got a newish 4 core radiator that i took out of a 1990 bronco. make an offer if you would like.

william_ace
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
and it probably has the e4od

CheapJeep
03-05-2007, 02:12 AM
So that's what a 1990 Bronco looks like unhacked?! Sure does look nice compared to that black one in the club missing all sorts of body panels... :flipoff2:

william_ace
03-05-2007, 02:13 AM
and to think once his used to look like that

JB
03-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Turns out the timing was off. Set it to 12 b tdc and she screams. I but the tailgate window motor gear kit in it today and it works like a champ. It needs 1 speaker, a heater core and the headlights cleaned up, then she is good to go. O, and I forgot it had overdrive, so off course its not a C6. Its a AODE or a e40D. And the radiator stopped leaking by itself.

See pics in the for sale sections :D

Thanks for the help.

RCcola55
03-05-2007, 09:35 PM
i got the rear speakers from mine if you want them

william_ace
03-05-2007, 09:37 PM
if it says METRIC on the bottom of the transmission pan it is an e4od.

JB
03-25-2007, 08:12 PM
New issues:

Sometimes, when it starts, the check engine light will be on, it will be idling rough, and smoke will be coming from the tailpipe. If I put it in gear, it will move but if I give it gas, it will sputter and barely move. After a minute or two, the check engine light will go off, and everything willl go back to normal and it runs fine. If I interpreted the flashes right, it gave be a code 22, which is a MAP sensor, but I do not really trust my interpretation.

Next, it will not start after sitting for several hours(overnight). I will turn the key and it will crank but will not start. The fuel pump is constantly on(priming) when this is happening. After leaving it with the acc on for a few minutes and scratching my head or constanstly turning the key back and forth, I will hear clicking from the fuel pump/eec relays, the pump will stop priming and it will start up just fine, then run all day long, turning it on and off. What tells the fuel pump to stop priming after the typical 2 sec?

I believe this to be two seperate problems, with the most important being the no-start issue.

EEC possibly?

These electrical gremlins are driving me crazy and the winning bidder is wanting to pick this truck up this weekend.

Help me out. Thanks

RCcola55
03-25-2007, 08:29 PM
change the MAP sensor made mine run like a charm after that whole feasco, and as for the fuel pump try replacing the relay sometimes it sticks

robertf03
03-25-2007, 09:28 PM
this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Bronco-4x4-Low-Mile-Texas-Truck_W0QQitemZ270102090631QQcategoryZ6222QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

no mention of the no start problems....

If there is input to the ecm from the ICM it continues to run the fuel pump. You can loosen the distributor and rotate it back and forth to check that the pickup is working, or if you rotate it maybe it will stop triggering the fuel pump when it get stuck on. are the injectors opening when it does this? I highly doubt the relay is sticking.

I seem to remember mine having a big brown diode close to the icm plug that corroded and caused something similar

JB
03-25-2007, 10:21 PM
this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Bronco-4x4-Low-Mile-Texas-Truck_W0QQitemZ270102090631QQcategoryZ6222QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

no mention of the no start problems....

:rolleyes:

Dont worry about that

I have done the relay shuffle with at least 3-4 different relays and am still getting the same problem. When it finally decides to start, the FP relay is warm, not hot, just warm. It will not start until it is warm. I think it is a short somewhere. It sucks because it is intermintent, so once you get it running it is hard to diagnose.

JB
03-26-2007, 08:35 PM
After some research (look here http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18148 ) I think I might have a bad ground at the ECM.

The issue he had is EXACTLY th same as I have.

JB
03-28-2007, 04:52 PM
It was the ECM