PDA

View Full Version : 4 runner

Eckert
04-01-2007, 07:10 PM
looking for a 1st gen 4runner. sold my samurai so i got a grand or so to spend.

Tyler

JeepPhisherman
04-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Don't know if you can get into a 1st gen that's worth a **** for a grand.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
no you won't, unless you're very lucky.

That said, there is a white 4runner on the left side of the road just as you are coming into caldwell on HW21. There is a house located out in a field, and its sitting next to it. Looks like it hasn't moved for a while. Might be worth stopping in and asking about it with cash in hand

Eckert
04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
no you won't, unless you're very lucky.

That said, there is a white 4runner on the left side of the road just as you are coming into caldwell on HW21. There is a house located out in a field, and its sitting next to it. Looks like it hasn't moved for a while. Might be worth stopping in and asking about it with cash in hand

thanks! I go that way all the time. Im not looking for a show winner. but im pretty certain i can find one thats in running driving condition thats ragged out for around a grand. im just looking for a good base to build upon. i dont want to spend over 1500. im being patient in finding one so hopefully a good deal will come along.

Tyler

Shaggy
04-03-2007, 09:08 AM
get a waganeer... they come with dana 44s, and a v8 and can be had for cheap. They are pretty easy to find too. I think I wouldnt mind building one

BMFScout
04-03-2007, 11:17 AM
get a waganeer... they come with dana 44s, and a v8 and can be had for cheap. They are pretty easy to find too.

And they suck!

sasquatch
04-03-2007, 11:23 AM
find a truck like mine, 70s era fords can take alot of flogging

FJAggie07
04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Check TTORA, and Texas Chapter of TTORA, check ih8mud.com, check ebay, check craigslist here, houston, austin, and dallas. Check autotrader. I will check my Dallas toyota club too.

You can get one that cheap, but remember Toyota guys are a flippin cult and 1st gen 4runners are not the top thing wanted but they aren't far from it.

Oh and I saw this one out in front of the auto parts place on Harvey. Talk about ghettofide piece of ****e, roll in an instant, has a small block chevy in it, and it doesn't even have shocks in the front. But check out that mad welding skills on those 12" blocks on the frame, at least the blocks aren't under the springs...

Oh and last pic i stood in front of it to allow a judge for height, I am 6'3", AND if this is someones rig on here, and I am dogging on ya, I don't care.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/starranchjoker/CIMG6908.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/starranchjoker/CIMG6909.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/starranchjoker/CIMG6910.jpg

sammybeast
04-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I can get you a few in California for $500-1000 but then you would have to spend about $600.00 to get it shipped here. I have a buddy with a 1985 1/2 with the straight axle and efi, he wants to sell it I think, but it has a newer engine but alot of original miles on it.

TxCruzr
04-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I saw that 4runner out there a few weeks ago. I would so wheel the **** outa that :laughing:
Its going to be hard to find a running 4runner that still has a body on it for $1k

JB
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
its built for mud, not that that warrants some of the issues, but yeah, its a Shiloh Ridge cruiser

colman
04-03-2007, 01:49 PM
chet owns that thing. he is the manager or something like that of car doc right there. its a mud toy

CRaSHnBuRN
04-03-2007, 02:52 PM
thanks! I go that way all the time. Im not looking for a show winner. but im pretty certain i can find one thats in running driving condition thats ragged out for around a grand. im just looking for a good base to build upon. i dont want to spend over 1500. im being patient in finding one so hopefully a good deal will come along.

Tyler

For 1500, you may get lucky, but most likely all thats gonna be in that range are in serious need of work or rust buckets. Like its been said, these are very popular with toy builders, but also with the hunting crowd and high schoolers because of the removable top.

Give us your reasons for wanting one. Perhaps there would be a vehicle that could fit those needs, that may work as a substitute if you don't find what you want.

As for me, I spent a little over 3k for mine, but the body is straight, rust free and it runs well. Some people have *****ed at me for cutting it up since it was in that kind of condition, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I've been looking for one for years, and they always wanted way to much money, and the thing has always been rusted out or in real bad shape

JB
04-03-2007, 02:59 PM
http://www.longhornoffroad.com/garage/viewtopic.php?t=106

Eckert
04-03-2007, 08:18 PM
the one above sold for $250. i already contactd him.thanks though.

I already have a 1980 jeep cherokee. Ive seen them built and so on but its not really want i want to build, and it needs work. i want a 4runner becuase i love the way they look and the huge aftermarket for them. and they are light. Back home i worked for a shop and a good 80% of the trucks that went through there were some type of toyota 4x4. so i naturally took a liking for them and learned alot about them.

JeepPhisherman
04-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Not a 4Runner, but it's probably a good place to start and it's a grand...
http://houston.craigslist.org/car/289012141.html

Eckert
04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
it is a good base, but i dont want to get into something were someone left off and did it halfass.

I found a 87 sr5 4runner in the Hill country for $1200. 4cyl, 5spd, its complete and all original but it has 270K. recent inspection and registration. has some rust around the fenders. doesnt look too bad and nothing a sawzall couldnt fix. plan on cutting the fenders anyways. sound like a good deal? im susposed to get pics later this afternoon and ill post them up.

Tyler

pics. what do yall think?

bcolman
04-04-2007, 07:44 PM
i think that is ifs, so i dont know what that means to you, but if i was looking i would wait and get one with a solid axle.

DRAGOONRANCH
04-04-2007, 07:50 PM
it's definitely IFS, but unless you nutz it, the sas shouldn't be too much of a problem. :gigem:

Eckert
04-04-2007, 10:35 PM
thinking AllPro for a SAS kit. im just trying to find a decent running 4runner. im not planning on building it up right away, but over the (hopefully) 4 years while im up here. plus i plan to drive it around town too.

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 10:17 AM
i think that is ifs, so i dont know what that means to you, but if i was looking i would wait and get one with a solid axle.

1st gen's came with IFS and I wouldn't want to follow up on someone elses work on SAS's

mudtoy67
04-05-2007, 10:25 AM
1st gen's came with IFS and I wouldn't want to follow up on someone elses work on SAS's

The 85 4runner had a solid axle still. IFS on toyotas wan't until 86

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 11:18 AM
The 85 4runner had a solid axle still. IFS on toyotas wan't until 86

Ok sorry what I meant to say was find ANY 85 4runner or truck running WELL for a grand and I will see monkeys fly out of my ass. :gigem: :flipoff2:

EDIT: for knit picking *******s like garrett. :flipoff2:

fbronco86
04-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok sorry what I meant to say was find ANY 85 4runner or truck running for a grand and I will see monkeys fly out of my ass. :gigem: :flipoff2:

You anit never lived in east texas. All you have to do is find some guy who needs to make a house payment or rent and you can pick up stuff cheap. Thats how I got my dirt bike. :gigem:

Edit you can also pick up glocks cheap that way too.

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
You anit never lived in east texas.

...yeah um thanks for reminding me that unfortunately I had the great privalege to grow up there, in the **** hole that is Larue, Tx (that would be about 10 miles east of Athens, and if you people still don't know where that is try right in between Canton, Palestine, Jacksonville, and Cedar Creek Lake)

JeepPhisherman
04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Ok sorry what I meant to say was find ANY 85 4runner or truck running for a grand and I will see monkeys fly out of my ass. :gigem: :flipoff2:

The truck I posted might be an 85. I'd guess 83 though

DRAGOONRANCH
04-05-2007, 01:23 PM
You anit never lived in east texas. All you have to do is find some guy who needs to make a house payment or rent and you can pick up stuff cheap. Thats how I got my dirt bike. :gigem:

and by "house payment", do you really mean pay his "canadian cold medicine dealer"?

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 01:33 PM
and by "house payment", do you really mean pay his "canadian cold medicine dealer"?

God I love the smell of a meth lab in the morning...

Eckert
04-05-2007, 01:34 PM

i tried that route, bad idea. bank still had the title and he needed money quick. plus i was in a hurry to get the hell outta there. I dont plan on heading east for any of my purchases again. however, i did sell the samurai for $800 to some guy out of east Texas. so i guess it goes both ways. think a running IFS rig is worth 1200? from what i can tell, ill spend a little more to preform a sfa, but much better parts. I cant find where a decent 85 anything was sold for less than 2K. or is my logic way off?

CRaSHnBuRN
04-05-2007, 01:37 PM
thinking AllPro for a SAS kit. im just trying to find a decent running 4runner. im not planning on building it up right away, but over the (hopefully) 4 years while im up here. plus i plan to drive it around town too.

Okay, that thing is really rusty. The truck I broke in half had less body rust than that. Make damn sure you check the frame, I mean really check it. Pull up the carpet in the front and rear floorboards and check for rust there to. I'd say the rust in the back is far enough into the wheel wells that its past what you will easily be able to cut out. Was this thing from up north? That looks like the stuff you would see where they salt the roads. If it was me, I'd pass, but its up to you. If the top or tailgate need work, or are rusty, I'll have mine up for sale in a month or so.

As for the all poop kit, skip it. You can build a SAS kit for a fraction of that cost

CRaSHnBuRN
04-05-2007, 01:38 PM
IFS rigs are better platforms to start with, actually, since they are easier and cheaper to come by, and have better parts

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 01:43 PM
i tried that route, bad idea. bank still had the title and he needed money quick. plus i was in a hurry to get the hell outta there. I dont plan on heading east for any of my purchases again. however, i did sell the samurai for $800 to some guy out of east Texas. so i guess it goes both ways. think a running IFS rig is worth 1200? from what i can tell, ill spend a little more to preform a sfa, but much better parts. I cant find where a decent 85 anything was sold for less than 2K. or is my logic way off?

Nah your right, all the 85's that are half way decent get snatched up by the toyota cult. I (and this is only my opinion) would rather save the money now and get a late model 1st gen 4runner and get all your ducks in a row and do the SAS right with a good axle. I don't know what else you want to do but depending on the size tires you wanna run, and with either the 22re or the 3.slow v6's that were in those 1st gen 4runners if you put any kind of good size tire you are going to want to regear and then you know if you put anything over a 34" tire on stock toyota axles you WILL break something, so I say get everything lined up now, what size tires, gears, lockers(welded) and lift you wanna do to a runner and then make the decision to buy an <85 model or just go ahead with the IFS and put the correct axle and gears under her.

Again I have ****ty opinions so take it or leave it.

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
As for the all poop kit, skip it. You can build a SAS kit for a fraction of that cost

Not to mention their customer service is far from stellar...

I stay clear of anything All-Pro (that is untill they start selling better gears for my FJC, THEN I might start going crazy on the FJC...)

Eckert
04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
when i checked the vin it was registered in central cali for the first ten years and central texas for the latter ten. the front end doesnt look bad, neither does the tailgate? Im susposed to get pick of the rear portion of the frame by the front hangers and under body shots too. seems to be a common problem with the fenderwell rust.

Eckert
04-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Nah your right, all the 85's that are half way decent get snatched up by the toyota cult. I (and this is only my opinion) would rather save the money now and get a late model 1st gen 4runner and get all your ducks in a row and do the SAS right with a good axle. I don't know what else you want to do but depending on the size tires you wanna run, and with either the 22re or the 3.slow v6's that were in those 1st gen 4runners if you put any kind of good size tire you are going to want to regear and then you know if you put anything over a 34" tire on stock toyota axles you WILL break something, so I say get everything lined up now, what size tires, gears, lockers(welded) and lift you wanna do to a runner and then make the decision to buy an <85 model or just go ahead with the IFS and put the correct axle and gears under her.

Again I have ****ty opinions so take it or leave it.

what i have in my head for a baseline is 35-36in tires, dual cases, and either detroits or carrier lockers (depending on funds). like i said, i not going to go balls deep all at once, but progress over the next few years. but first thing i would do is a SAS to have the good base to go on.

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
what i have in my head for a baseline is 35-36in tires, dual cases, and either detroits or carrier lockers (depending on funds). like i said, i not going to go balls deep all at once, but progress over the next few years. but first thing i would do is a SAS to have the good base to go on.

Like I said the old toyota axles sucked at anything over 35's. I would go IFS and do it. I would talk the 4runner guy down to a grand and buy it.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
like I said, that thing looks abused and rusted out. I'd keep looking, or take a little time and save some cash for something better. If you could get 3k together, your options would greatly improve.

Marlin, Front Range, Sky Mfg, and Inchworm are good toy vendors to support. After some bad experiences with All poop, I won't deal with them anymore. And we won't even start on trail gear

CRaSHnBuRN
04-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Like I said the old toyota axles sucked at anything over 35's. I would go IFS and do it. I would talk the 4runner guy down to a grand and buy it.

only the birfs sucked, and there are fixes for those which can be had for much cheaper than the parts needed to beef many other axles

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
...And we won't even start on trail gear

Can you say stolen designs, cheap chinese manufacturing. bad businees ethics, back stabbing bastards...there is a lot you can start on trail gear... :argue:

But I second Marlin and Inchworm, good companies, good people.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-05-2007, 02:20 PM
trail gear represents all that is wrong in todays business world in my opinion. What they do really sickens me. But everyone keeps on supporting them because they sell a part for a little cheaper than thier competitor. It doesn't matter that every part they make is a copy of someone elses part, and that they produce the part in china. All anyone cares about is that they saved 10 bucks or got a t-shirt. Quite frankly, if you have a trail gear sticker on your rig, do not expect me to give you an form of aid out on the trail.

Eckert
04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I dont want to spend 3K on something that i know i will eventually screw up. Id rather start off cheap and work my way up and start from scratch, rather than picking up where someone else left off. Im not dead set on this 4runner in a anyway but im not going to spend over 1500 for a vehicle. theres alot i can do with 1500-2000. im trying to keep an overall price cap at 5k.

i was thinking marlin for all the drivetrain needs, so thats good to know they're not criminals.

Shaggy
04-05-2007, 02:46 PM
good luck keeping it under 5k.... it never works out that way

Eckert
04-05-2007, 02:55 PM
looks good on paper though, doesnt it. haha. thats basically the reason for me wanting to start out cheap. that way im not in over my head before i know it. i will eventually pass the 5k mark (4link F&R, full cage, etc). but for now, thats what i want to keep it at.

tigweld
04-05-2007, 03:31 PM
trail gear represents all that is wrong in todays business world in my opinion. What they do really sickens me. But everyone keeps on supporting them because they sell a part for a little cheaper than thier competitor. It doesn't matter that every part they make is a copy of someone elses part, and that they produce the part in china. All anyone cares about is that they saved 10 bucks or got a t-shirt. Quite frankly, if you have a trail gear sticker on your rig, do not expect me to give you an form of aid out on the trail.

that has got to be the wierdest outlook on outsourcing I have ever read. the person that can produce it for the least can can also sell it for least, therefor they will probably sell the most. seems to me the easiest way to production is to cut out the R & D time and use a unpatented existing part not the most ethical but niether is alot of other business practices. If these companies were smart (or very concerned about product identity) they should get patent's on the pieces. I think there are plenty of other companies doing the same thing and a few even come to mind. yukon and professional products are 2.

BMFScout
04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Quite frankly, if you have a trail gear sticker on your rig, do not expect me to give you an form of aid out on the trail.

You'd really base whether or not you'd help someone out based on what parts are on their truck?

agjohn02
04-05-2007, 04:27 PM
victim: "please help chris, im on fire, it hurts so bad. my skin is melting off. look, its falling off. use your fire extinguisher. help!"

chris: "HA, no way, you have chinese parts on your rig. unlike my 4runner here."

TexTJ209
04-05-2007, 04:32 PM
victim: "please help chris, im on fire, it hurts so bad. my skin is melting off. look, its falling off. use your fire extinguisher. help!"

chris: "HA, no way, you have chinese parts on your rig. unlike my 4runner here."

Well, he would help...but his fire extinguisher was made in China, and doesn't work.

BMFScout
04-05-2007, 04:41 PM
It's all foreign sh!t, and is good for getting to work/gas mileage. On the trail, nothing beats American Iron! :stir pot:

TexTJ209
04-05-2007, 05:15 PM
It's all foreign sh!t, and is good for getting to work/gas mileage. On the trail, nothing beats American Iron! :stir pot:

How dare you put Chinese parts on a Japanese rig!

Reckless
04-05-2007, 05:21 PM
thats like a chevy with ford parts

TexTJ209
04-05-2007, 05:38 PM
thats like a chevy with ford parts

Glad you said it that way and not the other way around, otherwise I would've had to say "Better?" :gigem:

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Haha I like where this has gone. I don't have a problem with outsourcing but any of ya'll that browse around on some of the other boards should know about the 6-knuckle stories and Trail-Gear. Marlin outsourced the part to them and had an agreement that they would build the part for them, then Trail-Gear introduced the same 6-knuckles under their name. Trail Gear went into business with Marlin AND THEN turned their back on them and tried to put them out of business. Trail-Gear stole the Bent-Up FJ slider design and started lowballing them.

It is the same way LG got to be so big, started off as a chinese manufacturing plant, an outsource for the big electronic companies, stole a couple of design and price gouged the product and look at them now.

I have no problem with foreign products (obviously) but at least make your own designs, and for god's sake don't bite the hand that feeds you. Trail-Gear screwed over Marlin something bad and damn near put him out of business. Standing up and doing business straight is great, shows honesty and is the way you do business so that people will deal with you, Screwing someone in the ass, well that just makes you gay.

jerryg79
04-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Haha I like where this has gone. I don't have a problem with outsourcing but any of ya'll that browse around on some of the other boards should know about the 6-knuckle stories and Trail-Gear. Marlin outsourced the part to them and had an agreement that they would build the part for them, then Trail-Gear introduced the same 6-knuckles under their name. Trail Gear went into business with Marlin AND THEN turned their back on them and tried to put them out of business. Trail-Gear stole the Bent-Up FJ slider design and started lowballing them.

Mom what's hearsay?

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Mom what's hearsay?

Hey here is the Pirate LINK (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546531), make up your own damn mind. If i remember right some trail gear and marlin guys posted in there, but it has been a while.

Mom how do I be gay?

jerryg79
04-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey here is the Pirate LINK (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546531), make up your own damn mind. If i remember right some trail gear and marlin guys posted in there, but it has been a while.

Mom how do I be gay?

read that thread long ago, if i remember correctly there are quite a few varying stories in there as to what exactly happened.

TxCruzr
04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Its not hearsay, but thats not exactly what happened but close enough.
I met a couple of guys that are/were involved in one way or another over spring break and lets just say its a eff'ed up situation.

The red one looks a tad rusty...look long and hard like chris said to make sure the frame is atleast ok. Look in the thrifty nickel or their online site....lots of people have these sitting in their backyard wasting away and they have no idea what they have.

jerryg79
04-05-2007, 07:19 PM
I met a couple of guys that are/were involved in one way or another over spring break and lets just say its a eff'ed up situation.

The red one looks a tad rusty...look long and hard like chris said to make sure the frame is atleast ok. Look in the thrifty nickel or their online site....lots of people have these sitting in their backyard wasting away and they have no idea what they have.

Actually it is exactly hearsay.

Hearsay is "second-hand" information. It occurs when a witness testifies NOT about something they personally saw or heard, but testifies about something someone else told them or said they saw.

Whether or not its true has no bearing.

I trust your opinion, and their business practices are shady, but if you (not you personally) form your opinion based on the convoluded stories of 40 different people you've never met, that's dumb.

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
read that thread long ago, if i remember correctly there are quite a few varying stories in there as to what exactly happened.

Yeah you are right, it was while back but I don't believe it's hearsay and I can see damn near all of Trail Gear's **** is rip offed someone else, my opinion is to not support them. We don't have vendor's here and i can talk as much sh!t as I want and I think in this case I am backed up.

EDIT: you pulled out webster's on my ass about hearsay, and since I saw that no one actually posted up the true account (Chris and Matt just beat around the bush) we just don't know, but it doesn't take an idiot to look at their stuff and go jee I wonder where that came from?

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 07:27 PM

Paraphrasing is a b!tch aint it? They got the general idea, next time i will cite my source earlier, you want MLA style?

Reckless
04-05-2007, 07:31 PM
MLA is the devil.

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 07:36 PM
MLA is the devil.

x2

jerryg79
04-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Paraphrasing is a b!tch aint it? They got the general idea, next time i will cite my source earlier, you want MLA style?

seriously, you're an idiot.

mods trim the shat outta this.

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Seriously, **** you. :gigem:

PS- the smiley is only in there so you don't get butt hurt.

Eckert
04-05-2007, 08:16 PM
damn, talk about a hateful hijack! continue *****ing at eachother though. its more fun/interesting this way.

anyways. i didnt know the thrifty nickel had a website, thanks. whenever i go somewhere im always looking around for anything cool. im conviently going to be 20min from the red 4runner this weekend, so im going to stop by and take a gander, cant hurt. Ill inspect it and if the rust isnt bad and it drives/runs good, ill pull out 1000 cash and see if they want to deal. if not o-well.

also, was there a new law passed that makes it expensive to transfer a title? something about paying tax on full value possible value and not what you paid? or did i pull this outta my ass?

mudtoy67
04-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I think you pulled it out of your ass. I just got transfer title last month on my car and it didn't cost any different than other times. :)

Eckert
04-05-2007, 08:26 PM
F'in eh. awesome. ill try to find where i saw it at.

why is everyone get so pissed off? yall need to simmer down now. Is marlin still in business? has trailgear personaly screwed yall? ****, let it go already.

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
F'in eh. awesome. ill try to find where i saw it at.

why is everyone get so pissed off? yall need to simmer down now. Is marlin still in business? has trailgear personaly screwed yall? ****, let it go already.

I heard that too. BUT also think about what the value to them is for an 80s model 4runner, tell em you bought it for 500 bucks and it is in real bad shape,not much of a white lie.

Don't fawking tell me to simmer down! If i can't express my gaddamn opinion on the internet then where the fawk can i express it?!?! :p :D

mudtoy67
04-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Don't fawking tell me to simmer down! If i can't express my gaddamn opinion on the internet then where the fawk can i express it?!?! :p :D

There's a time and place for everything....it's called The Kitchen.

FJAggie07
04-05-2007, 08:36 PM
There's a time and place for everything....it's called The Kitchen.

Oh damn, my bad, I thought this was the kitchen. I don't even look at individual forums anymore... I thought he was asking opinions on the 4runner in the kitchen I didnt realize the thread was in classifieds...

Damn now I feel bad for the hi-jack. sorry man.

Eckert
04-05-2007, 08:39 PM
screw you chris! i think i saw it on one of your yota forums.

you got a wall nearby, go bang your head against it. that should take out all your rage. :D

*this thread was long gone before you hens started bickering. its past revival.

JB
04-05-2007, 09:44 PM
seriously, you're an idiot.

mods trim the shat outta this.

Why? :rolleyes: Relax...this thread is :rainbow:

JeepPhisherman
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
damn, talk about a hateful hijack! continue *****ing at eachother though. its more fun/interesting this way.

anyways. i didnt know the thrifty nickel had a website, thanks. whenever i go somewhere im always looking around for anything cool. im conviently going to be 20min from the red 4runner this weekend, so im going to stop by and take a gander, cant hurt. Ill inspect it and if the rust isnt bad and it drives/runs good, ill pull out 1000 cash and see if they want to deal. if not o-well.

also, was there a new law passed that makes it expensive to transfer a title? something about paying tax on full value possible value and not what you paid? or did i pull this outta my ass?

There was a thread about it on TX-TTORA. I looked it up and law went into effect Oct. 2006. Taxes are paid based on presumed value of the vehicle, ie. blue book value, not what you paid for it or said what you paid for it.

Only way around it apparently is gifting, I guess you just need a notarized letter from the owner saying they gave it to your for free, and you don't have to pay the tax.

mudtoy67
04-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Interesting. I didn't notice anything different when I transferred title on the corolla last month. I don't remember if I said it was given to me or not though.

jerryg79
04-05-2007, 11:01 PM
It's true, Texas followed 43 or someother number of the other states and tax is now based on what the state presumes is the value of the vehicle you bought, not what your bill of sale says.

PS, all I ever said is that whatever FgayAggieohKevin said was is hearsay, he never heard or saw any of it first person. He based his opinions on what other people saw or heard, that is what hearsay is. I say again, if you base your opinion of a product on the opinions/conflicting stories of people 1400 miles away that you've never met or seen, you are dumb.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Yes, if someone was on fire, I would help them. But if they were running trail gear parts, running a big sticker advertising that fact, and those parts were broken, then I would pass them by. Tough ****, thats how I feel about it.

I think I should have explained myself on it a little better though. I don't care about the outsourcing part. Its the business practices of Trail Gear and Chris Gieger I cannot tolerate. I have personally dealt with gieger on several occasions, and he is a ass. He tried to merge TG and Marlin, but hidden in the legal stuff was the basis for TG to fire marlin in a short time, and take all his plans and so forth. He backed out, and TG went ahead and stole everything anyway. Thats why so many products that were so close to being released, such as the front dig toy t-case have never been released. They are tied up in legal actions. TG has also been caught buying competitors parts, copying them, then reselling them on Ebay. I'm sorry, but I see no place for a company in the offroad community, and think that anyone who supports them just to save a buck is a piece of ****. End of story

CRaSHnBuRN
04-05-2007, 11:48 PM

sorry about how my little rant on TG kinda took over the thread. There was discussion about passing a law requiring payment on the bluebook value of a vehicle, but to my knowledge it never went into effect. I transfered my title in september, and it didn't cost much.

As for the 4runner, just be careful. I know I hate rusty rigs, but I have cut up alot of toys, and the rust on that one just looks bad. I mean when a smittybuilt bumper is rusted through as well, that is a warning sign to me that there may be unseen problems. The problem is the worse place for rust is not easily accessable unless you drop the gas tank. If the tank is sitting up against the frame (no gap), and there is alot of rust overall, I can almost gaurentee you may have a weak frame, if not a big hole rusted through there. Since its a 4runner, try to get him to let you pop the cover above the gas tank and look down at the frame. Its underneath the rear seat. And don't buy it just because its the first one to come along. Take your time and look for the good deal, especially if you plan on driving it for a while.

Eckert
04-06-2007, 12:50 AM
thanks about the info on checking for rust. i knew the rear of the frame by the rear hangers liked to rust out. what it looks like in the pic below is that there is a hole in the hanger. the only time ive seen that is if the rest of it is rust out. im going back home tomorrow will pass through caldwell, exactly were is the 4runner you where speaking of? is it easily visible from the road? bout how far outside of town is it? I keep calling my old boss and asking him over and over "is this a deal"? hes telling me the same thing. be patient for the right deal. I guess i dont want to pass up something only to regret it later on.

anyways, does this mean POS?

CRaSHnBuRN
04-06-2007, 01:54 AM
the hole may not be a problem, as there are holes built into the factory hangers. Its really not the hangers that are the problem, but the frame a few inches forward of them. Water gets in the frame, and seems to sit in that location for some reason. Also, the gas tank has a lip, that catches mud and stuff and holds it against the frame on the inside. This quickly causes rust, and the frame is only a 1/8" thick there. This combined with the stress that portion of the frame sees because of its location, and you have the possibility of folding the vehicle in half. I have one in the trash pit at my parents house that had exactly that happen when I hauled it off, and my cousin and me broke his in the exact same spot jumping terraces in a field

Eckert
04-06-2007, 02:05 AM
ill probably still go look at it to compare against others, but this whole rust issue has got me worried. at first it looked like it was only the fenderwells. but i guess if its that bad there, then it could be hiding problems else where, like you mentioned.

Eckert
04-06-2007, 02:12 AM
i just checked my e-mail and he sent me more. looks rusted around the coss member, but its late and i dont quite know where im looking at.

so...

CRaSHnBuRN
04-06-2007, 06:17 AM
oh yeah, other than the info given earlier, I can't tell you where exactly the 4runner in caldwell is. But I'm going home sunday morning, and will try to get the exact location on it then.

BMFScout
04-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I thought the Japanese invented ripping off designs? Ever heard of Microsoft?

Fred/Brett, you know anything about having to deal with ****ty Chinese reproduction parts of American "manufacturers" (That's in quotes because Americans manufacture less and less each year and it's going to be the death of this Country)

Can I still forge signatures on titles, or is that going to be outlawed too? "John Liebowitz didn't sign there? Well hell, hold on I'll be right back, I think I saw him in the parking lot. I'll go chase him down." My favorite when I flip something is to never take the title into my name, learned that from the Great Brandini. I don't think he's had a car in his name since the Nixon administration.

I thought I told you earlier to buy American, Toyota trail rigs are :rainbow: :) Busa went American, Joseph/David got rid of most anything that was foreign, Danny's Scout is b!tchin, take after their example :)

This thread sucks! :flipoff2:

uglyota
04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
That truck looks rusty, but look at the outside of the frame in front of the rear fenderwells. If it's not perforated it's good. Mine is perforated and hasn't broken. The parts you weld to are all double-thickness anyway

Sharpe
04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Danny's Scout is b!tchin,
If Danny's scout is "*****in" what does that make your's and Fred's? :flipoff2:

Eckert
04-07-2007, 04:05 PM
oh yeah, other than the info given earlier, I can't tell you where exactly the 4runner in caldwell is. But I'm going home sunday morning, and will try to get the exact location on it then.

I would appreciate if you would. Thanks

CRaSHnBuRN
04-08-2007, 01:23 PM
okay, here is what we have toyota wise coming down HW 21 through caldwell. The first is a beatup first generation truck near the railroad tracks. As your leaving town you pass a set of blinking lights near a church and the school. Just past this on the right hand side is a house out in the middle of a field. The 4runner is white, and is sitting to the right of the house. Just past this a mile or so is a county road, also to the right. There is a house just off the highway on that county road with another grey first gen truck sitting by the fence.

junior88mj
04-08-2007, 04:38 PM
theres an blue 86 ifs efi at auto star auto parts on hwy 21 east that they said runs and the body is good shape the interior is trashed $1100. clear title

CRaSHnBuRN
04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
is it new? there was a black one there as well, but the engine was gone allready

Eckert
04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
okay, here is what we have toyota wise coming down HW 21 through caldwell. The first is a beatup first generation truck near the railroad tracks. As your leaving town you pass a set of blinking lights near a church and the school. Just past this on the right hand side is a house out in the middle of a field. The 4runner is white, and is sitting to the right of the house. Just past this a mile or so is a county road, also to the right. There is a house just off the highway on that county road with another grey first gen truck sitting by the fence.

guy didnt want to sell the 1st gen truck by the fence since he was going to use it as a ranch truck. said it ran but had no title. if its still sitting there in 3 months ill probably bother him again. Stopped by the house with the white 4runner, no one answered the door. it has a SFA, its lifted, but looks rough and is missing the motor and who knows what else.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-09-2007, 09:56 PM
if you find a truck that is missing the motor, and can get it for a decent price, you may want to research the 3rz swap on pirate. Its the 2.7 4 cyl that came in the tacomas, and is alot more powerful than the old 22re. The thing is its nearly a bolt in swap, with the wiring being the only real difficult part. And even that has been extensively documented, and ready made conversion harnesses exist. The nice thing is these engines are not that hard to come by, are fairly cheap, and will easily run 70 mph with 35s while still making 17+ mpg. Yes, it may stretch your current budget somewhat, but I think several people have done the swap for under 1500 dollars, with great results. Just something to think about in case you find something nice that is missing an engine

CRaSHnBuRN
04-09-2007, 09:57 PM
did you check on the red 4runner? The one the thread was all about?

agjohn02
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
i saw a 4runner at ahmed's place out on 21

Eckert
04-09-2007, 11:21 PM
never got around to the red one. they did sell it for $1200 this past weekend though.
i think im going to cruise down 21 and look at the '86 tomorrow. and whats this ahmed? if i find a 4runner im not wasting much on a swap. thanks for the info though. there just no reason to when i got a 283, powerglide, and NP205 sitting at the house. looking to find something somewhat complete so I can slowly build it and not have to go balls deep right away.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-09-2007, 11:22 PM
was that the newer 4 door version? If so, last time I was there it was marked as being sold. Also the FJ-80 axle's were gone as well

agjohn02
04-10-2007, 12:51 AM
not it looked like a blue(i think) old body style, not the newer red one that was there a while back.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-10-2007, 12:53 AM
I may need to make a trip back out there as well and see what he would take for a set of rear springs from one of those trucks.

Eckert
04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
where are these places at?

CRaSHnBuRN
04-10-2007, 02:02 PM
next to Mack bolt and steel on HW 21

Eckert
04-10-2007, 02:44 PM
went and took a look at the blue 86. it doesnt have much of interior unless you count the aluminum cans. body is in decent condition. i dont think its worth 1100 though.

JeepPhisherman
04-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Nice truck, decent price

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/308476411.html

bcolman
04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Nice truck, decent price

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/308476411.html

but it is 2wd

JeepPhisherman
04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Didn't catch that.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-12-2007, 01:00 PM
2wd drives can be converted pretty easily. All you need is a front axle (which you need if its IFS anyway) and a t-case and tranny from a 4wd, which can be had for a couple of hundred bucks or less. They frames are actually better for performing a SAS because there is less to cut off and the front of the frame allows you to run a lower lift. Plus they are normally alot less abused and in better shape. If you can get one for a good deal, don't ignore it simply because its 2wd

Gearhead61
04-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah that project Quasimodo on Pirate started out as a 2wd truck... that sucker sure is purdy.