PDA

View Full Version : turbos

bburris
10-29-2002, 02:55 AM
Aight...I understand the idea and workings of a turbo, I just don't know what to look for in one...

Let's say someone had a GM 3.8 V6. What kind of turbo would be needed to get some more HP and torque from that motor? There are quite a few Garrett T2 and T3 turbos, I just don't know what the hell the difference is, or much of anything else for that matter.

Thanks for the help...

Chadnutz
10-29-2002, 07:46 AM
Why exactly do you want to waste money on a turbo when your jeep doesn't run?

Or is this for someone else with a Chevy?

Rex
10-29-2002, 09:44 AM
Generally, the bigger the turbo, the longer it takes to spool up. That means it will be better at higher rpm's, more hp less torque. Really one of the main things is getting a wastegate that matches the turbo. :D

bburris
10-29-2002, 12:25 PM
My Jeep actually does run, so shove some nutz up your butt.

I'm thinking about putting a 3.8 V6 in my Jeep to get some more power, mainly because it will bolt directly to the 4 cylinder bellhousing. There is still the issue of not being a V8 though, so I'm trying to figure out how to get more power. Again, I know how they work and what the differences in size mean, I just don't know what size would work for a 3.8L V6 engine. I wouldn't want one that is too small and would hinder power instead of gaining, but I don't think it would take a very large one to get the job done.

Ideally, I would like to find a car with this engine that has the factory turbo/supercharger on it. I know I won't ever be lucky enough, but I'm imagining a Grand National TJ...

BigRedFord04
10-29-2002, 12:51 PM
Some Grand Prix's have the factory supercharger on them.

Seth
10-29-2002, 07:06 PM
Brett it seems kind of like a hard way for power.....can you not seel your jeep and buy a 4.0?? or even go with a more common swap?? but hey to each his own...